Old February 8, 2004, 19:31   #1
mushpuppy
Settler

Local Time: 17:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is Apolyton the only active SMAC forum left?
I've been looking b/c I was trying to remember how to modify the SMAC resolution so it'll remember my native 1600x1200 desktop setting.

FYI I did find the answer in the FAQ, so now was left only with this suprising realization. A great game and only one forum left for it. Amazing.
Old February 8, 2004, 20:07   #2
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Hello mushpuppy,

there are actually several other very good SMAC(X) sites. CGN , and Planet ACOL . Dreifels also has a very good site where he has done a screen capture of each step of playing a PBEM turn. FYI.
Welcome to the wonderful world of SMAC(X) online!

D
Old February 8, 2004, 20:20   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: November 3, 2010
For the benefit of the terminally lazy, how do you go about setting the resolution higher? I forget which file you need to edit.

EDIT: Alpha Centauri.ini
What confused me was the fact you had to add a line rather than edit an existing one.
Old February 8, 2004, 21:09   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:40
Someone needs to make a new FAQ thread, then.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 9, 2004, 15:33   #5
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
There is also the newsgroup "alt.games.firaxis.alpha-centauri". It is text-only, and, sadly, has been somewhat quiet for several months, with maybe one new thread a week. afaict, there are only a dozen or so serious posters there. When anyone posts an "Am I alone?" thread, I email an invitation to come here

As for the screen resolution, there is no setting for 1600x1200; it is not supported because there are no graphics in that size. I read (somewhere) that if your system setting is 1600x1200, the game will default to 1024x768. You can force only either 800x600 or 1024x768 by inserting a line in Alpha Centauri.ini (from readme.txt):
Quote:
Video Mode=800 or Video Mode=1024
This forces the screen resolution to either of these two sizes.
Old February 9, 2004, 21:47   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I guess that means 1280 is also out.
Thanks gwillybj.

Jam, the main points are in the current faq. I did specify "terminally lazy" though.