Old February 10, 2004, 12:04   #1
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
TCP/IP game
This thread is to discuss possible TCP/IP game. I thought about some SMAC or SMAX game with no time limit, possible simultaneous moves. No tight gameing time schedule, just each meetings arranged when all players can devote some a couple or several hours to playing. No rush during play - strategy and roleplay first (that is why "no time limit"). Turns might last from maybe below a minute to over 10 or 15 minutes in some cases - i'm fine with that. We could probably make more turns in a week than usual pbem.

We would need to save the game (it would last several meetings at least). I am not sure how well it works - i have checked quickly TCP SMAC only twice. I played with many players TCP/IP civ3, but not SMAC/SMAX.

Would there be someone interested in such a game?
Old February 10, 2004, 14:15   #2
t_ras
ACDG The Human Hive
King

how how i wish i could play.
damm this ****ing FW i'm behind!!
"Some one told me former operators are not supposed to think much, that's good. I think that was the reason I took this job, ha, that and of course the fact the commissar said so." -t_ras: life through the former operators eye :)
Old February 10, 2004, 14:43   #3
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 18:44
I like IP games, available through the day on sat, all sunday (<-ideal really) and tuesday nights ... maybe some friday nights if im not going out aswell though its 50/50 at best. Normally unless its all european/american/asian etc then most ip games will take place on weekends due to time differences, when i want to play at the night you're at work and when you're ready to play its 2am for me and i need to sleep for work

Normally the host (though anybody can) just clicks save game like you do with a normal single player game and then when you next want to play ip you just get all the people together and load game, nothing complex.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old February 10, 2004, 14:48   #4
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

T_ras, you must be behind firewall, and have no possibility to lower it for the time of play?
-----------------------------
Flexible schedule of play sessions is one of top priorities here
About saves - will those saves be treated as regular multiplayer games with passwords? Or such saved game will be ok to download later as single player and turned into scenario - what will just show everything....?

Last edited by Mart; February 10, 2004 at 14:57.
Old February 10, 2004, 14:49   #5
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:44
I seem to be rather close to Lazerus -
he have GMT0, I suppose, Im havin GMT+2

Can play on weekdays almost 24hours!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 10, 2004, 14:52   #6
Lazerus
King

You both up for starting a game now ?
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old February 10, 2004, 14:58   #7
Mart
Emperor

i thought like maybe 4 persons....
Old February 10, 2004, 15:04   #8
Lazerus
King

4's normally best since it evens out to 2v2 but im just eager for a game, aint played a full game in ages.
Besides we can always start another more serious one at the weekend when player 4 shows up

Quote:
About saves - will those saves be treated as regular multiplayer games with passwords?
If a player enters a password yes it becomes protected like a pbem, otherwise (just like a pbem) if there is no pass it can be downloaded and played as a single player game.
Old February 10, 2004, 15:13   #9
Mart
Emperor

i think we may not wait for long.... It's a pity T_ras is behind a wall...
Code:
SMAC game, version release 5.0
(5.0 is update for compatibility with WinXP)
TCP/IP game

Factions:

Gaia's Stepdaughters	?
Human Hive		?
University of Planet	?
Morgan Industries	?
Spartan Federation	?
The Lord's Believers	?
Peacekeeping Forces	?	

Map size	?	?	?	54-108	|	///
Ocean		?	?	?	50-70	|	50-70
Erosion		?	?	?	Aver	|	Aver.
Life		?	?	?	Abund.	|	Aver.
Clouds		?	?	?	Dense	|	Dense
Difficulty	?	?	?	Transc.	|	Transc.	

Transcend	?	?	?	Yes	|	Yes
Diplomatic	?	?	?	Yes	|	Yes
Economic	?	?	?	Yes	|	Yes
Cooperative	?	?	?	Yes	|	Yes
Do or Die	?	?	?	No	|	No	
Flexible start	?	?	?	Yes	|	Yes
Tech stag	?	?	?	No	|	No	
Spoils of war	?	?	?	No	|	No	
Blind research	?	?	?	No	|	No	
Intense riv	?	?	?	No	|	No
No survey	?	?	?	No	|	No
No scatter	?	?	?	No	|	No
No rnd events	?	?	?	Yes	|	Yes
Time Warp	?	?	?	No	|	No
Iron man	?	?	?	No	|	No	
Rand person	?	?	?	No	|	No	
Rand social	?	?	?	No	|	No
Old February 10, 2004, 15:18   #10
Mart
Emperor

Lazerus, i need to leave for some time, let the players post preferences, i should be around in less than an hour
Old February 10, 2004, 15:23   #11
Lazerus
King

its quicker to launch the game and decide stuff in there since theres a little mini chatroom where everything can get sorted. BinT you up for starting an IP game in around an hour then ?
Old February 10, 2004, 15:30   #12
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

My preferences are all the same as for Mart except:

Rand social/person - yes
Map - any
Ocean 30-50
Erosion - Weak

Hope we get startin soon!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 10, 2004, 16:12   #13
Mart
Emperor

i'm back
Old February 10, 2004, 16:17   #14
Lazerus
King

ok, BinT said he'll host so he should be sending us the IP soon, not sure if hes hosted before so if he gets stuck ill just do it to save time.
Old February 10, 2004, 16:25   #15
Mart
Emperor

i have IP of yours Lazerus, ........firing SMAC
Old February 10, 2004, 16:25   #16
Lazerus
King

All these pm's are starting to irritate me so i've hosted a game, mailed you both the IP so cya in there

ps, do either of you have msn ? just to make this communication easier
Old February 10, 2004, 16:31   #17
Mart
Emperor

my email is:
xxmarcin777@hotmail.com
take out xx
it should show you i'm online
Lazerus, your version is below mine - do you have WinXP patch?
Old February 10, 2004, 16:55   #18
Lazerus
King

ok upgraded, everythings fine now
Old February 10, 2004, 19:30   #19
binTravkin
Emperor

Can play next tomorrow till pm17 GMT+2
Or next week from monday till thursday
Im not able to play on weekend - that time is sheduled for my girl

Hope you have time next week
Old February 10, 2004, 19:39   #20
Lazerus
King

All weekend ?? ... ah **** forgot its valentines ... lol yes i already have a present honest.
Well i've got football 2moro nite so its either friday,sat afternoon, anytime sun or tuesday next week again for me.
We can play it as a pbem in the meantime you know.

Interesting first 25 turns, bad start for me, only to push out and be met by the misguided brother Mart a border dispute solved peacefully with the uranium flats being halved between us. Expansion is going a little slow due to position on a small ofshoot blob from the mainland but techwise i aint too bad.
Old February 10, 2004, 20:02   #21
binTravkin
Emperor

Ok, than mart should send the PBEM file to you

Pm him to do it,so we get startin this mixed PBEM/IP thing!
Old February 11, 2004, 13:39   #22
Lazerus
King

Turn on to the Spartans ... I hate being stuck in a corner with loads of fungus blocking the paths out, i need room to spread like a virus
Old February 15, 2004, 08:41   #23
Lazerus
King

So are we all still up for playing on tuesday ? any time after 18:00 GMT is fine for me, gives me a chance to get in from work and get my dinner.
Old February 15, 2004, 09:08   #24
Mart
Emperor

might be difficult for me at that particular hour - let me see if i can adjust something
Old February 15, 2004, 10:55   #25
Lazerus
King

I'm free from that time onwards until about 23:00 GMT so we can start later, 7 or 8pm GMT if you want.

Are you both still busy tonight btw ?
Old February 15, 2004, 19:37   #26
Mart
Emperor

Lazerus, BinT is unavailable til Monday, he is often absent for playing on weekends. let us see how it goes on weekdays. Anyway i'm GMT-7, so when you have evening, it's my work hours. we have to find some good timing, i'll think about it
Old February 15, 2004, 19:55   #27
Lazerus
King

ouch -7 so by the time you get home from work at say 5-6 its midnight-1am for me
Its got to be weekends really if thats the case.
How'd you manage to play last tue ? holiday ?

Wheres the turn now anyways to keep the pbem part going
Old February 16, 2004, 06:18   #28
phsycho
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

If there is still a place left for me then i would really like to play a "real" smac game game again.
(all my local friends arent smac fanatics ... "ohh no the gfx." "ohh no .. i've no time" ... "ohh no .. to complex" lol)

i can play on workdays between 1900 - 0100 gmt+1
and on friday ... whole day
on weekend from late morning to late night

Is there a faction left for me?

XXXphsychological@gmx.netXXX
Old February 16, 2004, 06:31   #29
binTravkin
Emperor

Hey ya!

Im back!

--> psycho
Play anytime from monday till thursday (Gmt+2)
Only sometime between 3 and 9 am i must sleep a bit

Got IP/PBEM turn, will be processed in few hours!
Old February 16, 2004, 06:44   #30
Mart
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
How'd you manage to play last tue ? holiday ?.....
....don't ask