View Poll Results: What should Zones of Control be like in Civ 3?
Like in Civ 1 or 2, preventing all enemy units to pass by an army 4 20.00%
Like in Civ 3, where some units get a free shot on trespassers 7 35.00%
Fast units should be able to attack trespassers and enter a battle 5 25.00%
Other - please post 4 20.00%
There should be no zones of control at all 0 0%
You should use bananas to prevent units from crossing 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10, 2004, 12:21   #1
Optimizer
Prince

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Zones of Control in Civ 4?
In Civ 1 & 2 the Zones of Control forbade a unit - in peace or war - to move from a square adjacent to an enemy unit into another square adjacent to an enemy unit, unless entering aor exiting a city.

In Colonization there were no zones of control, but warships had the ability to slow down other warships.

In Civ 3, certain units had the ability to damage a passing unit.

What should ZoCs be like in Civ 4?

By the way - are there Zones of Control in SMAC or CTP?
Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2004, 12:29   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:44
I like Civ3's system but I would also like to see the Slow Down ability of Colonization, preferably as an editible option in the editor.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2004, 12:45   #3
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 17:44
Optional ZOC's in CTP.
MrBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2004, 13:28   #4
Plotinus
Prince

I'd like to see some units having Civ1 zones of control, which were quite powerful and interesting - although too annoying to allow to every unit.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2004, 01:17   #5
lajzar
Prince

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
fyi, I believe SMAC used civ2 rules regarding zoc. The spy ability in smac included a "ignores zoc" flag.

An important point to bear in mind when planning zoc and ranges in general is the actual scale of civ. on a 100x100 map, a tile is 180 km (112 miles) across. On a 256x256 gigamap, each tile is 70 km (44 miles) across.

So, I would say that zoc of control similar to civ1/2 should exist. It should have a maximum range of 1 for any unit. However, some units (guerillas, spies, etc) ignore zoc. Also, not every unit will exert a zoc. Briefly:

* Sea units only exert a zoc on sea tiles.
* Only sea units with missiles (ie circa 1960s tech onwards) exert a zoc.
* Any sea unit in battle can always retreat (unless it started the battle with more that 1 hit point) unless in a zoc or on a coast tile. This reflects the historical reality of trying to force battle on the high seas.
* Air units never exert a zoc.
* Land units without ranged weapons never exert a zoc, regardless of anything written below.
* Artillery that requires assembly in field does not exert a zoc.
* Land units which have fast movement may have a zoc.
* Land units with ranges over 1000 yards (essentially riflemen upwards) may exert a zoc.

"Exerts zoc" is a flag that is set for each unit, not enforced by the rough guidelines above.

"Ignores zoc" is a flag that is set for each unit, not enforced by the rough guidelines above.

Any unit with a ranged weapon should get a first strike ability if directly attacked, civ3 style.

---
eta: An additional thought.

Except or some units that have a really long range/speed combo, perhaps land units should only exert a zoc if fortified. Fortification in this context represents not only being dug into their main position, but also actively patrolling the surrounding areas. However, modern tanks are the only unit so far that seems to fit this category. It seems excessive programming for a single unit.
Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Last edited by lajzar; February 11, 2004 at 01:27.
lajzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2004, 18:09   #6
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 17:44
Hmmm, I do like the ZoC system in Civ3, 'cause I often felt that Civ2 ZoC was fine for 'War Game' scales, but was not truly accurate at the scale represented in Civ! I do think that units in forts should be able to exert a Civ1/2 ZoC when stationed in forts, though, and also feel that fast moving units should be able to 'intercept' units that get within X squares of them!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2004, 18:17   #7
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I voted other.

I think it depends on the unit. Can it shoot from afar (modern infantry...)? Can it move fast? Does it even WISH to block other units?? There may be other factors, and the question is how to integrate this the best.

Perhaps you could decide to give a task to a unit, just as we gave tasks to planes in Civ3. Everyone already knows how to use planes so... MAYBE.
Old February 11, 2004, 19:59   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:44
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Hmmm, I do like the ZoC system in Civ3, 'cause I often felt that Civ2 ZoC was fine for 'War Game' scales, but was not truly accurate at the scale represented in Civ! I do think that units in forts should be able to exert a Civ1/2 ZoC when stationed in forts, though, .
I agree with this
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2004, 13:55   #9
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 12:44
I'm not voting at the moment, but adding suggestions for discussion purposes. Some of the suggestion may not work together either - they are merely my attempt to throw out some ideas.

The suggestions below are not meant as my support of those ideas...

ZOC can be set up as the following - either it stops a unit cold in its tracks or it inflict damage on a bypassing unit. Both concepts can work together in the same system.

1. Unit catagory can be the following
1a. No ZOC exerted
1b. Soft ZOC - there is a chance of damage inflicted on a potential bypassing unit, but that attacking unit can still attack its intended target
1c. Hard ZOC - an attacking unit is stopped dead in its tracks

Bypassing a ZOC does not have to be an either/or setup of success/failure. The success in bypassing a ZOC can be a percentage chance based on the defensive army's unit composition.

2. Certain units can bypass a ZOC that is tied into stealth. Stealth units can also occupy the same tile as an enemy unit without detection. (the coding in SMAC shows that this can be done). Stealth detection is either with friendly stealth unit or by chance, (possibly based on the number of units in the stack.)

3. Certain units gain larger ZOC bonuses that are tied into mobility and range. Each mobile/ranged unit in the defending stack can have a percentage chance of stopping a bypassing unit.

4. If a particular unit does not exert a ZOC, having a certain number of non-exerting ZOC units on a tile will allow it to raise its percentage of stopping a bypassing unit. Sheer size should allow for a tile to be adequetely scouted.

5. Armies, as they stand in civ3, as well as forts/bases, drastically raise the ability to exert a ZOC (due to the ability of the great leader and organization inherent in a fort/base).
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 05:43   #10
Optimizer
Prince

Fast land and sea units could be given a "patrol" order so that they stay in one spot and attack all enemy trespassers within a number of squares - a bit like the air units' Intercept mission. Then you can protect a long coast by some Destroyers without the risk that a lone transport slips through.
Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote