Old February 12, 2004, 16:22   #151
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
But you started the bloody threadjack with your "three questions" way back when! And as I said, the "quote from the old book" was an answer by our standards.

Sorry, MrFun, but I can't start a thread exlusively to settle a beef, and PMs are too easy to ignore. This crap has to end. I might as well point out that you too are a "religionist" referencing an old book, and this isn't really a threadjack, as he's attacking the validity of the subject of the thread, Leviticus being part of said old book.
You have a beef?

That is really too bad.

Well, I am sorry (to the thread starter) if our tete-a-tete disrupted things.

But now Mr Elok is dead set on some kind of catharsis.

My take on the thread is clear as daylight:

The bible is an outdated old book that should have been dumped in the trash of history.
But people still want to run our societies in the info age based on these creaking, primitive scribblings.

There, I'm on topic.

Now, Mr Elok.
Are you ready to leave off?
Old February 12, 2004, 16:30   #152
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:46
Quote:
I'm prepared to admit that not all comes from the original Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic, given that most documents had fallen apart by the time that an English version was written.
And none of the documents that we have for that time period come from the originals. The bible is pretty good in that they have copies of manuscripts from the 2nd century, for the New Testament, and for the Old Testament, they have the dead sea scrolls.
Old February 12, 2004, 16:32   #153
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
The bible is an outdated old book that should have been dumped in the trash of history.
So, then we should also dump out Plato, Aristophenes, Aristotle, Socrates, Sophocles, and all the Greeks, because their works are old and outdated? How many Scholastics do we see today?
Old February 12, 2004, 17:03   #154
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
But you started the bloody threadjack with your "three questions" way back when! And as I said, the "quote from the old book" was an answer by our standards.

Sorry, MrFun, but I can't start a thread exlusively to settle a beef, and PMs are too easy to ignore. This crap has to end. I might as well point out that you too are a "religionist" referencing an old book, and this isn't really a threadjack, as he's attacking the validity of the subject of the thread, Leviticus being part of said old book.
Well I look forward to any discussion in regards to Leviticus in regards to the fact that it applied only to priests (OT term).
Old February 12, 2004, 17:38   #155
curtsibling
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

So, then we should also dump out Plato, Aristophenes, Aristotle, Socrates, Sophocles, and all the Greeks, because their works are old and outdated? How many Scholastics do we see today?
If the ideas are outdated, yes.

And that goes for other 'holy' tomes too, such as the koran and bhagavad-gita.

Last edited by curtsibling; February 12, 2004 at 17:47.
Old February 12, 2004, 19:52   #156
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Not a very good argument, Mr. Fun.

Section starting from Lev 19:1

The LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the entire assembly of Isreal and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.' "

He addresses, not just the priests, but the whole of Israel. There are parts of Leviticus that are devoted to priestly conduct, but Lev 20:13 is not among them.
Old February 12, 2004, 19:53   #157
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

curtsibling:

Quote:
If the ideas are outdated, yes.

And that goes for other 'holy' tomes too, such as the koran and bhagavad-gita.
So what is the criteria for an idea to be outdated? It cannot be just age, because that would mean we would have to discard the writings of the Greeks.
Old February 12, 2004, 20:37   #158
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
So what is the criteria for an idea to be outdated?
Things he doesn't like.
Old February 12, 2004, 20:39   #159
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Things he doesn't like.
Old February 13, 2004, 00:09   #160
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Not a very good argument, Mr. Fun.

Section starting from Lev 19:1

The LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the entire assembly of Isreal and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.' "

He addresses, not just the priests, but the whole of Israel. There are parts of Leviticus that are devoted to priestly conduct, but Lev 20:13 is not among them.
Leviticus 20:1

"The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Say further to the people of Israel: Any of the people of Israel, or of the aliens who reside in Israel . . ."

This is very similar to the section you quoted, but this one is introducing the same section of the famous quote homophobics like to use.
Howeveer, it seems that since Leviticus is mostly concerned with priests, that when God addressed all of people of Israel, he wanted all of them to know how their priests ought to conduct themselves.
Old February 13, 2004, 00:24   #161
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
How many Scholastics do we see today?
None, because it turns out they were wrong. Earth the center of the universe? Hahahahahahaha!
Old February 13, 2004, 01:43   #162
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Howeveer, it seems that since Leviticus is mostly concerned with priests,
There is a world of difference between 'mostly', and solely concerned with priests.

The passage in question, is directed to the people of Israel. When God speaks concerning priestly conduct, he explicitly clarifies his statement.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:13   #163
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

There is a world of difference between 'mostly', and solely concerned with priests.

The passage in question, is directed to the people of Israel. When God speaks concerning priestly conduct, he explicitly clarifies his statement.
I need to go back and reread the entire section that includes the favorite passage of homophobics before I can continue our discussion.
Old February 13, 2004, 04:39   #164
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
curtsibling:

So what is the criteria for an idea to be outdated? It cannot be just age, because that would mean we would have to discard the writings of the Greeks.
I look forward to you requesting to be treated according to the medical theories of Galen.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 13, 2004, 05:15   #165
curtsibling
staff

Quote:
So Americans and Europeans are the people of Israel?

Old February 13, 2004, 05:30   #166
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling

I got no discussion from anyone.

All I got was a quote from an old book, accompanied by egostistical smugness.
Instead they regurgitate dogma.
I asked some questions, and didn't get any sort of answer, apart from evasion and lame abuse.

My point that most religious people don't want to answer certain questions was soundly proven.

My point is done and dusted.

Now if you want to continue, it must be in another thread.

You know the rules about thread-jacking.

Both Elok and Berserker answered your questions; instead of engaging them on those answers, you ignored them in an effort to get a rise out of me. You then claim that no one has given you "any sort of an answer", and that we are being hostile to you for no good reason.

Your motives are clearly to entertain yourself by disrupting the conversations of those you dislike.

Ben, Elok, Dinodoc & Co., don't play his game. He just wants to see you get worked up over his Grand Pronouncements, because it makes him feel important. I wouldn't respond here again at all, but I hate to see you all wasting time and effort on this -- save it for the more open-minded individuals who are prepared to discuss things reasonably.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 13, 2004, 10:27   #167
Elok
Emperor

Local Time: 13:46
Okay, Curt, now you really are displaying ignorance. The coming of Christ redefined "the people of God" as inclusive of non-jews. Try to have some awareness of the major themes of the book you criticize, for crying out loud.

And you have not yet said why the Bible's age is an automatic disqualifier. I said it before: as a primarily moral text, the subject it addresses, human nature, has not significantly changed in the intervening years.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 13, 2004, 15:08   #168
Elok
Emperor

Oh, and in response to MrFun:

Let me make clear from the start that I am not screaming for the blood of gays or anything. I'm merely playing devil's advocate.

With that said, most of the distinctions between the behavior of priests and that of laity, in the Orthodox tradition at least, are tied to the sacramental duties of the clergy or their position within the community, not just as some higher standard of morality. God ostensibly calls all to sainthood. For example, the thing about celibacy (in parts of the Christian, not Judaic, tradition) is due partly to the need of Priests to be ever attentive to the troubles of their flock, and to minimize conflicting responsibilities. In Orthodoxy, it's that married men may join the priesthood, but priests may not marry, because of the need to avoid the scandal and awkwardness of one's parish priest and father confessor being one's ex-boyfriend, among other things. Regardless, the idea there is not that marriage is a vulgar thing as such, only that it is best treated with caution by the priesthood.

Also, how do you reconcile that idea with the concept of chastity? Do you envision homosexual marriage, or is gay sex not considered fornication by your view of things? Just wondering.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 13, 2004, 15:18   #169
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
He just wants to see you get worked up
Am I getting worked up?

His arguments just make him a tougher nut than most to crack. Just takes a little more patience, and perseverence.
Old February 13, 2004, 15:42   #170
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:46
Quote:
Let me make clear from the start that I am not screaming for the blood of gays or anything. I'm merely playing devil's advocate.
AHAH!
So you acknowledge Christianty is a Satanic belief!
Old February 13, 2004, 17:38   #171
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Oh, and in response to MrFun:

With that said, most of the distinctions between the behavior of priests and that of laity, in the Orthodox tradition at least, are tied to the sacramental duties of the clergy or their position within the community, not just as some higher standard of morality. God ostensibly calls all to sainthood. For example, the thing about celibacy (in parts of the Christian, not Judaic, tradition) is due partly to the need of Priests to be ever attentive to the troubles of their flock, and to minimize conflicting responsibilities. In Orthodoxy, it's that married men may join the priesthood, but priests may not marry, because of the need to avoid the scandal and awkwardness of one's parish priest and father confessor being one's ex-boyfriend, among other things. Regardless, the idea there is not that marriage is a vulgar thing as such, only that it is best treated with caution by the priesthood.

Also, how do you reconcile that idea with the concept of chastity? Do you envision homosexual marriage, or is gay sex not considered fornication by your view of things? Just wondering.
Obviously, I do not view gay sex as a sin, nor as fornication.

And right now, I'm pressed for time with my graduate studies, and unfortunately, before I can argue with your contention that the moral laws in Leviticus apply to clergy as well as lay people, I need to go back and reread the section and analyze it.
Old February 13, 2004, 19:17   #172
Elok
Emperor

In case I touched a nerve, let me emphasize that I meant "fornication" in the original sense of "sex outside of marriage," i.e., I was asking if you thought of gay sex as literal sex for canonical purposes, and within the context of marriage/adultery conventions.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 13, 2004, 19:45   #173
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:

Am I getting worked up?

His arguments just make him a tougher nut than most to crack. Just takes a little more patience, and perseverence.
Isn't pride a sin?

I seem to remember it comes before a fall.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 13, 2004, 19:59   #174
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Isn't pride a sin?
True. Still waiting for curtsibling though.
Old February 13, 2004, 23:56   #175
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
In case I touched a nerve, let me emphasize that I meant "fornication" in the original sense of "sex outside of marriage," i.e., I was asking if you thought of gay sex as literal sex for canonical purposes, and within the context of marriage/adultery conventions.
I have to refamiliarize myself with this part of the Bible more, before I can give a full, satisfactory answer.
Old February 14, 2004, 10:31   #176
Elok
Emperor

I know, I wasn't pressing you for an answer, I just didn't want to come off like a total insensitive ****er...
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."