View Poll Results: Is life meaningless?
yes 21 47.73%
no 14 31.82%
not if you have a big banana 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12, 2004, 06:52   #61
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
However I think the meaning of hedonism is only the pursuit of "pleasures" that are more on the physical/material and not the intellectual/spititual/cognitive side.
In which case I am not a hedonist. I agree on the meaning, which is why I don't consider myself a hedonist. I believe in maximising happiness, whatever that person believes happiness to be. If it is physical, then it is physical, if it is intellectual, then it is intellectual. People refer to a hedonistic lifestyle as wild parties, etc. which is now what I mean. That may result in the most happiness, but a longer life, at a slower pace, may result in more happiness. It depends on the person. If hedonism is pleasure in any form, then curling up in front of a fire with a book would be as hedonistic and a wild party, because it can give as much happiness, depending on the person.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 12, 2004, 06:53   #62
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I have answered that earlier. If the purpose of life is to create more life, then the purpose of life is still simply life itself.
The purpose of life is not to make more life, but to spread your own genetic information as much as possible.

Quote:
That is not a meaning, that is just a biological reaction to keep the species going.
I (or rather, you) did not say meaning. You used the word "purpose." Meaning is only a human thing, purpose exists in a broader scope. Take for example, a fish's gills. It has no meaning, but the purpose of these things are to filter out oxygen dissolved in water, allowing the fish to breathe.

It is a fine but important distinction.
Old February 12, 2004, 06:54   #63
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 18:48
I think the point of life is to be creative.

To leave behind art, music or culture to inspire future peoples.
Old February 12, 2004, 06:55   #64
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

UR: Very true. I would admit then, that some people's purpose, and indeed our species as a whole's purpose, is to survive and procreate. Furthering the species is a purpose. However I would still contend that that has no meaning. We live because we live, there is nothing more to it. Life is gratuitous, it has no meaning.

I also think we have biologically adapted that procreation, the furthering of the species, is pleasurable, so that in order for the individual to experience pleasure, the species as a whole gains.

Old February 12, 2004, 07:04   #65
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
However I would still contend that that has no meaning. We live because we live, there is nothing more to it. Life is gratuitous, it has no meaning.
I agree, life has no intrinsic meaning. As I said before, you can find a meaning for yourself.
Old February 12, 2004, 07:07   #66
Drogue
staff

I'm not sure I agree. I think you can find purpose. For instance, someone you love falls very ill, and you find purpose in helping them. However I wouldn't call that meaning. I think maybe we agree, but are using different terms. I see meaning as being intrinsic.

Old February 12, 2004, 07:23   #67
VJ
King

Quote:
Life is meaningless
Yeah. So?
Old February 12, 2004, 07:24   #68
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by VJ
Yeah. So?
I wouldn't expect anything else from a man with a Pat Bateman avatar

Old February 12, 2004, 07:24   #69
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The purpose of life is not to make more life, but to spread your own genetic information as much as possible.
I wouldn't say thats a raison d'etre, unless you say that evolutionary design equals purpose.
Old February 12, 2004, 07:24   #70
Urban Ranger
Deity

Suppose you decide to help those people in need as much as you can. I will say you have found a meaning for your life.
Old February 12, 2004, 07:25   #71
VJ
King

Quote:
If life only has meaning because we give it meaning, how can we console someone who is suicidal? Clearly, for him, his life has no meaning, and we ought to encourage him to off himself.
Yes.

Wait, you hadn't figured it out earlier than this?

Quote:
or you cannot rescue a person desiring suicide
"Rescue"?
Old February 12, 2004, 07:26   #72
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Suppose you decide to help those people in need as much as you can. I will say you have found a meaning for your life.
I would say you have found a purpose, but since, in the grand picture of things, what we do has no effect, I would say it is still meaningless.

I think I mean meaning as you mean intrinsic meaning, and I would use purpose for that, as you described above. Not only do I not think there is an intrinsic meaning, as in meaning belongs to life by it's nature, I don't think there is an external meaning either. Indeed, I don't believe there is a point to life either. You can give yourself purpose, and you could use the word meaning for that, but that is semantics. I agee you could find a purpose in helping others, but I do not think that classes as a meaning to me.

Old February 12, 2004, 07:27   #73
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I wouldn't say thats a raison d'etre, unless you say that evolutionary design equals purpose.
What's the purpose of your lungs? In other words, why are they there?

Along the same vein, why are individual organisams are here?
Old February 12, 2004, 07:29   #74
Drogue
staff

Quote:
To breathe

Quote:
To live.

Old February 12, 2004, 07:30   #75
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
I would say you have found a purpose, but since, in the grand picture of things, what we do has no effect, I would say it is still meaningless.
I see that you are a pessimist

Quote:
I think I mean meaning as you mean intrinsic meaning, and I would use purpose for that, as you described above.
Meaning is entirely a subjective interpretation though, while purpose is objective.
Old February 12, 2004, 07:34   #76
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:

You'd die without lungs. And without you your lungs would have no purpose.

You'd die out without procreating, but without procreating you would still have purpose.
Old February 12, 2004, 07:35   #77
Drogue
staff

Quote:
I see that you are a pessimist
No. I believe you can help people. I find it conforting that there is no meaning to life or to the world. When I mean the grand scheme of things, I mean humanity will end, at some point. There are a finite number of resources in the universe. That ending cannot be changed. I am usually regarded as an optimist, because I look on the bright side of things. I find it conforting that our actions, which having consequences in the short term, do not in the long term.

Quote:
Meaning is entirely a subjective interpretation though, while purpose is objective.
How do you get that? What makes one objective and one subjective. Purpose is what something does, why it is there. Meaning is why does it have that purpose, what does it hope to achieve. That's a bad explanation, but basically what I mean. I have a purpose to do something, but I don't think life has a meaning. If you believe your meaning in life is to make life better for others, than that is your purpose, to me. Your meaning would still be nothing, because there is no underlying meaning in being alive. Since there is no underlying meaning in being alive, helping others who are alive is also meaningless.

Old February 12, 2004, 07:37   #78
Dauphin
Deity

Edit -Forget that, I don't know where I was going with that.
Old February 12, 2004, 08:58   #79
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 12:48
Life has meaning only if you get up off your ass and make it so. That should ring true for those that believe in a god or those that do not. If a person can sit there and say their life has no meaning than it's only because they failed to give it a meaning.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old February 12, 2004, 09:09   #80
Drogue
staff

Some of us get off our asses but still realise that there is no meaning in life. There is no reason to be here. IMHO, you cannot give meaning to something that has none. There is no reason why life exists, nor does it matter. Our lives are merely our lives, whatever we make of them. There is no meaning behind it.

Old February 12, 2004, 09:39   #81
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Some of us get off our asses but still realise that there is no meaning in life. There is no reason to be here. IMHO, you cannot give meaning to something that has none. There is no reason why life exists, nor does it matter. Our lives are merely our lives, whatever we make of them. There is no meaning behind it.
So those people who say there is meaning to their life are telling a lie? Or simply deluded? And if you think that, who are you to say their life has no meaning.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old February 12, 2004, 09:51   #82
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 19:48
Life is meaningless...
Great, so I'm free to give it the meaning I want.
Isn't that wonderful?
Old February 12, 2004, 09:51   #83
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 13:48
Re: Life is meaningless
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
or is it?
Dissident, if you're too lazy to think through this question on your own and post your thoughts on it then you dont deserve to hear my thoughts on the topic. If the question has you stumped then at least admit it.

Eventually, if this thread is like most others in OT, it will decay into a shouting match between 2 or 3 people and most probably wind up discussing off-thread-topic. As a thread creator you have the responsibility to moderate the discussion to the degree that you are able to by continually posting in the thread to keep it on-topic.
Old February 12, 2004, 09:58   #84
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

From an individual point of view, the question is not interesting; but the role and place of life in cosmology is worth to be asked. I am under the impression that any answer we could find would be unpleasant.
Old February 12, 2004, 09:59   #85
Dauphin
Deity

I think Dissident is just feeling a little down, and so more inclined to be brusque. If you have thoughts, please post them.
Old February 12, 2004, 10:23   #86
Sprayber
Emperor

Re: Re: Life is meaningless
Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
Eventually, if this thread is like most others in OT, it will decay into a shouting match between 2 or 3 people and most probably wind up discussing off-thread-topic. As a thread creator you have the responsibility to moderate the discussion to the degree that you are able to by continually posting in the thread to keep it on-topic.
In order to push the jacking ahead, a general question to those that may be lurking in the thread but don't give a damn about the meaning of life.

Who is the reigning poly champing of post and run?
Old February 12, 2004, 10:38   #87
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
This thread is meaningless....

Life has no meaning or purpose, other than what you assign to it yourself.
Couldn't said it any better myself.
Old February 12, 2004, 11:11   #88
DaShi
Emperor

Life is a fairly isolated anomaly of random organic compounds interacting with one another. It should be examined carefully to determine what resources can be extracted for our personal benefit.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:58   #89
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:48
I expected more no responses
Old February 13, 2004, 03:06   #90
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I don't know if life has meaning. All I know is life. I do not know death. Perhaps there is something when we die. But nobody on EARTH knows... and that will remain true through all eternity.

It's absolutely stupid believe some other human being knows what happens when we die, because I can promise you, he doesn't. What makes this worse is that people are basing their faith on a two thousand year old book designed to keep order in Christian Europe.