Old February 12, 2004, 12:58   #1
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Netherlands – Golden Age.
In my current game, I am finding it excessively hard to time my GA using the Swiss Mercenary. At Monarch level play, I am finding the AI reluctant to attack it when it is in stacks with itself, or combined with other units - even as few as two. I have tried two strategies so far which have miserably failed. (1) Moving stacks around hoping to inefficiently use the SM to offensively clean up the very wounded; and (2) Sending single SMs into enemy territory to try to work a defensive win. The gods of Luck and RNG did not smile upon me, not to mention chasing the wounded around with single moving stacks was a farcical game of chase. I have considered using an empty city to lure the AI into a trap, and forcing it to fight its way out of being encircled, but that feels too much like an exploit.

A couple of questions: Will Magellan’s Voyage trigger a GA for the Dutch? And, other than “move up a level to where the AI makes more offensive units” does anyone have a strategy for triggering GAs with defensive units?
Old February 12, 2004, 13:41   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:49
bombard until an archer or longbow is down to 1 hp on grass or plain, then attack with a vet swiss merc

Magellan's will satisfy the seafaring requirement for GA. Can't remember if it did agricultural as well, don't htink so.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2004, 14:23   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 18:49
aatw's advice matches my own experience. That is just how I did it in my last game as the Dutch.

The AI seems particularly reluctant to attack your UU if you have not had your GA yet. In my last 2 games I have found the AI initially reluctant to attack Jav Throwers and Swiss Mercs but more inclined to do so once I had triggered my GA.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:27   #4
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

I was having terrible luck attacking units down to one hit point (the AI managed to situate itself on favorable terrain and got lucky), but the bombardment technique sounds good. It never entered my mind as I have a tendency to not think about bombardment units before arty comes into play.
Old February 12, 2004, 17:35   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

trebuchets aren't bad, neither are cannon. If desperate enough you could wait till you have a frigate
Old February 12, 2004, 19:30   #6
lethe
Warlord

Local Time: 17:49
Well, if he won't attack then just disconnect all his iron and horses. The AI will go for them before or later.

Off course, it could be seen as a fair handicap for the insane powerhouse the Dutch are. (In Civ 3, in real history their gambit for world domination fell a bit short. They ended up with a couple of towns and flood plains _below_ ocean surface level. And global warming about to strike. And I don't think Amsterdam is exactly poised for a 1 city cultural win.)
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2004, 19:39   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lethe
In Civ 3, in real history their gambit for world domination fell a bit short. They ended up with a couple of towns and flood plains _below_ ocean surface level. And global warming about to strike. And I don't think Amsterdam is exactly poised for a 1 city cultural win.

Depends on your definition of "culture"
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2004, 19:42   #8
asleepathewheel
Emperor

arguably much of amsterdam in reality would create negative culture, but many happy residents.

and man are they a powerful civ, one of my favs.
Old February 13, 2004, 05:38   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:49
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
bombard until an archer or longbow is down to 1 hp on grass or plain, then attack with a vet swiss merc

Magellan's will satisfy the seafaring requirement for GA. Can't remember if it did agricultural as well, don't htink so.
Magellan's on its own will not kick off your GA. The only Wonders with the Agricultural attribute are the Cure for Cancer, Hanging Gardens, Hoover Dam, Pyramids and Women's Suffrage. You'd need one of these as well.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2004, 12:19   #10
lethe
Warlord

Local Time: 17:49
It's Universal Suffrage these days MWIA. I refuse to build it on general principles. Giving blacks, women and poor people the vote was a serious mistake. (Ok, so that you all note it well, this was sarcasm! Ok, sarcasm! I am not a reactionary bastard.)
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2004, 13:03   #11
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Magellan's on its own will not kick off your GA. The only Wonders with the Agricultural attribute are the Cure for Cancer, Hanging Gardens, Hoover Dam, Pyramids and Women's Suffrage. You'd need one of these as well.
Along with Magellan’s, Hoover’s huh? I’ve never waited that late to trigger a GA. A GA kicking in at the same time as Hoover’s would be quite a swing. Maybe I should time a mobilization to coincide. But I don’t know if I can wait that long and I hate having my GA triggered for me. With the complete roughshod way I’ve treated all my neighbors (a luxury of having both Zeus and Knights Templar in a Monarch game) there’s no telling when the AI is coming over the hill.

I don’t know that I’ve ever built the Cure for Cancer or Longevity other than a one time one off to see the effects. And for the life of me, I can’t remember where Universal Suffrage falls on the tech chart (Democracy?).
Old February 13, 2004, 13:19   #12
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 18:49
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal And for the life of me, I can’t remember where Universal Suffrage falls on the tech chart (Democracy?).
Industrialisation.

You are better off trying to get your GA now with your UU.
Old February 13, 2004, 17:24   #13
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

There's another option besides UU and waiting for Hoovers.

Capture the closet city that contains an existing Agricultural Wonder first and finish building the Seafaring one second.

Or somewhat less efficent, build the Seafaring one, capture the agricultural one, and then build ANY great wonder, including Shakesphere's which has no traights.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote