Old February 15, 2004, 00:38   #361
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I heard on today's news, now even the father of the woman denies the alleged affair.
Old February 15, 2004, 11:21   #362
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
UR, don't you find it just a bit strange that the woman in a remote part of the world and not returning phone calls?
Old February 15, 2004, 11:44   #363
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 13:50
Not particularly; the American press is not exactly well-known for treating people with dignity, especially under these circumstances.

Face it, Ned: this is a big nothing. You don't like Kerry, fine; but don't trump up bullshit stories that are of no consequence even if they were true.
Old February 15, 2004, 14:39   #364
Ned
King

Alex Polier, the twenty-four year old journalist who could end Senator John Kerry's hopes of becoming the next president of the United States is alleged to have had a two-year affair with the front-runner for the Democratic nomination. Last night the rumours were in danger of becoming a full-blown scandal.

"This is not going to go away," one American friend of Miss Polier said yesterday. "What actually happened is much nastier than is being reported."

Miss Polier, a former intern who also spent some time in 1998 doing work experience at the Houses of Parliament in London, is in Kenya staying with Yaron Schwartzman, her fiance and a member of the country's fashionable young set. The couple have refused to make any comment on her alleged links with Senator Kerry, who is married to Teresa Heinz Kerry, an heiress to the food empire.

Miss Polier's parents, Terry and Donna, from Malvern, Pennsylvania, added fuel to the fire by claiming that Mr Kerry did pursue their daughter.

"I think he's a sleazeball. I did wonder if she didn't get that feeling herself," said Mr Polier. "He's not the sort of guy I'd choose to be with my daughter.

Miss Polier, a journalist who once worked for Associated Press, is a graduate of Columbia University, New York. She apparently met the senator as she was beginning her media career. Miss Polier and her fiance were believed to be hiding yesterday at the Nairobi home of Mr Schwartzman's parents, who moved to Kenya from Israel.

She appears to have few friends of her own in Kenya: she has never lived in the country and makes only occasional visits. "She seemed perfectly nice, although she was a little cool," said a Schwartzman family friend.

"She didn't seem to be very willing to open up but whether it was because she was aloof or just shy, I couldn't work out."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html
Old February 15, 2004, 14:41   #365
Ned
King

The victim:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	poller2.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	64378  
Old February 15, 2004, 14:55   #366
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 12:50
More stories like this would do more damage to Kerry's chances at the presidency.

Quote:
Kerry contributions linked to 'Big Dig'

By JOHN SOLOMON

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - A Senate colleague was trying to close a loophole that allowed a major insurer to divert millions of federal dollars from the "Big Dig," the nation's most expensive construction project. John Kerry stepped in and blocked the legislation.

Over the next two years, the insurer, American International Group, paid Kerry's way to Vermont and donated at least $30,000 to a tax-exempt group Kerry used to set up his presidential campaign. Company executives donated $18,000 to his Senate and presidential campaigns.

Were the two connected? Kerry says not. But to some government watchdogs, the tale of the Massachusetts senator's 2000 intervention, detailed in documents obtained by The Associated Press, is a textbook case of the special interest politicking that Kerry rails against on the presidential trail.

"The idea that Kerry has not helped or benefited from a specific special interest, which he has said, is utterly absurd," said Charles Lewis, head of the Center for Public Integrity that just published a book on political donations to the presidential candidates.

"Anyone who gets millions of dollars over time, and thousands of dollars from specific donors, knows there's a symbiotic relationship. He needs the donors' money. The donors need favors. Welcome to Washington. That is how it works."

The documents obtained by AP provide a window into Kerry's involvement in a two-decade-old highway and tunnel construction project in his home state of Massachusetts. The project had become infamous for its multibillion dollar cost overruns.

Kerry's office confirmed Wednesday that as a member of the Senate Commerce Committee he persuaded committee chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., to drop a provision that would have stripped $150 million from the project and ended the insurance funding loophole.

The Massachusetts Democrat actually was angered by the loophole but didn't want money stripped from the project because it would hurt his constituents who needed the Boston project finished, spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said.

When the "AIG investment scheme (came) to light, John Kerry called for public hearings to investigate the parties involved and the legality of the investment practices. However, he firmly believed cutting funding for the 'Big Dig' was not the answer," Cutter said.

Instead of McCain's bluntly worded legislation, Kerry asked for a committee hearing in May 2000. Kerry thanked McCain at the start of the hearing for dropping his legislation and an AIG executive was permitted to testify that he believed the company's work for the"'Big Dig" was a good thing even though it was criticized by federal auditors.

Asked why Kerry would subsequently accept a trip and money from AIG in 2001 and 2002 if he was angered by the investment scheme, Cutter replied: "Any contributions AIG made to the senator's campaign came years after the investigation. Throughout his career, John Kerry has stood up to special interests on behalf of average Americans. This case is no different."

The New York-based insurer declined to comment other than to say, "AIG never requested any assistance from Sen. Kerry concerning the insurance we provided the 'Big Dig.' "
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 15, 2004, 22:26   #367
Tingkai
Prince

Dino: Stop messing around. You're spoiling our fun. An election year is no time to talk about boring issues that actually affect people's lives. Follow Ned's lead and stick to stupid, pointless and incredulous rumours.
Old February 15, 2004, 22:52   #368
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:50
Does anybody else love it when the Torygraph repeats rumors published in Drudge and The Sun, without investigating it at all?
Actually, this is pretty common from the Torygraph, but I find it hilarious that Ned posts it as if it brought seomething new to make the accusations look valid
Old February 16, 2004, 03:18   #369
Ned
King

Ah, but this all look jucier and jucier, does it not. Vague hints from Alex Poller's friend about the scandal being "nastier" than thought?

Stay tuned.
Old February 16, 2004, 03:24   #370
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:50
Wow, so it's worth it ripping this woman from her privacy, if we manage to find an acquaintance's acquaintance saying something that could be interpretated as a sex scandal ?

The repugs should stick to documented "scandals", such as Kerry denouncing the war in Vietnam, instead of harassing people and throwing their whole rpeutation in the mud for the sake of finding a little troll-material
Old February 16, 2004, 03:26   #371
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Ah, but this all look jucier and jucier, does it not. Vague hints from Alex Poller's friend about the scandal being "nastier" than thought?
Friend? Real or fiction?

Since the girl's father went on record to deny this crap, that pretty much shuts the whole rumour mill down.
Old February 16, 2004, 04:02   #372
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 17:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Her she is, Alexandra Poller

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004071781,00.html

"THIS is the girl at the centre of a sex scandal that threatens Democratic front-runner John Kerry’s run for the White House.

Presidential hopeful Kerry, dubbed the new JFK, has denied claims he had a two-year fling with brunette Alex Polier. Alex, 27, was a cross-country runner and in the world affairs club at her Philadelphia school.

One source said: “She was attractive, intelligent and one of the leaders in her year.”

She went on to graduate from Columbia University, New York, and met Kerry, 60, as she began a career as a freelance journalist.

But a probe was under way yesterday into allegations that twice-wed Kerry seduced her after inviting her to join his campaign team in spring 2001."
First it there is no creditable evidence that this took place so no sex sland. Kerry isnot than Bill Clinton who try to seduce married woman in fornt of their husand.
I would like to sleep with Sophia Loren but it someone said I slept with her doesnot mean I slept with her.
Old February 16, 2004, 04:08   #373
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
More stories like this would do more damage to Kerry's chances at the presidency.

Quote:
Kerry contributions linked to 'Big Dig'

By JOHN SOLOMON

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - A Senate colleague was trying to close a loophole that allowed a major insurer to divert millions of federal dollars from the "Big Dig," the nation's most expensive construction project. John Kerry stepped in and blocked the legislation.

Over the next two years, the insurer, American International Group, paid Kerry's way to Vermont and donated at least $30,000 to a tax-exempt group Kerry used to set up his presidential campaign. Company executives donated $18,000 to his Senate and presidential campaigns.

Were the two connected? Kerry says not. But to some government watchdogs, the tale of the Massachusetts senator's 2000 intervention, detailed in documents obtained by The Associated Press, is a textbook case of the special interest politicking that Kerry rails against on the presidential trail.

"The idea that Kerry has not helped or benefited from a specific special interest, which he has said, is utterly absurd," said Charles Lewis, head of the Center for Public Integrity that just published a book on political donations to the presidential candidates.

"Anyone who gets millions of dollars over time, and thousands of dollars from specific donors, knows there's a symbiotic relationship. He needs the donors' money. The donors need favors. Welcome to Washington. That is how it works."

The documents obtained by AP provide a window into Kerry's involvement in a two-decade-old highway and tunnel construction project in his home state of Massachusetts. The project had become infamous for its multibillion dollar cost overruns.

Kerry's office confirmed Wednesday that as a member of the Senate Commerce Committee he persuaded committee chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., to drop a provision that would have stripped $150 million from the project and ended the insurance funding loophole.

The Massachusetts Democrat actually was angered by the loophole but didn't want money stripped from the project because it would hurt his constituents who needed the Boston project finished, spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said.

When the "AIG investment scheme (came) to light, John Kerry called for public hearings to investigate the parties involved and the legality of the investment practices. However, he firmly believed cutting funding for the 'Big Dig' was not the answer," Cutter said.

Instead of McCain's bluntly worded legislation, Kerry asked for a committee hearing in May 2000. Kerry thanked McCain at the start of the hearing for dropping his legislation and an AIG executive was permitted to testify that he believed the company's work for the"'Big Dig" was a good thing even though it was criticized by federal auditors.

Asked why Kerry would subsequently accept a trip and money from AIG in 2001 and 2002 if he was angered by the investment scheme, Cutter replied: "Any contributions AIG made to the senator's campaign came years after the investigation. Throughout his career, John Kerry has stood up to special interests on behalf of average Americans. This case is no different."

The New York-based insurer declined to comment other than to say, "AIG never requested any assistance from Sen. Kerry concerning the insurance we provided the 'Big Dig.' "
Every senator does this as it is legal by senate rules , Kerry mightnot like it but it would be suidale to not take special interest money.
Old February 16, 2004, 04:15   #374
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
UR, don't you find it just a bit strange that the woman in a remote part of the world and not returning phone calls?
I donot return phone call either. First that beautiful woman have the legal right to not return phone calls to than rag like the Sun.
Old February 16, 2004, 04:29   #375
Tingkai
Prince

Well, it is obvious why she didn't return the phone calls. She's got Iraq's WMDs.

She's obviously guilty. Does anyone really believe she went on a vacation to KENYA! No one goes to Kenya for a vacation except theives, pagans and adulterers.
Old February 16, 2004, 04:41   #376
Urban Ranger
Deity

She went to Kenya? Well, that's why she couldn't return phone calls
Old February 16, 2004, 04:46   #377
Mr. Harley
Prince

Oh, people, the Big Dig money included the entire Massachusetts delegation, they were trying to get extra money for their constituency. I disagree with how this is done, but almost all of our legislative representatives do it. That is a major reason the budget is out of control.

The "Kerry had an affair" - pro-Bush people are applying a double standard. You castigate people over reporting things on Bush Jr. (guard duty), and then you post marginal data on Kerry. You want real corruption, the Harken energy deal. Come on, when he sold his stock, two months before it tanked, Bush was on the AUDIT COMMITTEE. For goodness sakes, what more do you want. Plus he sold the stock during the six month period he was required to hold it AS PER THE CONTRACT HE HAD SIGNED when his assets, so-called, were aquired by Harken. So he's broken a contract, and he does insider trading - other people had to make up the millions he didn't lose when they bought his stock not knowing it would tank. Widows, retirees, etc.

Then let's discuss Cheney's/Haliburton's contracts with Iran and Iraq in the mid-late 1990's. He contracted with regimes who murdered people wholesale. And when questioned he justifies it because it was perfectly legal, Haliburton went and organized seperate subsidiaries for it. Ethics or morals. Puh-lease. Both of these say volumes more on the so-called character issue. Admit you are making agenda-driven choices and you don't give a f*** what your guy did, and stop trying to muddy the other guy. If you had voted for a third party in protest the last several elections to protest that point, I'd respect your principles. Cut the b*** sh**, admit to being totally partisan, and admit you could care less about the morals/ethics. Just cut the hippocracy.

Also, even if it is true, Kerry's alleged affair, which is worse, that or DUI? DUI KILLS people, women, children, grandparent, etc. While Bush and Cheney got luck, Bush has one and Cheney has two. Since the AVERAGE number of times driving under the influence is approximately 200 before you are caught (multiple studies) you tell me who is more unethical. It's pure luck they didn't kill somebody during their drinking days.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old February 16, 2004, 09:07   #378
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
Every senator does this as it is legal by senate rules , Kerry mightnot like it but it would be suidale to not take special interest money.
Not every Senator is so obvious when it comes to rigging legistlation to benefit a contributor while at the sametime making hay out of "standing up to special interests."
Old February 16, 2004, 09:22   #379
The Mad Viking
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
"Guess what Lancer?

Half the married people engaging in affairs - ARE WIVES!!! "

Amazing stat! However 97% of all stats are pure BS...
Well, I forgot about the type of affair you are having with your googly-eyed co-worker...

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old February 16, 2004, 09:35   #380
The Mad Viking
King

Having read the last few pages of this thread, I am not sure why one would bother engaging Ned in any sort of discussion.

jimmytrick may be the same.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old February 16, 2004, 14:27   #381
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

A statement released Monday by Alexandra Polier, who has been the subject of rumors linking her to Sen. John Kerry:

"For the last several days I have seen Internet and tabloid rumors relating to me and Senator John Kerry. Because these stories were false, I assumed the media would ignore them. It seems that efforts to peddle these lies continue, so I feel compelled to address them. I have never had a relationship with Senator Kerry, and the rumors in the press are completely false. Whoever is spreading these rumors and allegations does not know me, but should know the pain they have caused me and my family. I am in Kenya with my fiance visiting his family, and we ask that the press respect our privacy and leave all of us alone."

A statement by Terry and Donna Polier, the parents of Alexandra Polier:

"We have spoken to our daughter and the allegations that have been made regarding her are completely false and unsubstantiated. We love and support her 100 percent and these unfounded rumors are hurtful to our entire family. We appreciate the way Senator Kerry has handled the situation, and intend on voting for him for president of the United States."

©2004 Associated Press

now can we move on to real news?
Old February 16, 2004, 14:33   #382
Ned
King

Which side went into the gutter first? Which side said Bush was a deserter with no evidence to back it up? Which side engages in defamation to muckrake?

Kerry is fair game. He defamed Dean. His party chairman defamed Bush.

Besides, the Kerry rumors begain with Clark, not the Republican camp.
Old February 16, 2004, 14:40   #383
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Which side went into the gutter first?
The Republicans in 1876. It's all gone downhill since.

Quote:
Which side said Bush was a deserter with no evidence to back it up?
The Boston Globe said it and nothing they've written has been refuted thus far.

Quote:
Which side engages in defamation to muckrake?
Both sides do, or have you forgotten the whole Ken Starr debacle?

Quote:
Kerry is fair game.
Yup.

Quote:
Besides, the Kerry rumors begain with Clark, not the Republican camp.
No, they began with Drudge. There is no evidence (so far) linking them to the Clark campagin other than Drudge's word.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 16, 2004, 14:47   #384
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
Ned, it's a real shame the hysterical lengths you'll go to in order to smear a Democrat.

Even most of your fellow Republicans have the decency to realize this affair nonsense was nothing but a sordid rumor without ANY substantiation. At least the Bush rumor (which I don't necessarily believe) has some verification in the fact that nobody can remember him showing up for duty.
Old February 16, 2004, 14:59   #385
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
At least the Bush rumor (which I don't necessarily believe) has some verification in the fact that nobody can remember him showing up for duty.
The media reported last week that someone does remember Bush serving in Alabama. His wife also said she remembers her husband coming home and commenting on it, which is what makes me think this is a lie. It just seems like they're trying too hard.

On the other hand, the Texas Air Guardsman who say he say some of Bushes files in a trashcan in 1997 has corroaboration from a fellow solider who confirmed two years ago the story (though he won't confirm it today other than to say the first solider is honroable and does not lie).
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 16, 2004, 15:05   #386
Ned
King

BTW, the AP is now reporting denials by both the woman and her father in terms that sound like they were written by the Kerry campaign. The father, who Friday called Kerry a sleaseball, now praises him and said he intends to vote for him.

This press release reeks of a coverup.
Old February 16, 2004, 15:08   #387
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 18:50
Jeez, what more do you need. Talk about being blinkered to the extent of being blind folded.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old February 16, 2004, 15:09   #388
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
This press release reeks of a coverup.
Or maybe the father wasn't quoted accurately at all. We are talking British tabloids here.
Old February 16, 2004, 15:11   #389
The Mad Monk
Emperor

He didn't deny the slimeball comment.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 16, 2004, 15:15   #390
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
He didn't deny the slimeball comment.
Was he asked about it?

Lesse, Associated Press vs The Telegraph, which one to believe, which one to believe?