Old April 27, 2004, 02:54   #451
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ya man change your post so you don't get in trouble.

Mis Novias
Old April 27, 2004, 03:32   #452
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 19:53
According to what I read, I believe Bush is right on the Najaf issue. That town is sacred to the Shia's. Going in there with guns blazing would be like bombing the mosque in Jerusalem or something. The hornets would really start to swarm after that.
Old April 27, 2004, 07:05   #453
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 17:53
It is not foolish for those who answer politically for what is happening to worry about fire fights in Iraqi cities. No doubt trained soldiers will kill fewer people caught in the crossfire than would I but no degree of professionalism can hope entirely to eliminate such casualties.

It is now being said that you can expect to be in Iraq for at least two years. My own guess is that two decades may be just as likely.

On that sort of timescale the task is not to win a series of fire fights but to cut the men of violence off from the rest of the people. And each and every civilian killed makes that task substantially harder.

Whether the task is doable at all I have no idea. It is certainly dauntingly hard.

And particularly hard on those like you, asked to be fired upon and not to fire back.

Keep your patience if you can.

And use every ounce of your professionalism to keep yourself as safe as you possibly can.
Old April 27, 2004, 07:39   #454
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:53
Re: Re: Latest news.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
That's bs man. How can we get the word out so we can put an end to that kind of madness? Anyway to send the story to the press? Maybe I should point the LA Times to your blog?
I don't want to be part of any hassle. The military has lots of rules and regulations about making public statements which it seldom if ever inforces but they drag them out when ever someone makes them look bad. If you say something to a newspaper then they will likely come looking for me and then I could get in trouble so please don't.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 27, 2004, 07:57   #455
Kropotkin
Emperor

Micromanagement worked great for Hitler! Kind of...
Old April 27, 2004, 09:59   #456
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Keep your head down Oerdin, and take care

(and I agree with Ollie - btw, if you can't fire your weapons, why do you go to these zones at all?)
Old April 27, 2004, 10:07   #457
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Re: Re: Latest news.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker

That's bs man. How can we get the word out so we can put an end to that kind of madness? Anyway to send the story to the press? Maybe I should point the LA Times to your blog?
Don't be a moron Ted.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old April 27, 2004, 10:30   #458
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Oerdin - saw this on www.cnn.com today. IIRC you didn't think much of those Stryker vehicles...

Quote:
As the Pentagon is rushing to increase the number of armored Humvees in Iraq, the head of the U.S. Army Forces Command is complaining the reinforced vehicles don't provide adequate protection for U.S. troops battling insurgents, according to a memo obtained by CNN. In a memo to the Army chief of staff dated March 30, Gen. Larry Ellis writes, "Commanders in the field are reporting to me that the Up-Armored High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeling Vehicle (HMMWV) is not providing the solution the Army hoped to achieve." Ellis calls for doubling this year's order for the Army's new Stryker armored vehicle, and rushing them to Iraq. "It is imperative that the Army accelerates the production of Stryker vehicles to support current operations," the general writes.
Old April 27, 2004, 10:30   #459
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

doublepost
Old April 27, 2004, 12:40   #460
Auntie H
Settler

So what do you do for lunch now, just not get any??
Old April 27, 2004, 13:04   #461
oerdin's sis
Settler

I will add some power bar type things to my package!! I hope it gets there fast!!
Old April 27, 2004, 13:06   #462
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
Do you need lunch money?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 27, 2004, 13:19   #463
Kropotkin
Emperor

Don't give him lunch money, the nasty iraqi boys will just steal them.
Old April 27, 2004, 13:27   #464
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Auntie H
So what do you do for lunch now, just not get any??
MREs.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 27, 2004, 13:31   #465
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 11:53
I'm sending some instant noodles to Shang. But the package shipment time is around 45 day I heard.

I could send some to you too Oerdin if you like.

Grapefruit Garden
Old April 27, 2004, 13:35   #466
Oerdin
Deity

Well, I've found out that my team will be transfered down to Najaf for 30-90 days. The Forward Operating Bases (F.O.B.s) were just established last month during all of the fighting there so there isn't telephone or internet access. That means after tomorrow I might not be able to post for a good long while. I just want you folks to know so you don't freak out.

On top of that my detachment is moving off of the CMOC and is moving to the nearby Air Force base in Kirkuk. The move is only about two miles but the Captain feels the CMOC is to small and poorly defended so it might get over run if the hajjis ever tried to make a go at it. He is right in a way. There is only one perimiter wall and there are no fall back positions (other then the buildings) plus there is the added uncertainty of most of our guards being locals. I honestly feel the sufis are very trust worthy but when it comes down to it why should we take any chances if we don't have to?

The net effect is that we're all packing everything we own. I'm sorting my things into two groups. One are the things I will need while I'm deployed down in Najaf and the second is everything I won't need in Najaf but which I need to have moved to the Air Base. I have a few subjects I've been meaning to post about so after I finish up a bit I'll try to make a couple more posts tonight.

Last edited by Oerdin; April 27, 2004 at 14:08.
Old April 27, 2004, 13:36   #467
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

MREs.
Mmmmmm, sounds good

C-rations are tastier, but a lot more weight to hump through the bush.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 27, 2004, 13:57   #468
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
I'm sending some instant noodles to Shang. But the package shipment time is around 45 day I heard.

I could send some to you too Oerdin if you like.
I'm always up for some free food.

Everyone else: I've been meaning to tell you about Ghazi. Ghazi runs a small laundry matt here at the CMOC where he and his brother are paid $1200 per month in order to do all of the laundry for the soldiers and Sufis who are based here. That means something like 60-70 people turn in all of there laundry and he and his brother make $600 per month each.

How did Ghazi get into this line of work? Immediately after the invasion Ghazi helped the Coalition by reporting the location of several high ranking local Ba'athists, unfortunately, when the Ba'athists were arrested their friends came and shot Ghazi's dad and then burned down their house/store. That meant that the family's primary bread winner was dead and their family business was now up in smoke. Ghazi came to the CMOC and told the Major that he was sorry his family had suffered so much but that if he had to do it over again he'd still make the same choice. That's how stongly the Kurds feel about the crimes the Ba'athists commited.

Out of sympathy the Major let Ghazi open a laundry matt on the CMOC free of charge and since Ghazi didn't have any money to pay for equipment the Civil Affairs Company gave it to him as part of a small business grant. Everything was bought second hand so I doubt it cost more the $4000-$5000 dollars. It's a small way of saying thank you but I think we need to help people like Ghazi as much as we can because much of the success or failure of Iraq will depend upon earning the trust of the Ghazis of this country.
Old April 27, 2004, 14:01   #469
chequita guevara
Emperor

You're in my thoughts an awful lot these days, Oerdin.

I don't know what good that does you, but I thought I should mention it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Last edited by chequita guevara; April 27, 2004 at 16:51.
Old April 27, 2004, 14:23   #470
Auntie H
Settler

Please keep a low profile and don't take ANY unnecessary chances in Najaf, it sounds very dicey there. Keep the kevlar on at ALL times. We love you.
Old April 27, 2004, 14:24   #471
oerdin's sis
Settler

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Oerdin

Everyone else: I've been meaning to tell you about Ghazi. Ghazi runs a small laundry matt here at the CMOC where he and his brother are paid $1200 per month in order to do all of the laundry for the soldiers and Sufis who are based here. That means something like 60-70 people turn in all of there laundry and he and his brother make $600 per month each. [QUOTE]

Is that good?? What I hear of the world, $600 USD sounds like a lot of money... much hard work- I barely keep up with laundry for 5 people- but well paid. Or am I wrong?? What does an 'average' Iraqi make per month??
Old April 27, 2004, 15:49   #472
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Barinthus
mmmm I wonder if the first amendment applies to those in military? Surely he can voice his opinions as long it's at an appriorate time (not under fire or whatever) and as long he's still following orders.
Actually, no. Military personnel have their constitutional rights superceded by the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). That's why they came to be called GI's...Government Issued. He would be at risk of punishment for ANY comment at any time that makes anyone in the chain of command above them look bad--even if true. Truth is no defense.

But, and thankfully, as Oerdin said, this is selectively enforced. So, let's not give anyone reason to come down on our friend.

Monk
Old April 27, 2004, 16:50   #473
Winston
Emperor

Good luck with your stay in Najaf, Oerdin.

Take care of yourself and know that you're daily in the thoughts of a lot of people from across the world.
Old April 27, 2004, 16:55   #474
lord of the mark
Deity

good luck, and stay safe.
Old April 27, 2004, 17:02   #475
Chemical Ollie
King

90 days in a shi'ithole like that, and no access to communications? Man, I feel your pain. Things look somewhat challenging there. Don't forget your suntan lotion.

In other news, dozens of guerillas have been killed in fierce fighting the Najaf area today. A C-130 gunship has been used in the battle. Artillery and tanks have been used in Falluja. How can these heavy weapons distinguish between friend and foe when used in such densely populated areas?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3662169.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3664991.stm
Old April 27, 2004, 17:44   #476
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
A C-130 gunship has been used in the battle. Artillery and tanks have been used in Falluja. How can these heavy weapons distinguish between friend and foe when used in such densely populated areas?
Any "friend" had ample opportunity to leave in the preceeding weeks. Remember that Fallajah is the place where the savages revelled in their attrocities against "our guys" a short time ago. Retribution was promised against the perps who did that and their supporters. With GPS, a C-130 gunship lays down a rain of fire that is accurate to within a meter. That is not so appalling when considered beside the indescriminate murder caused in a crowded market by suicide terrorists.

A better question might be just how is it that a building is considered by the "world" to be a sacred mosque when it is being used by bloodthirsty, weapons brandishing terrorists as a place from which to launch attacks.

It is time for muslim leaders worldwide to take a stand against this misuse of their religion and issue fatwahs demanding these rabble leave the holy shires and mosques. Their complicity of silence makes their claims that Islam is a religion of peace a sham. They cannot continue to have it both ways.

Monk
Old April 27, 2004, 19:07   #477
oerdin's sis
Settler

Amen!!!
Old April 27, 2004, 20:17   #478
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk
With GPS, a C-130 gunship lays down a rain of fire that is accurate to within a meter.
There are some marines who were in Nassirya who would beg to differ.
Old April 27, 2004, 23:25   #479
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Latest news.
EDITED

removed more nude pictures of AH

Mis Novias

Last edited by Ted Striker; April 27, 2004 at 23:49.
Old April 27, 2004, 23:33   #480
Oerdin
Deity

They bumped up my departure time last night so I'm now leaving in 30 minutes instead of tomorrow. See you all later.