Old February 29, 2004, 04:51   #121
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You could be screwed. Of course if you just stop showing up there is very little they can really do to you.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 29, 2004, 04:54   #122
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
Sorry, just not showing up is not in my character.

Besides, how could I live with myself if something were to happen to my platoon and I "just didn't show up"?
Old February 29, 2004, 05:01   #123
Oerdin
Deity

I was recommending it. I simply pointed out the fact there is little they can do about it to people who walk out at the end of their enlistment.

We had a fellow who refused to deploy to Iraq with the rest of us and nothing happened to him. I mean technically they could have called the MPs and had him arrested but there weren't any nearby active duty Army posts and even if there were I doubt it would be a priority for them.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 29, 2004, 15:35   #124
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:53
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO
Israeli intelligence gathering at work

I'm sure Israel has better ways to gather intelligence

I'm just trying to settle a dispute here in Apolyton. Oerdin can now finally shed light on the issues we've been discussing on Apolyton for almost a year now:

1. Do the ordinary Iraqis see the US troops as occupiers or liberators?

I've always claimed that the Iraqi people mostly see US as liberators and most claims against prolonged US occupation are provoked by foreign influences, rather than by common Iraqis.
That is to say, western lefties are angrier at temporary US control of Iraq than real Iraqis are.

Oerdin's posts show that even local Tikritis seem to like US soldiers.

2. Are the terracts performed by regular pro-saddam / anti-US Iraqis, or by foreigners who hate to see America win?

I always claimed that most actions are probably provoked by neighbouring states who fear an American success in Iraq would kill their regime.

I also suspected that just like in Chechnia or Afghanistan, a good deal of the terrorist attacks in Iraq is performed by non-locals, who are muslim fanatics.

Oerdin's posts seem to show that a large groups of terrorists are actually foreign (syrian, saudi, egyptian and so on).

The question remains, who (if anyone) is directing this? Or is this a popular cross-Islamic thing?

I hope Oerdin manages to shed some light on this, and I finally will get to say a big, fat I told you so to all the war critics.

Last edited by Sirotnikov; February 29, 2004 at 15:44.
Old February 29, 2004, 16:56   #125
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

While you're digging Oerdin, keep your eye out for the odd bundle of cash...
Old February 29, 2004, 19:16   #126
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
While you're digging Oerdin, keep your eye out for the odd bundle of cash...
huh?
Old February 29, 2004, 21:25   #127
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Remember all the millions that were turning up in the beginning? Might be a few bundles strewn about...
Old February 29, 2004, 22:37   #128
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:53
What's IED means? Thanks
Old February 29, 2004, 22:48   #129
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Improvised explosive device
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 29, 2004, 22:49   #130
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Improvised Explosive Device
Old February 29, 2004, 22:50   #131
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Okay, I guess it should be capitalized...
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 29, 2004, 23:33   #132
voidmind1
Settler

Article on IEDs here.

Accurate?
Old March 1, 2004, 00:05   #133
voidmind1
Settler

I've only seen one pic posted -- the one of the Humvee after the IED strike. I hope for more.

What would also be interesting, if possible (i.e. it won't get you in a load of trouble), would be to see what one of Psyop's "products" looks like, with translation back to English. I'm curious what messages are being put forward to the populace.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:44   #134
ajbera
Prince

How's Roscoe doing?
Old March 1, 2004, 04:03   #135
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Thanks, guys and for the link too.
Old March 1, 2004, 12:01   #136
pchang
King

Re: no arabic
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

We've all had numerous classes on Arabic culture plus I've read nearly a dozen books on Middle eastern history, Arabic and Kurdish history, Islamic history, IRaqi history, Arav culture, etc...

We have both US citizens and locals who work as translators for us and they go every where we go so communication isn't a problem. Also every product we put out goes through an extensive pre-testing process to insure its message is clear, that its culturally sensative, and that it won't offend the target audience.
So, a guy who knows the history, has actually been in the area before, and knows the language a little would really be in demand, eh? Good thing I'm too old to be drafted. (Actually, I'm pretty sure there is no way the Govt. would send me there in a regular army unit).

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old March 6, 2004, 14:11   #137
Winston
Emperor

What has happened? It's been a long time since the last update. (However, Oerdin posted in another thread 2 days ago, so no need to get alarmed, I trust.)

Just curious as to how things are in Tikrit after the move, and do we get to see any more pictures?
Old March 6, 2004, 15:49   #138
East Street Trader
Prince

I imagine that there are some folk in Iraq who were threatened by the previous regime, glad that it was toppled; and who are not resentlful - as yet - of the presence of foreign occupying forces.

Equally there will surely be plenty of adult Iraqis who were either privileged under the previous regime or at leats not threatened by it and it would be very strange if they did not resent the US and UK invaders. It is the common experience of invading troops to be attacked by the indigenous population. As evidenced by what happened between the indigenous north american indians and the invading Europeans, the aborigines in Australia, the French when invaded by the Germans, the British and the numerous countries they occupied and countless other cases. The fourth Geneva Conventions concerns itslf with detailed terms agreeing how it is proper for an invading force to deal with resistance. Which would not be necessary if the invaded did not, as they do, commonly resent the occupiers.

Children do not tend to share such views. If someone might give them candy they are not too proud to ask for it.

And levels of resentment in adults waxes and wanes. Indeed it may well be prudent to show an agreeable face to occupying forces. Whether you secretly aid and support thoise who resist their occupation or not.

You might try asking yourself how you might feel if your own country came to be occupied by an invader.
Old March 7, 2004, 09:16   #139
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ajbera
How's Roscoe doing?
Roscoe is doing just fine thank you. We had a bit of a row when the CO announced we'd have to get rid of him since owning pets is against general order #1 but luckily he changed his mind after the whole company protested. The Major is still a bit uneasy with let us ignore one of the general orders but he's agreed that if we keep Roscoe out of sight and we clean up after him then we can keep him.

Unfortunately, our other dog, Goonie, had to go plus the chickens ended up on the BBQ but we got to keep Roscoe and that's the important part.
Old March 7, 2004, 09:26   #140
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
1. Do the ordinary Iraqis see the US troops as occupiers or liberators?
It depends upon who you talk to and where you are. By and large the Shi'as like us (though they want control of their country handed to them), the Kurds love us, the Turkomen tolerate us, the Christians (3% of Iraq's population) like us, and the Sunnis dislike us. That said the majority of the local employees here at FOB Iron Horse (soon to be renamed FOB Danger ) are Sunnis so many Sunnis don't seem to hate us to much or at least they like money more then they dislike the US/UK.
Quote:
Oerdin's posts show that even local Tikritis seem to like US soldiers.
By and large the people of Tikrit hate us and are very pro-Saddam, however, most have learned not to fight us because then the Army makes their lives miserable. Thus a sort of uneasy peace reigns though that doesn't stop a few locals from lobbing in 4-6 mortors per night into our base.

Quote:
2. Are the terracts performed by regular pro-saddam / anti-US Iraqis, or by foreigners who hate to see America win?

By and large the concensus amoung the soldiers here is that most IEDs and direct fire incidents are caused by local pro-Saddam forces while nearly all suicide bombing incidences are the result of Wahabist foreign fighters. The big exception is Ansar Al Islam suicide bombers who are local Iraqis supported by Iran and affliated with OBL.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:29   #141
Oerdin
Deity

11 March 2004
It's been a busy time here in Iraq full of work, co-worker intrigue, and even a bit of interaction with the locals. Corky has been acting true to form and got bent out of shape with me the other day. You see we've been having organizational difficulties with each of our teams not talking to or knowing what the others are doing because Corky doesn't really know how to manage and office full of people. To help solve this a few of the other NCOs and I decided to make a list of common sense suggestions (a daily 10 minute briefing about what products are most important, a tracking bord to help us see what products are in what phase of construction/approval, etc. Plus there has been multiple cases of Corky claiming he's ordered numerous people to do things which no one ever heard him say thus we suggested he please write or e-mail use important orders so that there would be no more misunderstandings) to help improve efficiency and increase the quality of our work. I took great pains to make sure it was written in the most diplomatic phrasing possible and stressed that these were only constructive suggestions designed to help us all work better but of course Corky, ever insecure, took it as an attack upon his management skills.

He told us to shove our suggestions up our collective asses and then claimed he would have me court martialed for attempting to "undermine his command authority". Luckily, the Major stepped in and told Corky he was very dissatisfied with the way things are being run and that he wanted our suggestions implimented. I'm glade things are now running more smoothly but I'm afraid Corky is still holding a grudge against me.

In other news I got to spend three days up in Kirkuk and I have to say I like that city much better then Tikrit. Kirkuk is 80% Kurdish so there were no mortor attacks while we were there (unlike the 4-8 mortors per night we recieve in Tikrit) and the people seem to genuinely love the US & UK. In Kirkuk people always smiled and waved at us plus it seemed like every man, young or old, wanted to practice their English with us even if the only phrase they knew was "Hello, sir". Several of the kids have been learning English from the American soldiers and have become quite proficient; we're talking about them using American slang and even having the right accent. I've decided that I really like Kurdish food, which is much like Arabic food, which contains alot of spiced lamb, onions, and tomatos. You can get a gyro like lamb sandwitch for about $0.25 and often times they'll even throw in an orange fanta for $0.10 more. Heck, I even had one Kurdish father invite me over to his house to meet his daughter once I told him I wasn't married.

Back in Tikrit it seems the other GIs didn't feed Roscoe very well while I was gone because the dog got hungry and ate one of the chickens. I guess its no really loss since neither of them have layed eggs for the past month and all they seem to do is poop every where. Still it sucks to have to clean up feathers and chicken guts.

Last edited by Oerdin; March 12, 2004 at 05:55.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:35   #142
Oerdin
Deity

I almost forgot. The Big Red One (that would be the 1st Infantry Division) has ordered everyone to walk around on base with their 30 pound body armor and helmets on. I can understand making people wear it off post but since the hajjis only fire mortors at night this really seems like over kill. I'm curious to see what will happen when the weather turns warmer and we have soldiers getting heat struck because they are forced to wear 30 pounds worth of armour, plus a 7 pound helmet, plus carry a 12 pound rifle, plus ammo in 125 degree heat. So far no one has been wounded by enemy action on base since the base was established last April but several dozen were out of action due to heat injuries. If no one is being wounded then why give out orders which will surely lead to more soldiers getting heat stroke?

Only in the Army.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:35   #143
pchang
King

Wow
Oerdin has invented a time machine

Old March 11, 2004, 16:43   #144
pchang
King

How come you're an NCO? Didn't you go to college? All the college boys I know in the military are officers.

Old March 11, 2004, 16:47   #145
Oerdin
Deity

I'm 8 hours ahead of you here and it will be 3/12 soon.

I did indeed graduate from college but I enlisted before I finished school. I intend to get a commision in the Air National Guard after I get back home (in 11 months ) and hopefully go to flight school. I've been told that a bunch of pilots have gotten out of the Air Guard because they didn't want to go to Iraq so there are now plenty of slots available.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:49   #146
pchang
King

Re: 11 Feb 2004
I believe the title above says it all

Old March 11, 2004, 16:53   #147
Winston
Emperor

Re: 11 Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Heck, I even had one Kurdish father invite me over to his house to meet his daughter once I told him I wasn't married.
It seems the dangers of being stationed in Iraq are more numerous than anyone could prepare for.

Thanks for the latest news Oerdin, it's good to know you're managing things ok, despite the trouble with Corky.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:56   #148
Oerdin
Deity

I of course declined to meet the young girl but I still thought it was funny.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:58   #149
Oerdin
Deity

Re: Re: 11 Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
I believe the title above says it all
The act if not the day is over so I think it's ok to use past tense.
Old March 11, 2004, 17:31   #150
pchang
King

Feb was the important part