Old February 16, 2004, 14:53   #121
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 12:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Now why can't we have a "Two Palestines" approach in the Middle East?
Because the Pals won't play.

BTW, has anyone given thought to the fact that Taiwan is one of the leading developers of fusion power? It would seem to follow that they just might have a few suprises in store for the PRC armed forces if it came to invasion.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 16, 2004, 14:54   #122
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 20:56
because one of them's called Israel.
Old February 16, 2004, 17:40   #123
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 17:56
It only take one hight yeild Themonuclear Fission-Fusion-Fission bomb to explose at than certain hight attitude in the center of the USA to created than EMP strong enought with than enought energy for than long enought length of time to burn out all computer chips, electronic control equipment, powerline melting, power generate being burn out within than 2500 miles radius. Wallstreet will be unable to do bussien as all computer record would have being fry, Banks in america would have being close drown as electron tranfer of fund being impossible and with all computer banking record destory by the EMP. So it will only take one warhead to destory the entire America ecomocy plus the Canada, Mexico ecomony to boot.
Old February 16, 2004, 17:42   #124
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
It only take one hight yeild Themonuclear Fission-Fusion-Fission bomb to explose at than certain hight attitude in the center of the USA to created than EMP strong enought with than enought energy for than long enought length of time to burn out all computer chips, electronic control equipment, powerline melting, power generate being burn out within than 2500 miles radius. Wallstreet will be unable to do bussien as all computer record would have being fry, Banks in america would have being close drown as electron tranfer of fund being impossible and with all computer banking record destory by the EMP. So it will only take one warhead to destory the entire America ecomocy plus the Canada, Mexico ecomony to boot.
I'll have to check the science, but that absolutely strikes me as complete bullshit. It might be able to fry satelites, but the emp required to fry even electronics turned off at the time is enough to do series damage to people with its radiation as well. A single nuke isn't that powerful.
Old February 16, 2004, 17:59   #125
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

it would only fry the immediate area around it(10-15? mile radius), hence the whole point of the internet.
Old February 16, 2004, 18:19   #126
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mordoch

I'll have to check the science, but that absolutely strikes me as complete bullshit. It might be able to fry satelites, but the emp required to fry even electronics turned off at the time is enough to do series damage to people with its radiation as well. A single nuke isn't that powerful.
When we test our first H-bomb on Bikin Island in the South Pacfic the EMP set off every burgalar alarm in Hawaii Islands. In fact the nations that make hight yeild H-bomb's find away to enfance the EMP to make it stronger. All explosive have than EMP effect but is is very weak, short lives, and short range. Any Sun gemate than EMP effect also. That why in the modern world they donot do hight yield H-bomb test anymore.
Only vaccum tude electronic is immuse to EMP effect.
Old February 16, 2004, 18:21   #127
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 18:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
We took nothing from anyone, and gave something to everyone.
That something being missiles and bullets! But hey!

J/K

Due to China's growing economy, war is the last thing they will want - unless provoked.

It disturbs me that some Westerners seem to relish such a war.

Must be something in the water...

Last edited by curtsibling; February 16, 2004 at 18:26.
Old February 16, 2004, 18:39   #128
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO
BTW, has anyone given thought to the fact that Taiwan is one of the leading developers of fusion power? It would seem to follow that they just might have a few suprises in store for the PRC armed forces if it came to invasion.
There's a bit of dispute about that angle, but Taiwan does appear to have developed a weapon that's going to seriously complicate a Chinese naval invasion.
Quote:
Taiwan is now introducing the new Hsiung Feng 3, which appears to be a different beast from its predecessors, with Mach 2 speed and much greater range. Once again, details are sketchy, though press releases indicate that it can be vertically launched from shipboard "silo" tube.
http://www.vectorsite.net/twbomb9.html

A anti-shipping missile flying at over mach 2 is going to be very difficult for Chinese naval anti-aircraft defense systems to deal with. Furthermore, the missiles don't need to destroy the Chinese warships, just the transports with their men inside. If Taiwan is capable of sinking a large number of transports, China is going to need an even more massive sealift capability to have a chance at pulling off a sucessful invasion.

Last edited by Mordoch; February 16, 2004 at 19:40.
Old February 17, 2004, 14:28   #129
The Mad Viking
King

Yes, Bush is so committed to freedom and democracy that he does not support a democratic country declaring itself to be free of the control of a "communist" country.

PRC has no need to invade Taiwan.

Just like USA had no need to invade Canada.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old February 17, 2004, 15:25   #130
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Viking
Just like USA had no need to invade Canada.

You do have oil and a disturbing tendency to ship your musical crap down here.
Old February 17, 2004, 15:30   #131
Defiant
King

Yea, and that damn artic front always traveling across Wisconsin.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old February 17, 2004, 15:32   #132
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Some things that most people seem to agree on

1. Barring complete suprise ( unlikely given the sea transports required), US naval and airpower should be sufficient to stop a Chinese invasion of Taiwan-- Heck Taiwanese forces might be sufficient unless China missile barrages them to heck and back first

2. Invading China is not on.

3. IN a nuke war the US could "win' but the reality is that China could be nuked practically out of existence so the MADD principle should apply. Damage to the US would be significant.

I agree with the poster that seemed to think the status quo is working ok for all the parties and ANYONE upsetting the status quo could bring negative consequences. I don't see this war happening anytime soon. Looking at the costs and possible benefits the Chinese might be better served to consider taking some natural resources from Russia or pressing their claims to some disputed offshore islands that don't serve as hot buttons for US interests
Old February 17, 2004, 15:36   #133
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You do have oil and a disturbing tendency to ship your musical crap down here.
Also we have infiltrated your media .. . The US public won't know what to think when the Canadians make subtle alterations to various news reports.

Seriously though-- why would the US ever invade Canada?-- you have already purchased the country as far as I can tell.
Old February 17, 2004, 15:54   #134
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 10:56
If the war goes nuclear, the US can kiss its number 1 superpower status goodbye. Islamists would be celebrating Casablanca to Jakarta for months, and us survivors would be subject to the whims of the Berlin-Paris-Moscow axis.

Is that what you want, you warmongering freaks?
Old February 17, 2004, 15:59   #135
Defiant
King

Kiss our #1 Superpower rating?
Not in your lifetime or mine, even if we declared war on China, North Vietnam and Iran at the same time.
The US will never be short of firepower, that is what separates up from the rest.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old February 17, 2004, 16:24   #136
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 09:56
Re: Is China Preparing for War?
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
I've noticed an increased presence of the military lately. Especially aircraft. Everyday, I see or hear fighter jets flying over the city. In fact, there's one flying by as I type this. It's quite annoying. I can't hear the TV.

Anyway, this has been going on for over a week. Do you think something is up?
It's called diplomacy. I don't believe they have the capability to invade successfully. Even if they do it would be a horrible mistake for them, especially at this point.
Old February 17, 2004, 17:09   #137
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
If the war goes nuclear, the US can kiss its number 1 superpower status goodbye. Islamists would be celebrating Casablanca to Jakarta for months, and us survivors would be subject to the whims of the Berlin-Paris-Moscow axis.

Is that what you want, you warmongering freaks?
See. This is the problem with the rest of the world. We are such a misunderstood nation.
Old February 17, 2004, 17:31   #138
Patroklos
Emperor

There is no way that you could have a China/US only nuclear exchange.
Old February 17, 2004, 17:37   #139
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
There is no way that you could have a China/US only nuclear exchange.
So you are saying that other countries would want to join that kind of party?

My bet is that the world would batten down the hatches and try to ride it out.
Old February 17, 2004, 18:11   #140
VJ
King

This catch my eye when browsing:

Quote:
PLATO:
US [nuclear] arsenal is over 100 times the rest of the world combined [Russia not included].
I'd like to see a link.
Old February 17, 2004, 23:23   #141
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by VJ

I'd like to see a link.
The United State and Russia have more warheads than need or will ever use than a nuclear exchange it is call overkill. One ICBM denateing it 25 megton warhead with than EMP pulse lasting between 30 and 45 minutes will fry every computer chip, melt very powerline burnout every powerplant whitin 2500 miles radius in the right place and height. With America so depend on computer the America, Mexico,and Canada ecomony will collople. They talk about harden solid state electonic but the harden was never tested under than Powerfull EMP pulse. Vaccun tude are immue to EMP expect in certain case.
Old February 17, 2004, 23:30   #142
VJ
King

Quote:
The United State and Russia have more warheads than need or will ever use than a nuclear exchange it is call... blah blah
Umm... yeah, thanks for pointing out something I already knew and which had nothing to do with my request.

Btw, Mexico and Canada are both parts of America.

Quote:
By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.
This prediction has been drawn far too away to the future to sound plausible; a lot of things can and will happen during the following 96 years.

Now, how about that link?
Old February 17, 2004, 23:45   #143
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by VJ

Umm... yeah, thanks for pointing out something I already knew and which had nothing to do with my request.

Btw, Mexico and Canada are both parts of America.

This prediction has been drawn far too away to the future to sound plausible; a lot of things can and will happen during the following 96 years.

Now, how about that link?
Well nobody know how many warheads america and russia have and I would distrust any linked scource.
Old February 17, 2004, 23:54   #144
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by VJ

I'd like to see a link.
Sorry it took so long VJ...didn't catch your request until now.

http://www.cdi.org/issues/nukef&f/da...nals.cfm#China
Old February 18, 2004, 00:00   #145
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Russia needs to secure it's nuclear arsenal.

[/Pointless]
Old February 18, 2004, 00:24   #146
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 13:56
Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling

That something being missiles and bullets! But hey!

J/K

Due to China's growing economy, war is the last thing they will want - unless provoked.

It disturbs me that some Westerners seem to relish such a war.

Must be something in the water...
It's because there hasn't been a war on American soil for 140 years. Thus Americans in general have a very detached notion of war.
Old February 18, 2004, 00:25   #147
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Yes! Americans need a war on their soil.
Or at least near it.

Invade Canada!
Old February 18, 2004, 00:29   #148
Kuciwalker
Deity

That wouldn't work. A war requires TWO armies
Old February 18, 2004, 00:30   #149
VJ
King

Quote:
Sorry it took so long VJ...didn't catch your request until now.

http://www.cdi.org/issues/nukef&f/d...enals.cfm#China
Took so long? This is a forum, not a chat, everything within 24 hours is considered fast.

Thanks for the link, I kinda see your point now.
Old February 18, 2004, 00:32   #150
Kuciwalker
Deity

Back on topic, though - if it came to an all-out (though non-nuclear) war between the US and China, we'd probably have European support, especially given what China would have to do to get the US that pissed at them. If the US and Europe mobilized, China is GONE.