Old February 18, 2004, 18:12   #91
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have an article on this I can read.
Search in the archives here on Poly. We had rather a few threads with sources before 9/11.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 18, 2004, 18:26   #92
Defiant
King

Local Time: 18:07
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Search in the archives here on Poly. We had rather a few threads with sources before 9/11.
2.5 years ago, geeee, my computer is outdated since then, I think we have achieved some new technologies since then, especially if we poured a little resources into it. I will see what other articles I can find, I still don't see where he lied or change the data on this subject.
His boys said by the end of year it should be 90% hit rate, they are working towards, with apparently success, so where is the deception?

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old February 18, 2004, 18:35   #93
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
Quote:
Go away Berzerker.
I have not yet begun to fight
Old February 18, 2004, 20:18   #94
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:07
Re: Scientists Accuse White House of Distorting Facts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Anyone know any of the specifics that these scientists are talking about?
Nuclear Use Theorists.

Aka NUTS
Old February 18, 2004, 20:38   #95
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
The very idea of a President distorting facts is alien to the American experience, as was demonstrated by the presidencies of Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan. Is there no shame left within the 'Poly community?
Old February 18, 2004, 20:42   #96
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
@ Tripledoc
Old February 19, 2004, 00:38   #97
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:07
The warhead (target) got these enormous, radar-reflecting balloons attached to them, so as to make it super easy to home in on the thing.

I just found that hilarious
Old February 19, 2004, 00:39   #98
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
The very idea of a President distorting facts is alien to the American experience, as was demonstrated by the presidencies of Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan. Is there no shame left within the 'Poly community?
The point of UCS is Mr Geroge W. Bush's admin does it in a systemetic and widespread way that has not been seen before.
Old February 19, 2004, 00:42   #99
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
unfortunately, Americans have demonstrated a total sense of apathy and ignorance during the past 35 years.

now my generation cares more about britney spears and justin timberlake than what goes on in the world... they don't see how current events affect them. perhaps if there were a draft, they might start caring.
Old February 19, 2004, 00:43   #100
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The point of UCS is Mr Geroge W. Bush's admin does it in a systemetic and widespread way that has not been seen before.
I agree... but if the public doesn't care, I can't fault them for taking the slack we're giving them. I can only blame Bush so much... I place my blame on the American public... for being too ignorant, too misinformed, or too lazy to give a ****.
Old February 19, 2004, 00:51   #101
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I agree... but if the public doesn't care, I can't fault them for taking the slack we're giving them. I can only blame Bush so much... I place my blame on the American public... for being too ignorant, too misinformed, or too lazy to give a ****.
I think that's because it seems regardless what kind of corruption, dishonesty, incompetency, and scandals are found at the top, everything would turn out fine at the end. You look at Enron, Harken, and Halliburton, and the average USian doesn't seem to be affected at all.

So they don't care. Only when something hits home will they wake up.
Old February 19, 2004, 00:56   #102
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
I think that's because it seems regardless what kind of corruption, dishonesty, incompetency, and scandals are found at the top, everything would turn out fine at the end. You look at Enron, Harken, and Halliburton, and the average USian doesn't seem to be affected at all.

So they don't care. Only when something hits home will they wake up.
yup, and people are totally oblivious to things that indirectly affect them
Old February 19, 2004, 01:09   #103
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:07
What this thread needs is a ring, a few steel chairs, and a cage. Whoever climbs out wins.
Old February 20, 2004, 02:11   #104
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Scientists: Bush administration distorts research

WASHINGTON (AP) --President Bush's administration distorts scientific findings and seeks to manipulate experts' advice to avoid information that runs counter to its political beliefs, a private organization of scientists asserted on Wednesday.

The Union of Concerned Scientists contended in a report that "the scope and scale of the manipulation, suppression and misrepresentation of science by the Bush administration is unprecedented."

"We're not taking issue with administration policies. We're taking issue with the administration's distortion ... of the science related to some of its policies," said the group's president, Kurt Gottfried.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said he had not seen the report but that the administration "makes decisions based on the best available science."

White House science adviser John Marburger said he found the report "somewhat disappointing ... because it makes some sweeping generalizations about policy in this administration that are based on a random selection of incidents and issues."

He added, "I don't think it makes the case for the sweeping accusations that it makes."

Marburger acknowledged that the complaint was signed by a wide assortment of prominent scientists, including Nobel Prize winners and recipients of the National Medal of Science.

That, he said, is "evidence we are not communicating with them as we should and I'll have to deal with that."

"We need to have a dialogue about what is actually happening, but this report does not do it," Marburger said.

F. Sherwood Rowland, a Nobel prize winner for his studies of ozone in the atmosphere, was particularly critical of the administration's approach to climate change.

He said the consensus of scientific opinion about global warming is being ignored and that government reports have been censored to remove views not in tune with Bush's politics.

The union's report came at the same time the National Academy of Science was releasing its own study that commends the administration's plan to study climate but also expresses concern that the research was underfunded and not being pursued vigorously enough.

Asked if they had seen any political interference in the climate program, Thomas E. Graedel of Yale University, chairman of the academy committee, said his group did not look for that. But, he added, he had not seen anything that would suggest the research plan had such political concerns.

A commission member, Anthony L. Janetos of the John Heinz III Center for Science, Economics and the Environment, noted that the climate program involves high level members of the administration.

That's a two-edged sword, Janetos said. It means scientists are dealing with people who can make decisions and provide resources, but it also creates a challenge in maintaining scientific credibility.

Among the examples cited in the union's report:

• A 2003 report that the administration sought changes in an Environmental Protection Agency climate study, including deletion of a 1,000-year temperature record and removal of reference to a study that attributed some of global warming to human activity.

• A delay in an EPA report on mercury pollution from some power plants.

• A charge that the administration pressed the Centers for Disease Control to end a project called "Programs that Work," which found sex education programs that did not insist only on abstinence were still effective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
yeah... now CNN has picked up this story.