Old February 19, 2004, 21:54   #1
Dagnarus
Settler

Local Time: 18:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Newbie PBEM
Hey everyone. I'm really excited about playing this game but I'm really new. I was just wondering if any other new/intermediate people would like to play a simple, friendly, PBEM game with me. It won't be anything fancy, I just want to get my feet wet. Standard rules standard map etc. Even if you are good and would like to teach a guy like me a few things I would like to play with you. Really I just want to play. I'd even play TCP/IP but games take so long I'm afraid we wouldn't finish.

I really hope someone is up for this. You can respond here, email me at Dagnarus@fastermail.com or come to IRC room #mythicalhorde on the irc.gamesurge.net network.

EDIT: By the way this is an SMAC CLASSIC game. No alienX.

Last edited by Dagnarus; February 20, 2004 at 22:11.
Old February 20, 2004, 01:33   #2
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 12:10
I'm interested.

I'm fairly new to the PBEM scene, having been in only a few games, some aborted and some currently around turn 15 or so. How many players are you looking for?
Old February 20, 2004, 10:42   #3
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 20:10
Why do so many players disapprove of SMACX?

But ok, Except for some TCP/IP (unfinished) games, I haven't played against human players.
As long as the mapsize isn't bigger then 'normal', I'm happy.

You may write me in.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 20, 2004, 12:45   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
Why do so many players disapprove of SMACX?
I don't think they disapprove of smax-- I just think that it is hard to find for many people
Old February 20, 2004, 16:33   #5
Dagnarus
Settler

Yea It's not that I dislike it, I just don't have it.

I guess I'm looking to play with about 4-5 people.

Like i said standard map of planet (unless people hate that, then whatever you want) Standard rules.

I don't really even know EXACTLY how this works. I make a game, choose all of the human factions that will be playing, then go through my turn, save the file, and email the file to the next guy on the list?

Does the game email it automatically or do I have to attach the file to an email manually?

Edit: Players List

1. Dagnarus Desired Faction: University
2. Fosse Desired Faction: The Hive
3. GeoModder Desired Faction: Spartans
4. Sankis Desired Faction: Gaians
5. Guynemer Desired Faction:

Last edited by Dagnarus; February 23, 2004 at 00:09.
Old February 20, 2004, 18:13   #6
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 19:10
In a thread further down the page myself and a few others are trying to set up an IP game to play over a couple of weekends (a few hours a night then save it) if you're interested in that
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old February 20, 2004, 19:28   #7
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

I'll take the Hive.
Old February 20, 2004, 20:21   #8
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
I don't think they disapprove of smax-- I just think that it is hard to find for many people
Really? It's been what, 3 years since release? And I still see sold out actions of SMAC in some stores. Admittedly, can't remember if I saw SMACX in those same stores.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
In a thread further down the page myself and a few others are trying to set up an IP game to play over a couple of weekends (a few hours a night then save it) if you're interested in that
Yeah, I saw that thread. The one with Mart, isn't it? I thought that was already started? And the map size was huge, wasn't it?

But for this PBEM, I choose the Spartans before anyone else takes that faction from under my nose.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 20, 2004, 22:00   #9
Dagnarus
Settler

Yea I thought that was already started when I first read it too, because I didn't really read the whole thing.
Old February 21, 2004, 07:38   #10
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagnarus
I don't really even know EXACTLY how this works. I make a game, choose all of the human factions that will be playing, then go through my turn, save the file, and email the file to the next guy on the list?

Does the game email it automatically or do I have to attach the file to an email manually?
Usually, there is a CMN (a moderator) that organizes all.

He sends the paswords to the players and sends the first turn to the first player on the list. The players mail the turn to the next player in line AND post a message that the turn is sended in the PBEM thread.

So basically, we need to find a volunteer to supervise this game as well. His job is also to provide new players with their passwords if an existing player for one reason or another bails out.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 21, 2004, 14:34   #11
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:10
I'd like to join as Gaians.

I'm already signed up for another PBEM game, but who knows when it'll start. Anyway....

Standard Rules and Planet map is ok(Can it be the HUGE version?). but make sure directed research is on
Old February 22, 2004, 14:14   #12
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
I've never had a successful go at a PBEM, so I'd like to join in if possible. If not, no sweat, I'll find another; I can understand not wanting too many in the same game.

I guess I'll take the 'Keepers.
Old February 22, 2004, 14:58   #13
Darkmalice
Settler

Id try it. Never played PBEM AC/X.
Old February 22, 2004, 15:51   #14
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkmalice
Id try it. Never played PBEM AC/X.
um, Dagnarus tells in his first post that this is a SMAC game, since he doesn't has a SMACX.
But if you want to join, welcome.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sankis
Standard Rules and Planet map is ok(Can it be the HUGE version?). but make sure directed research is on
I prefer standard map, huge is just, well, to huge for me. And since this game is supposed to be a friendly one , we're not supposed to attack eachother the moments we find other players' locations.

Directed research ok,
I propose Do or Die, average native life, 50% ocean, weak erosive forces, and hidden map in the beginning.

Anyone else other proposals?
Sorry Dagnarus, If it feels I'm stepping on your territory Just like this PBEM to get started...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Last edited by GeoModder; February 22, 2004 at 15:58.
Old February 22, 2004, 16:46   #15
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

My only suggestion would be not to use the Map of Planet; it's much better when people have to explore the unknown.
Old February 23, 2004, 00:13   #16
Dagnarus
Settler

Darkmalice sorry buddy we've got 5.

Guynemer, what faction do you want.
note: I'm changing mine to University

It will be random normal map.
Directed Research.
Hidden map.
Average everything.

I guess PM me or Email (Dagnarus@fastermail.com) me with you emails and desired PW.
Old February 23, 2004, 00:17   #17
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagnarus
Darkmalice sorry buddy we've got 5.
Does that mean i'm in?
Old February 23, 2004, 16:18   #18
Dagnarus
Settler

Yea you're in. I have the list of people that are in in a post about half-way up this thread.
Old February 25, 2004, 18:51   #19
GeoModder
Deity

A little *bump*

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 27, 2004, 19:11   #20
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Anyone out there?
Old February 27, 2004, 20:42   #21
GeoModder
Deity

Yes, but Dagnarus seems to be missing.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 3, 2004, 00:47   #22
Mr. Harley
Prince

Bump this up a little - I'd love to play a SMAX builder game on a Huge map, whoever is still here post if you are interested. If we have enough, I think five is a good number, I'll try to find a CMN. I'll play the University, Cyborgs, or Morgan in that order, though I'll pass on the University if a less experienced player wants them - I'm fairly new to PBEM but have played the games since they came out. I'd say average everything, but go with 30-50% ocean becasue of how the computer biases in favor of water on bigger maps. If we want dense cloud cover to speed things up, and abundant life forms to discourage exploration (encouraging builders) and also to make Free Market a little less powerful, I could see that for balance. Any thoughts?
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 3, 2004, 10:48   #23
GeoModder
Deity

Well, I mailed the organizer (Dagnarus) of this thread the other day, but no response yet.

As for your request, shawnmmmcc, I'm willing to participate in a SMAX builder game, but I prefer a normal map, weak erosive forces so that their is a high relief difference. High native and dense cloud cover I have no problem with.

The reason I prefere a smaller map is that it also encourages building when everyone constructed 20-25 bases. By about that number a normal map is about filled with bases.

That is enough to let you manage your faction relatively easy and it encourages ingame diplomaty a bit as long as no human conquerors are around. Do I take it that when you say 'builder game', that the option 'Victory by conquest' is disabled?

Would you allow custom made factions? I like a seagoing faction, and I made a few more peaceful ones then the pirates are. Also, it could make a normal sized map game more appealing for the 'landlubbers' who like plenty of land to roam when they're 2 seafactions.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 5, 2004, 21:49   #24
Mr. Harley
Prince

OK Geomodder, this will be interesting, a smaller non-conflict map. If we can find the right CMN, it could be interesting. Why don't you post it as a request for a game to test out these new factions. Post the details, and even encourage everybody to try them so we see what works. There's a site where somebody made up a whole bunch of seagoing clones of the standard factons, I can't remember where but I visited it once. We should definintely go with 50-70% land then if we make this an ocean-going game. Plus I think there's a special game using custom ocean factions right now, you might contact the CMN and get those factions, see which fit, and try those too for variety. Let's keep the talk here till we have everything figured out, and then start the new thread.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 7, 2004, 15:05   #25
GeoModder
Deity

O, I didn't mean ALL factions to be custom made, only an extra seafaction so that more land is free for ppl who like a landbased faction on a normal sized map.

These are the settings I made for the seafaction I like to use:
^+2 POLICE and +1 PROBE: {Loyal citizens of a distinct culture}
^-2 GROWTH: {Accidents for the unattentive in a hostile environment and birth control}
^{May not use Free Market economic choice.}
^Free Deep Pressure Hull ability with discovery of necessary technology.
^Terraform Bonus: {Drowning your opponents is an option}
^Bases need Hab Complex to exceed size 4: {Small bases difficult to discover}
^Enhancements may be built in ocean and trench squares with the discovery of Advanced Ecological Engineering: {Trained for life at sea}
^Bonus mineral from ocean shelf squares: {Culture and technology adapted for the ocean}

I don't think it's an 'overpowering' one compared to the traditional factions. But might be a bit of an unexpected nuisance when the necessary techs are researched

The other seafaction, Pirates, should off course be included as well then.

And, I'm new to PBEM, so how do we search a CMN? Just post it here and hope someone answers?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 7, 2004, 17:02   #26
Mr. Harley
Prince

Actually, it's not too unbalanced - not being able to use Free Market is a massive hit - I'm willing to play with that, I'd really prefer a HUGE map - why don't you start a new thread with your suggestion and let's see where it goes. Post you faction, I'll play Pirates, Gaians, or Data Angels (haven't retried them since I discovered how to do FM), and let's see where it goes. I want someone to play the Pirates, and if not them then the Gaians, you need both groups properly played to see how your faction works .
Old March 8, 2004, 01:01   #27
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:10
Still need players for that SMAX game? If so, I'm up for it... a newbie here so beware
Old March 8, 2004, 09:41   #28
GeoModder
Deity

Ok, already 3 then, welcome DataAeolus.
I'm fond of 'normal' sized maps, shawnmmcc seems to like a huge map.
How about meeting in the middle then? Large?

I'll start a thread tonight. Need to check ACDG now , and get to work afterwards

SMAC(X) Marsscenario