Old February 20, 2004, 02:51   #1
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Unit Names for our Troops

A Ministry of the Interior Notice Board

---------------------------------------------------------

It is time to discuss the names for our Troops.

As we start with a worker, I believe we will be building a warrior first. So we need to name the unit.

Here are some to names to kick the discussion off:

Anthea, the Blondes

Dirke's Warriors

The Zephyr's

Sharp Blades

The Brides of Zeus

Last edited by Paddy; April 9, 2004 at 09:01.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 03:41   #2
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Some ideas

Trojans

Thebians

Spartans

Ares' Boys

The Damned
Duddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 13:08   #3
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
Suggestion: give the units numbers AND names. Like:

17 Anthea, the Blonde

It'll help to counter confusion about which unit is meant.
BigFurryMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 13:24   #4
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

That is good, thanks BFM.
Old February 21, 2004, 19:13   #5
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

Local Time: 11:11
Vander's Brigade would be fun....
and then refusing to decide
Vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 19:16   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
Yes, I would like an offensive unit named after myself as well.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 20:06   #7
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Yes, I would like an offensive unit named after myself as well.

Yes Sir, of course we can look into this for you.

Could you please supply some suggestions...

for you may not like some of our suggestions here at MoI for you:

Road Kill Warriors

Tree, What Tree??? Archers

Bugs in my Beard Riders

Huh, where am I, wow I'm driving the Archers

Last edited by Paddy; February 21, 2004 at 20:21.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 23:01   #8
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:11
I'd suggest that all our Hoplites be named after Greeks. First hoplite would have to be Markos, of course.

How about Philippos (lover of horses) for one of the horsemen?
Vlad Antlerkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2004, 02:49   #9
solax
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:11
In case you haven't read the other two threads (city and workers) we need more postings in here on warrior names!

THANATOS
Means "death" in Greek. This was the name of the Greek god of death who resided with Hades in the underworld

Like the idea of the Hopilite (city guardians) getting Greek names. Good suggestion Vlad
Old March 10, 2004, 07:08   #10
Paddy
Prince

Ok the poll for our 1st Armed Unit is up and running.

Please add more names to this thread to allow options in the next polls
Old March 10, 2004, 08:42   #11
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Not that we are anywhere next to it yet, but I would like to have the first Knight we have be renamed to "Sir Donegeal, First Knight of Apolyton", or "First Knight Donegeal". Yeah, I know, its a little early...

Warrior name: Grog (naturally )
It means "I want Tank!" in Greek (um... or something like that)
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2004, 10:30   #12
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
Alexander
Democrites
Philippos
Haemon
Creon
Alcibiades
Agathon
Eryximachos
Phaedros
Apollodoros
Glaucon
Aristodemos
Aristofanes
Euthyphro
Crito
Phaedo
Eteocles
Polynices
Oidipous
Heracles
Theseus
Perseus
Castor
Pollux
Achilles
Actaeon
Adonis
Aeneas
Aiax
Alcmaeon
Amphiaros
Jason
Apollonios
Atreus
Thyestes
Bellerophon
Cadmos
Cautes
Cronos
Daedalos
Diomedes
Ganymedes
Lacoon
Icaros
Aeson
Meleager
Menelaos
Midas
Minos
Mithras
Narcissos
Neoptolemos
Phyrros
Odysseus
Orestes
Orpheus
Paris
Patroclos
Polyphemos
Priamos
Prometheus
Epimetheus
Sisyphus
Tantalos
Telephus
Telemachos

These are a few Greek names some from literature, most of kings and heroes.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Last edited by Aidun; March 10, 2004 at 13:16.
Aidun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2004, 12:59   #13
Paddy
Prince

thanks for the list, these are great.

and are there any here you would specifically like to see?
Old March 10, 2004, 13:24   #14
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Diomedes.

He was a Greek hero opf the Trojan war. Together with Odysseus, his mate and no other helpers, he thought out a trick and killed an entrire Trojan regiment with it. Diomedes and Odysseus also stole the Pallantium, the big sculpture of Pallas Athena, goddes of wisdom and cleverness. Without Pallas Athena, the Trojans lacked strategic insight and the Oracle of Delphi predicted that only when the sculpture was stolen Troyes would be conquered: Toroyes fell by the use of a trick: the Trojan Horse, again a plan of Odysseus.

Both heroes were under protection of Pallas Athena.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old April 9, 2004, 08:55   #15
Paddy
Prince

wow we sure have some names here

looks like we will be having polls and ladders for ever

new names always appreciatted
Old April 10, 2004, 03:08   #16
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

We'll need another name soon. We'll have our fifth warrior in two turns.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2004, 09:03   #17
Paddy
Prince

cool

onto it
Old April 22, 2004, 05:16   #18
Paddy
Prince

Aidun has added a great list - thanks

yet are there other names out there that people are passionatte to see?
Old April 24, 2004, 04:53   #19
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 13:11
megaman
x
zero
Old April 26, 2004, 20:15   #20
Paddy
Prince

good stuff Zero

do we have anymore takers
Old April 26, 2004, 21:31   #21
Aidun
Emperor

Eteocles and Polynices were the sons and at the same time brothers of king Oidipous of Thebes (he had sex with his mother while he was unaware that it was his mother he was having sex with). After the King committed suicide Polynices and Eteocles declared war on each other and tried to become king by force, which resulted in civil war and they ultimately killed each other.
Then Oidipous' brother Creon became king by hereditary right. He ordered that Eteocles, who served Thebes in his view would be burried, but Polynices not.
Antigone, sister of them both didn't agree with him and burried polynices symbolically by throwing some sand over him, thus violating Creon's law. How the sorty ended you can read in Sophocles' Antigone, but I can tell you that its a real tragedy.

Aidun
Old April 27, 2004, 07:55   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:11
Additionally, some Greek Gods, Giants and others.

Hera
Rhea
Cronos
Athena
Apollo
Ares
Eros
Poseidon (the first ship, perhaps?)
Dionysus
Artemis
Demeter
Persephone
Hephaestus
Hermes
Hestia

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2004, 22:18   #23
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
Isn't Cronos usually spelled Kronos, or are they two different titans (the one with the K is the titan of time IIRC).

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
GodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2004, 07:34   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I have seen both spellings around (although admittedly one may be by a less informed source), and I think they are the same giant that fathered Zeus and other gods.

Old April 30, 2004, 12:10   #25
Aidun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Isn't Cronos usually spelled Kronos, or are they two different titans (the one with the K is the titan of time IIRC).
The real spelling is Kronos. The Greeks had and still have only one K consonant in their alphabet, the Kappa, with symbol K. The Romans, who copied but much of the Greek mythology and texts translated the Greek texts to Latin, in which the C consonant is more oftenly used, so Kronos became Cronos and Herakles became Hercules and there are more examples. Many names that in Greek end on -os became -us in Latin, therefore the form Cronus is also widespread.

The dominance of the C in Latin is still visible in English. English belongs to the family of Germanic languages to which German, Dutch, Flemish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandish, Frisian and East-Gothic belong too. In those other Germanisc languages the K is dominant (although in Dutch this K dominance is decreasing), while in English, which has been influenced enormously by both Latin and French (a Romanic language) the C is dominant over the K. In English there are almost no words that begin with a K.

Aidun
Old May 26, 2004, 07:53   #26
Paddy
Prince

we certainly are gathering some great names here
Old May 26, 2004, 10:06   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Shameless, Paddy.

We will shortly need a name for the barb-hunting Archer out of Hypnos - any thoughts?

BTW,

Deimos
Phobos

(I was playing Doom recently )
and
Daedalus

Old May 26, 2004, 12:35   #28
Tassadar500
Emperor

When are we going to start naming our units after people?
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 12:42   #29
Paddy
Prince

when they start getting listed on this thread, then they will be randomly added to the unit name polls

Old May 26, 2004, 12:44   #30
Tassadar500
Emperor

Nuclear Warrior
Master Horse
Nuclear Master
Horse Master
Nuke
NM

Last edited by Lord Nuclear; May 26, 2004 at 13:58.
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote