View Poll Results: Most Valuable Resource?
Iron 88 48.09%
Coal 39 21.31%
Rubber 10 5.46%
OIl 20 10.93%
Aluminum 3 1.64%
Uranium 5 2.73%
I want a Friggin' Banana! 18 9.84%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22, 2004, 12:36   #61
ErikM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
Most valuable is oil. Without oil you will not play in the modern era.

If you want to test value of oil vs XYZ, create a scenario with '0' occurance of oil && XYZ and see which hurts your gameplay more.

You can work around and play a decent game with about any other resource, but not without oil.
Without Iron, you may not be able to make it to the modern era.

As for oil and other modern resources... The game can be won before tanks, not to mention aircraft and other contemporary military toys, come into play.
Old March 22, 2004, 13:34   #62
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 11:12
Quote:
Without Iron, you may not be able to make it to the modern era.
Why not? If no Iron exists for ALL civs!!!!

Quote:

As for oil and other modern resources... The game can be won before tanks, not to mention aircraft and other contemporary military toys, come into play.
True, thus you voted for Horses or Saltpeter?

PF
Old March 26, 2004, 19:11   #63
Mace
Prince

Local Time: 12:12
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
Why not? If no Iron exists for ALL civs!!!!
PF
You might be able to get into the modern era without Iron, but how good would your civ be?
Old March 28, 2004, 17:52   #64
Last Conformist
King

Local Time: 19:12
I did get to the modern Era as the #1 civ without Iron (only to lose at the UN ...) in my one and only Warlord game way back when CivIII Vanilla was new. Really annoying to be Persia and never get a GA because I couldn't build Immortals and and didn't get the right wonders.

Despite that, I did vote for Iron. Lacking it basically messes up your entire civ from the mid-Ancient till the end of the game.

Number two would be either Coal or Rubber. Lacking the former messes up you infrastructure in the late game, and missing the later leaves you with a joke for an army post-Replaceable Parts.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok
Old March 28, 2004, 19:27   #65
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Definitely Iron. It's the only resource that's crucial from the ancient age to the modern age, or at least late industrial. It doesn't have the "cringe factor" the turn before it appears that Coal, Rubber or Oil do, but that's mainly because when Iron comes up, my games still have plenty of unsettled territory, and if I don't have any right now, I'm confident I can acquire some when I actually need it. In C3C, TOW Infantry makes rubber less valuable, since it is now possible to have a decent army without it, though you do have to wait until the modern era. Don't get me wrong, rubber may well be my favorite resource, since it lets me build marines, but that's different than most valuable.

My ranking would go as follows:

Iron
Coal
Horses
Saltpeter
Oil
Rubber
Aluminum
Uranium
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old April 2, 2004, 11:09   #66
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Last Conformist
I did get to the modern Era as the #1 civ without Iron (only to lose at the UN ...) in my one and only Warlord game way back when CivIII Vanilla was new. Really annoying to be Persia and never get a GA because I couldn't build Immortals and and didn't get the right wonders.

Despite that, I did vote for Iron. Lacking it basically messes up your entire civ from the mid-Ancient till the end of the game.

Number two would be either Coal or Rubber. Lacking the former messes up you infrastructure in the late game, and missing the later leaves you with a joke for an army post-Replaceable Parts.
Could you trade for it? I have had resoure deprivation before, but It only lasts until I find an AI willing to make a deal.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old April 2, 2004, 14:13   #67
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Often the AI will not have hooked up excess Iron and then if they do they are not always willing to trade it. It can be done though.
Old April 2, 2004, 18:09   #68
Last Conformist
King

Mad Bomber: The AIs resolutely refused to sell me any Iron. Not getting any RR was a royal pain.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok
Old April 2, 2004, 18:50   #69
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

No iron by the time of Steam is very stressful, that is for sure. I take it you had no place to capture any.

Last edited by vmxa1; April 4, 2004 at 12:55.
Old April 4, 2004, 04:51   #70
timmy84
Settler

Local Time: 18:12
I'm gonna say oil. For some reason, its always the hardest to find (even though in my current game, I'm the Middle East of the world), and my war machine doesn't start up until the mordern era (I'm a late bloomer).

Uranium seems to be a pointless resource. Unless you want nuclear plants or subs, or you have no problem angrering every civ (in which case, its the most important to your war machine). However, my civ has finally become complety self reliant (All I need to do is secure some furs and I'm set for all resources).
Old April 4, 2004, 06:56   #71
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Uranium is handy if you like Spaceships.
Old April 4, 2004, 14:18   #72
Last Conformist
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
No iron by the time of Steam is very stressful, that is for sure. I take it you had no place to capture any.
The only reasonably nearby sources were the territory of my biggest neighbours, the French. Today, I'd laughed at the numbers and gone bashed some frog-eaters, but, as said, this was early in my CivIII career and I dared not attack a bigger civ.

Old April 5, 2004, 06:14   #73
The_Unforgiven
Settler

definitely iron, facts and rails

Any Dutch Civ players? Check: www.dutchciv.tk
Old April 5, 2004, 10:16   #74
Lunacy
Settler

I want them to add coffee beans as a strategic resource. In the modern era that should make your civ much more hyper and industrious though you would be facing the risk that if the resource suddenly disappears your whole civ would sink into anarchy ;-)

Lunacy
Old April 5, 2004, 10:42   #75
LodeRunner31
Settler

Hello out there. I'm somewhat new to this forum but not to the game. I'm normally just a lurker.

Anyway, I normally play a builder style game. Recently, however, I'm trying to become a better war monger as capturing cities gives you more to build! So, in a game over the weekend, I picked Rome and started up a game.

Not a great start location, right on a flood plain so of course I got hit with disease while building my first settler. Guess I should have moved my settler in the first turn. Well, the map ended up being a pangea map and I was isolated on a large isthmus, with no iron and no horses anywhere close by. Lots of mountains and hills, but no iron. I decided to keep playing anyway (you know, for the challenge). It didn't take too long for everyone to start lining up to take shots at me and soon I found myself at war with half the other civs. I managed to hold them off until gunpowder...then, no saltpeter. Ctrl+Shift+Q.
Old April 5, 2004, 12:43   #76
Last Conformist
King

No Iron, no Horses, no Saltpeter? That's murder ...

Old April 5, 2004, 12:54   #77
gunkulator
Prince

I confess to being a Ctrl-Shift-Q'er if I don't get either Iron or Horses at the beginning. If I have either one, I can just go and get the other . Lacking both puts the kaibosh on any kind of ancient warfare.
Old April 5, 2004, 13:15   #78
Last Conformist
King

Well, Archer/Spear/Catapult stacks do work, with a bit of luck.

Old April 6, 2004, 07:02   #79
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 20:12
Quote:
Originally posted by LodeRunner31
I managed to hold them off until gunpowder...then, no saltpeter. Ctrl+Shift+Q.
Exactly.
That's why I made a difference between the most valuable resource (iron) and the one I pray all gods of the civ pantheon for (saltpeter).
No Iron? You discover that early in the game. If you don't want to take the challenge, Ctrl+Shift+Q and you start again, the evening is not spoiled.
No saltpeter? Man, you spent so many hours, to discover that so late , that's not fair.
No Coal? Great! You have a few turns before the infantries show up to 'take' some with your cavalry.
Old April 6, 2004, 08:56   #80
LodeRunner31
Settler

The lack of saltpeter was basically the straw that broke the camels back in this game. My strategic options were dwindling in number. Rome wasn't built in a day for a reason, Rome sucks as a peaceful builder. I was in a good defensive position, but it would have been hard to go on the offensive that late in the game. I was falling behind in techs and lacked the infastructure to catch up both militarily and in research.

I have gone through games successfully without saltpeter, however. As a builder, by that time I should have a pretty sizable empire and be kicking out new techs relatively quickly. I feel that I can hold out until the Industrial Era. I do love cannons and cavs, though.
Old April 25, 2004, 01:27   #81
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 3, 2010
After some initial uncertainty, reading this thread convinced me - Iron for sure. You often don't need the military in the early game, as there can be games with plenty of time/room to expand peacefully. HOWEVER, Iron is required for RRs, THE top improvement for the industrial/modern ages, and a number of city improvements in those times as well. Coal is needed for RRs and a few improvementsa as well, but militarily you can live without it, and you wouldn't feel any effects from a lack of Coal until much later. Oil is pretty crucial in the modern era, but at the same time there are alternatives and my games tend not to last that long.

So for overall necessity, over the entire panoply of history in the game, Iron is necessary for good military and domestic strength.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 25, 2004, 19:52   #82
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I've been changing my views on this...

Just before AU 502, I was playing a Celts game just for practice. I got the early game triple-whammy: No iron, horses, or saltpeter.

And ya know what? No problem. It's doable, albeit hard.

I'm starting to think in terms of the direst emergencies... what do you need to TAKE the resources you don't have, especially if forced into an intercontinental invasion?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 26, 2004, 03:51   #83
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well I must promote my precious...

No horses? Hope for the SoZ. Several 1.00 games of C3C I got this deal - no Horses but Ivory, and the SoZ solved that problem. By the time it went out of date I had conquered at least 1.5 civs and had Horses too.

Theseus - did you have no Iron for the whole game, or did you pick it up somewhere along the line? No Iron at the start is a b*tch, but doable if you have some luck. I don't like to think about what no Iron for the entire game would be like though...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 26, 2004, 11:58   #84
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

I went bananas.
The most valuable resource(s) are the ones you don't have. Especially if they are obtainable (by plowshare or by the sword).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old April 26, 2004, 15:17   #85
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

good point. even aluminum is important if you are going for space ship victory. good luck winning that way without it.
Old April 26, 2004, 17:05   #86
spy14
Prince

It all depends on what era ur in and what strategy you prefer (smaller high-tech force or hordes or cheaper lower-tech units?)

Personally a like a highly mobile high tech force
Old April 27, 2004, 20:14   #87
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Theseus - did you have no Iron for the whole game, or did you pick it up somewhere along the line? No Iron at the start is a b*tch, but doable if you have some luck. I don't like to think about what no Iron for the entire game would be like though...
I took each resource that I needed, of course... it was just an uphill battle. And that's exactly my point: what resource, in the lack thereof, is most likely to prevent that uphill battle? In a typical mid-difficulty game (say, emperor or lower), I think that home continent conquest is almost always possible, so the question should be framed for necessary resources that require an IC invasion.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 28, 2004, 04:15   #88
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

C3C armies has somewhat lessened the lack-of-resource agony. I started without iron/horses/ivory on a huge archipalego map. Even with the lighthouse trading were impossible.

My closest neighbour, the zulus had horses, the great wall and most important, tradelanes which could connect a lighthouse owner to the rest of the world. In PTW this would have been a very slow and painful war. But a couple of longbowmen armies, supported by tons of longbowmen/spearmen/trebuchet were able to make me forget the lack of resources.
Old April 29, 2004, 23:18   #89
Cerbykins
Warlord

We're looking on iron. Once I had to do without oil, so had the curious navy of nuclear subs to replace the normal ones I couldn't have, and went into space ANYWAY - getting the other civs ot fight the wars for me
I just had a situation where I had 50% of the map and no coal, with the rest of them having -3-
That would have been unfunny if that'd kept up, but no iron would have been worse. No swords...BAAAAAD...see the avatar...
Next age. No medi infs, no pikes, no knights. Again, at a time I normally want and need them.
Industrial age. No iron, no factory, so no plants in turn
No rails either, not that you care with no coal

Agreed, if no-one else has it, it's not so bad. But it cases where they do, iron is by far the most vicious, with coal following.

Lack of rubber may be bad, but in 2 years I've never suffered it. It just doesn't seem to be scarce, and doesn't deplete anyway AFAIK.
Old May 1, 2004, 21:21   #90
Mad Bomber
King

I would like to extend a thanks to all of those who have replied.

As of this writing Iron leads Coal 81-38 with Oil and the Banana option tied for third with 17 votes. My largest surprise of this poll is that the Nuclear club did not score more than 3 votes.

In retrospect I probably should have included Horses and SP.

The debate in the thread has been excellent, it was exactly what I was looking for when I opened this thread.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.