Old February 21, 2004, 14:27   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
In which all but the most conservative polypeople have a stroke...
On the Washington Post's frontpage today, I read a rather disturbing story. It wasn't actual news, just one of those "issues" summaries they trot out for slow days, but still very creepy.

Paddling as a form of punishment in school is still allowed in 22 of the United States. Specifically, Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Tennessee, and Texas allow it pretty much everywhere, and a minority of districts in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming allow it. It's banned elsewhere.

Maybe this is old news to some of you, but I find it thoroughly backwards that a good third of the country instructs its school faculty to "burn students' butts if they step out of line," as a former Vice-Principal of a middle school in Mississipi was quoted (the V.P. had resigned after being told to paddle a little girl for talking back). According to the article, 342 thousand students were paddled in the U.S. in the year 2000. It drove home the point by mentioning that in no part of the country is it legal to smack prisoners on the rear as a disciplinary measure...

Paddling advocates point out that the practice is strictly regulated; in Meridian, Miss., "three quick licks with an officially approved, quarter-inch-thick wooden paddle" is the maximum penalty allowed, and every state but Texas requires prior parental permission. But the idea that there's some kind of "arse-beating regulatory commission" to approve paddle thickness is even more depressing to me.

I really wonder why we care so much about evolution in schools, while crap like this is going on.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 21, 2004, 14:43   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 13:15
/me realizes he hasn't had a stroke yet.

I guess that means I don't care then.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 21, 2004, 14:45   #3
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
Re: In which all but the most conservative polypeople have a stroke...
Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
I really wonder why we care so much about evolution in schools, while crap like this is going on.
Becuase we are also able to walk and chew gum at the same time?

I agree that schools should be done with corporal punishment.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 21, 2004, 14:45   #4
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I went to private schools in Michigan and was paddled quite often. Actually, the teacher usually used a yardstick or pointer. I'm not sure whether or not I support it, but I will say one thing, there were alot less problems and the faculty had alot more control of the schools then they do now.
Old February 21, 2004, 14:49   #5
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 21:15
Old February 21, 2004, 14:53   #6
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I was never paddled in school, but I did get shut in a closet, though not locked. I guess they wanted me to be able to get out in case of fire, but I got out anyway, wandered around, then went back to the closet befoer the teacher showed up.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 21, 2004, 14:56   #7
Az
Emperor

Old February 21, 2004, 14:58   #8
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Az: Don't
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 21, 2004, 14:59   #9
Az
Emperor

WTF ?!
Old February 21, 2004, 15:00   #10
Az
Emperor

I am truely shocked that corporal punishment is allowed in the US educational system. This is disgusting, and shocking.
Old February 21, 2004, 15:05   #11
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 20:15
Old February 21, 2004, 15:16   #12
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

A principal once yanked me up by my hair. It only happened once.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old February 21, 2004, 15:32   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

A teacher once picked me up by the collar and pinned me against the wall for talking back and generally being an adolescent *****.

It only happened once, never had to happen again, and he remains one of my favorite teachers.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 21, 2004, 16:08   #14
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

It's tough love, folks.

Seriously...sometimes it's right IF they're young enough to not make the mental connection (which is one of the arguments in favor of paddling, but this is rare in a school environment.)

Otherwise, well, no.

There are many exceptions that make you want to smack the teacher upside the head instead of the student.

By the time the kid is old enough, paddling doesn't hurt anyway. It's just a joke if it's administered past a certain age.
Old February 21, 2004, 16:22   #15
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 18:15
I think Paddling is wrong.

It dosn'ty go far enogh to be quite honest. When i think back to how much time a certain 1 or 2 kids would waste pissing about, I reckon just sending the regular misbehaviourists to the head to get a cople of wacks with the cane would have been much better.
Old February 21, 2004, 16:23   #16
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 10:15
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Old February 21, 2004, 16:25   #17
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

This is disgusting.
Old February 21, 2004, 16:47   #18
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Re: Re: In which all but the most conservative polypeople have a stroke...
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Becuase we are also able to walk and chew gum at the same time?

I agree that schools should be done with corporal punishment.
I mean that evolution causes a huge hubbub, but the idea of whacking other people's kids on the rear as a perfectly normal disciplinary measure is just shrugged away. It's used for minor infractions, is the thing-talking back and tardiness were among the most frequent reasons cited by the article. I would wholeheartedly support a good butt-whooping for sexual harassment, because that kind of problem requires extreme remedies. But a little less than ten percent of Mississippi's kids get paddled each year, which sounds pretty huge to me for something as harsh as physically beating the kids.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 21, 2004, 16:51   #19
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I'm with Azazel 100% on this one
Old February 21, 2004, 17:13   #20
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

As a parent*, all I can say is:

I see nothing wrong with this. Deal with it, AZ. (and weren't you leaving, anyway? )

*When you give your opinion, can you please say whether you're a parent? Thanks!
Old February 21, 2004, 17:17   #21
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Can't resist:

Old February 21, 2004, 17:33   #22
Az
Emperor

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with this. Deal with it, AZ. (and weren't you leaving, anyway? )
Left, and came back. ( didn't say I was leaving forever, just for a month )

You see nothing wrong with this?

Do you think it's ok to beat up children to teach them a lesson?
Old February 21, 2004, 17:44   #23
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Do you think it's ok to beat up children to teach them a lesson?
When I was a little boy, my small brother used to bite my mom. She had to give him a huge slap in the face for him to stop- talking didn't work, and the situation had been worsening for weeks.

Sadly, there are some people who unly understand brute force. (Yeah, my brother is still like this today).
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old February 21, 2004, 17:46   #24
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Sadly, there are some people who unly understand brute force. (Yeah, my brother is still like this today).
He still bites your mom?

Still, This is rather "self-defence" case. There are a mulititude of other cases that don't have to be punished by force, and even this one doesn't. How about closing him in his room?
Old February 21, 2004, 17:50   #25
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

No greater teacher than pain.
Old February 21, 2004, 17:51   #26
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
He still bites your mom?

No, but he did hit her recently (he's now 18). She threw him out, and now he lives at my dad's house. Since my dad is huge and strong, he's not been annoying him (bastard).

Quote:
Still, This is rather "self-defence" case. There are a mulititude of other cases that don't have to be punished by force, and even this one doesn't. How about closing him in his room?
That's the point: what's so wrong with physical pain? Why must it be terribly worse than psychological torture (when you're a baby, spending a few hours in a dark closet is TERRIBLE).
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old February 21, 2004, 17:53   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Old February 21, 2004, 17:56   #28
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I support paddling. I went to all of my kid's teacher's and encouraged it. And I promised that they would get a matching spanking when they came home.

In cases where the teacher's did not spank them, I fixed that by giving a double dose at home when I got notification. If I had to go to school and research for disciplinary actions, they got the Biblical seven for one.
Old February 21, 2004, 17:58   #29
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I support paddling. I went to all of my kid's teacher's and encouraged it. And I promised that they would get a matching spanking when they came home.

In cases where the teacher's did not spank them, I fixed that by giving a double dose at home when I got notification. If I had to go to school and research for disciplinary actions, they got the Biblical seven for one.
Old February 21, 2004, 17:58   #30
Az
Emperor

Quote:
That's the point: what's so wrong with physical pain? Why must it be terribly worse than psychological torture (when you're a baby, spending a few hours in a dark closet is TERRIBLE).
not for a couple of hours. send him to his room, until he promisses not to do it again, and if he does, THEN send him for a lot of time. Then, he'll understand.