Old February 21, 2004, 18:01   #31
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hell, boys, in some districts in Teksus, we all still shoot the little mavericks in the ass with a shotgun load of rock salt when they act up.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old February 21, 2004, 18:04   #32
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
not for a couple of hours. send him to his room, until he promisses not to do it again, and if he does, THEN send him for a lot of time. Then, he'll understand.
You've not answered the real question. We live in a society that defines physical pain as the worse bad. Why?

Young kids are unable of moral reflexion- they only understand punishment and reward. You must punish them in a way. So, why is physical pain an inappropriate way to go?
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old February 21, 2004, 18:05   #33
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:15
Re: In which all but the most conservative polypeople have a stroke...
Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
Paddling as a form of punishment in school is still allowed in 22 of the United States.
Good grief. I remember that from the Babtist summercamp. We were ordered into canoes which were defineatly not seaworthy. Me and my friend paddled like hell, bet we sunk midways across the lake.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:06   #34
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 21:15
Quote:
You've not answered the real question. We live in a society that defines physical pain as the worse bad. Why?

Young kids are unable of moral reflexion- they only understand punishment and reward. You must punish them in a way. So, why is physical pain an inappropriate way to go?
I don't know, I did have moral reflexion. I hated to hurt my parents, and they looked like they took offence at my bad behavior, so I stopped.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:20   #35
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I don't know, I did have moral reflexion. I hated to hurt my parents, and they looked like they took offence at my bad behavior, so I stopped.
Well, I know Kohlberg is contested, but here are the six 'stages':

-reward and punishment
-instrumentalization
-good boy
-social order
-social contract
-universal principles

It seems like what you describe is stage 3- morality is about getting your peers' approval. Depending on education and innate intelligence, this is usually the level of kids aged 7-12.
The only moral level that doesn't need a punishment to function is level 6. All others require some form of enforcement. The decision that pain would not be an enforcement tool is purely arbitrary.

From my personal memory, I remember that I rarely truly regretted what I did for the sake of it, but rather for seeing my parents (who held the monopoly of the 'good boy' statement) disappointed.
True, at this point, physical pain is rarely required, but that's because the individual has mastered more complex forms of moral behavior, which is just another form of inflicting 'pain'.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old February 21, 2004, 18:23   #36
Odd
Settler

Local Time: 15:15
I support beating children as long as a doctor is present to make sure that the kid will survive and to also guarantee that the injuries will be easily concealed. A good method is using a baseball bat to hit him in his feet's sole.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:24   #37
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Deity Dude
I went to private schools in Michigan and was paddled quite often. Actually, the teacher usually used a yardstick or pointer. I'm not sure whether or not I support it, but I will say one thing, there were alot less problems and the faculty had alot more control of the schools then they do now.
You can't suggest that using the paddle helped keep control when you say you had to be subjected to it quite often... if it was successful you wouldn't have received it more than once, surely...
Old February 21, 2004, 18:30   #38
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Odd
I support beating children as long as a doctor is present to make sure that the kid will survive and to also guarantee that the injuries will be easily concealed. A good method is using a baseball bat to hit him in his feet's sole.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:35   #39
The Mad Monk
Emperor

One-off success or nothing? Nah.

Some skulls are thicker than others, and take longer to crack.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:36   #40
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Works better than "time outs"
Old February 21, 2004, 18:43   #41
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I support paddling
Old February 21, 2004, 18:55   #42
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

So I'm correct in assuming all the non-corporal punishment people don't have their own kids?

Azazel? Whaleboy?
Old February 21, 2004, 18:56   #43
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:15
I think coporeal punishment is sometimes a necessity as a parent. Because kids (especially young kids) are sometimes completely unwilling to have a moral reflection.

But I don't think it is the teacher's role to beat a kid. A teacher is here to transfer knowledge. He's not here to replace the parents at teaching discipline.

On these grounds, I am actually not in complete disagreement with recess' watchers physically punishing bullies for having hurt their classmates. Of course, such a thing would need clearance from the parents and an accountable process.
Old February 21, 2004, 18:57   #44
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

In regards to this sort of punishment in school, I would demand that the school call me before they did it.
Old February 21, 2004, 19:01   #45
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibsie

You can't suggest that using the paddle helped keep control when you say you had to be subjected to it quite often... if it was successful you wouldn't have received it more than once, surely...
Every kid is different. Some kids are better behaved, some are hell-raisers. They start out that way, and they're like that for the rest of their lives.
Old February 21, 2004, 19:12   #46
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I wish to express moral outrage at corporal punishment, though I apparently don't see the need to justify my opinion in any way shape or form.
Old February 21, 2004, 19:16   #47
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I am suitably outraged at your outrage.
Old February 21, 2004, 19:30   #48
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris
No, but he did hit her recently (he's now 18). She threw him out, and now he lives at my dad's house. Since my dad is huge and strong, he's not been annoying him (bastard).
I realize I'm venturing into very sensitive territory here, but in most families, children don't physically attack their parents once they've reached a certain point of maturity, regardless of whether or not the parent is strong enough to hit back and hurt.

I'd like to reiterate that we are talking about paddling as a routine punishment performed by public schools here, not some sort of desperate-measures Scared Straight thing for kids with APD, or a private decision by parents.

Schools, like any institution, do in fact require discipline (ahem, Spiffor). But I'm inclined to believe that there's enough brute physical antagonism in our schoolyards without the teachers chiming in as a disciplinary measure.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 21, 2004, 20:53   #49
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Elok, I agree with you. My example was quite extreme.

I tend to favor Spiffor's position: yes to corporal punishment, but not in school.
Old February 21, 2004, 22:48   #50
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
Well, if some here feel that corporal punishment woks, lets take it to the logical conclusion- all teachers must be allowed to, at least once a year, execute one unrully student in front of the class as an example. Imagine your teahcer took that bastard tommy and shot him down, and then had the other kids clean up the corpse? No one would EVER question teacher ever again..

Remember folks, Rule of Terror work!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 21, 2004, 22:58   #51
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I would be in support of that. Not only would the sacrafice make the students shut up, it would create some sense of order in this chaotic nation.
It would also make the students smarter

Edit: AND it would remove such a stupid, unruly student from the gene pool!
Old February 21, 2004, 23:00   #52
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
Schools, like any institution, do in fact require discipline (ahem, Spiffor).
Yup, but it is not their role to teach discipline IMHO. And enforcement of discipline at school definitely doesn't requires corporeal punishment: put the unruly kid one hour in an empty room (except for the warden), where he'll get bored like hell, have him lectured by the director, or simply give him bad marks and warn the parents for them to teach their kid accordingly.
Old February 22, 2004, 00:48   #53
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
*When you give your opinion, can you please say whether you're a parent? Thanks!
You're presuming the superiority of your position, based on your own personal opinion of qualification to boot.
/me slaps JohnT's egotic head around with a large trout

I wasn't a parent at any time, but was a child for a while.
Sweeping punishment doesn't cut it for me.
If a child is smart enough to understand the error in their actions, explain it to them.*
*please note that rules can be ineffective and stupid. More than once I've had a kid know what they were on about.
If a child -isn't- smart enough, out come the canes!

The next issue is Malice, but I don't exactly see how pain solves malice - in that instance I'd recomment separating the malicious from the non-malicious students (as in prision) and letting them sort each-other out, if they're smart enough to understand such a thing.
If they're malicious and stupid, shoot them and save everybody the hassle.

Quote:
That's the point: what's so wrong with physical pain? Why must it be terribly worse than psychological torture (when you're a baby, spending a few hours in a dark closet is TERRIBLE).
Psych torture... I share the same opinion above, save exception that if a child wants to go through boot camp I'm OK with them going through boot camp!
Old February 22, 2004, 01:01   #54
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Because you can see the results of physical pain but not see the results of psychological trauma (so easily), and in this society, ignorance is bliss.
Awareness of the human condition isn't so common these days :/

Quote:
Young kids are unable of moral reflexion-
MOST young kids, Boris.
Some people understand stuff.
Point taken same said people can often understand stuff better than those enforcing the rules - and the fools that presume they are correct are locked in a struggle with the brains that see their error.
I'm an example.

Quote:
Well, I know Kohlberg is contested, but here are the six 'stages':
/me googles for Kohlberg and reads some stuff - will reply after reading

Spiffor:
In an ideal world where parents knew what they were on about, the idea of having them teach their children would work.

Elok:
Yeah, I attacked my parents. Thought nothing of it, too. The fools deserved it.
Old February 22, 2004, 01:13   #55
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm not in favor of corporal punishment at school, but the idea that those kids whose parents favor it get whacked while those whose parents don't especially bothers me. It means that those kids whose parents favor spanking get treated differently than the others. Surely this must instill at least some resentment in the punished kids.

Imagine if you were the only kid in class whose parents approved of spanking, so when the whole class acted up you were the one who got whupped.

Imagine if you were the only one in class whose parents didn't allow spanking so that when the whole class acted up you were the only one who didn't get whupped.
Old February 22, 2004, 01:15   #56
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Kohlberg sure can't explain my ideology for crap, the only major difference being I support my own decisions!
Consider him contested.
Old February 22, 2004, 01:19   #57
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
You're presuming the superiority of your position, based on your own personal opinion of qualification to boot.
Why, yes. Yes I am. And it is a reasonable presumption as there is nothing, nothing in life that highlights the difference between "knowledge" and "experience" than parenting. It is something that cannot be taught from a book, it is something that cannot be reasoned, it MUST be experienced, or else you truly have no clue.
Old February 22, 2004, 01:21   #58
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
If a child is smart enough to understand the error in their actions, explain it to them.*
You haven't the slightest idea what a child is, or else you wouldn't make such inexperienced statements.
Old February 22, 2004, 02:11   #59
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
As a parent*, all I can say is:

I see nothing wrong with this. Deal with it, AZ. (and weren't you leaving, anyway? )

*When you give your opinion, can you please say whether you're a parent? Thanks!
JohnT...tell Sophie she has nothing to worry about...Knox county doesn't paddle.

I am a parent and I wish they did use corporal punishment. The system they use now includes in and out of school suspensions. The kids look at this as time off, not as punishment. My step son could care less about missing a day of school, but he definately doesn't want his ass busted. 15 minutes in the principals office to see the error of your ways or a day spent staring at a wall while doodling in your notebook? Keep my kid in class and bust his ass if he gets out of line. Schools would work so much better.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 22, 2004, 02:12   #60
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Why, yes. Yes I am. And it is a reasonable presumption as there is nothing, nothing in life that highlights the difference between "knowledge" and "experience" than parenting. It is something that cannot be taught from a book, it is something that cannot be reasoned, it MUST be experienced, or else you truly have no clue.
Indeed this is one of the most knowledgeable and experienced posts I have ever seen on 'Poly.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll