Old February 21, 2004, 21:35   #1
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 12:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Board Games
reccomend me some board games

I am looking for multipalyer, preferibly between 3-5 (but more is ok)

having it somewhat warbased is also good

making the pieces simple,a nd the rules simple, are also good

having pieces like A&A is good (my freinds don't like having to read the carboard pieecs to know how to use it

to let you know what they have liked (I like mroe complicated games in general)

A&A
Diplomacy
Rome (the like this a little less)
Settlers
Third Reich (5th edition or whatever, they found this hard going but were getting into it by the end)

games I have or have played which I think they would like:
History of the World
Kingmaker
Civilization (the Avalon Hill one)
some game that was called shogun or something

game that I expected them to like, but they didn't as much
A&A:Europe

please give me suggestions

Jon Miller
Old February 21, 2004, 21:46   #2
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 19:16
1829 and its variants - not war based but trains. Good multiplayer fun but you don't get to kill anything.

Warrior Knights - fairly simple wargame from Games Workshop. Tends to be what we end up playing. Although we all prefer 3rd Reich it can be played in a weekend.

Dune - based on the books. Lots of diplomacy and backstabbing. Actual strategic skill seems less important than the ability to manipulate your friends.

Down With the King. Intrigue at court. Not sure about this game - some were very good but depends on players and you might have to work hard to make it fun.

Blood Royale -another from Games Workshop.
Old February 21, 2004, 21:51   #3
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

can you provide any links?

JOnM iller
Old February 21, 2004, 22:35   #4
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

samuria swords is the other game I am thinking about that I would like to get to play

went by shogun for a while also

JOn Miller
Old February 21, 2004, 22:42   #5
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

here is the list of A&A like games

Broadsides and Boarding Parties, Conquest of the Empire, Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Shogun

anyone know how to get any of the others?

Jon Miller
Old February 21, 2004, 23:04   #6
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

A Game of Thrones
seems interesting and diplomacy like

Jon Miller
Old February 22, 2004, 01:34   #7
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 13:16
Amoeba Wars

A cult CLASSIC

User Review Submit Your Own Review

xeno-cat (11/30/03)
Rating:8

Pros: Very social, fast moving, devious with some good old war gamer stratagy thrown in
Cons: It's out of print :-(, the games concept of a final move is a little weird

Amoeba Wars is a cult classic that is still fun to play
This is a great game for the more advanced families (Axis & Alies type folks rather than Risk) as well as a fun diversion for more advanced gamers. It's very social and alliences can come and go with even the weakest player remaining a factor through the games rather ingenious use of "Power Play" cards.

The map is itself a giant hex that is that is seven hexes wide, each hex representing a "system" within the galaxy. The 6 hexes that form the points of the map are "Home Worlds" and represent the starting positions for each "Space Lord". Some hexes on the map have numbers represnting resource points that may be used each turn by a player controling the sector. The central hex is Saestor and the surrounding hexes make up the "Central Systems". In order to attempt to capture Saestor a player must have control of at least 3 of the central systems ( in a 6 player game ).

The peices are very simple in that they have two defining factors: resource cost to build, and combat bonus. The ship resource costs and combat values are:

Scout : Cost: 1, Combat Bonus: 0
Cruiser : Cost: 2, Combat Bonus: 1
Dreadnot : Cost: 3, Combat Bonus: 2
Base Star : Cost: 4, Combat Bonus: 3
Monitor : Cost: 5, Combat Bonus: 4

Combat between ships is simply a die roll plus it's combat bonus, ties destroy both ships.

The turn sequence is broken up into a series of stages: the "Power Play", resource allocation, attacks, final movement.

Power Play

This phase consists of each player placing a card from their hand ( 3 to start, four if you control an inner system ). Cards allow players to do certain things like "Aquire a Cruiser" or "Hyper Jump" a certain amount of resource points worth of ships to any sector. Some cards are labeled "Must Use" which means that if they are played the effects must be applied, these are usually bad cards ( Amoeba Attack Campaigns, Production Strikes, etc. ). Each card has a number with the lower numbers comprising the most beneficial cards and the highest numbers generally comprising the worst cards. The player that places the highest card gets to go first, using all the cards played. After their turn, the player who played the next highest gets to play their card plus all the lower cards. The process proceeds until the person who played the lowest card has gone ( using only the card they played ). The person who placed the highest card must play their card first on the next turn and then each player plays are card proceeding clockwise from the first card player.

Resource Allocation

Basicaly, count up the number of systems you control with resource points and purchase your ships.

Movement

You may now attack systems or other players.

Final Move

Move any number of ships from one system to a connected system.

The Amoebas

The Amoebas come into play with the Amoeba Attack campaigns and when you attempt to take control of systems with Amoebas in them. During Amoeba Attack Campaigns Amoebas may attack adjoining systems destroying ships or even claiming the system if it contains fewer than 3 defending ships. The proces for managing the Amoebas is simple but can have a drastic effect on the game.

Greatest Gaming Moment:
I have a pretty decent winning average but my greatest moment was actually being torn down by an allience of other players that demonstrated a tremendus amount of stratagy and planning. The key player in the coup was somone who was barely in control of his own home system ( because I had pounded him into a box ) but had the key power play card that crippled my empire ( double amoeba attack campaign, followed by someone elses single amoeba attack campaign for a total of 4, and then a successfull ambush by an amoeba card that each of the 3 got to use, ouch).

Time Played:
100+ hours
Old February 22, 2004, 01:35   #8
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 13:16
That's an accurate description.
We have played it for years. A great game. Lots of twists, but the rules are tight, and reasonably easy.
Old February 22, 2004, 08:08   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Amoeba Wars

Also British Rails or Empire Builder if you are into railway building games.

There's an old Avalon Hill game called Titan which is pretty good, but it can be very frustrating because it's very luck dependent.

Talisman is good.

Cosmic Encounter is not really a board game. It's a very light, chaotic, and social game.
Old February 22, 2004, 09:09   #10
Standup
Prince

1829 fan page

A little bit on Blood Royale but not more than an outline. Also some notes on Talisman.

Same players page for Dune

Couldn't find much useful for Warrior Knights a few notes here
Old February 22, 2004, 09:15   #11
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:16
Talisman all the way... as long as you have enough people to make it interesting and enough expansions.

I have the first version from whenever that didn't even have colour printed "adventure" cards.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 22, 2004, 11:06   #12
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Risk is the best of the simple war games. If you can get Castle Risk, even more fun.

Axis & Allies is still my standard as far as the more complex ones. Quite fun.

I recently bought Sid Meier's Civilization board game, and it looks like it would be fun, but I can't find anyone to play with.
Old February 22, 2004, 11:12   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
I have the first version from whenever that didn't even have colour printed "adventure" cards.
I had that. I gave it to the uni's gamers' club when I graduated, though.

Those master level characters are quite nasty, particularly that High Mage.
Old February 22, 2004, 14:21   #14
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

My game-goal was always to become the High Mage before my brother. You only had to give them one measly magic item...

-Jam
Old February 22, 2004, 19:22   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

I overdosed on Talisman before it had expansions. They might have made it more interesting but I was already sick of it by then

The new Civilisation is good fun and very different from the original.

1-2 hour games:

Euphrates & Tigris
Big City
El Grande
Mississippi

Card games:
The Great Dalmuti (best with 6+ players)
Money!
Bohnanza
Old February 23, 2004, 01:15   #16
Urban Ranger
Deity

Card games:
Nuclear War
Naval War

Oh, there's also one very old board game called Dungeon. It's based on D&D. Nice light game. A similar one was published by Games Workshop a few years back, and it's based on Warhammer IIRC.
Old February 23, 2004, 01:29   #17
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Risk is the best of the simple war games. If you can get Castle Risk, even more fun.

Axis & Allies is still my standard as far as the more complex ones. Quite fun.

I recently bought Sid Meier's Civilization board game, and it looks like it would be fun, but I can't find anyone to play with.
I haven't played Risk in forever

but I perfer more complicated games

I don't consider A&A complicated, but it is a step in the right irection

Jon Miller
Old February 23, 2004, 05:30   #18
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 14:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Card games:
Nuclear War
Naval War

Oh, there's also one very old board game called Dungeon. It's based on D&D. Nice light game. A similar one was published by Games Workshop a few years back, and it's based on Warhammer IIRC.
warhammer quest is something like second edition talisman. GW recently re-released talisman in VERY limited quantities so that they'd not lose their copyrights because the game had been out of print for so long.

my reccomendation: robo rally. for anyone that's played it, it's something like the crack-cocaine of board games. you play robots controlled by a junkyard supercomputer with multiple personalities. many many nights of fun playing this game. unfortunately, the game and its expansions have long since been out of print.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:17   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Typical GW to do that kind of stunt. If the licence is commercially useful they should have the game on sale.

I'd definitely agree roborally is lots of fun. I didn't mention Dungeon because I thought it probably unobtainable by now. I'm certainly not selling my copy

Other golden oldies on my shelves:
Wizards Quest (simple and fast)
Lords and Wizards
Middle Sea
Barbarian, Kingdom, Empire
White Bear, Red Moon (army combat set in Runequest world, many scenarios of different size)
Swords and Sorcery (ditto but made up world, humorous names but many well balanced scenarios)
Old February 23, 2004, 15:40   #20
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

i think i sold my copy at a garage sale years ago. that was the one with the different cards for each "room" and you got treasure based off of what you killed, right?
Old February 23, 2004, 16:07   #21
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

lots of cool games

but people seem to have went off what I am looking for into other types of games

so is there no more ontopic advice?

JonMiller
Old February 23, 2004, 16:38   #22
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:16
Risk is the ultimate board gome buddy, als scrabble is good fro imroving the mind and vocab
Old February 23, 2004, 16:43   #23
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

no

risk sucks

Jon Miller
Old February 23, 2004, 18:16   #24
Jamski
Deity

No, Risk is one of THE great board games. Its about the only "war game" you can get your wife and her mother to play at Xmas.

-Jam
Old February 23, 2004, 18:28   #25
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

no

diplomacy is great

chess is great

I will give you that Risk is a classic

it isn't great though

Jon Miller
Old February 24, 2004, 06:53   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

Just goes to prove, everyone has their own opinion of what makes a good game.
Old February 24, 2004, 10:12   #27
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I would even say that Risk is a good game

not great though

Jon Miller
Old February 24, 2004, 10:52   #28
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Standup

Dune - based on the books. Lots of diplomacy and backstabbing. Actual strategic skill seems less important than the ability to manipulate your friends.
I will second this suggestion of Dune. Great game. In fact, Jon, you can try the game out online. There are PBEM games of the board game going on at all times. You can download a graphic representation of the gameboard and a pdf of the rulebook. Just do a google search for 'Dune PBEM'. Have fun!
Old February 24, 2004, 12:34   #29
Urban Ranger
Deity

Jamski,

Eek. I think High Mage should be outlawed. It's too broken.

sb,

Ah, that's what that's called? Thanks.

Grumbold,

What about Dragonpass? I used to have that too, but couldn't find anybody to play with.
Old February 24, 2004, 12:35   #30
Urban Ranger
Deity

I found this site in my bookmarks. It's got a nice list of board games.