Old February 22, 2004, 19:30   #1
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Zoom!
God (or Sid) knows how civ4 may turn out to look; with hexes, octos, multidimensional SMAC terrain, etc. But whatever it form it takes I hope the zooming will be back in.

Because lets face it, the terrain gets borring after a while no matter how many patterns of irrigation you make. But looking REAL REAL close can make the game seem totally different, and make you more invovled in the battles (if you have a big enough imaginatioon that is). And satellite views are much easier to use when you have a M.A.D. war on your hands. And anywere in between tailored to you military needs! I mean, how hard is it to program?

I hope this feature comes back like it was in civ2 and SMAC. civ3's 2 zooms are just not enough! Who's with me?!

aahz_capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2004, 19:55   #2
patcon
Warlord

Local Time: 13:18
I like zooms! Granted, much of the zoom range in Civ2 was useless, especially the mega-zoom-ins, but 2 zoom levels isn't enough. I rarely use the zoom-out in Civ3 because I can't really tell what's there - I only use it for navigating ships across large expanses of water.

Please, oh please, pretty please. Maybe we could have 3 levels of zoom? A normal view, a medium zoom-out for land unit movement and scouting your territory for resources, and a large zoom-out for ship movement.
Old February 22, 2004, 20:16   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:18
Well, depending on how they code it, patcon, it would be pretty easy to create unlimited levels of zoom Just like Microsoft Word possesses... the only worry would be if the units get pixellated at too high a resolution!
Old February 22, 2004, 20:59   #4
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 12:18
SMAC had great zoom levels... I especially liked zooming way out to see the whole map. It really gave you a feel for the game.

I would be a fan of a fluid zoom, but would say we need at least 3 as a bare minimum. Standard, zoomed in, and zoomed out. At least.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2004, 21:29   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
more zooms

one of the reasons I couldn't stand gal-civ was lack of any zoom! bah
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2004, 07:24   #6
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Yes, more zooms would be a great gesture from those who are they!
Old February 24, 2004, 11:09   #7
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 19:18
A fluid zoom would immediately start a pol on apolyton "what's your fav zoom?" and you'd need a hundred different responses!
aahz_capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2004, 12:23   #8
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 12:18
Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
A fluid zoom would immediately start a pol on apolyton "what's your fav zoom?" and you'd need a hundred different responses!
At least that would give us an extra month of discussion topic before we started talking about Civ V.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2004, 13:01   #9
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
I miss the customized zoom feature a la Civ2. Whatever the tradeoff in system resources, or whatever, I'm pretty sure I would take the tradeoff to get the ZOOM function back.
Old February 24, 2004, 22:10   #10
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:18
Quote:
At least that would give us an extra month of discussion topic before we started talking about Civ V
Don't worry, within a month, I'd start a civ V thread That's about how long before I waited to start a civ IV thread
Old February 24, 2004, 22:48   #11
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010