Old March 5, 2004, 15:26   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Arrain it is a close call about PTW and C3C. I am not sure but what I would say PTW was more fun.

As to balanced, I can't say. I will say I find C3C much harder than PTW and if that is more balanced, then axelman is correct.

I have not seen many speak up about if they find C3C harder or not. I am not even sure what the cause is, if that is even true.
Old March 5, 2004, 15:42   #32
dworkin
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:20
Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000

What dont you like about hotseat?
'Subverting' the opponent is too much fun
Old March 5, 2004, 15:47   #33
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
girlfriend... hotseat... hmmm....
Old March 5, 2004, 17:53   #34
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hotseat:

First off, it's just irritating. It takes too damn long, even if it is much faster than PBEM. And of course there is the problem of disparity in skill. I'm, um, a lot better than she is. She doesn't really want to play AGAINST me. Teaming up against the AI didn't interest her either. Whenever we tried hotseat, we would try to make sure were weren't on the same continent (that way we don't end up in early warfare).

We did play one hotseat game into the early middle ages (well, I was in the early middle ages). I was Carthage, she was Egypt. She started with river & multiple cows, and generally beautiful starting terrain. I started on a river with some bonus grass. I could squeeze in a few cities around my capital before I ran into a large jungle (south) and small desert (north) or the ocean. I had not a single bonus food resource in my empire, during my peaceful REX.

How did we end up? I beat the everlivingshit out of my southern AI neighbors, got a GL, and rushed a more-or-less perfectly placed FP. I also beat her to one of her favorite wonders (and mine too - the Colossus). I had contact with 4 AIs, whereas she only knew 2.

I was willing to play on, but she lost interest I think, and honestly I would've crushed her.

-Arrian

p.s. It would be interesting if you could play hotseat and specify different difficulty settings for different players. She could play on Regent, and I could play on Emperor.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Last edited by Arrian; March 8, 2004 at 17:52.
Old March 5, 2004, 18:43   #35
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You could do what we use to do with Ascendancy. Pick a set number of turns and take no action till then. How ever many you felt would get her the same head start as if you were playing on different levels.
Old March 5, 2004, 18:55   #36
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
-OR- you could create a mod, giving her more settlers/workers/warriors.
Old March 8, 2004, 02:51   #37
binyo66
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monkey
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

p.s. It would be interesting if you could play hotseat and specify different difficulty settings for different players. She could play on Regent, and I could play on Emperor.
I am not sure if this can help, but in multitools, I could set the difficulty level for each civs.

For the best game, I think it depends on what machine it would be run:

IMO, If you have a very good machine (P4 3G with 512M Memory) then go to conquest. Otherwise pick up civ III 1.07f (faster, and has a lot of good bugs)
Moreover, if you are not satisfied, u can upgrade or buy conquest or ptw later on.
Old March 8, 2004, 03:11   #38
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
This is how it starts. Flash forward 20 turns, and I'm ordering all worker jobs and picking most city builds.

-Arrian
......and, presumably, sleeping in the spare bedroom?
Old March 8, 2004, 12:53   #39
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Civ3: Conquests is the best version, by far.