View Poll Results: Pick your preference
Trance plasma garrison 4 40.00%
Probe team 4 40.00%
Write-in 1 10.00%
Xenobanana! 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 24, 2004, 19:56   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Triplex MY 2157 production
Trance plasma garrison, probe team or something else? Your choice, to be made in the next two days!
Not much need for explanation I guess: plasma garrison to get extra defense units, probe team to get extra units to probe our enemies.

Spoiler:
Personally I voted for probe team, as IMHO we need at the very least a probe skimship and two probe teams if we want to try and infiltrate the Hive.
Old February 25, 2004, 06:00   #2
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Probe foil is already on the high seas, three probes are in Triplex, and we have to wait anyway till a transport arrives in Triplex.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 25, 2004, 08:29   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
three probes are in Triplex
Two of those only have one movement point. As a consequence they can't be used to probe attack a land base. We need probes that can use their first movement point to land next to a base, and have a second movement point left to do the actual probing.

So right now we only have one probe team and one probe skimship that are capable of probe attacking land bases. That's insufficient to attack a base that has a probe defence in it, because we need one unit to attack the probe defence, a second unit to attack the probe defence in case the first unit wasn't succesful, and a third unit to do the actual probing. And if we're unlucky and the Hive or Drones have secured their coastal bases near us with more than one probe defence, say two per base, then attacking with five probe teams would be necessary to be relatively sure of succes. And we'll only have one chance to catch the Hive or Drones by surprise. So the first time we definitely need to be succesful.

Btw, what will the plasma garrison in Triplex be used for? There are no transports available to ship it to anywhere useful.
Old February 25, 2004, 10:45   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 18:22
Does it have a defender? If it does, probe. If not, then defender. Use the 1 MP probes for probe defence.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 25, 2004, 11:07   #5
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 11:22
WTF I see Trance Garrison is winning!

What is wrong with you people we are going freeMarket and that base already has a defender.

Make an Impaler Class Transport, you can always use another transport in war (see post on Angels) or in Peace to move Crawlers around.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old February 25, 2004, 11:12   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 18:22
Impaler: I vote for probe, since it already has a defender. As did Maniac I presume. Seems everyone else is against it

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 25, 2004, 14:59   #7
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Voted for probe team since we need every probe we can get.
Old February 25, 2004, 15:19   #8
Maniac

Is no one willing to change their previous vote to probe team?
Old February 25, 2004, 15:54   #9
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

As it seems their no chance of a Transport being built I will change my Write-In to a Probe Team which ties up the pole at 4 and 4.

Who are all these people voting for the Garrison? Why do none of them post their reasoning as is the traditional response to any pole?
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old February 25, 2004, 16:15   #10
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Btw, what will the plasma garrison in Triplex be used for? There are no transports available to ship it to anywhere useful.
When a transport comes to collect the necessary probes, it can also take the excess defenders with it and drop those in bases closer to the new borderlines. That way those have better chance against a surprise attack. There will be plenty of transport room anyway, so why not doing 2 things the same time?

It will take several turns anyway before a transport can be in Triplex. If it comes from the Athena production or from Mega Reboot doesnn't matter. I haven't seen anyone proposing hurrying the production of the transport there thus I presume that will take his time as well to finish.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 25, 2004, 16:22   #11
Impaler[WrG]
King

We got credits comeing out of our ears we should be hurrying all our production when it get more then 10 minerals. Your the acting Internal Affairs Function Geo its your job to alocate funding for thouse kinds of things.
Old February 25, 2004, 16:50   #12
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
We got credits comeing out of our ears we should be hurrying all our production when it get more then 10 minerals. Your the acting Internal Affairs Function Geo its your job to alocate funding for thouse kinds of things.
Yes, it is my job. Don't forget that those credits are to be used for 2 factions. PUT has as well production that needs to be hurried.
a little less then 190 energy for force producing that transport in Athena.
330 energy for upgrading those crawlers for the NP project.
Energy needed (272 energy ATM) for quick producing the interceptor in Logic Loop.
And you propose as well to build Tree Farms in key CC bases. That energy will have to be saved sometimes.

But since the vote on Triplex production is tied, I will send the PF a PM for my change of vote. Those Plasma Garrisons can be produced AFTER the leave of the probe task force anyway.

Btw, this problem of having not enough CC's for producing trained land units wouldn't have been a problem if earlier on one was build.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 25, 2004, 17:04   #13
Impaler[WrG]
King

Wait 190 Credits for a Transport?? Thats rediculous

Has it not yet acumulated 10 minerals? IF not wait untill it has then it will be MUCH less (like half). When we had to hurry the Mammoth Transport way back before the PEACE war it only cost what 50 credits.

Also we can get the TreeFarm in Logic Loop Built faster by scraping the Battle Ogree their that will give us 5 rows of minerals and the remaining credit cost will probly be ~100 Credits.

Credits will go far if their used wisely, remember to not simply pay what the computer asks, subtract about 2 energy for every mineral the base produces (it needs to be test before the turn player uses it).
Old February 25, 2004, 17:48   #14
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Has it not yet acumulated 10 minerals?
Nope, only 8. And be assured, I wait. It takes two more turns for that probe in Triplex to be finished, thus we can wait a turn.

Quote:
Also we can get the TreeFarm in Logic Loop Built faster by scraping the Battle Ogree their that will give us 5 rows of minerals and the remaining credit cost will probly be ~100 Credits.
Mmm, I would wait with scrapping that unit 'till we have sufficient equal or better units and a new defender in that base. And as said in the IAF thread, LL is busy with that interceptor since a PEACE unit MUST be located ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Credits will go far if their used wisely, remember to not simply pay what the computer asks,
I know that trick, don't worry. When I post a energy cost I always mention when I'm sure whether or not the exact price is known. And Maniac is smart enough to correct my overlooks.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 26, 2004, 06:41   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:22
Local Date: November 3, 2010
/me comes to the rescue and casts what may be the deciding vote.... for a Probe.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 26, 2004, 09:21   #16
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
* MrWhereItsAt comes to the rescue and casts what may be the deciding vote.... for a Probe.
To late
I already changed my vote to a probe production... under conditions.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario