Old March 3, 2004, 23:39   #31
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I beliee that the uranium flats lose their special +1 if the land is raised.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 4, 2004, 00:15   #32
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 08:22
hmmm, never tried that.

Although I've raised the Garland Crater to 3500m and it still give the original bonus.....although it should probably be renamed Garland Hill or something.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 4, 2004, 14:14   #33
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
Some incomplete obervations:
- Most landmarks lose their optical appearance when raised/lowered.
- I'm quite confident that the jungle, uranium flats, and pholus ridge lose their benefits also.
- The Borehole Cluster canges optically to conventional boreholes but they still work.

Anybody tried to lower the mound of Mount Planet?
Old March 4, 2004, 15:25   #34
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 13:22
A borehole in the crater doesn't get +1 minerals.
Old March 5, 2004, 14:36   #35
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 13:22
I believe that I've seen Mt. Planet tiles lose the 'Volcano' designation for as little as being 'lowered' by sea level changes (probably across a 1k threshhold though).
Old March 8, 2004, 08:32   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:22
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well, my first experiment was a success. My capital city was the only city that had crawlers running out of it. By the end of the game that city alone was producing over 2000 energy each turn. I had enough stockpiled energy to buy the win. In no less than 9 cities.
Old March 11, 2004, 06:04   #37
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:22
Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
Thanks everybody for the invaluable advices! This is quite enough to get me going I believe.
I never had a use for energy parks... though I had never played on the Transcendi (?) level, either.
Old March 11, 2004, 06:06   #38
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
- I'm quite confident that the jungle, uranium flats, and pholus ridge lose their benefits also.
AFAIK, just the Monsoon Jungle loses its bonuses.

Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
Anybody tried to lower the mound of Mount Planet?
You aren't allowed to do that IIRC.
Old March 11, 2004, 09:03   #39
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

You can lower mount planet, i normally have to in order to get my boreholes around the base.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old March 11, 2004, 12:29   #40
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 14:22
Only the Hive would try to lower Mount Planet.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 12, 2004, 17:08   #41
Adalbertus
Prince

I haven't tried that, but maybe it's possible to lower mound planet only by lowering a tile next to it.

Lazerus, if you did so, did the graphics change?
Old March 13, 2004, 01:47   #42
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

It is possible to lower mount planet by lowering the tile next to the crater. I just tried it. The crater disappears as soon as you lower it though.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; March 13, 2004 at 02:46.
Old March 16, 2004, 21:31   #43
Santiago_Claus
Warlord

A few years back I developed what I called the "Parallel Ridge Energy Park".

It was an attempt to optimize two competing efficiencies: raising terrain in a straight line and deploying E Mirrors in a circle.

The biggest problem with it is a bug which has been in every version of AC and AC-X since 1998 which corrupts the map data whenever terraforming increases the energy output of a square while it is being remote-mined for energy. When the corrupted map data is referenced it causes an unhandled exception in TerranX.Exe (or Terran.Exe for classic AC).

The second-biggest problem is the E Mirrors shut down once they leave your territorial influence, so you must build "outposts" every so often.

The bugs and SMAC-X's ocean energy build conspire to make E Parks impractical, but here's how to build what I consider the greatest land-based Energy Park ever designed:

A Parallel-Ridge Energy Park is best constructed East-West 2.5 squares from a pole, but North-South construction is also possible. The pole squares are all rocky, so you get the added bonus of a convenient location to build mines, and a ridge along a pole has only one side to defend, as the poles don't "wrap".

Because SMAC East-West is diagonal, if you raise terrain in that line, you get a 3000m ridge with 2000m "teeth" adjacent. Our goal is to build 2 parallel ridges at 2.5 squares' distance so that the "teeth" interlock, creating a huge 2000m plateau between them.

Since the best way to raise to 3000m is to start at 2000m, let's assume the best way to get parallel ridges is to raise a 3000m "curve" from one ridge to the next. If you're raising a ridge Easterly and you want to curve South to build its parallel counterpart, raise Southeast, then South, then South. You are now on the line of the Southern parallel ridge, so raise to the West. The North edge of the South ridge should interlock with the South edge of the North ridge like a zipper.

What's most important is getting the distance just right so the "teeth" interlock without any wasted overlap. That distance is 2.5 units, measuring diagonals as 1 unit and horizontal / vertical as half a unit.

Also note that the ridges can be extended in parallel in either direction indefinitely (or until you circle the globe I guess). In fact, if you're using formers that have a move rate of 1, it is slightly more efficient to put 1 former on each of the 4 ends than put 4 formers on 1 end, because of the turns used up moving.

The placement strategy for E. Mirrors is a subject of another thread, because there are 3 different optimizations: build time, land utilization, and crawler utilization.
Old March 17, 2004, 08:36   #44
Sikander
King

Local Time: 11:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago_Clause
A few years back I developed what I called the "Parallel Ridge Energy Park".

It was an attempt to optimize two competing efficiencies: raising terrain in a straight line and deploying E Mirrors in a circle.

The biggest problem with it is a bug which has been in every version of AC and AC-X since 1998 which corrupts the map data whenever terraforming increases the energy output of a square while it is being remote-mined for energy. When the corrupted map data is referenced it causes an unhandled exception in TerranX.Exe (or Terran.Exe for classic AC).

The second-biggest problem is the E Mirrors shut down once they leave your territorial influence, so you must build "outposts" every so often.

The bugs and SMAC-X's ocean energy build conspire to make E Parks impractical, but here's how to build what I consider the greatest land-based Energy Park ever designed:

A Parallel-Ridge Energy Park is best constructed East-West 2.5 squares from a pole, but North-South construction is also possible. The pole squares are all rocky, so you get the added bonus of a convenient location to build mines, and a ridge along a pole has only one side to defend, as the poles don't "wrap".

Because SMAC East-West is diagonal, if you raise terrain in that line, you get a 3000m ridge with 2000m "teeth" adjacent. Our goal is to build 2 parallel ridges at 2.5 squares' distance so that the "teeth" interlock, creating a huge 2000m plateau between them.

Since the best way to raise to 3000m is to start at 2000m, let's assume the best way to get parallel ridges is to raise a 3000m "curve" from one ridge to the next. If you're raising a ridge Easterly and you want to curve South to build its parallel counterpart, raise Southeast, then South, then South. You are now on the line of the Southern parallel ridge, so raise to the West. The North edge of the South ridge should interlock with the South edge of the North ridge like a zipper.

What's most important is getting the distance just right so the "teeth" interlock without any wasted overlap. That distance is 2.5 units, measuring diagonals as 1 unit and horizontal / vertical as half a unit.

Also note that the ridges can be extended in parallel in either direction indefinitely (or until you circle the globe I guess). In fact, if you're using formers that have a move rate of 1, it is slightly more efficient to put 1 former on each of the 4 ends than put 4 formers on 1 end, because of the turns used up moving.

The placement strategy for E. Mirrors is a subject of another thread, because there are 3 different optimizations: build time, land utilization, and crawler utilization.
Vi Vicdi?
Old March 17, 2004, 15:31   #45
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago_Clause
Ah finally someone who also adresses the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread. Do you know any way to circumvent this bug and still be able to build energy parks? Due to this bug I have avoided building energy parks in all my games since I first encountered that bug.
Old March 17, 2004, 23:39   #46
Skanky Burns

I made a large energy park and crawlered it. Then I raised the land and still didn't get any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old March 18, 2004, 07:51   #47
Santiago_Claus
Warlord

OMG, I can't believe anyone around here still remembers me!

I haven't been around here nor played any AC for years!

The Latin handle, in addition to having long ago expired, was horribly misspelled, so I switched to "Santiago Claus", which also, sadly, is horribly misspelled.

Hmm ... this is a longshot, but would you happen to know to what "Santiago Claus" refers?

Oh, right, energy parks without crashes: Do Not Disturb. Don't look up resource values on the map (you've memorized those anyway, right?), and don't touch your supply crawlers once you've started them harvesting. If I remember correctly, you can cancel harvesting on a corrupted map square, but if you try to begin again you get a crash. Leave your crawlers where you put 'em. No peeking, either: if you move the cursor over a corrupted map square which is being harvested the system will crash, because a reference is made to the energy value of the map square in order to show the supply crawler's stats in the unit window.

By the way, accessing corrupted map squares from the zoomed-in base view won't cause a crash. Something about the map itself rather than the actual game data seems to be what gets corrupted.
Old March 18, 2004, 09:51   #48
Sikander
King

Local Time: 11:22
I don't know what Santiago Claus means other than the obvious play on words.

Oh, and welcome back.
Old March 18, 2004, 11:37   #49
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Yep I 'member you Vin Vidi Vic. Welcome back.

Santiago Clause, Disney film where Tim Allen gets transformed into a survivalist woman freak and moves her Montana Militia to the North Pole?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 18, 2004, 15:13   #50
Santiago_Claus
Warlord

Ahh, yes, here it is:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8379

If I really want that to work I have to use UBB, don't I?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8379
Old March 18, 2004, 19:33   #51
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 15:22
my energy park...it's a little shaky in the southwest because there's some bases there and i didnt' want to put mirrors in their radius, and putting mirrors all the way long the outside is questionable...but it gives some good returns.

Originally inteded to be 5x5, but i just kept on expanding it due to my Obsessive Building Disorder
Old March 18, 2004, 21:39   #52
Santiago_Claus
Warlord

That's a bright plateau you've got there.

If you place the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra atop the monolith at just the right time, will it focus the reflected light of the Echelon Mirrors into a beam of light that points out the last resting place of the ... err, wait, that's in a big warehouse back on Earth, isn't it? Never mind. I'm digging in the wrong place.
Old March 18, 2004, 21:47   #53
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 04:22
That map corruption bug. Yeah, annoyed the heck out of me.

Besides crashing, it also gives the incorrect value.

One method that may or may not work is to open one of your bases first, exit, then check the tile information.
Old March 22, 2004, 22:50   #54
Santiago_Claus
Warlord

Checking from the base works; checking on the map crashes. It's something to do with the map, maybe the map UI or the way the map UI is linked to the game database.
Old March 23, 2004, 02:53   #55
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 04:22
Yeah, just tested it out. If you check one of your bases first, it seems to set the ownership of the terrain improvements correctly and afterwards, you can view the tile without the program crashing.
Old March 23, 2004, 04:30   #56
Skanky Burns

I'm amazed that after all these years we are still discovering things.
Old March 23, 2004, 09:25   #57
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 20:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Method
my energy park...it's a little shaky in the southwest because there's some bases there and i didnt' want to put mirrors in their radius, and putting mirrors all the way long the outside is questionable...but it gives some good returns.
I thought that Echelon Mirrors increase the energy output of adjacent Solar Collector squares? Why building so much Echelon Mirrors then? It's no use...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 23, 2004, 09:48   #58
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Because they stack. 2 Mirrors increases by 2, 3 mirrors by 3...

By building them like this, each solar collector is next to 6 or even more mirrors. 10+ energy per tile is not unusual.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 23, 2004, 10:05   #59
Skanky Burns

Of course it would be so much more efficient if the solar collectors went all the way to the bottom and top rows of the park - you lose 4 energy bonus in that square to add 1 to the solar above it. Still, a very impressive park there.
Old March 23, 2004, 10:07   #60
Skanky Burns

The top right hand side should also be completed - a row of solars there will be quick to make and net you quite a lot of energy.