Old February 26, 2004, 00:51   #1
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Neverwinter nights-revisited
I know that there is another fairly recent thread about this game, but it became thrashed by PWNED's and pictures of cars, not to mention that the thread title was spelled wrong

Anyway, I've been playing the SoU expansion, (I began to get kind of bored by the original campagn not to mention that the game was crashing every 10 or 15 minutes. I'm quite sure that it was a video card problem, because I underclocked my video card and haven't had a crash since I suppose that better cooling may be the answer A $300, non-overclocked graphics card should be able to run any game just fine !!!!!!!!!!!

...sorry back to NWN, so far I've quite liked the SoU expansion, I started out as a neutral evil rogue (I'm no longer a virgin evil character ) , but it turns out that my playing style has been more chaotic than neutral, which imho is a great feature of NWN, if you aren't playing your alignment it will change

At this point in my game I have one artifact, and am on the verge of getting another from a sniveling little kobald, good stuff My character is 5th level, and working toward becoming an assassin and/or shadowdancer.

So in this thread let's talk NWN, advice, likes and dislikes, introduction to some modules, mods etc.

The only module that I currently have is the dungeon of apolyton, but I read some bad reviews about it so I probably won't be playing it

...J/K Jamski, it is next on my list
Old February 26, 2004, 02:39   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 14:25
Yeah, he's a putz .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 26, 2004, 03:50   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

SOU is decent. It's more to the point than the original one- which can drag on in places.

HOTU is even better, but some of the cut-scenes were buggy for me . A bit more laggy as well.
Old February 26, 2004, 09:25   #4
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
Be sure to check out some of the community modules. There are some really great ones out there.
Old February 26, 2004, 09:38   #5
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 19:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Yeah. It has so many references to some "Tassadar" person?
Yeah - he's got a duel-wield hammer and sickle.

I heard that NWN was rubbish, but that the add-ons and various mods that had been made for it were wonderful, and made it a worthy purchase. I doubt that I'll be getting it any time in the near future because I've just dipped my toe into the first Baldur's Gate, but will keep my eyes open for it at a super-cheap price I can't refuse.
Besides, I wouldn't want to encourage Jamski.
Old February 26, 2004, 09:51   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I have NWN but not SoU, so I can't play DoA unfortunately. I can't think of any other TLA's to use either.
Old February 26, 2004, 11:30   #7
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Be sure to check out some of the community modules. There are some really great ones out there.

Which ones do you suggest?
Old February 26, 2004, 11:34   #8
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
SOU is decent. It's more to the point than the original one- which can drag on in places.

HOTU is even better, but some of the cut-scenes were buggy for me . A bit more laggy as well.

Can you take your character from SOU into HOTU? To rephrase, does the HOTU campaign start at first level or is it higher?
Old February 26, 2004, 13:00   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Its been a while since I went to download modules but they had a popularity rating and brief blurb for each one.
Old February 26, 2004, 13:21   #10
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:25
Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge

Can you take your character from SOU into HOTU? To rephrase, does the HOTU campaign start at first level or is it higher?
HOTU gives the option of carrying over a character from SoU (in fact, SoU works into the storyline) or bringing in a lvl-1 character (and auto-leveling-up to lvl-15).

For user-created modules, I'd recommend the entire Penultima and Penultima Rerolled series.
Old February 26, 2004, 17:54   #11
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'd reccommend you look at Neverwinter Vault and play anything that either has :

A rating above 8/10 after 20ish votes or
More than 10,000 downloads
Or is in the "Hall of Fame"

That's at least 500 hours of gaming pleasure, of better quality than the original module(s)

"Bone Kenning" was quite spectacular. The various LotR modules are good too, and Pool Of Radiance is a faithful conversion of the old Gold Box game.

Dungeon of Apolyton is a nice little bit of fun too

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 1, 2004, 06:50   #12
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
I have NWN but not SoU, so I can't play DoA unfortunately. I can't think of any other TLA's to use either.
WOW! Lots of acronyms.
Old March 1, 2004, 13:35   #13
centrifuge
Prince

An up date on my game...

I made it through chapter one solo, (ie no henchmen).
Alll that I can say is thank god for the "use magical device" Rogue skill

My character is now 5th level rogue, 2nd level assassin, and 2nd level shadow dancer. I love the shaodowdancer hide in plain site ability, it's kept me alive quite a few times already.

...as for assassin, can someone give me some advice on how to better utilize this class? So far I've seen no benefit in it over rogue

Currently, I've gone through the desert and made it to the Ao encampment, (...but then my wife was feeling neglected so I had to quit )

Dissident,

You were right, SoU is much better than the original campaign I'm glad that I moved on, the original had become quite boring.
Old March 1, 2004, 14:37   #14
Tuberski

Local Time: 13:25
Now, I guess I'll have to buy the game, a friend lent it to me last year and I completed it.

But all of the user created module have me wanting to buy it.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 2, 2004, 05:42   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

My son is visiting me for a week and wanted to take a look at the game, since I kept mentioning it in phone calls before. He liked it so much, that I'll get the gold edition for him today after work. HoTU isn't out here yet. But I'm greatly enjoying SoU, which is really much better than the original game.
Old March 2, 2004, 05:49   #16
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
...as for assassin, can someone give me some advice on how to better utilize this class? So far I've seen no benefit in it over rogue
Not much good if you're playing solo. You need someone else to distract them if you want the extra sneak attack damage.

Quote:
HoTU isn't out here yet.
I KNOW I've had it on order from Amazon.de since Xmas

-Jam
Old March 2, 2004, 07:16   #17
Harovan
staff

Do the sneak attack of the rogue and the assassin stack? I mean, if I am a level 7 rogue with a 4D6 bonus and become an assassin, will the bonuses I get there stack with the rogue bonuses (5D6, 6D6 etc)?
Old March 2, 2004, 07:47   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I started out as a rogue and just kept adding fighter levels to my character. Now I keep doing sneak attacks with my halberd for much damage.
It helps that my henchman is a rogue too - one of us is always sneak attacking.
Old March 2, 2004, 08:14   #19
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Sneak attacks with a halberd?
Old March 2, 2004, 10:14   #20
Harovan
staff

I have heard of a scythe wielding rogue. Now that is funny.

Btw, nobody has answered my question yet.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:21   #21
Jamski
Deity

Noone knows

Nah, the Assassin gets sneak attack at the same rate as rogue, doesn't it? +1d6 every 2 levels after level 1? They must stack, or there's no point in taking assassin levels.

Sneak attack with a 15 foot spiked chain - now THAT'S sneaky

Skanky - I always do it backwards - I'm a skills whore so I keep sticking more levels of Rogue on my Fighters I mean, just one level gives you +d6 sneak attack... then why not take 3 levels for improved evasion and another +d6... oh damm, lets take another level so I can get "use magic item" up high enough to use that wand of fireballs... hmmm, one more level to give another +d6 sneak attack.... ah, my fighter is now a rogue.

Always happens.

-Jam
Old March 2, 2004, 10:27   #22
Skanky Burns

/me prepares another sneak attack
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	me.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	66023  
Old March 2, 2004, 10:30   #23
Harovan
staff

I see there are more rogue junkies out there. It's an awesome class. Btw, they get improved evasion only as a choice with the 10th level. At 2nd, they get simple evasion, which is, however, good enough.

I'm developing an elven arcane archer right now. Rogue(8)/Wizard(1)/Arcane Archer(2), that's what I have right now, with Linu as henchman . "Imbue arrow" rocks. I'm considering to add a nineth rogue level for some more disable trap/open lock points and 5D6 sneak attack, and may be tenth for improved evasion too.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:32   #24
centrifuge
Prince

Since my character is also a shadowdancer, he tends to sneak attack, run a few feet, hide-in-plain site and sneak attack again, ...and again, ...and again

no need for other party members imho

Quote:
Not much good if you're playing solo. You need someone else to distract them if you want the extra sneak attack damage.
I haven't had any need for other party members, I really don't want any either, (they might get in the way of my characters evil deeds

So, does this mean that I wasted my time going assassin?
Old March 2, 2004, 13:47   #25
centrifuge
Prince

Can anyone explain how to make magic items?

I was able to concoct a barkskin potion using the "grinder", a quartz crystal and some fenberries <--(I think).

...but what about all of these vials of dragons blood, slaad's tongues, poison glands, skeleton knuckles etc. ?
Old March 2, 2004, 13:53   #26
Jamski
Deity

Take them to the smith in Neverwinter or the one in the funny town in chapter 3

-Jam
Old March 3, 2004, 00:34   #27
Skanky Burns

That smith is rather good, got me a special halberd using him.
Old March 3, 2004, 08:28   #28
Jamski
Deity

Or... make some sweet items in the editor, and import your character BETWEEN CHAPTERS into the editor, tool them up, and then import them into the beginning of the next chapter.

You know how to do that, right?

It can be fun to have a +5 sword that does an extra +2d6 of each kind of elemental damage and gives you 32 spell resistance

-Jam
Old March 3, 2004, 08:40   #29
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 20:25
Finally got NWN. Very Nice. Still in the First Chapter but I have to say i was right, Dwarven Cleric is Übercool. Okay with 6 Charisma I cant Turn ánything but hey
I estimate I will complete the Original Chapters by next week.
Should I buy the Expansion or play some User-Campaigns?
Old March 3, 2004, 08:46   #30
Jamski
Deity

Both. Many of the decent user campagines need the expansions to play... I'd not worry too much about completeing the original chapters, they get a bit repetitive after a while (although chapter 1 is the worst in this respect... actually the OC gets better towards the end...)

And yeah - Dwarf Cleric is sweet... untill you run into a heap of traps

-Jam