Old April 9, 2004, 21:27   #271
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
My new character will try to survive with un-enchanted Nordic mail and Nordic weapons(as he's a Nord) for the whole game. With the GOTY edition i've set the difficulty slider to its hardest and hope its going to be more challanging.
Honestly the difficulty of Morrowind is something that does sort of bother me. The problem is not that the enemies aren't powerful enough, but that the AI is nearly non-existent.

I never get the feeling that there's any sort of coordination between the people that I'm trying to kill, even if they're theoretically supposed to be guarding something or working together or whatever.

Enemies are prone to rushing straight at you even when they're clearly outmatched, and if somehow they lose track of you, they go about their business as though nothing ever happened.

I think addressing those basic AI problems would go a very long way towards making the game more challenging, without simply weakening your character and beefing up the computer.
Old April 10, 2004, 00:03   #272
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:28
Quote:
Nope, one of my characters was a pure mage, and he was the most powerful one. Not holding on for very long in a fight initially, but a good mage can wipe out a dozen enemies with one spell...
What was her/his race sign etc.?
Old April 10, 2004, 00:05   #273
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
The properties of plants and potions, etc, are revealed as your Alchemy skill rises. I believe the first and second properties are shown when your Alchemy skill has reached around 35-40, and the third and fourth properties appear 5-10 points or so beyond that.
I'm at 55 with my Redguard right now, and all I can see is three, but the third one appeard around 40something or so.
Old April 10, 2004, 00:06   #274
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Honestly the difficulty of Morrowind is something that does sort of bother me. The problem is not that the enemies aren't powerful enough, but that the AI is nearly non-existent.

I never get the feeling that there's any sort of coordination between the people that I'm trying to kill, even if they're theoretically supposed to be guarding something or working together or whatever.

Enemies are prone to rushing straight at you even when they're clearly outmatched, and if somehow they lose track of you, they go about their business as though nothing ever happened.

I think addressing those basic AI problems would go a very long way towards making the game more challenging, without simply weakening your character and beefing up the computer.
Very True. The only real cordination, is thta the archers stick way back.
Old April 10, 2004, 00:07   #275
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
If you're an Orc, generally, don't go magic. Also, if you're a Warrior sign, forget it. An Orc should mainly get a big hammer and play like, well, a Barbarian. Unless you're intentionally trying to play the in the hardest way for your character, ignore magic.
Does sign really matter htta much? I never really noticed that much of an effect.
Old April 10, 2004, 00:11   #276
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

i have a problme on my Redguard file now. I've also saved over, so there really isn't a way to reverse it, oh well. But in Balmora, the hlallu guards will attack me for no reason at all, when I've already payed off all of my fines. Even when I actually pay my fines to the guards, not to the guy in the thieves guild, they still attack.
Whenever I strike back, on each swing, I get that littel pop-up telling me how far my price has gone up. It seems that with a price on my head, they tend to attack me less. I don't like keeping a p[rice on my head, b/c it lowers my personality, and some people won't tlak to me. They seem to like it more though.
Is htere some sort of voodoo spell that I can use to fix this, or am I preety much screwed?
Old April 10, 2004, 00:20   #277
MattH
King

Local Time: 18:28
You only use one save?

/up to 300+
Old April 10, 2004, 04:51   #278
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
You only use one save?

/up to 300+
Could you be more specific, I find that kind of vague. Are you even reffering to my question?
Old April 10, 2004, 09:25   #279
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 21:28
The sign matters a lot if you combine it with other attributes correctly. For instance, pick an Altmer, with Intelligence and Willpower as favorite attributes. You get a good mage. However, if you pick the Atronach sign, you get the most poweful mage one can ever make.
Old April 10, 2004, 10:16   #280
MattH
King

Local Time: 18:28
Quote:
Originally posted by bipolarbear

Could you be more specific, I find that kind of vague. Are you even reffering to my question?
No, just referring to your save overwrite. On that topic, there once was a story (urban legend?) about the dude who played through most of the game using only the autosave, which got corrupted near the end.

I'm not quite sure how to get the guards to stop rushing you. UESP is down, down, down, but there might be a 'helper' app. Are you sure there's no conflicting quest that makes them attack until you complete it?
Old April 10, 2004, 22:37   #281
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
However, if you pick the Atronach sign, you get the most poweful mage one can ever make.
REALLY!!??
Ij ust tried using a nord to make a more magic based guy, but the problem is that I didn't wantt o make him destruction based, b/c it always takes forever when casting spells.
The thing about intelligence is actually really cool. In all of my other files, I've never picked intelligence as a favored skill. Now i did with my nord, and he's already at 100!!!!! Yay, i cna actually use a scroll now!
Old April 10, 2004, 22:40   #282
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
No, just referring to your save overwrite. On that topic, there once was a story (urban legend?) about the dude who played through most of the game using only the autosave, which got corrupted near the end.

I'm not quite sure how to get the guards to stop rushing you. UESP is down, down, down, but there might be a 'helper' app. Are you sure there's no conflicting quest that makes them attack until you complete it?
It doesn't conflict wit hvery much at all, it just a major nuisance.

Regarding the legend, i actually had to do that with KOTOR on my old XBOX. Our xbxo was screwed b/c my mom made us keep it out in the barn, and it got mucho dusto inside of it. But, yeah I've done that, and yeah, it sucks. Especially the part about the file getting corrupted at the end. It happened to me when I was halfway done on the last planet!
Old April 10, 2004, 23:21   #283
Nacht
Prince

Local Time: 20:28
Quote:
The thing about intelligence is actually really cool. In all of my other files, I've never picked intelligence as a favored skill. Now i did with my nord, and he's already at 100!!!!! Yay, i cna actually use a scroll now!

Scrolls are always succesfull whatever your stats.

Scrolls are magic for non-magical characters.

The downside is they are costly.
Old April 10, 2004, 23:24   #284
Nacht
Prince

Quote:

I'm at 55 with my Redguard right now, and all I can see is three, but the third one appeard around 40something or so.
ingredient properties appear at respectivily 15, 30, 45 and 60 Alchemy skill.
Old April 10, 2004, 23:35   #285
Nacht
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch

Indeed, its my major complaint about an otherwise excellent game. The only pathfinding seems to be running in a straight line to you. If there is a tree inbetween enemies keep hugging that tree, apparently not being able to take one step left or right.

Worse: such glitched enemies can't be shoot with an arrow since your arrows are just as glitched as they are
Old April 11, 2004, 04:22   #286
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Quote:
REALLY!!??
Ij ust tried using a nord to make a more magic based guy, but the problem is that I didn't wantt o make him destruction based, b/c it always takes forever when casting spells.
To create mages, you pick Altmer, Bretons or maybe Argonians. Count on all other races not to be super-mages.

But, I have played a pure mage, that doesn't use a weapon, except for staffs later in the game. And he never had a problem killing enemies, the destruction spells can be great.
Old April 11, 2004, 05:19   #287
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
To create mages, you pick Altmer, Bretons or maybe Argonians. Count on all other races not to be super-mages.

But, I have played a pure mage, that doesn't use a weapon, except for staffs later in the game. And he never had a problem killing enemies, the destruction spells can be great.
Yeah htey can be later on, when you have a lot of magicka, and lots of spells. At the start, it is nearly impossible to kill even a damn scrib or kwama forgager. let alone killing someone to steal everything in their house.
That is why I have chosen to always invest a little in weapons.
Old April 11, 2004, 06:35   #288
Solver
lifer
Deity

Mages have trouble surviving at the start, not killing, for me. With proper use of alchemy, you can make yourself all the potions you need.
Old April 11, 2004, 13:06   #289
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
If you're an Orc, generally, don't go magic. Also, if you're a Warrior sign, forget it. An Orc should mainly get a big hammer and play like, well, a Barbarian. Unless you're intentionally trying to play the in the hardest way for your character, ignore magic.
Thanks. That's what I've been doing, but I thought I might be missing something. (BTW: I'm using an axe, not a hammer. ) It's nice to know that I don't have to hoard all this magical crud. It's time for a garage sale. Oooh, I have lots of diamonds, rubies and emeralds.
Old April 11, 2004, 14:27   #290
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Scrolls are always succesfull whatever your stats.

Scrolls are magic for non-magical characters.

The downside is they are costly.
I meant my magicka is already at 100.
You need 100 magicka to use a scroll, as I remember.
Old April 11, 2004, 14:29   #291
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I've been doing, but I thought I might be missing something. (BTW: I'm using an axe, not a hammer. ) It's nice to know that I don't have to hoard all this magical crud. It's time for a garage sale. Oooh, I have lots of diamonds, rubies and emeralds.
Go to creeper or the mudcrab for the best prices.

Don't necessarily sell everything. You can save a few herbs, mainly saltrice, hackle to leaf, marshmerrrow, scuttle and otehrs, to make lots of restore health and fatigue.
As far as I can figure, it is worthwhile for everyone to invest in Alchemy. It saves you money, and can even get you more money by selling your potions.
Old April 11, 2004, 14:33   #292
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Actaully, I can't remember if I heard ith erer, or on some other site, but a good idea, is to do something to fortify your intelligence(potion, scroll, spell, deep thought whatever), it helps if you cna do whatever it is more than once. Once your intelligence has reached the desired level, then you can start to make potions. With your raised intelligence, you can make many very potent potions.
Old April 11, 2004, 15:10   #293
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
No, no. Anyone can use a scroll, with any attributes, it takes no magica or anything, and it always succeeds. That's how warrior characters can do basic magic, and that's also why scrolls that deal reasonable damage to the enemy are rare.
Old April 11, 2004, 19:19   #294
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 13:28
For anyone interested or pursuing Alchemy, check out Darliandor's Alchemy Lab. Shows you a list of available ingredients, let's you combine them to see what it would create, and also let's you select desired potions and tells you what ingredients are required.
Old April 11, 2004, 19:58   #295
Nacht
Prince

Quote:

I think the 100 you saw meant a 100 percent chance of succes
Old April 12, 2004, 00:09   #296
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
No, no. Anyone can use a scroll, with any attributes, it takes no magica or anything, and it always succeeds. That's how warrior characters can do basic magic, and that's also why scrolls that deal reasonable damage to the enemy are rare.
On the first character I ever created, for some reason I wasn't able to use the scroll of Icarian flight. It was probably just operator error
Old April 12, 2004, 00:12   #297
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

What would you say is the second best magical attribute to invest in?
Old April 12, 2004, 01:15   #298
bipolarbear
Never Ending Stories
King

Oh my god, I have to do this!
Post #300!!!
Old April 12, 2004, 02:59   #299
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:28
For skills. I go for alchemy, then enchant. A high enchant skill will allow you to cast very powerful spells from your items over and over again, every day.

Right now I've got an aforementioned ring that can do 297 points of frost damage in a fifty foot radius on target, over 30 times a day. Thirty monstrously powerful spells a day, without having to use any magicka.

If you meant attributes, a pure mage should probably go for go for intelligence, willpower, and personality.
Old April 12, 2004, 04:37   #300
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Does anyone know about some mission you get in St Olms or whatever it is called (one of the Vivec cantons) where the woman's husband is missing? I found and killed him, then brought his ring to her as proof of his untimely "turning into a walking corpse" disease, but she doesn't seem to accept the ring. I even tried selling the ring to her. :shrug: