Old February 28, 2004, 17:39   #1
swat-spas2
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
cumulative granary?
Anyone tested this yet to see if you can have two granary type improvements? Something like a supermarket or the hospital should do something like this instead of the city size 3 (civ2 sewers instead). It seems sort of hazy as far as if you could make it a cumulative bonus. Searching the forum just turned up the same question about 18 months ago.
Old February 28, 2004, 22:12   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:32
I have not seen one, but I don't see why not.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2004, 19:10   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 11:32
I'm guessing that Granary improvements aren't cumulative, though I haven't actually tried it myself.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 18:58   #4
lajzar
Prince

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Actually, wrt food, there are two separate aspects, rate of population growth, and rate of food production. civ2 granaries affect growth.

I think health-type improvements should affect rate of growth. This ties in with the sudden growth spurt with modern medicene. Granary should really provide some kind of food production bonus, but that can't be modded in civ2.

In civ2, anyone ever modded the granary to rename it hospital, making it available with medicene?

For civ3, is it possible to make a granary increase food production? preferably in increments less than x1.5
Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir
lajzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 22:58   #5
swat-spas2
Chieftain

Based on the editor, you could do it, but only like the harbor does (water tiles). This was my first idea, to make a supermarket type improvement to increase food (ala civ2). Another idea was to decrease the required food per citizen (effectively 2x food), but this is currently only possible in the overall general settings. Not done by a building or a tech, which was the idea. So I'm left with a second granary type building.
Old March 22, 2004, 14:32   #6
Nifty1Pound50
Settler

As it stands, the Granary serves the purpose of making city growth quicker (by virtue of only needing 50% of the original food surplus to add a citizen).

Surely if you add a second building with the same characteristics of the original Granary, but make it available later in the game, and name it something else (i.e. change the cosmetic appearance of it), it would by default be cumulative - so with a Granary, and - for example - Hospital, a city's surplus required for growth would be 25% of that of a city with neither of these improvements?

I'll test it for you in both Civ2 and Civ3, and get back to you in the thread when I'm done. I cannot see any problems, however, but maybe cumulativity doesn't work by default.
Nifty1Pound50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 22:12   #7
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 10:32
afaik, the closest way of mimicking more food production is to mod a worker job, like Mining, and rename it to 'farm' or something simpler like 'improve'. it could provide a +1/+2 food bonus.

then there could be a special farm terrain file for plains/grasslands instead of using the mine graphics, however it could still keep the 'mine' icon so mined hills and mountains remain familiar

railroads already do a good job at representing increased farming imo, too bad theres no 'standard RR tile bonus' check box anywhere for other improvements.
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote