Old March 4, 2004, 08:49   #122
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
"Any of various one-celled aquatic or parasitic protozoans of the genus Amoeba or related genera, having no definite form and consisting of a mass of protoplasm containing one or more nuclei surrounded by a flexible outer membrane. It moves by means of pseudopods."

Quite a nasty thing to have.
How is an ameoba a bad thing to have? I bet you got some in you right now!
Ameobae cause diarrhia, among other things
Old March 4, 2004, 08:59   #123
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 18:40
Re: Re: Animal Rights and Abortion
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I'm pro-choice and a vegetarian ...
You've given up fish?

Do It Ourselves
Old March 4, 2004, 09:04   #124
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
What about the possible diseases you can get from eating vegetables? Such as ones you can get from say unclean vegetables? That is always a possibility. Amoebas?

Fezzie, this is pretty funny. You DO realize that your body is full of Amoebas no matter what you eat? Worse still, it's full of bacteria! Oooooh! Of course, that will always be the case.

Quote:
I have heard that vegans can get sicker easier too.
First, I'm talking vegetarians, not vegans. And second, I've never heard this being substantiated, speaking of unsubstantiated claims. I've been a vegetarian for over 4 years, and in that time I've noticed I've never gotten the flu and have gotten a cold maybe once a year at the most. This is very different from when I was an omnivore, when I would get colds 3-4 times a year, easily. I've never read any scientific study that's made the claim vegans or vegetarians get sick more often than omnivores.

Quote:
All you have to do is cook meats properly. Many people have it medium rare. But no unsubstantiated claims will stop me from eating meat.
No one is trying to get you to stop eating meat--it's very much a personal choice about health and diet. I was simply refuting the notion that being vegetarian for health reasons was "idiotic." It is no more idiotic than exercising regularly for health reasons.

And cooking meats properly doesn't eliminate all the potential health concerns. You can eat a steak that's charred and you still have the cholesterol, fat and trans-fatty acids that are not good for you. Not to mention whatever hormones are in the meat thanks to the methods of rearing livestock.
Old March 4, 2004, 09:05   #125
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Animal Rights and Abortion
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
You've given up fish?
I don't eat fish, eggs or dairy.
Old March 4, 2004, 09:12   #126
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:40
Wouldn't your diet be very close to vegan then?
Old March 4, 2004, 09:24   #127
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Veganism entails no use of any animal products, such as in clothing, hygiene and cosmetic products, etc. I'm not remotely interested in that. I like my leather and wool coats, my shoes and belts, etc.
Old March 4, 2004, 09:41   #128
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

First, I'm talking vegetarians, not vegans. And second, I've never heard this being substantiated, speaking of unsubstantiated claims. I've been a vegetarian for over 4 years, and in that time I've noticed I've never gotten the flu and have gotten a cold maybe once a year at the most. This is very different from when I was an omnivore, when I would get colds 3-4 times a year, easily. I've never read any scientific study that's made the claim vegans or vegetarians get sick more often than omnivores.
I'm a flamboyant omnivore, and I only get a cold once or twice every year, so I doubt it's because of your diet.
Old March 4, 2004, 12:11   #129
Mr. Harley
Prince

UR, thank you. Your statement
Quote:
quote:quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
The argument is not because of what we see in the one embryo, that all the others should live, but that we should not kill the one, because of what we know about all the other embryos.

What on earth are you talking about? What do we know about all these other embryos other than they are lumps of cells?
Ben, that is why I infer, rightly as I happen to know from you other posts, that your "embyro is a person arguments" are based on a series of moral, versus ethical, arguments. The problem is that morality, per se, is virtually always based on a series of "truths" accepted as such per se. Typically from a religious derivation.

Ethics is based purely on self-consistency. Peope have hidden behind ethics to justify unethical behavior, but as I've said, the Free Market Darwinist would think "that's different" when he's getting beaten to a pulp by a mugger. The "that's different" is a good rule of thumb seperating out pseudo-ethical claims.

BK, you did not at all deal with my dual arguments with Sharia. It's based on the same God, and the same Old Testament, it's simple an argument over the final word and the status of individuals who brought God's word to earth. First, they DISAGREE with you, and have Fatwa's, to show their rightness (read morality). Plus, except for a minority Islam would very happily impose Sharia on you. Since it's morally based, of course you wouldn't mind?

Which makes my point, which is more for fellow readers than for you. You simply are incapable of comprehending that possible result. I will grant you BK that you would not knuckle under to the Sharia, and would die a martyr rather passively accept it. Me, I would join the guerillas, but I would rather keep mechanisms in place that would prevent this from ever happening. In pre-Nazi Germany (Weimer Republic) their constitution had this massive loophole (Orginally put in there, if memory serves me correctly, in case of emergencies) that let the Nazis take over. I just wish you could see it.

As another aside, Ben, if you worked as a big brother, you could probably help an adolescent who is at high risk - drugs/crime/early sex - and do more to cut the abortion rate than your protesting. Just a thought? Maybe do both! If you set a good example, you may have a fellow Mennonite. Do it two or three times, and then have each of them do it....
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 4, 2004, 12:23   #130
Q Classic
Emperor

i like meat. as long as i don't have to see sausage made, i'll eat it. sure, if kosher meat is less painful to the animals, i'll go for that, but honestly? meat is meat.

after all, it's been known that some plants 'scream' too, particularly when they're under attack.
Old March 4, 2004, 12:27   #131
Mr. Harley
Prince

Vegetarianism and Animal Rights

Vegetarianism is healthier than the standard US diet, it is not intrinsically healthier, you can have a low-fat high vegatable diet that is just as healthy. However, you meat intake will be heavily limited, and for carnivorous types they might feel they are being vegan.

Vegetarian diets are healthy because they have typically come from traditions where the extra food comes from vegetables, not grains. You have very plump vegetarians in certain countries with a long tradition where they've figured out how to cook delicious, fattening vegan food - just look at India.

Most vegan diets are rough on pregnant women and children. It's harder to get the protein/fat density outside of animal protein/diary/eggs. It's NOT impossible by any stretch, but it is harder. My wife would be a vegan except that she's still nursing, and the fact that she really doesn't like to cook. Since I do the cooking, we are neither vegan nor Kosher. If she wants to put out the effort and fix balanced vegan meals, I'll smile and clean the dishes.

The problem for children is that a high protein - moderate fat diet produces bigger children. It's been seen all accross Asia when western style food was introduced. The problem with western children is that with the spread of video activities and the reduction in physical fitness in schools, they aren't active enough to eat such a diet healthily. America's obesity problem is a combo of junk food, lack of physical exercise, and people staring at a screen (as the poster looks at his screen and then his tummy ).

The problem that you face with the healthy western diet - call it pre-McDonalds, is that given the factors above, eventually it will bite you as an adult. We cannot maintain that level of activity - age, commitments, etc. and eventually we need to switch to a vegan or near vegan diet for optimal health. Since food choices and preferences are developed primarily as a child, this creates a real problem.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 4, 2004, 12:30   #132
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
No, paranoid works. Your chances of getting a disease from meat is very slim.
Wrong. Food poisoning is extremely common in the United States. On top of that, the high fat nature of a high meat diet can also lead to heart disease, which is the number one killer in America. The American diet kills.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 4, 2004, 12:34   #133
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
"Any of various one-celled aquatic or parasitic protozoans of the genus Amoeba or related genera, having no definite form and consisting of a mass of protoplasm containing one or more nuclei surrounded by a flexible outer membrane. It moves by means of pseudopods."

Quite a nasty thing to have.
How is an ameoba a bad thing to have? I bet you got some in you right now!
Ameobas are very bad things to have. In spite of the superficial similarity whie blood cells seem to share with ameobas, ameobas are very nasty little things that can kill. Ameobic disentary is only one of a number of ways they can **** you up.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 4, 2004, 12:39   #134
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

WRT food poisoning any pareto analysis describing root cause of food poisoning. My hunch says most food poisoing in meats results from poor hygene conditions at food preparers more so than any meat packing facilities.

Would also be interesting to see numbers of food poisoning cases from veggies/fruits with break downs for domestic verses imports.

As for dietary health and fat content, thats a known quantity (like cigarettes) let the consumer beware.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 4, 2004, 12:44   #135
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Ameobas are very bad things to have. In spite of the superficial similarity whie blood cells seem to share with ameobas, ameobas are very nasty little things that can kill. Ameobic disentary is only one of a number of ways they can **** you up.
Yep I had that by drinking non-boiled creek water near a poulty plant. Not as bad as the case of Samonella I had from a bad case of wings from a shady wings joint tho'.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 4, 2004, 13:20   #136
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I'm a flamboyant omnivore, and I only get a cold once or twice every year, so I doubt it's because of your diet.
Note that I wasn't comparing myself to other omnivores, but rather comparing myself as a vegetarian to myself as an omnivore, and I get sick dramatically less as a vegetarian. Different people get sick at different rates, so comparing your physiology to mine isn't meaningful.

However, in large scale comparisons of vegetarians to non-vegetarians, lesser rates of illness have been observed.
Old March 4, 2004, 13:25   #137
MrFun
Emperor

fair enough