Old March 3, 2004, 10:30   #1
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 14:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gathering Enlightenment : Stormia announces Age of Reason.
Tempest, January 1st, 680AD:

It hasn't been a very good century for the Holy Stormian Church.

First came the ignoble defeat on Bob, and the Church, an import from the land of Espana, suffered guilt by association.

Then came the drastic change in Stormia government projects, from swords and ships to libraries and universities. Church attendence fell. A shadow fell on the faith of Stormians. There where whispers of a nameless dissent.

Then, ten years ago, Dr. Arrianus Copernicus shocked the nation - and indeed the Church - by announcing that the world revolved around the Sun. Church reaction was indignant, and vengeful. Dr. Copernicus was excommunicated by Cardinal Theseus. But when it became clear that neither Dr. Copernicus nor the general public particularly cared that the Church would no longer care for his everlasting soul, one could say that all hell broke loose.

The Cardinal, together with some of the more ardent supporters of the Church in Hurricane, attempted to apprehend Dr. Copernicus, and "bring him before the judgement of the Lord." As promised, however, the good doctor fortified his observatory, and refused to leave. Drawing on the popular love of his distant ancestor, the humble Grog, Dr. Copernicus rallied likeminded people to his aid. Stormians appeared torn on the issue of faith versus science, but one thing became abundantly clear: to each his own is the Stormian creed. The "siege" of Copernicus' Observatory did not last long.

The very public failure of the Church to defeat Dr. Copernicus' heresy appears to have shattered what in retrospect was a fragile foundation of Stormian faith.

And now comes the final blow. One of the most beloved public figures here in our beloved town of Tempest has joined the crusade... against the Church. Dr. SleepyNewton, heretofore known largely as a good-natured, absent-minded professor at the local university, has stumbled into heresy of his own.

While napping in the boughs of his favorite Elm tree between lectures, Dr. SleepyNewton rolled over - and right out of the tree! This, it turns out, was not the first time such an indignity had been inflicted upon the professor, but this time was still different. THIS time, Dr. SleepyNewton made a breakthrough. He finally understood why rolling off the branch resulting in such unpleasant impact with the ground below. This writer is no scientist, and makes no claim of understanding his new theory, but I have been told it describes an unseen force called "gravity" which pulls all things towards the center of the planet (which, much to the chagrin of Cardinal Theseus, is generally agreed to be spherical).

Ah, but in the midst of this age of scientific discovery, there are rumblings of a backlash. Not from loyal churchgoers, however. Conservatives, yes, but of a different and much older breed. Many of the nation's universities have reported graffiti - the same from Hurricane to Arashi:

**F.R. His Judgement Cometh, and It Cometh Right Soon**

Stay tuned, dear readers. Things might just get interesting here on our cozy island...

(c) Tempest University Press.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2004, 10:53   #2
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:41
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2004, 13:01   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I see a new career in writing could be in the works. Excellent.

Hope we hear from the afore mentioned cardinal soon.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2004, 13:07   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I write letters all day. Dry, boring, legalistic letters, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 3, 2004, 19:29   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:41
Maybe you should change your style at work

:d
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2004, 22:06   #6
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I write letters all day. Dry, boring, legalistic letters, though.

-Arrian
Great stuff Arrian! Best I have read in awhile.

And I know what you mean - my job involves a lot of writing as well - submissions to city council, reports, analyses and the like. And every now and then I want to slip into my Beta character and let loose on a really boring piece of work.
Old March 6, 2004, 13:36   #7
Arrian
Deity

Thanks, Beta.

This was definitely more fun to write than a letter regarding insurance coverage (or lack thereof ) for environmental claims.

-Arrian

Old March 26, 2004, 15:08   #8
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 12:41
(("Hey! Since when was Newton, sleepy or not, anti-Church?" - The Nitpicky Historian Nitwit Who Doesn't Realize it's a Game))

Oh, that's right, go enlighten yourselves. Silly bunch of weasels. So often "enlightenment" is merely the sugar-coated term used by the bloodthirsty to excuse their crimes.

Pope Calixtus II
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2004, 03:56   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:41
Good one Arrian Nice to see Stormia finding answers in science instead of faith
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2004, 20:42   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
You will burn in hell for that, Spiffor.

- Cardinal Theseus

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote