Old March 3, 2004, 15:05   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
NFL: Off Season Action
Sorry if there is already a thread about this...

I just need to vent. Donahue and his boneheads are destroying/dismantling the Niners!

Hearst, Deese, Stone, Moran, Garcia, and soon to be added to the list Streets and Owens… All gone. Not to mention Jim Mora Jr.!

I sure hope they know what they are doing, though I seriously doubt it.

What stupid moves, or good moves, has your team done in the off season thus far, and who do you want from the draft?
Old March 3, 2004, 15:11   #2
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
The Patriots extended the contract of the legendary Russ Hochstein. This is good, since Damien Woody might leave.

The Patriots also have two selections in both the first and second round of this year's draft. Quite a luxury.

On the Niners, yea, Erickson is doomed. The Redskins may be left with one draft pick this year if the deals with the Broncos and the Jaguars are made.
Old March 3, 2004, 15:19   #3
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 14:42
Quote:
Hearst, Deese, Stone, Moran, Garcia, and soon to be added to the list Streets and Owens
They are in cap Hell. I mean, the Owens mis-filing hurt the 9ers worse than Owens. They are looking to trade him, but will still have to take quite a hit (I don't think anyone will just trade him for draft picks).

Because of that, Garcia makes too much. They'll go with Rattay and maybe draft Rivers in the draft and make him the QB of the future.

Heart was going anyway, Barlow was going to take over this year.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 3, 2004, 16:50   #4
Zopperoni
Emperor

The Dolphins cut Brian Griese and traded a 2005-second-round-pick to the Eagles for A.J. Feeley; interesting...
Old March 3, 2004, 16:55   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 13:42
Barlow is now better than Hearst, and Garcia was a beat up old man.
Things are looking up, Japher.
Old March 3, 2004, 16:58   #6
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

ESPN is reporting that RB Thomas Jones will sign with Chicago for four years, $10 million, with a $3.5 million signing bonus. Looks like the A-Train's time is running out. (I'm praying to god that Bruce Allen is angling to get a top running back, because now with Jones out of the picture, we need some help back there big-time.)
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old March 3, 2004, 17:04   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
ESPN is reporting that RB Thomas Jones will sign with Chicago for four years, $10 million, with a $3.5 million signing bonus. Looks like the A-Train's time is running out.
Naw... A-Train is like a cockroach.. he never dies . Jones has been a dissapointment since he's been in the league. No reason he'd be better in Chicago.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 3, 2004, 17:07   #8
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Dallas needs a RB, badly.
Hard to tell if Quincy Carter is as crappy as he looks at times. I imagine he is.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:25   #9
reismark
Emperor

M*$^$#*&%$&%# S#*%!!!

Jevon Kearse signs with the Philadelphia Eagles for six years.

Oh well. Things could be worse. He could be a Ram.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old March 3, 2004, 17:38   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Jevon Kearse signs with the Philadelphia Eagles for six years.
If they get a WR, they'll be deadly!

--

Btw, all the teams that need a RB needent fear. The draft is LOADED with RB. The only position with more talent is WR.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:43   #11
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Beau coup WR's, you're right.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:44   #12
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Especially with Fitzgerland and Mike Williams able to come out.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:45   #13
reismark
Emperor

ESPN reports Kearse's deal is for eight years, $66 million, with a $16 million signing bonus and roster bonuses of $2 million the first two years.

****. I HATE the Eagles.

And now the TO rumors are starting to fly...
Old March 3, 2004, 17:48   #14
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zopperoni
The Dolphins cut Brian Griese and traded a 2005-second-round-pick to the Eagles for A.J. Feeley; interesting...
WTF?

Dolphins desparately need a quarterback and for that matter a backup. Fiedler is shi-ite and at best is a second stringer. Griese is a batter2nd string potential than Fiedler.

Dan, Fire Wanstad already!!

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 3, 2004, 17:48   #15
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Hearst, Deese, Stone, Moran, Garcia, and soon to be added to the list Streets and Owens
They are in cap Hell. I mean, the Owens mis-filing hurt the 9ers worse than Owens. They are looking to trade him, but will still have to take quite a hit (I don't think anyone will just trade him for draft picks).

Because of that, Garcia makes too much. They'll go with Rattay and maybe draft Rivers in the draft and make him the QB of the future.

Heart was going anyway, Barlow was going to take over this year.
the niners are in no need of a drafted qb of the future. both rattay and dorsey could fill that role. so entering a third pick into that lottery is senseless. just sign a decent third string.

the niners basically dumped all their age and high salaries(and ahmed plummer). which I disagree w/. theoretically they could still be a very good team. realistically one of the cogs will likely underperform.

also I hate erickson so much.

keeping owens is a good idea IMO. aty 6 mill a year he's easily worth it.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:49   #16
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by reismark
ESPN reports Kearse's deal is for eight years, $66 million, with a $16 million signing bonus and roster bonuses of $2 million the first two years.

****. I HATE the Eagles.

And now the TO rumors are starting to fly...

Where's cheapshot Sapp landing these days?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 3, 2004, 17:49   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
the niners are in no need of a drafted qb of the future. both rattay and dorsey could fill that role. so entering a third pick into that lottery is senseless. just sign a decent third string.
I don't think Rattay will be that good. Dorsey... forget it . I think you should always have a young QB to groom, especially in the era of Salary Caps and Free Agency.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:52   #18
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think Rattay will be that good. Dorsey... forget it . I think you should always have a young QB to groom, especially in the era of Salary Caps and Free Agency.
both rattay and dorsey have many years left on them. if u signed rivers u'd be in the laffable position of having like 3 nfl starts between ALL UR QB'S. that can't be good.

I think rattay is a bonified starter. and I think dorsey could be very good tho more is up in the air. remember dorsey was dissed on cuz of physical attributes(arm strength, speed). sound familiar?
Old March 3, 2004, 17:53   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
if u signed rivers u'd be in the laffable position of having like 3 nfl starts between ALL UR QB'S. that can't be good.
Who else would you put in your 3rd spot? It'd probably be a free agent career backup who doesn't have many starts at all.

Quote:
remember dorsey was dissed on cuz of physical attributes(arm strength, speed). sound familiar?
Yeah, sounds like his fellow Miami QB, Gino Toretta .
Old March 3, 2004, 17:55   #20
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Quote:
if u signed rivers u'd be in the laffable position of having like 3 nfl starts between ALL UR QB'S. that can't be good.
Who else would you put in your 3rd spot? It'd probably be a free agent career backup who doesn't have many starts at all.

Quote:
remember dorsey was dissed on cuz of physical attributes(arm strength, speed). sound familiar?
Yeah, sounds like his fellow Miami QB, Gino Toretta .
I'd take a career backup over a college kid. I think this argument is moot tho as it simply stems from our vastly different appraisals of the present qb situation. ie. I rate rattay much higher than u.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:57   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I'm not saying Rattay COULDN'T be good. I'm saying that there are too many cases of backup QBs coming in and looking good for a few games, but then they get the starting job and fall apart. I'm just saying some insurance ain't bad at all.

If they can get Brian Griese, then go ahead and get him. If not, look for a QB in the draft.
Old March 3, 2004, 17:59   #22
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
I'm not saying Rattay COULDN'T be good. I'm saying that there are too many cases of backup QBs coming in and looking good for a few games, but then they get the starting job and fall apart. I'm just saying some insurance ain't bad at all.

If they can get Brian Griese, then go ahead and get him. If not, look for a QB in the draft.
a high round college kid is not insurance. byron leftwich looked awful in his first starts. I mean unless u think the guy is tom brady. almost all young qb's tank.
Old March 3, 2004, 18:00   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Leftwich will be a GREAT QB. It was his first year and he really looked good in some starts.
Old March 3, 2004, 18:01   #24
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Leftwich will be a GREAT QB. It was his first year and he really looked good in some starts.
probably true. nevertheless thats tangent. a first year qb is not "insurance" because in all likelihood their performance will be poor.
Old March 3, 2004, 18:08   #25
yavoon
Warlord

oh another thing. I think the patriots should definitely trade out some of their picks. IMO thats too many in a draft. they've done a great job of keeping the inflow/outflow down nicely. but this draft will seriously put them youth heavy, which isn't going to be fun to deal w/ later.

unless of course u see the draft as a lottery and ur simply taking ur shot at finding the all pro. then buy more tickets!
Old March 3, 2004, 18:15   #26
Zopperoni
Emperor

Belichick will find something. Two first round and two second round picks definitely make for great trade material.

The Patriots do have a lot of their RBs on the free agency list: Faulk, Smith and a couple of FBs. Maybe one of those high picks will be used for an RB.
Old March 3, 2004, 19:58   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
a first year qb is not "insurance" because in all likelihood their performance will be poor.
Insurance for the future! Any career backup won't do that great, so if Rattay fails, keep him in and plan to dump him when he gets to Free Agency and you have a QB waiting in the wings.

Btw, the 'Skins just signed Shawn Springs from Seattle (who doesn't care because they have some freaking awesome corners!)
Old March 3, 2004, 22:16   #28
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Manning has single-handedly given Indianapolis a chance to win the Super Bowl.

That is all.
Old March 3, 2004, 23:21   #29
Potassium
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:42
Dear Mr Schottenheimer,

I know in the past you've had problems with making decisions that benefit your team. Do you remember a fellow by the name of Peyton Manning? I'm sure you've heard of him, as he's been one of the best QBs in the league since he was drafted. And I'm sure Ryan Leaf looked like a good QB, so I might be able to forgive that.

There are some things, though, that really make me question why you're still around. Namely, Junior Seau. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU LET HIM GO?!

I don't think I have to go much further with this. I hope that this year we can win more than four games without the help of Doug Flutie. Perhaps you ought to look into acquiring Garcia, and fixing that pathetic O-Line.

Sincerely,
K
Old March 3, 2004, 23:32   #30
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

'Skins are having a *terrific* off-season.

Got a vet QB in Mark Brunell, and picked up a good running back from Denver (I never heard of him before, but they say he is really good). Joe Gibbs is putting his house in order. We can expect good things next season.

As for my Lions... their deal to get Champ Bailey from the 'skins fell through (sucks for Lions, good for 'skins), so that's too bad. But it sounds like we've got a lot of room under the cap, and are shopping around for some cornerbacks. With a pro-bowl corner in Dre Bly, if we can add another A player at that position it'll be a nice combination. Not Champ, but still good.

Plus the Lions just let Luther Eliss and James Stewart go. Luther has been around a while, sucks to see him go, oh well. Not misty about seeing Stewart go, but we really need a running back now. Detroit hasn't had a running game since Barry left. Any good freeagent RB's out there?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah