Old March 4, 2004, 17:01   #61
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 13:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Who can think of a politician from either party that wouldn't have made a similar add? Anyone?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 4, 2004, 17:03   #62
MrFun
Emperor

DinoDoc, that's not the point -- any politician of any party is being arrogantly inane, insensitive, sensationalistic, and excessively self-righteous by co-opting this tragedy for selfish political means.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:08   #63
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 12:42
I really don't get it. These ads do not in any way misuse 9/11 for political gain. They simply state the fact that 9/11 happened and that it was a difficult time.

I mean, if the ad showed the planes hitting the buildings and said something like "Do you want this to happen again?" or "With Kerry, this could happen again", then yes, I would be outraged. These ads do not come anywhere close to politicizing 9/11.

Should we pretend like 9/11 never happened and just never mentionned the event at all? If we do mention it, how should we talk about it? Should the ad show the WTC falling with the tagline "This is what Bush has done to America"? Would that be better for you libs? That would be politicizing the event. These ads don't!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old March 4, 2004, 17:09   #64
rev
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:42
DinoDoc -- you're right, I can't think of many politicians who wouldn't have made similar political hay out of 9/11. That's what is wrong with politics and politicians in general.

It's also what president Bush promised to change in his 2000 quest for the White House. He's the Washington outsider who was going to bring "dignity" back to the White House, but it turns out he's just another politician.

The Democrats are in a position to follow a similar route, too. As soon as the Kerry campaign releases an ad showing dead US soldiers in Iraq, I'll turn my tongue on him, too.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:11   #65
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
I really don't get it. These ads do not in any way misuse 9/11 for political gain. They simply state the fact that 9/11 happened and that it was a difficult time.

I mean, if the ad showed the planes hitting the buildings and said something like "Do you want this to happen again?" or "With Kerry, this could happen again", then yes, I would be outraged. These ads do not come anywhere close to politicizing 9/11.

Should we pretend like 9/11 never happened and just never mentionned the event at all? If we do mention it, how should we talk about it? Should the ad show the WTC falling with the tagline "This is what Bush has done to America"? Would that be better for you libs? That would be politicizing the event. These ads don't!
Obviously, you're missing the arrogant, selfish context in which the Bush administration is coopting the tragedy of 9/11.

To naive people, I suppose taking the ad at face value, they can believe that there is nothing wrong.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:12   #66
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Obviously, you're missing the arrogant, selfish context in which the Bush administration is coopting the tragedy of 9/11.

To naive people, I suppose taking the ad at face value, they can believe that there is nothing wrong.
Well, I don't immediately assume that Bush is being arrogant or selfish about 9/11. I am not a liberal.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old March 4, 2004, 17:13   #67
MrFun
Emperor

No you're not a liberal -- you're just being insensitive to the victims of 9/11.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:16   #68
rev
Chieftain

Regardless of how you feel, this is a huge blunder on the Bush campaign's part. The first shot they fire in the now-underway campaign puts them on the defensive in front of the press and in opposition to victims (and their families) of 9/11.

What I DO find offensive, however, is that Mr. Bush has enough time to take months of vacations, runs ads invoking the memory and horror of 9/11, but refuses to meet with more than select members of the 9/11 commission for more than an hour, because that would violate 'White House privilege'.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:22   #69
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
No you're not a liberal -- you're just being insensitive to the victims of 9/11.
How dare you say that!

I am not being insensitive to the victims. I was shocked and horrified by 9/11 like everyone else. I would never say or do anything to dishonor the victims. If Bush misuses 9/11, I'll be the first to criticize him for it.

Show me where this ad misusing 9/11. It does not even use the word "9/11". It does not even show the planes hitting or the WTC collapsing. it simply states that America has gone through some very difficult times. How is that insensitive to the victims?

Again, I ask: should we pretend 9/11 did not happen? If not, what is the appropriate way to mention 9/11 or maybe only democrats are allowed to mention 9/11?
Old March 4, 2004, 17:26   #70
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Why?

Bush is simply attempting to set eh back drop of and remind folks of 9/11. Thememory of which apparently is fading withinthe minds of the voters. The reminder that we were attacked and still at war is the message.

IN doing so he wants to set the referendum around the war on terrorism a point he sees weak for Kerry and Dems in general.

Did it show bodies, did it show people jumping from the buildings? Those victims families don't need the reminder but the rest of the country apparrently does if exits polls are the measuring stick.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 4, 2004, 17:28   #71
Ned
King

Local Time: 10:42
No Democrat has a right to complain about Bush using 9/11 for all it is worth given the outrageous way they have been politicizing everything concerning foreign policy since.

Outrageous is does not even begin to do justice to the excesses of the Democrat party in terms of politicization of foreign policy.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:33   #72
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
Many of the 9/11 families really don't like the Prez very much. Probably has soemthing to do with that whole, not wanting to create a commission to loko into the attacks, then being obstinate and refusing to cooperate with it for a long time.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 4, 2004, 17:33   #73
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

How dare you say that!

I am not being insensitive to the victims. I was shocked and horrified by 9/11 like everyone else. I would never say or do anything to dishonor the victims. If Bush misuses 9/11, I'll be the first to criticize him for it.

Show me where this ad misusing 9/11. It does not even use the word "9/11". It does not even show the planes hitting or the WTC collapsing. it simply states that America has gone through some very difficult times. How is that insensitive to the victims?

Again, I ask: should we pretend 9/11 did not happen? If not, what is the appropriate way to mention 9/11 or maybe only democrats are allowed to mention 9/11?
Yeah -- you caught me -- I want everyone to forget all about the tragedy of 9/11.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:35   #74
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
If Bush misuses 9/11, I'll be the first to criticize him for it.
If this were true, you'd be criticizing him for it already. He's been doing it for years.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 4, 2004, 17:49   #75
GePap
Emperor

Personally I am tired of the 9/11 families- I cna understand their grief and suffereing, but I do not condone their attitude that grief makes the know better, and I certainly don;t think they own that space or have the right to dictate its uses forever.

As for the commercials, no I am not outraged becuase this is exactly what I expect Bush to do. After all, why else would the republicans have chosen NYC as the site of their convention..and so close to september? I mean, it beyond patently obvious.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 4, 2004, 18:52   #76
The diplomat
King

How come nobody is offended by the new MoveOn.Org ad that blatantly politicizes the economic suffering of millions of Americans. I don't know about you, but if I were a factory worker who lost my job and couldn't pay the bills, I would not want some political group using my pain to beat up a political opponent!
Old March 4, 2004, 19:03   #77
GePap
Emperor

Oh, give it a rest Diplo...

While I already said I don't like the 9/11 families, your comparison is absurd.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 4, 2004, 19:56   #78
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Diplomat...

I don't think the RNC is gonna use this one.
Old March 4, 2004, 20:09   #79
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

How idiotic.
Old March 4, 2004, 20:10   #80
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Art imitating life
Old March 4, 2004, 20:17   #81
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

disgusting.
Old March 4, 2004, 20:20   #82
Verto
King

Pertaining to the 9/11 discussion, I see no problem with it.
Old March 4, 2004, 20:23   #83
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

if Bush wants to exploit 9-11 for political gain, good for him... people are starting to come around. The 9-11 exploitation worked for the Iraq War, but after each lie, a few more Americans become wise to him. I think this will come to bite him in the ass.
Old March 4, 2004, 20:26   #84
Verto
King

Glad people aren't overreacting.
Old March 4, 2004, 20:43   #85
Ned
King

Local Time: 10:42
The hysterical complaints by Democrats concerning the Bush ads is par for their course where anything less than apopletic fits are considered insufficient.
Old March 4, 2004, 22:02   #86
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Gains them all kind of credability in my book. Just look at how much I respect Sava.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 4, 2004, 22:44   #87
JCG
Prince

Quote:
President Bush:
Soy George W. Bush y aprobé este mensaje.
He actually tends to scare people when he says that ...
Old March 4, 2004, 23:08   #88
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Gains them all kind of credability in my book. Just look at how much I respect Sava.
at least I can spell credibility

Plus, respect isn't my goal... it's to be obnoxious and hopefully funny to some.
Old March 4, 2004, 23:10   #89
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Hah! Like spelling is a decent prerequisite, I can still reach my goal of Vice President.

Old March 4, 2004, 23:14   #90
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Hah! Like spelling is a decent prerequisite, I can still reach my goal of Vice President.
dude, you can be president