Old March 4, 2004, 18:10   #1
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 20:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Problem when viewing files
When I try to view my files Poly claims it is empty, it shows just like it is empty. However links to this files work, so I think they are not deleted. This is with new upload service. But I can prefectly view older files. Is there a problem with new files being stored in different location?
And yes, this has never occured to me before, since I was able to view them (new files) before.

When I tried to link one of my recently uploaded files it didnt work. But I can put links to "nonexistant files " for which I know they are there.
Old March 4, 2004, 18:18   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Do you use any adblocking software?
Old March 4, 2004, 18:25   #3
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

No.

Here is the "invisible and unexisting" photo for example.

Old March 4, 2004, 18:55   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Had the same thing a couple of days ago when a ZIP showed up without a ZIP extension, however the person who posted it, tried again later with a RAR file and that one worked perfectly.
Old March 4, 2004, 18:59   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The Zip file post :

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...26#post2765526

The RAR file post :

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...70#post2765770
Old March 4, 2004, 21:55   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
FWIW, that invisible and unexisting picture you attached above doesn't exist for me either.
Old March 5, 2004, 02:05   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
Yes, it's quite invisible.
Old March 5, 2004, 07:21   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:44
Maybe he was trying for a block with the word 'image' on it.
Old March 5, 2004, 14:32   #9
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Re: Problem when viewing files
Quote:
Originally posted by obstructor
When I try to view my files Poly claims it is empty, it shows just like it is empty. However links to this files work, so I think they are not deleted.
i'm not sure what you mean by "links to the files work"
Old March 6, 2004, 15:29   #10
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Older files that I uploaded there, but Poly shows like they there are not here. Bit when I put an image link to file for which I know I uploaded there before, Image works. It still doesnt show on list files. However all files I upload after I discovered this problem do not work no matter what I try (like photo up there).
Old March 6, 2004, 15:32   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Maybe he was trying for a block with the word 'image' on it.
As I said I use NO ADD BLOCKING SOFTWARE! You should read posts carefully. Ahem.
Old March 6, 2004, 16:37   #12
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Bit when I put an image link to file for which I know I uploaded there before, Image works.
these are your files
Code:
32386 Feb 25 14:05 36427_brogpoll.jpg
26505 Feb 21 14:23 36427_IraquiInfromation.jpg
23974 Feb 25 15:02 36427_nakedGeo.jpg
16192 Feb 25 15:12 36427_ss.jpg
78395 Feb 24 16:01 36427_Tassadarwork1.jpg
what do you see when you try to view your files?

if you get nothing, you might solve the problem by enabling the "Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)" option http://apolyton.net/forums/member.ph...on=editoptions

Last edited by MarkG; March 7, 2004 at 04:12.
Old March 6, 2004, 17:15   #13
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

I use that already. When I try to view my files it shows me nothing even as I know they worked fine before.

Anyway this still doesn`t explain why others cant see my newly uploaded files. Anyway, as I see from this list, one file that I uploaded is not here! If this is not in my files then where did I upload it? It is named borg-symbol.jpg I think! These are all files form time I could upload and work with this files normally. Seems to me that Poly uploads my files somewhere else.
Old March 6, 2004, 18:15   #14
Catfish
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
BTW, he's not the only one with this problem. It seems that graphics which have been uploaded recently (I'm assuming since the new version of the Upload service), do not display, but appear as a link to the file (in my case). Attachments work fine, but multiple images embedded within a single post are ruled out. Embedded images work fine when they're hosted by an outside server; the problem only exists for files uploaded here. I have no problem viewing the files within the Upload section.
Old March 6, 2004, 18:47   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:44
Quote:

As I said I use NO ADD BLOCKING SOFTWARE! You should read posts carefully. Ahem.
I guess so should you since I most definitely did not say or imply that.
Old March 8, 2004, 15:32   #16
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc

I guess so should you since I most definitely did not say or imply that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Do you use any adblocking software?
Quote:
No.

Anyway this is a bump. I still see there is still no solution
Old March 10, 2004, 15:05   #17
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Still no solution to this problem. Does anyone know what is it causing it?
Old March 11, 2004, 17:51   #18
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 13:44
Since several functions bonked all around the same time the new search feature came online, it looks like this an IT problem due to the many, varied hacks that have to work together to make this site work.

Something in this new hack doesn't play well with some of the previous hacks. Hopefully, the solution is coming soon.

This "problem/reality" is something to think about when the time comes to start the voluntary no-ads program.

Monk
Old March 11, 2004, 18:14   #19
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 12:44
Quote:
No.

Here is the "invisible and unexisting" photo for example.

The nonexisting image you tried to show us earlier is truly nonexisting according to MarkG obstructor. Maybe we should try something that is in his list like this:

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 11, 2004, 18:17   #20
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Looks to me that it works.

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 11, 2004, 19:38   #21
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

AFAIK from what obstructor told laurentius and me when he first discovered the problem was that he could see the pictures he had already uploaded, but that he couldn't upload new ones. IIRC when he tried to upload the borg symbol, the supposed link to the picture was:
http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...org-symbol.jpg

Notice the lack of his ID number, which appears before uploaded files under the new system. I then suggested him to try out the url with his ID number put in front of it, like this:
http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...org-symbol.jpg
But as you can see in obstructor's second post in this thread, that doesn't work.
Old March 11, 2004, 20:49   #22
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 13:44
Old March 12, 2004, 01:58   #23
Snowflake
Princess

I wonder if he's confused about the old and new uploads. The old uploaded files will still be there, but not in the same place as the new uploaded files (thus he do not see his old files in the new file list). And the url will also be different.

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 12, 2004, 02:00   #24
Snowflake
Princess

Testing
http://url=http://apolyton.net/uploa...org-symbol.jpg

Hmmm not correct either. Not sure if I have the right link though.

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 12, 2004, 15:23   #25
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
I wonder if he's confused about the old and new uploads. The old uploaded files will still be there, but not in the same place as the new uploaded files (thus he do not see his old files in the new file list). And the url will also be different.

HongHu I know this. I am not incompetent. I have files stored both at new and old locations. But any new uploaded files after a certain date seem to be uploaded... into nothingess. This is just an example of it. It doesnt seem that my file is uploaded into my files but somewhere elsewhere. As you pointed out with one of my pics, it is stored in new uploaded files location but works. However the Borg symbol for example doesnt. Hopefully this will be fixed soon of 3D will suffer.

EDIT also the url scripting is different for new files, but it didnt seem to affect my files before.

Last edited by Illuminatus; March 12, 2004 at 15:28.
Old March 12, 2004, 15:43   #26
Snowflake
Princess

Yea Poly seems to be having some problems with the new features. I don't have a problem in uploading and I have uploaded quite a few files. Just uploaded a couple files last night and they seem to work. But I'm still having problems with "my threads" and other people seemed to be fine with it. So this maybe the same problem.

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 12, 2004, 15:51   #27
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Well I uploaded normally and suddenly it doesnt work. But My threads work perfectly. If we could only exchange our Poly problems...
Old March 12, 2004, 16:05   #28
Snowflake
Princess

Not sure that will help much.

Grapefruit Garden
Old March 12, 2004, 16:43   #29
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

the new search system has nothing to do with uploads

for the uploads, it seems that a change must be made so that some cookies are not demanded...

next week...
Old March 12, 2004, 17:32   #30
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
for the uploads, it seems that a change must be made so that some cookies are not demanded...
You got it Marcos. I don't understand it why it can't be made so that no cookies are needed. Welll I forgot for what junk I allow cookies from Apolyton, but when I am not logged in I see a lot of unread posts even if nothing should be indicated when I am not logged in, so I have to delete these junk cookies manually.

-Martin

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; March 12, 2004 at 17:38.