Old March 18, 2004, 12:11   #301
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010

Now that's a record that will take some beating.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:13   #302
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 13:44
Good move Thiezbean, I guess that my cover strat did not work against you. I should have just said F it and gone for your throat.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:14   #303
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:44
Oh, congratulations Doc

(Dammit, dammit, dammit)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:15   #304
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Standings - Gladiators 1-6
Code:
1	The Doctor	28
3	Skanky Burns	16
4	Spacius Maxiumus	16
5	Theben	15
2	Jamski-San	14
6	Mad Captain Garland	7
These 6 standings are final. Up until round 3, Rasputin had 7, Frozzy 3 and Mart 0. Therefore, none of them can get the 15 required to draw for 4th place.

The Doctor wins with a ridiculous 8 matches fought, 7 wins, 1 draw and 7 KOs. Only Skanky survived his brutal assault.
Skanky and Spaced tie for second, and play each other.
Theben's comeback against Spaced puts him into 4th, and a place in the semi-finals against The Doctor.

I vote, since both semi-finals have one very hard hitter in them, that all semi finalists start with 150 HP. The finalists will start with 200 HP. Still 100 points, not more than 50 per line, though. Would that be a good idea? Or keep it too 100?

I will accept orders for both semi-finals now. You have 48 hours for each set of orders, one round at a time. I will do a write up, but not info on each hit.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 18, 2004, 12:18   #305
DrSpike
Deity

Actually Jamski you pushed me close there, taking the final round by 10 points. I figured you'd go all out though, so no KO for you.

I took a risk to try to block and still get a KO, which seems to have worked, but it must have been real tight.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:18   #306
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I think the smiley is Jamski

Hard luck. Your 'experimental' orders in the first round really didn't pay off. Indeed, when you see your opponents orders from the time, you'll kick yourself. You were lucky you won one of them.

Old March 18, 2004, 12:20   #307
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 14:44
YEESSS!!!!!

Congrats to all who played. This has been a great game!

Special congrats to Doc, who I am definitely looking forward to a rematch.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old March 18, 2004, 12:23   #308
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Hard luck. Your 'experimental' orders in the first round really didn't pay off. Indeed, when you see your opponents orders from the time, you'll kick yourself. You were lucky you won one of them.
I really overestimated my opponents and tried to double guess them. What I didn't expect was conventional "block, block, huge swing" tactics. In retrospect I should have kept it simple.

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 12:25   #309
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
Good move Thiezbean, I guess that my cover strat did not work against you. I should have just said F it and gone for your throat.
Looking at your earlier fights, whenever you were ahead after the 1st round you went all defense on the second. I didn't know if you'd do that only 2 points up, but I took a gamble and poured points into attack the 1st round. I had a couple of other cover strats but the only one I was a little worried about was the 1 round kill. Seeing how conservative you'd been in the past, tho, I didn't think you'd try it.

Seems I was right.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old March 18, 2004, 12:31   #310
DrSpike
Deity

Thing is most players used balanced orders at first. It happened last game as well, and my winning then was mainly because I realised the power of block block hack against balanced orders right from the word go.

This time was more difficult. I'm surprised I won so many actually.........with high attack you have to take risks based on your call of your opponents orders. Most of my calls turned out well with double hack, block block hack, and balanced all being used.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:36   #311
Theben
Deity

Block block hack or hack block hack seems efficient. A heavy block makes you safe for a round while only pouring points in 1 category. This conserves points for the attack round.
Old March 18, 2004, 12:51   #312
Jamski
Deity

Last competition the finals were mostly won by the masters of "chip chip chip", though, and I assumed that my opponents would have studied this style. The idea is to hit with a small amount in every round, while rarely getting hacked yourself.

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 14:29   #313
Drogue
staff

Actually, I used block block hack a lot last time. Along with double hack, variable hack (worked well for one round, to see what sort of defense people were using) and blocking the chip chip chip approach. The final was one through double hack for the first few hits, then at the end having low attack high power, banking that Doc would go almost zero defense so he could attack. He went high attack low power, I did the opposite, and we both connected

Old March 18, 2004, 14:55   #314
DrSpike
Deity

The longer matches are about adapting. At the start of the final the double hit strategy was countering my block block hit, but I landed a few very large blows after because Drogue was slow changing his successful opening.

At the end, in trouble, Drogue pulled off two consecutive one in 3 chances to win. I bought a lottery ticket that day on the off chance luck would level out, but alas it did not.
Old March 18, 2004, 15:06   #315
Jamski
Deity

Nice idea though But I think Lady Luck was not impressed by your comparing a 1-in-3 to a 1-in-14,000,000 chance

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 15:11   #316
DrSpike
Deity

Well I could have at least been given a tenner!
Old March 18, 2004, 15:22   #317
Jamski
Deity

Well, the Lady is certainly smiling on you in this game. I wouldn't provoke her though - you may need her hand on your dice in the Semis.

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 15:49   #318
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 11:44
Blarg. I did fine until I started sucking.

Next time! Next time I shall return, wi' a vengance!

Good game all around, though. I managed to remain in sixth place fairly consistently, which means that Drogue's seeding was remarkably accurate.
Old March 18, 2004, 16:04   #319
Drogue
staff

Actually, there's a scary thing. The seeding, apart from the first 3, was just the order you registered, yet apart from Jamski (and possibly Ras) it seems to have beem accurate

Old March 18, 2004, 18:15   #320
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Actually, there's a scary thing. The seeding, apart from the first 3, was just the order you registered, yet apart from Jamski (and possibly Ras) it seems to have beem accurate
well basicaklly i sucked !!! istill dont know how to write a block or hack order or even what a chip is
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 18, 2004, 18:48   #321
Jamski
Deity

A hack is something like 15 0 35

A block is a standard 0 33 0

An chip is 20 0 5

For example.

Now you are a genius

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 19:31   #322
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

thanks for that, having never seen anyones orders , i didnt understand what to put in any of the columsn at all, so i was very lucky to get 2 wins in my tally/
Old March 18, 2004, 19:59   #323
Jamski
Deity

The skill come in the variations on basic orders. Just adding 1 to power for example might win you a round.

-Jam
Old March 18, 2004, 22:13   #324
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

ok my randomly selected numbers werenot too bad reaaly,... i used as much luck as i could siphon ...
Old March 19, 2004, 02:28   #325
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:44
Well, I survived at least.
Old March 19, 2004, 02:33   #326
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

next time i hope to do better now that some one actually told me how to weild my sword
Old March 19, 2004, 04:06   #327
Jamski
Deity

I shall be very surprised if Doc doesn't go on to win this one. He's playing like an absolute ninja.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 07:46   #328
DrSpike
Deity

I'm probably favourite, but anyone can be derailed by an unfortunately mistimed blow. From 4 I wouldn't put my chances above 40%.
Old March 19, 2004, 08:53   #329
Drogue
staff

I'd put your chances at about 50%, since that's the $pam odds I gave for it. I'd put Spaced as second favourite, being that he managed to knock you out, and has been playing well consistantly. Skanky I'm not sure about. He has consistently beaten the non finalists, better than anyone bar Doc, but has struggled against the other finalists. Losing to all but Theben. However I would put his chances marginally higher than Theben's, purely on the fact that he's not facing Doc in the semis. Theben against Spaced could be quite a final, given their results last time, but Spaced vs Doc looks most likely, which would also be quite an affair

Old March 19, 2004, 10:52   #330
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 13:44
So did we decide on the hitpoints for each, 150 and 200 is fine with me.