Old March 7, 2004, 14:19   #1
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mirc Please help
Hello Im having difficulty getting into the Mirc Apolyton channel to participate in the civ3 demo game.

I have followed the instructions to the letter and have Mirc installed and running, I can get a #apoyton window up but not on the Apolyton server. For some reason the Apolyton server wont connect at all.

The chat windows I can get into from other servers are useless cause noone else seems to be there.

This is what I get every time I try to connect to the Apolyton server. Please help if you can.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirc 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	66470  
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old March 7, 2004, 14:20   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

this screen just continues endlessly going into the hundreds of connect retry's
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old March 7, 2004, 14:23   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

The add server screen
This is the info I put into the add server screen
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mirc 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	66472  
Old March 7, 2004, 14:25   #4
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

My details
these are my user details I put in
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mirc 3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	66475  
Old March 7, 2004, 19:19   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:51
Firewall off/on?
Port 6667 open?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 7, 2004, 21:13   #6
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 04:51
Local Date: November 3, 2010
do you need to put the Group infoi in ?? just guessing, i never fill that aprt in and i get straight in ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 7, 2004, 23:28   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:51
I agree with Jamski, it's most likely a firewall problem. Make sure that port 6667 is open and make sure that if you have a software firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) that it is allowing mIRC to use the internet.
Old March 8, 2004, 00:00   #8
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

my firewall always up andf no problems so far
Old March 8, 2004, 03:21   #9
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

it seems it may be firewall related, I am running XP home.

I have not yet fiddled with this setting but have been advised on how to go about it.

Thanks for your replies

The group field makes no difference I have the same problem with or without that field filled in.
Old March 9, 2004, 07:30   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:51
Chrisius and others:

could you please post how to enable port 6667 if using WinXP? I am writing this from my new laptop with XP Pro on it, and I have been unable to get mIRC to connect to Poly, but successfully managed to connect to DALnet and other servers. As this who know me will know, I need IRC and Poly chat just to survive!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 9, 2004, 08:08   #11
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Since you (edit: Chrisius) are European, you might be affected by the problem described here.

I also cannot access the chatroom

Last edited by BigFurryMonster; March 10, 2004 at 14:51.
Old March 9, 2004, 16:26   #12
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 20:51
Re: Mirc Please help
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
the Mirc Apolyton channel
mIRC newbie. It's an IRC channel, not a "mIRC" channel. Remember that mIRC is just a IRC client software. For instructions on the use of the IRC service, see the IRC FAQ for ACS.
Old March 9, 2004, 16:34   #13
Rasbelin
Emperor

MWIA,

you don't "enable" port 6667, it's already "enabled" when you have the TCP/IP protocol installed. However it can be either closed or open. By default it's open, which it should be, unless you have changed the settings. If you don't have a firewall, which masks or just closes port 6667, then it should be open for inbound traffic. Is the problem occuring when connecting to any IRC server on port 6667? Only ACS? If yes, then port 6667 is your problem.
Old March 10, 2004, 02:55   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Cannot check for certain for another hour, but I managed to connect to DALnet OK, and I think that was on 6667.

And BFM - I may be European when inputting my ethnicity into the census, but if you burrow a tunnel from Spain through the Earth's core to the other side, that's where you'll find me - about as far from Europe as you can go without leaving the planet.

Old March 10, 2004, 03:18   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

@ Rasbelin thanks for pointing out the blatantly obvious, congrats you spotted I made a typo! somebody get that man a medal!!

Your advice is of absolutely no help to my problem. I have read the Faq I have installeed correctly, I have filled in all the fields correctly. I can use Mirc with other channels already listed their but poly,s channel wont work period.

If you had bothered to read the thread before chiming in so uselessly you would have read that I have already been made aware that XP has Firewall built in that may be my problem.

As I have managed to use the Java room with no problem I no longer need to waste my time with Mirc and no longer need this thread open.

Mods please close this thanks, or if Rasbelin insists on having somewhere to get plus ones and spellcheck mo poists its your call.
Old March 10, 2004, 06:45   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
@ Rasbelin thanks for pointing out the blatantly obvious, congrats you spotted I made a typo! somebody get that man a medal!!
Gee, now you start bickering about something pointless.
Quote:
I can use Mirc with other channels already listed their but poly,s channel wont work period.
You mean that you can use other IRC servers and networks, but not the one of ACS. There's a huge difference between all these 3 things.
Quote:
If you had bothered to read the thread before chiming in so uselessly you would have read that I have already been made aware that XP has Firewall built in that may be my problem.
Yes, I have read this thread. As for the firewall, you can simply disable it under the settings for your connection.
Quote:
As I have managed to use the Java room with no problem I no longer need to waste my time with Mirc and no longer need this thread open.
The Java applet IRC client is crap. You'd better use a proper IRC client; like mIRC. I'm sure the issue isn't that great. Most likely your firewall. I can't reproduce your problem, so I can't exactly determine the problem. OTOH, new IRC users hardly bother anyway to tweak things to have it working well.
Quote:
Mods please close this thanks, or if Rasbelin insists on having somewhere to get plus ones and spellcheck mo poists its your call.
Ack.
Old March 10, 2004, 08:28   #17
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I find Chatzilla does the job with less trouble than mIRC... just my 2 cents again.

And the IRC FAQ is pretty obscure as well.

-Jam
Old March 10, 2004, 14:55   #18
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
And BFM - I may be European when inputting my ethnicity into the census, ...
Sorry - I meant Chrisius there. Edited my post above.

Jamski: you're right. MIRC is not a decent piece of software - it's just one of the least user-unfriendly ones. The Help section is a disaster.
Old March 10, 2004, 15:05   #19
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:51
Re: Re: Mirc Please help
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin

mIRC newbie. It's an IRC channel, not a "mIRC" channel. Remember that mIRC is just a IRC client software. For instructions on the use of the IRC service, see the IRC FAQ for ACS.
well said you old chook, you got him there

sure did help him get the issues sorted

Last edited by Paddy; March 10, 2004 at 15:15.
Old March 10, 2004, 15:28   #20
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

its always good to see the level of help that people here will stoop too, there is nothing your friends wont do to put you in the right direction
Old March 11, 2004, 08:55   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Guess this thread is a non-issue now. Next time I started my laptop, I tried changing the real name I gave to my actual name instead of MrWhereItsAt. And it worked.

Funny, isn'pt it?

Why is everyone looking at me like that?

Old March 11, 2004, 21:24   #22
Jamski
Deity

You mean that "stunned silence like a dead fish" look?

-Jam
Old March 12, 2004, 01:27   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:51