Old March 8, 2004, 14:15   #31
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
if right isn't right, left is all that's left, right?
Old March 8, 2004, 15:26   #32
lord of the mark
Deity

the words right and left forpolitics, which started in France after the Revolution, have been used in so many different ways in different times and places,as to have little meaning outside of a specific context.

while it is hard to avoid their use in describing a political spectrum, 90% of the time when they are used they generate more heat then light.

Even relatively they are problematic - as a direction left means A. Favoring change over the past B. Favoring those with less wealth or power C. Favoring Cosmopolitan or universalist approaches over ethnocentric ones

But these dont all go together (for example when the wealthy are also universalist, or the antitraditionalist change favors those with more wealth) and this is further confused by historically accidental correlations with related issues such as govt intervention in the economy, as GePap points out - eg in 18th C France govt interventions in the economy where A. Traditional B. ethnocentric and C. Favorable to privileged classes - so free markets were "left" Once capitalism had created a new wealthy (i wont press the hot buttons by saying "ruling") class, and once capitalism had been reconciled to the ethnocentric state, capitalism didnt seem so left, especially with calls for state interventions that were more "left" - some of which interventions are now criticized as privileges by some.

Left-right implies a one dimensional issue spectrum. stable over time and space. Instead we have multidimensional issue spectrums which vary over time and space. There is just enough correlation among issues, and enough continuity over time and space, to make left and right useful, though tricky categories.
Old March 8, 2004, 15:31   #33
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

It's based on tradition. Those on the right are for very slow, gradual progress, but keeping as many traditions as are possible. The far right want no change at all or to go back to a 'better time'. The left wants more rapid change and screw tradition where it conflicts with what is 'just'. The far left wants super-rapid change and screw tradition even where it doesn't conflict with what is 'just'.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 8, 2004, 16:28   #34
Kuciwalker
Deity

I take it I'm left-wing then, Imran?
Old March 8, 2004, 16:39   #35
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 20:54
When driving a car in England, the left side is the right side and the right side is suicide
Old March 8, 2004, 16:40   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
If you want to say **** tradition, then yes.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 8, 2004, 16:40   #37
Kuciwalker
Deity

Proof that England is screwed up
Old March 8, 2004, 16:43   #38
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:54
I beleive the question was what does 'left' or 'right' mean to you?

You don't need Imran's permission to be either Sky.

You simply need to define it for yourself and then come to the conclusion whether you are right or left.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 8, 2004, 16:44   #39
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 10:54
right and left are synonymus (sic) with the repression of liberty.
Old March 8, 2004, 16:45   #40
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
If you want to say **** tradition, then yes.
What if I want to completely ignore tradition?
Old March 8, 2004, 16:47   #41
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Then similarly... but you are not one of those people. For example, you don't want to ignore the Constitution when you feel something would be better except for a pesky Constitutional provision (ie, you'd rather go through the process of changing it... acknowledging tradition).
Old March 8, 2004, 17:07   #42
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Left and right comes, IIRC, from the French revolution, whereby 'the Mountain', the radical Jacobins sat on the left, high up; the Girondins and the Monarchists on the right; and the Plain in the middle. The left generally were more radical, wanted more democracy, more power for the lower classes, and a fast, revolutionary change. the right generally were more for the status quo and wanted more authoritarian rule from above.

However economics has become increasingly more important in politics, so generally lower tax has become a right wing policy, and higher tax a left wing one. Which goes with the size of government too.

Thus, policies I would see as right wing:
Low tax, low welfare - Social Darwinism.
Pro-business/the rich.
Authoritarian rule - more power to the rulers, and stronger on law and order.
Smaller government.
More freedom in business and monetary matters.
Less freedom in social matters.

Policies I would see as left wing:
High tax, high welfare - helping those who are disadvantaged.
Anti-corporation/pro-the poor.
See's criminals as disadvantaged, so laxer on punishment and law.
Larger government.
Less freedom in business and monetary matters.
More freedom in social matters.

Obviously few adhere to all of them, on either side, but as a general guide, that is how I'd see policies.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 8, 2004, 18:08   #43
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
Then similarly... but you are not one of those people. For example, you don't want to ignore the Constitution when you feel something would be better except for a pesky Constitutional provision (ie, you'd rather go through the process of changing it... acknowledging tradition).
Huh? You don't obey the constitution because it's tradition, you obey it because it's the law. Otherwise, anyone except an anarchist is conservative.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:11   #44
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Imran the lawyer in training... heh. Remember, Sky, the Law is all about tradition. I think that's the point of view Imran is coming from. Thus, the Constitution is tradition, and following it is accepting said tradition.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:13   #45
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
It's simpler. It's a conflict of fundamental values. The stuff about governments and policy are just means to an end. That's why both right and left have endorsed statist solutions at one time or another.

In my view the fundamental value of the left is equality: no person's welfare has more moral significance than anyone else's. The resulting political program emphasizes equalizing outcomes as much as practically possible (exceptions can be made when inequalities will lead to the bottom group being better off than they would have been under absolute equality.

For example, public education is a leftist institution because it attempts to give everyone a good education so that they may fairly compete for the more desired positions in society. In the view of the left this is a just and efficient outcome. Just because it preserves equality of opportunity and efficient because (ideally) nothing gets in the way of talent being recognized.

The fundamental value of the right is inequality - the privileging of the welfare of certain groups over that of others. That's why the right will tend to support anything that preserves power, class and privilege and why it is the preferred ideology of the powerful - in our case that usually means inequality of wealth.

Again education is a good example. The right prefer private education over public because it allows wealthy individuals to give their children a competitive advantage and maintain class inequality (they give other reasons, but this is the real one - which parents who send their kids to private school will admit if pressed).
Old March 8, 2004, 18:14   #46
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:54
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Huh? You don't obey the constitution because it's tradition, you obey it because it's the law. Otherwise, anyone except an anarchist is conservative.
the consitution doesn't really set up laws individuals have to obey, it's more like a blueprint for government and an outline of civil rights... except for that stupid prohibition crap... hopefully all this gay marriage talk is hot air, because I'd hate to see a great document disgraced once again.

Plus, I follow my own moral guidelines. For instance, I piss on marijuana laws.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:18   #47
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
It's simpler. It's a conflict of fundamental values. The stuff about governments and policy are just means to an end. That's why both right and left have endorsed statist solutions at one time or another.

In my view the fundamental value of the left is equality: no person's welfare has more moral significance than anyone else's. The resulting political program emphasizes equalizing outcomes as much as practically possible (exceptions can be made when inequalities will lead to the bottom group being better off than they would have been under absolute equality.

For example, public education is a leftist institution because it attempts to give everyone a good education so that they may fairly compete for the more desired positions in society. In the view of the left this is a just and efficient outcome. Just because it preserves equality of opportunity and efficient because (ideally) nothing gets in the way of talent being recognized.

The fundamental value of the right is inequality - the privileging of the welfare of certain groups over that of others. That's why the right will tend to support anything that preserves power, class and privilege and why it is the preferred ideology of the powerful - in our case that usually means inequality of wealth.

Again education is a good example. The right prefer private education over public because it allows wealthy individuals to give their children a competitive advantage and maintain class inequality (they give other reasons, but this is the real one - which parents who send their kids to private school will admit if pressed).
that is all bullshit
Old March 8, 2004, 18:19   #48
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

To add to my post above.

- This is why "The Christian Right" is an oxymoron.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:22   #49
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

And Agathon trots out the old "the Right is evil" line.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:26   #50
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I'll compromise with Agathon.

Left=tooth fairies
Right=evil dentists

Does that work for you?
Old March 8, 2004, 18:26   #51
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
It's based on tradition. Those on the right are for very slow, gradual progress, but keeping as many traditions as are possible. The far right want no change at all or to go back to a 'better time'. The left wants more rapid change and screw tradition where it conflicts with what is 'just'. The far left wants super-rapid change and screw tradition even where it doesn't conflict with what is 'just'.
Cool, now I can claim to be right-wing.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 8, 2004, 18:31   #52
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
A de-emphasis of private sector solutions and/or penalizing of same.
And, to me, a private sector solution is an oxymoron.

The problem with a lot of replies in this thread is that they are defining one side and then just stating that the other is the opposite.

Saying that the Left == "pro-taxes" is silly. Yes, the Right may == "anti-taxes", but the Left isn't the Right's complement. The two sides have different priorities and taxes -- whether raising or lowering -- just aren't high on the Left's list. Taxes are a means to an end. They are not an end in and of themselves.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:35   #53
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
And Agathon trots out the old "the Right is evil" line.

-Arrian
Historically, that is what the right has stood for. It's the simplest and best explanation that links together right wing behaviour.

The right currently want to privilege the welfare of heterosexuals over homosexuals and rich over poor.

Historically, they've privileged the welfare of men over women and whites over everyone else (esp. Jews). See a pattern?
Old March 8, 2004, 18:37   #54
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

that is all bullshit
Says the man who has never posted anything worth reading in his whole Apolyton career.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:38   #55
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Keeping tradition for it's own sake. Has there ever been a more brainless philosophy? I think not...
Old March 8, 2004, 19:04   #56
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:

Says the man who has never posted anything worth reading in his whole Apolyton career.

well, how can I argue with that kind of statement
Old March 8, 2004, 19:08   #57
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I hate to agree with Ag, who'se obviously a weapons-grade tosser, but that's how it is more or less. Find any system of oppression where one group dominates another, and the ones who support the weak group are inevitably "the left" while those who support the continual domination of the strong group are "the right".
Old March 8, 2004, 19:13   #58
Japher
Emperor

Left=Che
Right=Ned
Old March 8, 2004, 19:13   #59
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:

Where, then, would you place a system that focuses on giving benefits based on merit, but has an equal opportunity to show that merit? Where would you place a system that wants to make everyone better, but doesn't care if they're equal?
Old March 8, 2004, 19:15   #60
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
The right currently want to privilege the welfare of heterosexuals over homosexuals and rich over poor.
SOME of the "religious right" want to privilege heterosexuals over homosexuals. Notice that a lot of the "right" at 'Poly don't.