Old March 8, 2004, 17:47   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
is it time to reshuffle the forums?
RON forums pretty quiety, Paradox games forum very quiet, Other games forum filled with forum games, console game threads, etc.

Time to change?

One forum for "other strategy games" to include Paradox games, RON, as well as misc TBS, RTS, wargames, etc. And "Other Games" to include forum games, console games, RPG's, shooters, etc.

Your thoughts?
Old March 8, 2004, 18:15   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
I do agree that the list-box is becoming a bit hard to navigate.

For Civ3 alone, there are 13 direct accesible forums from it as it stands right now, and 15 for the archives.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:16   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:54
Its almost certainly time to drop the OT forums. There's no reason to keep them alive anymore, is there?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:36   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Its almost certainly time to drop the OT forums. There's no reason to keep them alive anymore, is there?

-Jam
:chuckle:

Let's see where that one goes.
Old March 8, 2004, 18:54   #5
Space05us
King

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
I absolutely agree, the sooner we get a higher post count for spamming the better!
Old March 8, 2004, 18:55   #6
Theben
Deity

Why would you want to get rid of the On Topic forums?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old March 8, 2004, 19:05   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Nonono, he means the OT forums.
Old March 8, 2004, 19:47   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

We can move all the OT discussions into A/C!
Old March 8, 2004, 20:04   #9
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:54
There are several reorderings that would make a whole lot of sense, but they aren't going to happen, at least until Mark finishes his service.
Old March 8, 2004, 20:53   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Isn't that what much of the AC forum already is?
Old March 8, 2004, 21:05   #11
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Oi, there's enough spam here as it is!
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old March 8, 2004, 21:35   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Nonono, he means the OT forums.
Yes, the on topic forums.
I mean, they dont contribute much anyway
Old March 8, 2004, 22:55   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:54
Off topic should be on top. Followed by Civ3, then Civ2. Then SMAC. Then all the other crap.
Old March 8, 2004, 23:09   #14
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, now they're arranged by game release date, I think... but Galactic Civs really should be combined into the Other Games section and consolidated- it's a wasteland... and MOO III should at least be consolidated
Old March 8, 2004, 23:12   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Galactic Civs really should be combined into the Other Games section and consolidated- it's a wasteland...
So sadly true. With one of the better AI's around, its hard to understand why that game never took off.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 8, 2004, 23:52   #16
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

The Off Topic must be off!

Well, I never posted (or I¡m going to post) over there. Not all the people, but it's easily to find mayor flamers and trolls down there

So, no, I prefer to avoid it.

Abouth merging the other forums, yes, you ideas seems right to me

Alexander the Great
Old March 9, 2004, 00:08   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Isn't that what much of the AC forum already is?
You obviously have never wandered into the OTF.
Old March 9, 2004, 00:18   #18
Theben
Deity

****ing a, skywalker- why'd you change your name?
Old March 9, 2004, 02:22   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:54
Change is bad.
Old March 9, 2004, 03:56   #20
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

He got tired of me calling him Young Skywalker.

Quote:
Well, I never posted (or I¡m going to post) over there. Not all the people, but it's easily to find mayor flamers and trolls down there
eh, you must be either a quick study, or naturally talented.
Old March 9, 2004, 04:55   #21
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kucinich
You obviously have never wandered into the OTF.
Actually, there was a point where I did go in there and attempted to participate. I gave up on the place pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Slayer

So, no, I prefer to avoid it.
I avoid the off-topic forum like the plague as well. I tried to participate at one point, but found that the vast majority of the place is just trolling. Were it not for having to sift through a neck-deep cesspool of trolling to find the intelligent discourse burried in there, it would be far more enjoyable.

There's also the matter of just not having enough TIME to keep up with a forum where there are so many active threads (sometimes 2 pages worth!!!) that someone would literally have to be online and in that forum much of the day just to keep up.... which probably explains the trolling issue, too...

Sorry to dump on the OTF, as I know there is some intelligent discourse that does go on in there and I know a lot of people like it... it's just that some of us really don't have the time to go wading through that place looking for it, really.

As for where the OTF belongs, it should definately remain at the bottom.

Last edited by Arnelos; March 9, 2004 at 05:06.
Old March 9, 2004, 06:55   #22
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

YAY! My troll takes wings and flies

Nah - its better to have all the crap in the OTF than missing up the rest of the site with endless

"USA suxx0rs"
"USA r0xx0rs"

ad infinitum.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 9, 2004, 07:41   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:54
Some changes are perhaps needed, like folding RoN into Other Games. However, I don't see any point in splitting the forum games off, they are bringing in more traffic to the Other Games Forum. That means other threads get more exposure as well.
Old March 9, 2004, 10:42   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
YAY! My troll takes wings and flies

Nah - its better to have all the crap in the OTF than missing up the rest of the site with endless

"USA suxx0rs"
"USA r0xx0rs"

ad infinitum.

-Jam

yeah obviously, which is why almost every site on the net with multiple boards has an offtopic forum. (your troll was funny, can beleive people followed up on it - )
Old March 9, 2004, 10:43   #25
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Off topic should be on top. Followed by Civ3, then Civ2. Then SMAC. Then all the other crap.
To clarify, i meant combining forums, not changing the order of presentation.
Old March 9, 2004, 10:46   #26
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Some changes are perhaps needed, like folding RoN into Other Games. However, I don't see any point in splitting the forum games off, they are bringing in more traffic to the Other Games Forum. That means other threads get more exposure as well.
OK, maybe. Though if bringing RON and EU/HOI/VICTORIA in might bring more heft to Other Games. Ultimately what id like to see would be a forum devoted to the more serious, historically minded games. Seems like Poly is a logical place to have such a thing. I accept the decision not to have a history forum, but would like something like this. But perhaps Other Games needs more heft and visibility first.
Old March 9, 2004, 10:49   #27
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

There's also the matter of just not having enough TIME to keep up with a forum where there are so many active threads (sometimes 2 pages worth!!!) that someone would literally have to be online and in that forum much of the day just to keep up.... which probably explains the trolling issue, too...

Sorry to dump on the OTF, as I know there is some intelligent discourse that does go on in there and I know a lot of people like it... it's just that some of us really don't have the time to go wading through that place looking for it, really.
Two complaints about OTF.

1 - in the absence of a history forum, history discussions must take place in OT. To the extent that OTF is filled with spam, flamewars, trolling, etc it becomes a very poor substitute for a history forum.
2. Some people post game related items there. While I understand the desire for exposure, its annoying to those of us whod like to see more game related discussions in other games.
Old March 9, 2004, 10:59   #28
alva
Deity

Could there be a history forum among the goodies when should paid membership become an option? (open to all, yes, yes)

Old March 9, 2004, 12:34   #29
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

So sadly true. With one of the better AI's around, its hard to understand why that game never took off.
It just was not that much fun. It was just ok and did not generate that must play one more turn.
Old March 9, 2004, 18:01   #30
jomateix
Chieftain

How many have noted that the most unused themes for the forums speed up them consierably?