Old March 9, 2004, 09:58   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 12:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Paper Naming Suggestions.
We all know I suck at naming.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 10:06   #2
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:56
"Tobacco Tribune"
"Herald of Arcadia"
"Apolyton Weekly"
BigFurryMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 10:56   #3
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 18:56
Well, we have Beer (grapes), Smokes (tobbacco) and Candy (sugar) all right next to us. Plus a manuer spewing cow. All this along the River Styx (or whatever we call it).

Actually, I think just plain old "The River Styx" is a good one.

Apolytonian: "Hey, did you read the River today?"

Kid on corner with a stack of cow chips that have some ingraving on them: "Get your River here! Empire founded! Read all about it in the River Styx!"
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 11:44   #4
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Quote:
Beer (grapes),
Beer from grapes!? Madness!
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 15:56   #5
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Agora times
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2004, 20:45   #6
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Agora times
Not bad. In keeping with the theme. I like it. And the Agora is a 'forum' of sort.

Other suggestions:

The Messenger (after whomever it was that carried the message from Marathon)
The Marathon
Euclidian Times
Socrates Daily
Geek Weekly (what else do you expect for a bunch of history/strategy/computer types who spend their spare time here. )

We could even have a Geek of the Week article.

As in : "Hi my name is Testicles. Big Testicles. I work in the department of health. The office of reproductive technologies to be exact, My duties there include ....."
Old March 9, 2004, 21:35   #7
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The Grapevine
Old March 9, 2004, 23:14   #8
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:56
Apolloton Review

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Aidun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2004, 10:19   #9
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Hermes' Message
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old March 10, 2004, 12:20   #10
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Hermes' Message
That's my favorite so far.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 10, 2004, 12:23   #11
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Just read in the other thread, some want to include:

The Oracle.

Good one as well.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 12, 2004, 01:01   #12
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I like the grapevine myself, but some of the others are also good...

E_T
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2004, 05:12   #13
jagjef
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Vox
Prince

Local Time: 19:56
One vote for "The Oracle"
Old March 12, 2004, 05:16   #14
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

The Oracle sounds great to me.
Old March 12, 2004, 11:26   #15
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

"Oracle" is brilliant.
Vlad Antlerkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2004, 13:10   #16
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 18:56
I also like "The Oracle" of course it will need to report next weeks news
jim_steer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2004, 21:18   #17
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

The Oracle sounds good.

Or maybe, Hermes' Messenger...
Old March 13, 2004, 19:46   #18
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I originally liked the Oracle - but it would appear that the Oracle has taken on a life of his own. I would go with Hermes' Messenger and stay out of the copyright battle.
Old March 13, 2004, 22:11   #19
Aidun
Emperor

The Oracle has definately taken a life of it's own. I'd go for Hermes' Message. Not Hermes' Messenger, because Hermes himself is the messenger.

Aidun
Priest of Apollo
Old March 13, 2004, 22:29   #20
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun
I'd go for Hermes' Message. Not Hermes' Messenger, because Hermes himself is the messenger.
Good point. But then you are all knowing, and all seeing.
Old March 13, 2004, 22:59   #21
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Well, here's an idea. We call the paper 'Zeus' Messenger' and use Hermes as a logo.
Old March 13, 2004, 23:04   #22
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Oracle - If we never built the Oracle (as in the Wonder) in the game, the name of the newspaper becomes meaningless. Worst, it will be a bad joke. That's the reason i don't support Oracle.

I prefer The Grapevine because of the Grape nearby, and knowing UnO from his previous publication, this newspaper is more aboout "rumours", "fabrications" , "hearsay" - just what a Grapevine is.
Old March 14, 2004, 00:08   #23
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Hmm...

"The Messenger" or "The Grapevine"

Both good.

Any artists out there? Someone care to come up with a logo for me?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 14, 2004, 00:31   #24
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

My pathetic first attempts.

Alright, anyone know why they are only links when I'm using the IMG tag?

Edited by BigFree to fix image tags

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by BigFree; March 14, 2004 at 05:14.
Old March 14, 2004, 01:43   #25
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
My pathetic first attempts.

Alright, anyone know why they are only links when I'm using the IMG tag?
I like the Grapevine pic. That's odd that the IMG tags aren't working. Are the files large by any chance?
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2004, 05:17   #26
BigFree
Deity

To get images to show with the "new" upload space you have to use this format, except you use "<" instead of "{"

{IMG src=http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?file=20498_Messenger.JPG}

If you have files in the old upload space, which is still there, you continue using the img tags as before.
Old March 14, 2004, 12:12   #27
Aidun
Emperor

So are we going to have a competition between The Messenger and The Grapevine, like the New your Times and the Washington Post?

Aidun
Old March 14, 2004, 19:11   #28
Beta
lifer
Deity

Man, UnO. Both are great! Poll? Or go with which ever you like best. Maybe the Grapevine. But the Messenger is good too. Tough choice.
Old March 14, 2004, 19:33   #29
Aidun
Emperor

We could have one serious and one funny newspaper

Aidun