Old March 16, 2004, 00:29   #61
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 12:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
yah

I have thought about it

or making it so that you start as warriors/rogues/adepts and pick up stronger classes later (when you earn them)

Jon Miller
Old March 16, 2004, 00:31   #62
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I meant experts rater than rogues

Jon Miller
Old March 16, 2004, 00:38   #63
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
Yeah, moving up later on, good call.
Old March 16, 2004, 01:03   #64
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

so what is the final call

is it worth it?

a note, this campaign seems much more XP freindly than Gold freindly

Jon Miller
Old March 16, 2004, 01:57   #65
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:59
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
And NEVER save those potions for later. If the GM gives you a potion of Fire Protection - expect to be attacked by fire-breathing monster later.
Not me. I give out random potions and scrolls to confuse people.
Old March 16, 2004, 14:21   #66
Felch
Emperor

I give out naked pictures of George W. to confuse and terrify people.
Old March 16, 2004, 14:30   #67
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:59
Quote:
Not me. I give out random potions and scrolls to confuse people.
I did that for a while, the party realised and sold all the junk, and crafted +4 keen holy weapons.

That kind of screwed up my careful planning

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 16, 2004, 15:03   #68
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

don't throw out lots of stuff

just the normal items that you owuld give

just instead of giving gold and the like give out random potions and scrolls

JM
Old March 16, 2004, 22:27   #69
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
I did that for a while, the party realised and sold all the junk, and crafted +4 keen holy weapons.
What Jon said. Nothing expensive or rare. Also, you can make scrolls and potions cheap in your world, but weapons expensive. You're the DM, it's up to you.
Old March 17, 2004, 04:04   #70
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

You've never DMed a group of whingers ("but if we're fighting trolls why didn't you give us a scroll of fire arrows?" "Only 2 items worth taking in that whole dungeon?")

-Jam
Old March 17, 2004, 07:12   #71
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 19:59
Surely they're in there for the experience. If they wanted to be stupidly rich then what the heck are they doing out fighting monsters? They should be trading in futures!

Btw, I'm a great fan of overly-powerful items either having a limited lifespan (like wands), being stolen at night or even just breaking. Even the finest weapons can break if you're unlucky, and especially if the GM ensures that you get unlucky. Just make sure that they're fighting something decent at the time, because no human bone will shatter a +2 axe, but a golem may well. Curses work too, and if they want their super-charged equipment back after a run-in (and swift fly-off) with a malignant witch, then they'll just have to go on yet another adventure to get the curse reversed.
Old March 17, 2004, 12:27   #72
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

eh

all you need for trolls is some good oil and a method to start fires quickly

Jon Miller
Old March 17, 2004, 12:52   #73
Urban Ranger
Deity

Jamski,

I think you had pampered them too much

DoY,

Rust monsters
Old April 3, 2004, 16:05   #74
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

we quick playing for a couple weeks

need to decide now, I think

JOn Miller
Old April 3, 2004, 16:18   #75
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

so tastie metammagic+item creation is

empower
maximise
widen (already have)
quicken
chain spell
twin spell or repeat spell
skill focus: spell craft
craft wand
improved familiar (but I don't think I want to do without for a year and a day)

I have 8 more feats to pick if I don't go the bladesinger route, 9 more if I do but I also have to get

expertise, dodge, weapon focus long sword, still spell

Jon Miller
Old April 3, 2004, 16:33   #76
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I guess craft rod or staff or wonderous item would also be possible good feats, as would still spell or silent spell

JOn Miller
Old April 3, 2004, 18:00   #77
Jamski
Deity

Craft wonderous item, them make yourself a ring of Intellegence +6 for lots of extra spells and the +3 to the DC of your spells too

Now that ALONE is worth taking the feat for, as what GM gives out rings of INT +6 ???

-Jam
Old April 3, 2004, 18:19   #78
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm

decent idea

than I can make sure I am suited out well, BTW, where are the rules for characters younger than adult?

Jon Miller
Old April 3, 2004, 18:39   #79
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm, there is also forge ring

JOn Miller
Old April 3, 2004, 18:47   #80
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm

crrent list of wizardly feats

empower
maximise
quicken
chain spell
twin spell or repeat spell
skill focus: spellcraft
skill focus: knowledge (arcana)
craft wonderous item
forge ring

there is 9 here, not 8 and I am not sure which one to drop (actually I might have 9 instead of 8, hmm.....)

rods are less useful because of being an Incantrix, staffs are very expensive (but good), wands are equivlent (almost) to scrolls and are not as useful at higher levels

JOn Miller
Old April 5, 2004, 00:03   #81
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

does anyone know?

what the effects of youth are...

if the bonuses from masterworked and magical stack?

Jpon miller
Old April 5, 2004, 00:55   #82
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:59
All magical weapons are masterwork, at least by default. The bonus does not stack; a +1 (masterwork) sword only gets +1 to hit and damage. I supose they do stack in some sense, but it's already taken into account; in the rare weird case where somebody has enchanted a non-masterwork weapon, I could see giving it one less a bonus to attack than normal (so a +1 standard sword would only give +1 to damage).

For characters younger than adult, there technically are none in D&D 3. Since human adulthood is 15 years old in the D&D world, you really have to wonder what you're doing playing such a character in a high-level campaign. The only class that would remotely make sense for a 12 year old to have 9 levels in would be Sorcerer, since that's inborn talent; anything else that requires some dedication and practice would be bizarre, to say the least.

However, the Star Wars RPG did offer rules for young un's (having to deal with Anakin Skywalker in EPisode I and all). Basically, they're the reverse of the normal aging process. Normally, for instance, you get -1 Physical stats, +1 Mental stats at Middle Age; an additional -2 Physicals, +1 Mentals at Old; and a -3P/+1M at Venerable. Just reverse that for younger, and make it all negative. So Young would be -1 Physicals, -1 Mentals; Child would be an additional -1 Physicals and -2 Mentals; Babies get a last -1 Physicals and -3 Mentals.

In other words, an 8 year old would have -2 Physicals, -3 Mentals; a 12 year old would "only" have -1 Physicals, -1 Mentals. Both would need a wonderful explanation for being 9th level.

Last edited by SnowFire; April 5, 2004 at 01:10.
Old April 5, 2004, 01:39   #83
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I thought I saw youth rules somewhere

the thing is that I am a 'young' elf.... (but I think that the GM thinks that 110 age for adulthood sort of rediculous)

so you pay a whole bunch of extra money and don't get that big of bonus for going from masterworked (+1 bonus) to +1 magical (also +1 bonused, but costs a lot more)

just to make certain of something, you can't have a head band of intelligence +2 and than a ring of intelligence +4 (and total ability modifier of +6), right?

I seemed to remember the rule in 3, but can't find it in 3.5

Jon Miller
Old April 5, 2004, 01:44   #84
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

wait, so what is the difference between a masterworked bow and a +1 bow???

JOn Miller
Old April 5, 2004, 04:53   #85
Jamski
Deity

A Masterwork bow gives +1 to hit.

A +1 bow gives +1 to hit too.

In the case of bows, there's no advantage.

If it was a +1 SWORD then it would be +1 to hit and +1 to damage, and the attacks would count as magical for the sake of damage reduction (i.e. you can now hurt vampires, dragons etc...)

In 3.5 you CAN have both items, I think. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember they took it out, so you can add the bonuses from items...

You'd better ask your GM, eh?

-Jam
Old April 5, 2004, 10:53   #86
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I will, and he will ask me what the book says (generally)

mostly he just changes what the books says if it doesn't make sense (or isn't how he imagines them in the case of monsters)

so our goblins are dumb, our trolls have fewer hitpoints and aren't giants, we all have weapon finess and eschew materials, ...

Jon Miller
Old April 6, 2004, 02:50   #87
Felch
Emperor

I thought a +1 bow rendered any arrow shot from it a +1 magical weapon for the purposes of damage reduction. However the bonuses would not stack so that +1 bow and +1 arrow could not penetrate +2 damage reduction.
Old April 6, 2004, 03:02   #88
Jamski
Deity

I thought the opposite, that +1 bows conferred no magical bonus on the arrows, and also I'm sure no magic bonus to damage, both of which are confered by the magical arrows.

-Jam
Old April 6, 2004, 06:27   #89
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 19:59
What's the point of a +1 bow then?
Old April 6, 2004, 10:02   #90
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
I thought the opposite, that +1 bows conferred no magical bonus on the arrows, and also I'm sure no magic bonus to damage, both of which are confered by the magical arrows.

-Jam
this is correct I also beleived

but there is no longer +1 damage reduction and +2 damage reduction....

just Magic, Cold Iron, Epic, Adamantine, Good, Evil, Fire, Cold, .....

Jon Miller