Old March 11, 2004, 09:04   #1
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 15:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Towards Gaming in the Classroom
Quote:
On February 20th of this year, an article by the Education reporter for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel was published on the publication`s website. Some academics say video games might provide lessons for teachers on how to captivate students and make learning interesting, Amy Hetzner writes. One of the games studied for the piece was Civilization III. Kurt Squire, an assistant professor in the School of Education at University of Wisconsin-Madison, is the one who specifically took this title on. What he found in doing so, according to Hetzner, is that [s]tudents learned how resources affected civilizations in the past, why colonizations occurred and that they had to do research to succeed in the game.

This is a thread for comments about the most recent Civ3 News Item, "Towards Gaming in the Classroom".

I wonder what the kids reaction was when they learned that a spearman could defeat a tank...
Old March 11, 2004, 09:14   #2
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 05:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
never had a spearmen beat a tank yet !!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 11, 2004, 09:41   #3
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

A spearman can't beat a tank. You must be imagining things
Old March 11, 2004, 10:11   #4
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 20:04
Maybe discussion of these things in the classroom will see an eventual end to people claiming that highly developed nations have never fought poorly developed ones, or talking about that mysterious historical character "Napolean", the strange political doctrine of "facism", or believing that every country has a "capitol"...
Old March 11, 2004, 10:52   #5
LzPrst
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 Monty PythonCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 21:04
I learned lots from computer games. old classics like caesar2 has tons of historical info on every building, god, soldiers and lots of other stuff about the roman empire. also IIRC conquest of the new world had little bits of historical info etc fed to you every turn. And all civ games have extensive encyclopedia functions on units, wonders, improvements etc. Civ 3 is probably the most extensive. I nearly cried when I read how the Mausoleum of Mausollos was destroyed. It displays human nature so simply and nakedly that it can make you nautios...
Old March 11, 2004, 10:54   #6
LzPrst
King

And just for the record this is my 300th post! And monday was my 3rd year anniversary here at Apolyton, YEAY!!!
Old March 11, 2004, 12:12   #7
Mad Bomber
King

Personally,I think the idea a good one. It can be used to expain realpolitik, and can help to put historical events into the 'big picture' view of our world. The one thing that a teacher would have a hard time trying to explain is how a nuclear war could increase global warming

LzPrst:

Congrats on 300, only 700 more and you are a King. At your current rate that would be in 2111. Better get that whip out!

But for now,

* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old March 11, 2004, 12:49   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I was wonder how long before this was mentioned and would it soon lead to happy dances.
Old March 11, 2004, 21:02   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think this (education, not LzPrst's 300th post (congrats, though)) is awesome. I've been advocating it for quite some time. If it isn't a standard methodology in history / politics / social studies education by the time I have kids, I'll be doing it myself.

Of course, that may make my child, the future Podos POTUS, a bit prone to warmongering as a general solution, but what the heck.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 11, 2004, 21:49   #10
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Of course, that may make my child, the future Podos POTUS, a bit prone to warmongering as a general solution, but what the heck.
Hey, it worked for George H. W. Bush (not a complaint, mind you).

I was recently telling my boss, who has a son about 6 or 7 years old, about CivIII and digressed into how it might be used to spark a kid's interest in history. Heck, it did it for me. I suppose at a certain age, it'd be easy to play the game without realizing it has any historical base, but it only takes a small seed of awareness for the spark to catch.

Of course, you'd have to beware a child turning in a history paper that started off "Crusaders are slow-movers with 5/3/1 A/D/M, and are the only combat unit that can build forts. They are produced by the Knights Templar great wonder, which becomes available with Chivalry."
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old March 11, 2004, 21:53   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Yeah, but that kid would be summa *** laude at AU!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 11, 2004, 23:37   #12
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 04:04
Quote:
Yeah, but that kid would be summa *** laude at AU!
haha... you said "***"

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old March 12, 2004, 01:19   #13
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

LMAO! Apparently the filter has an issue with certain Latin words.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old March 12, 2004, 03:47   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Yes it is not smart enough to see some terms as harmless, such as co*ked hat. I used c-o-c-k hammer and got it blanked.

Just a bit too broad a filter.
Old March 12, 2004, 05:06   #15
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

filter jsut not clever enough to work out the context of the word .
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 12, 2004, 08:02   #16
Plotinus
Prince

Always the way with American sites... I once got locked out of a chatroom for talking about mosquitos sucking blood, and I saw someone else chucked for saying they came from Cumbria... discussion of Balaam's Ass also appeared to be impossible. Americans are so prudish!
Old March 12, 2004, 12:45   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Last I knew this was not an American site.
Old March 12, 2004, 14:52   #18
Plotinus
Prince

Really? Well, I do apologise. What a slur!
Old March 12, 2004, 22:36   #19
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 04:04
At least we can say dick now, as in Cheney. I wonder if he graduated with any honours.....

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old March 13, 2004, 22:59   #20
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 19:04
I think civ could teach kids history, for example how early civilisation knew little about the geography of the planet, and had to explore to discover resources and places to expand.

Civ is not very realistic compared to reality, but it can teach things like teamwork or even blackmail with your nearby civilisations.. with allying for wars . The mutual protection pacts can be quite realistic , similar pacts started world war 1 and 2 .
I hope its not used to teach warmongering, people who think wars are the only way to solve things really are quite stupid. Its good civ shows you get a bad reputation if you use evil methods or break treaties. Its a shame the resource system isn't very well developed in civ, with proper quantitative resource stocks and markets, but the Economic warfare aspects are very informative (cutting off resource roads or using Embargoes) .
Old March 15, 2004, 03:04   #21
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

I don't see how Civ could teach anything to anyone older than 12-13. Unless they truly are idiots.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old March 15, 2004, 12:19   #22
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:04
no shortage of those out there.

The question though, do strategy games create future warmongers?
Old March 15, 2004, 13:00   #23
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris
I don't see how Civ could teach anything to anyone older than 12-13. Unless they truly are idiots.
It would definitely teach liberals a thing or two about "real politik."

I've had a Civ3 club for my middle school students for a couple years now. It is a lot of fun to see them come to certain decisions when playing a game. More often than not, their game-play is in direct line w/ their personalities. But, I do feel they get a great deal out of resource management, etc.
Old March 15, 2004, 14:39   #24
swat-spas2
Chieftain

Idiocy is generally simply the disinterested nature of a person to know of a particular subject, often through a lack of balanced exposure to it. The average person is not so exposed to even the minute wealth of historical data packed into the civilopedias of civ games. Nor are they so inclined to be interested in the occurences of other culture's rich past history (or even their own more accurate one). I consistently amaze people with what I would consider basic trivial information. Thus they would not be idiots necessarily and still not know at the age of 12-13. More advanced subjects such as strategies which relate to real-world political and strategic interactions are much harder to grasp, ie many people are easily dissuaded by simple mass media marketing of propaganda. As such those 'idiots' would subsequently be less so by exposure to a historical PC title like this. (Even RON has a good deal of stuff to read up on)
Old March 15, 2004, 15:01   #25
LzPrst
King

read description on all improvements, wonders and units. theres a LOT of info there...
Old March 15, 2004, 15:10   #26
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by swat-spas2
Idiocy is generally simply the disinterested nature of a person to know of a particular subject, often through a lack of balanced exposure to it. The average person is not so exposed to even the minute wealth of historical data packed into the civilopedias of civ games. Nor are they so inclined to be interested in the occurences of other culture's rich past history (or even their own more accurate one). I consistently amaze people with what I would consider basic trivial information. Thus they would not be idiots necessarily and still not know at the age of 12-13. More advanced subjects such as strategies which relate to real-world political and strategic interactions are much harder to grasp, ie many people are easily dissuaded by simple mass media marketing of propaganda. As such those 'idiots' would subsequently be less so by exposure to a historical PC title like this. (Even RON has a good deal of stuff to read up on)
Well said.
Old March 17, 2004, 13:25   #27
Son of David
Prince

SimCity has already beaten Civ to the post many years ago.

http://www.fi.edu/fellows/fellow3/ap...00/lessons.htm
Old March 17, 2004, 19:49   #28
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 11:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris
Game theory.

Even if you don't like the game, there's a lot to learn from it.

I think it would be interesting to point out where the game deviates from history, and why, both in terms of historical accuracy and in game playing.

People are very creative about spearman beating tanks here. A classroom could be too.

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "
Old March 18, 2004, 00:14   #29
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Quote:

Theseus, just don't let your kids read your sig.....EVER!
Old March 18, 2004, 01:38   #30
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller

Theseus, just don't let your kids read your sig.....EVER!
Oh, come on, every kid should see the wisdom in making Marine+Berserk Armies amphibious!
- Doug Stanhope