Old March 11, 2004, 11:53   #1
adi321
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Crusader Kings goes gold
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/news.asp...=154&Page=News

Another paradox game on its way to the masses.
adi321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2004, 22:38   #2
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 14:04
Looks like it will be simpler than Victoria too, which should please quite a few people....of course, it probably will still need a couple patches, but that's life...
Old March 12, 2004, 12:20   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Maybe not simpler but certainly less micromanaging. I really don't think Vicky was complex once you got under its skin, just not elegant.

Paradox gets my money again since this time its going straight to them not the publisher. If they make an arse of the patching again I'll hold good to my previous threat
Old March 12, 2004, 13:06   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
The thing about Victoria is that it has a large focus on economics. Which is apropriate considering the time-line.

Obviously, crusader kings won't have as detailed an economy, but I'm sure it will have other features that give it complexity.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2004, 19:52   #5
pg
Prince

i'm much more interested in this than victoria but i'm not going to jump in and buy it before reading paradox's forums. i'm also thinking of buying it direct but i wonder if the shipping is decent to the usa. i just hope they manage to keep it elegant as grumbold said.
Old March 18, 2004, 00:45   #6
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Just preordered it.

If you order it from Paradox, much more of your money goes to them instead of to the publisher.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Ramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2004, 06:21   #7
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 21:04
Since I can't be here for the time being(ISP...*raises fist*), I have been much over at Paradox' forums(as some of you might have seen), and I can promise you that this seems to be a game that can develop into what EU2 has become!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2004, 13:57   #8
adi321
Chieftain

well I like it.
Old April 7, 2004, 18:00   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

So, does anyone have it yet? There are people at the Paradox Forums who've gotten it.

My copy is... 'on it's way'.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 8, 2004, 00:54   #10
adi321
Chieftain

well there are only one or two at the paradox forums who has got a legit copy.
Old April 16, 2004, 11:17   #11
adi321
Chieftain

Now it is out for real.

Just got my preordered copy.
Old April 16, 2004, 13:40   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I've been playing it, too. Great game.

I wouldn't recomend trying it without the .01 patch, though.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 16, 2004, 14:54   #13
Sandman
King

It sounds fantastic.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2004, 15:16   #14
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

It's the one game that is on my must-buy list...(though I may wait for a price drop)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2004, 06:52   #15
pg
Prince

love to hear some of your guys reviews...
Old April 18, 2004, 22:14   #16
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

It's a great game. The inter-kingdom politics and successions are what really make it shine, i think. For instance, in my current game as the Count of Padua I have my eyes set on the neighbouring county of Mantua, but I share a leige with it's count so taking it by force is too risky. So what I did was arrange for my eldest son to marry his eldest daughter, and then assassinated his two sons. This leaves the succesion to be traced through his eldest daughter to my grandson. So I only have to wait for the Count of Mantua to croak (Or I might speed it along... . ) and my dynasty will then be in control of it, and it'll only be a matter of a couple generations for the counties to be united under my grandson. (And maybe I'll have my grandson assassinate his father to speed that process up, too. )

That said, there's still quite a bit to be ironed out, in usual paradox fashion. I'm looking forward to 1.02... and 1.03

Do It Ourselves
Old April 19, 2004, 03:07   #17
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 21:04
I got the game three days ago. It's a GREAT game, I promise! Some bugs here and there, but much less than with some of the other titles they sell.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2004, 06:51   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

Still waiting for my copy. Any day now
Old April 19, 2004, 12:36   #19
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 15:04
Specs?
Old April 19, 2004, 13:08   #20
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
Specs?
I don't know, but it's higher then the other paradox games. There are some complaints about it running sluggish on some systems, mainly due to the number of people and dynasties in the game, I think.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 19, 2004, 13:16   #21
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by General Ludd

I don't know, but it's higher then the other paradox games. There are some complaints about it running sluggish on some systems, mainly due to the number of people and dynasties in the game, I think.
Currently budget PC's running at $400 to $500 US are coming with 2.6 ghz or higher processors (usually Celeron) and with 256MB RAM. More than enough for Vicky, IIUC, but would CK stretch such a machine? (Of course i could simply add memory when i get through with the less demanding games)
Old April 19, 2004, 13:30   #22
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

2.6 ghz is more then enough for pretty much any game, really. It should run crusader kings no problem.

Mor ram wouldn't hurt, though. But I don't think that's really a problem with games like crusader kings.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 19, 2004, 14:31   #23
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Just started a game as Robert, Duke of Normandy. Quite possibly the most butt-ugly person in the game, incidentally.

First thing I did was "purchase" (it costs prestige) a claim for a pissant neighboring county, and sent him a declaration of War. Little did I know that he was the vassal of the Phillipe Capet, so he declared war on me (though, luckily, he didn't get his vassals to mobilize to fight me). On the other hand, my dear old dad and liege, William the Bastard backed me up on the war with the full might of the his lands (his demesne is quite a bit greater than the demesne of Capet so I had a major advantage). While the English and French King fought it out, I seized the opportunity by starting to seige the lands of my enemies. Conquering that county, I also took control all three of the land holdings of the French, with England taking the fourth. Further, I used up all my prestige claiming these provinces. So I ended up with four more territories, including Paris! And, as far as I could tell, there was no longer any French king.

Because, there's a severe penalty if your demesne gets too big (for a Duke, the optimal number of territories is three), I gave a couple of them to members of my court as vassals, also creating a bisphoric giving me lots of piety. In addition, I married a girl that has crappy dynastic connections, but with nice attributes (no, not that kind ) because I had no idea exactly how the marriage system works (and I still don't truly understand).

Robert's wife, made the spymaster of the duchy, started spitting out kids, a bunch of girls, and then the fourth was a boy. Seeing as how I had 16-odd years to sit around before I could start marrying my kids off, I noticed that the pope called a crusade somewhere in Eastern Europe. I had no port (or so I thought), so I figured that I needed to take over one to ship over my troops. So I conquered Brugges (same way as always - manufacturing a claim then declaring war).

I then declared war on some Baltic heathens. But even with Brugges, I still couldn't build ships or anything. And England was taking all the glory and more importantly land (as liege they automatically go to war with me). So instead, I took advantage of the power vacuum (a bunch of provinces in central-Northern France without a liege since the King of France was gone) and took over some counties, giving away the poorest to vassals. Including one county to my young son, Roger.

I was still hemmoraging piety since the Cruade was going on, so I tried another shot at mitigating that by invading the infidels in Iberia (I figured that since I couldn't ship my troops over, I could march them). So I found a choice little principality and declared war. And clicked on the territories the game automatically ships them to the desired territories for a price, presumably getting Venetians or Genovans or whomever to do it (stupid me ).

It was a suprisingly easy conquest, mostly because I didn't have to claim any provinces or negotiate to get them. I also got to claim the title of the Duke of Zaragoza. So I took a shot at a smaller state in Iberia and had my ass handed to me - my army being decimated. So I immediately gave away two of the provinces in Spain to vassals, beat the Muslims off at home in France, and bought a white peace.

My girls were coming of age, so I started my choice for choice suitors. The first couple weren't all that interesting choices (married 'em off to heirs of some miscellaneous counties), but I pulled off a great match with my third. I looked at the Emperor of Byzantium, and found that his heir was Prince of Dorostotum, and that his heir and son was unmarried! So I immedately married off my girl to him and he accepted. Thus hopefully, a grandson of mine would eventually become the Byzantine Emperor! I also noticed that the heir to the heir of the King of Scotland was about the same age as one of my daughters, so he'd be a good choice in the future (no marraiges before 16).

Before that coup, I looked a lot closer into inheritances and the like. And I noticed that my character, Robert, was first son and heir to the King of England! So I looked very forward to dad's death.

Meanwhile, I went after more territories. First, after two other counties in the Duchy of Orleans so that I could claim the title. Then after some heathens in Northern Germany, with me and Will splitting it, and I claiming the Duke of Mecklemburg. Finally, I figured I should make a real effort at taking the Crown of France (I need 60% of the counties as demesne or vassal to claim to the title and I had only about 20%) so attacked the Archbishop of Anjou (I think) and got him to relenquish his title and make me Duke of Anjou (in retrospect, that's what I ought to have done with France, but I had no idea how to do that).

Meanwhile, the heir to the heir of Scotland was coming of age, so I hitched him to my daughter. My son also came of age, I also realized that I made a major mistake in that I gave him a county before marrying him off, so he was no longer in my court and he made his own really crappy choice. A couple years later, it turned out not to be a crappy choice in that my daughter whose son would be heir to Byzantium had a boy. And the game mechanics made him my heir. So when the Emperor dies and the King of England dies, presumably the entire realm of Byzantium and England would be unified to my far smaller collection of territories, making me easily the most powerful dynasty in the game. So I spent several years of peace trying to develop my lands (mismanaging them, really).

I checked up on Scotland, to see what was going on, and noticed that he was younger than his heir, the grandfather of the grandfather of one of my sons. So that if he outlives his heir, my grandson would lose the throne. So I immediately decided to assassinate him. The first attempt failed and was discovered and the second attempt was successful and was also discovered. So my piety went from 400 to 200, but one of grandsons will still inherit the kingdom.

Also, I checked up on Byzantium, to find that it has imploded! The Emperor has lost his lands and vassals, and Muslims own Constantinople! So I decided to retake at least part of my grandson and heir's heritige, Constantinople itself. I invaded the state that owned the city. I eventually took it, but I had to call all my vassals' troops to fight off their fairly large invasions. The Count of Eu and the Duke of Champagne also attacked my vassals, so I had to fight them off as well. I even had to renew my pledge of allegience to the King of England so he would send his men to help defend me (it ended after I became Duke of Anjou, now my primary title) I was eventually left with no men, but I had Constantinople and peace (and a hefty sum of money).

And that bastard, William still won't die (he's at 72 at the moment).

In sum, a bloody awesome game.

lotm: It'll run fine as long as you have lots and lots of ram (I have 768 MB and it still is a tad slow).
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old April 19, 2004, 14:53   #24
adi321
Chieftain

you can't build ships in CK.

Troops transport are done by buying passage on boats.

Try marching you troops to england fx.

EDIT: had I tbothered to read further won into your post before replying I would have known you already discovered that.....
Old April 19, 2004, 14:54   #25
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I know. Read further.
-Bokonon
Old April 19, 2004, 16:12   #26
mactbone
Prince

Reading in the forums -
The game uses RAM to follow all the people. To lessen the load you can restart and the load will drop down to original levels (presumaby because all of the people will be written into a file at once).
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
mactbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2004, 08:45   #27
Grumbold
Emperor

Yes it seems it tracks all the interrelationships but doesn't drop any of them when deaths / marriages / conquests make some irrelevant. Reloading allows it to forget all the outdated stuff.
Old April 22, 2004, 17:22   #28
duuk
Settler

That's one of the things they are working on for 1.02.

This game is hella fun so far, and the bugs this time around are fairly minor. (Still a few CTDs, but this time you can usually spot them before you do them and they'll be gone shortly).

Overall, a stable, fun game with huge potential.

Old April 23, 2004, 09:55   #29
Grumbold
Emperor

Same here. A little bugginess but lots of fun.
Old May 6, 2004, 04:03   #30
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Update on the Norman game: my grandson who was my heir wasn't in my dynasty, so I lost after my character died.
-Bokonon