Old March 11, 2004, 12:24   #1
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 15:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Pods - are they truly random?
I've never done a statisitical study, but it seems to be not uncommon, to a degree higher than randomness would indicate, that pods have a distinct tendency to "double up," as in getting the same result twice in a row. This especially occurs with resource squares, energy credits, monoliths, and alien lifeforms (though I just got it for the first time with techs, go figure). It may just be that I notice and remember when I get the same result twice in a row, but I'm not so sure. I've gotten to the point that I save and exit a game after any pod which yields alien lifeforms (when I'm popping another pod), and then pop the next pod after restarting the game, and I would swear I get fewer sequential alien lifeform pods. Anybody notice anything similar?
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 12, 2004, 00:48   #2
SynthetGod8
Warlord

Local Time: 19:04
Well, far as I know, one is more likely to pop alien lifeforms the farther one gets from the city squares and from national borders. One would think this is because of human interferance with the ecosystem, but that is here nor there. As for doubling up, it certainly isn't impossible and I've never experienced any patterns in any of my games, except for when I keep getting mindworms far outside my borders, but I knew that it was more likely anyway.
Old March 12, 2004, 02:23   #3
quantum_mechani
Alpha Centauri Democracy GamePtWDG Legoland
Prince

Local Time: 10:04
I heard that alien artifacts are more likely in fungus squares.
Old March 12, 2004, 04:59   #4
Mr. Harley
Prince

Both of those are the case, a pod adjacent to a base will never produce an alien lifeform, and a pod within the production radius will never produce more than one square of alien lifeforms (which can be up to three with an IOD). You have a better chance of getting alien artifacts in both fungal squares and at sea since resource squares can no longer be obtained, and they are one of the two most likely results is my memory serves me properly, with alien lifeforms being the other. Eliminating the chance of getting resource squares redistributes the probability among the remaining results.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old March 18, 2004, 09:50   #5
Sikander
King

Local Time: 12:04
You can eliminate the complete production outcome by setting your nearest base to produce an SP.
Old March 18, 2004, 15:33   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

How on earth??? Ok, I'm going to maximise my pod-popping in the future... I only ever get the ""complete production" if the base is making crappy stuff though... is there some kind of limit to the number of rows this will fill?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 18, 2004, 16:43   #7
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 21:04
I ve never seen pod hurrying a SP.
Old March 18, 2004, 21:03   #8
EternalSpearman
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

I think he meant that if the nearest base is working on a SP, you won't get the hurry production event.
Old March 18, 2004, 21:50   #9
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 05:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
But if you have a ridiculous fission hovertank artillery with string and temporal shielding that costs like 1000+, yeah, the pod material will finish that.
Old March 18, 2004, 21:52   #10
Mr. Harley
Prince

Exactly - a "complete production" pod will complete any number of rows of minerals for a base facility or a unit. I have built some prototyped units at over 1000 minerals just to see. I love it for Hybrid Forests. If the base is population one, it will NOT complete a colony pod.

Jamski, the trick is in single player to time your pod popping. Try to keep the outlying base making an expensive unit - fission drop-empath missle/pulse three armor rovers come to mind (for the early game). When you get to ten minerals, switch to a base facility it needs, and rush build it if you have the resources. Start again. I have built a conquest force in SP just using agressive pod popping. You can also delay your pod popping for interior secure pods in your territory. There is nothing more valuable than a nutrient/mineral/(also energy if close enough to headquarters) square over a long period of time, and popping the pod adjacent to a base with "stockpile energy" eliminates fungal blooms, native lifeforms, and "project completion pods". It almost doubles you chance!

You can also complete some fancy high-cost supply units, and then use them for SP's. It doesn't get you the whole way, but it helps tons, the cheapest rover supply with armor is I believe 100 minerals.
Old March 19, 2004, 08:59   #11
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'm not sure if saving pods for later is worth throwing away the turn advantage of popping them earlier. Imagine if I'd had those 3 AAs in 2120 instead of in 2140... Imagine if I'd been working those bonus minerals 20 turns earlier...

Hmm...

The luck factor really make it hard to get a handle on it. Later pod popping gives better pop results, but with just a bit of luck, and some good early pops, you can power your way ahead.

I'm thinking of the use of getting rovers and foils especially in the early game in MP. They can turn the game around by popping every pod in reach and stacking up masses of ec, AAs and planetpearls...

I'm not sure...

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 10:20   #12
Mr. Harley
Prince

Jam, that's a very good point. That's why I mentioned saving your internal pods until last. The only problem is that you are making the trade off between running free market versus foil pod popping, and that's a tough choice. For the Gaians an exellent strategy is to go for Doctrine Flexibility and Centauri Empathy first, and pop pods/capture native units. Once you capture one, use the IOD to pop the pod, the foil to capture or bombard (impact is where that starts getting effective), and then use your IOD to attack if the new one isn't captured. It can make them a very potent force in the mid to late portions of the early game (pre-Air Power/Fusion),
Old March 19, 2004, 11:37   #13
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
That's why I mentioned saving your internal pods until last.

But those pods just near your first bases, which is what I suppose you mean by internal pods, could be mineral/nut/energy bonuses. These are so important early game because they bypass restrictions. I'm in favour of popping them as soon as possible because just one nut bonus and one mineral bonus makes an early game colony pod factory that allows for terrifying expansion.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 14:01   #14
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 14:04
You can pop the pods whenever you want. If your colony pod is at 14 minerals, switch to an expensive prototype crawler. It asks if you want to lose 2 minerals for the switch. What it doesn't tell you is that if you do that, pop the pod, and it doesn't auto-complete, you can switch back to a colony pod and get your 2 minerals back. Make sure you remember what you were building originally, because that's the only way to get your minerals back.
Old March 20, 2004, 22:24   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Nifty.
Old March 22, 2004, 04:49   #16
Mr. Harley
Prince

What I do is pop the pods near my starter base to get my base grid started. I then determine where I'm going to place my first 16 (or 24) bases, roughly. Any pods that will be adjacent to them I save, I pop all the others. I will delay popping some of the pods if I'm just about to get a tech that will let me build an expensive base facility/prototype, for example a 2-2-2 recon rover. My favorite item, prior to expensive crawlers, is armored/trance sea formers, and the occasional sea colony pod if I have a really good site.
Old March 22, 2004, 17:26   #17
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

I too try to delay popping Unity pods not adjacent to bases until I can take steps to assure that the negative outcomes won't cripple me, as I've had too many early worm pods destroy too many openings. See my thread on Morgan opening for a classic example.

In my experience, with the exception of pods immediately adjacent to a base, pod outcomes are just as likely to have negative as positive outcomes at transcend difficulty.