Old March 11, 2004, 16:53   #31
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 14:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Don't worry, I'm sure even after saying that he won't apologize, he will. He's flipped on everything else.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:53   #32
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

I would get banned for what I have to say to you right now: lest suffice it to say, very nice troll on your part, and a masterful troll on the part of the media and the repugs.

This is the last I will say on this moronic situation, as it drives my blood pressure to high.
Why are you getting so upset over this? It's business as usual. Just laugh at it.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:54   #33
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 19:04
This was a pure troll by DanS. He has stirred up the thread with an emotive although clearly untrue and hypocritical position... and then disappears.

If I weren't a generous spirit, I'd call that behavior gutless.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:54   #34
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Get me some video of Kerry foaming at the mouth or rolling on the ground having a fit or temper tantrum
Like literally foaming at the mouth... like he has rabies? Run the story, OMG!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 11, 2004, 16:54   #35
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Don't worry, I'm sure even after saying that he won't apologize, he will. He's flipped on everything else.
I'd put money on it.
Old March 11, 2004, 16:54   #36
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: John Kerry is out of control, just like Howard Dean
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
After him accusing the GOP of being the "the most crooked... lying group", I expected to hear a recitation of the states in which he was going to campaign and an "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh".
OMG, he's outa control telling the truth! Somebody stop him!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 11, 2004, 16:55   #37
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Why are you getting so upset over this? It's business as usual. Just laugh at it.
It a build-up of all the inane idiocy of the press coming to full boil. Being "in the business" now, I can see how people working for Kerry must be feeling, asking "WTF would anyone care!?".

And then I remember we have 8 months of this crap ahead.....and it is depressing.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 11, 2004, 16:57   #38
MrFun
Emperor

Geez you guys -- this is the same politics that happens every four years. Cry yourself a river, and get over it.
Old March 11, 2004, 17:01   #39
Jac de Molay
Prince

I like the guy. Proves to me he's got a little moxie..a little spunk, if you will
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 11, 2004, 17:07   #40
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

It a build-up of all the inane idiocy of the press coming to full boil. Being "in the business" now, I can see how people working for Kerry must be feeling, asking "WTF would anyone care!?".

And then I remember we have 8 months of this crap ahead.....and it is depressing.
I'm quite looking forward to it.

Greatest Show on Earth.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 11, 2004, 17:07   #41
gunkulator
Prince

Kerry? Out of control? You mean like whipping up a fury to invade a sovereign nation that posed no threat to us, costing us 87 billion dollars, mounting up record deficits and squandering whatever goodwill the US had after 9/11?

Let's have some perspective here, people.
Old March 11, 2004, 17:10   #42
Q Classic
Emperor

:yawn:
Old March 11, 2004, 17:11   #43
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
Kerry? Out of control? You mean like whipping up a fury to invade a sovereign nation that posed no threat to us,
You mean like he wanted to do with Haiti?
Old March 11, 2004, 17:32   #44
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

DinoDoc is smart enough to know where I'm going with this.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 11, 2004, 17:33   #45
DanS
Deity

Quote:
and then disappears
Hey, I had billable work to do for the VVVBEUC. Cut me some slack.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 11, 2004, 17:43   #46
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:

Hey, I had billable work to do for the VVVBEUC. Cut me some slack.
Thats fine... excuse accepted.

I'll just repost my question that you might have missed, in an effort to be helpful...

Quote:
I can't believe you guys are defending this! You're too much!
Yep... the WhiteHouse commented on its distress at this negative attack.

Dan... seriously... do you think that Bush will get from now to election day... relying on positive advertising? If yes, then I've got a bridge to sell to you.

If they will inevitably make negative criticism of Kerry and/or his party infrastructure, exactly how will that be different from this specific incident?
Old March 11, 2004, 17:44   #47
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

GePap: This is news simply for the sheer vitriol of this attack. While negative statements about the other party are commonplace, Calling the enitreother party a bunch of liars and crooks is an extreme low blow.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 11, 2004, 17:48   #48
MrFun
Emperor

But isn't the Republican party tarring the Democratic party as being opposed to greater security for our nation? Basically saying that the Democratic party are anti-American or unpatriotic?
Old March 11, 2004, 17:48   #49
MrFun
Emperor

But isn't the Republican party tarring the Democratic party as being opposed to greater security for our nation? Basically saying that the Democratic party are anti-American or unpatriotic?
Old March 11, 2004, 18:05   #50
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi
GePap: This is news simply for the sheer vitriol of this attack. While negative statements about the other party are commonplace, Calling the enitreother party a bunch of liars and crooks is an extreme low blow.

"Sheer vitrol"

If he had said : Dub is a mother****ing imbecile, a mental midget who should be shot and sight, and let me not get started on Cheney, that dickwad who I would like to club to death"-then this is a story.

As for your "oh my gosh, he is speaking about all republicans" sorry, but the intellectual dishonesty of that is massive-I am sure the union guy he told this to knew exactly which republicans Kerry meant.

This remains a non-issue dressed as an issue by people of little imagination and too much time on their hands to waste.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by GePap; March 11, 2004 at 18:15.
Old March 11, 2004, 19:20   #51
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Not only is this not news, the Dean thing wasn't news, either! News services repented after playing that Dean clip over and over again (over a month after the fact).

The American media, and the political pundits and press in particular, are at the root of all that is wrong with our government.
Old March 11, 2004, 19:24   #52
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You mean like he wanted to do with Haiti?

You left out the part about whipping the public into a frenzy time and time again over issue and spreading untruths about how they pose an imminent threat to us. Pretty big difference between that and proposing a humanitarian mission to a nation in anarchy.
Old March 11, 2004, 19:39   #53
DanS
Deity

The irony was that he said the GOP was the most corrupt group of people in front of a bunch of union leaders.
Old March 11, 2004, 20:03   #54
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Gepap: Laugh smilies, accusations about intellectual dishonesty, and throwing a temper tantrum doesn't make your point any more true.

It isn't what the union guy he was talking too thought he meant. The words of the statement themselves implicated all Republicans. The comment got out on a public discourse and that's why the statement needed to be qualified.

Moreover, just because the comments did not reach the puerile level of your example does not mean that calling your opponents liars and crooks outright is not a very vitriolic charge.

The media reports on what it reports on, I am sure they are quite capable of deciding what statements are newsworthy enough to interest viewers and they don't need your help.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 11, 2004, 20:09   #55
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

In the absence of substance, we can only judge Kerry on style.

So far he hasn't shown much of that either.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 11, 2004, 20:14   #56
DanS
Deity

He has strayed into substance. But over the last couple of weeks (at least) he hasn't displayed any discipline there. He keeps running his mouth, just like Dean did. Because of this, you have such conservative papers like the Washington Post under a lead editorial headline of "Flip-Flop, Hedge and Stradle" say...

Quote:
It's not always clear what, if anything, he's [Kerry] committed to. The senator's supporters say that what sometimes looks like indecision reflects his devotion to thinking through a problem, to weighing every nuance and potential consequence before leaping to a decision... But the hedging and subsequent grandstanding on Haiti raise the same question as do Mr. Kerry's campaign-trail straddles on a wide range of issues (trade, No Child Left Behind, the Patriot Act and more): Where are the bedrock principles that would guide him in office?

Last edited by DanS; March 11, 2004 at 20:21.
Old March 11, 2004, 20:19   #57
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
But over the last couple of weeks (at least) he hasn't displayed any discipline there.
Why did you qualify it as the last couple of weeks and not his entire career?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 11, 2004, 20:21   #58
DanS
Deity

I haven't followed his career nor really the democratic primary. So I don't know if he has shown any discipline then.
Old March 11, 2004, 20:25   #59
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Fair enough. Repubs point to the entirety of his political career as a pattern of flip flop.

I don't know if this is a fair characterization or not. But it does jive with the tar he was painted with from his fellow Dem running mates (read especially Dean and Clark).

Old March 11, 2004, 20:53   #60
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

You guys probably know how I feel about what Kerry said.

In the end, it just means more fence sitters swing to Bush so let him talk.