Old March 17, 2004, 16:04   #121
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You know, Jesse comment just shows that they did tried to fix sub bug, but it showed to be a little bit complicated.

It would take too much time to be put in this patch.
If they focused more on fixing this, I bet we won't see a patch till April or later.

But, since there will be a patch after 1.20 we know they'll try to fix that bug later.

I just don't understand all that bashing.
They did tied to fix sub-bug.
Really, that tried.
But, it was too much time consuming to be fixed with this patch.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 16:40   #122
JimMac
Prince

Local Time: 20:05
Quote:
Originally posted by player1
You know, Jesse comment just shows that they did tried to fix sub bug, but it showed to be a little bit complicated....

But, since there will be a patch after 1.20 we know they'll try to fix that bug later.

I just don't understand all that bashing.
I generally agree, but I think Jesse could changing the 'bashing tone' of this thread if he was clearer about what is going to happen after 1.20.

IIRC the plan was for monthly beta patches leading to a final patch in June. Jesse was quite enthusiastic about new aspects such as the worker gangs and the proposed new combat system. Then we hear about some major changes in Atari (was it the Q.A. function? I can't remember), Jesse goes quiet and it seems the whole deal is off!

If Jesse was to post something like:

'Listen guys, this 1.20 patch IS simply the official version of the 1.15b, plus a few additions. I promise that I will be getting right on to fixing the sub bug and all the other issues that Alexman and Doc have listed, and I promise that they willl be fixed in forthcoming patches. Thanks for all the feedback" etc

Then I for one would br ready to place my order for CivIV.

But Jesse's actual comments:

"the next steps can be taken.... We need to be focused on Civ IV...there's little to be done about it besides apologizing. I'm not saying a new patch isn't coming, but we are at a crucial point in CIV and need to stay focused.

sounds to me like "we're working on CivIV but if I get a chance I will see what I can do for you all"
JimMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 17:11   #123
Jarred
Settler

Local Time: 19:05
It is April almost, so we won't see this patch until April anyway.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 17:16   #124
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
Quote:
... if he was clearer about what is going to happen after 1.20.
He probably didn't clarify it because he is not sure that it will happen, though he has intentions, hopes and plans.
It is possible that he knows it will not.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 17:52   #125
planetfall
Prince

Unless I miss read, I am disappointed the turns-to-research prompt under SGA is not fixed.

I have learned to adjust, but it is annoying.

PF
planetfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 18:18   #126
Antrine
Prince

I think this thread is beginning wax dribble with sprinkles of babbles midst meloncholly whinning... ...unfortunately for credible reasons...

So therefor I would repost here an adroit quote:

to wit...
Quote:
by Antrine... 'I think after this, a lot us here should check ourselves in at the 'positive thinking' clinic for needed therapy'.
Therapy classes are on a first come first bash basis.

Oh that darn 'writing on the wall'

On another note, I've been a wandering lately, anyone like EUII with patch 1.07? I found it for eleven bucks, thinking about trying it out.
Antrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 18:24   #127
ErikM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:05
1.05 is better for starters.
If you do 1.07, download the betas from the Paradox site. 1.07 is rather annoying without beta patches due to endless revolts.
Old March 17, 2004, 18:27   #128
Antrine
Prince

Many thanks ErikM! Inside info is always good place to start.
I'll send you elsewhere
Old March 17, 2004, 18:42   #129
planetfall
Prince

sub bug is nothing. Just remove invisible from subs.

Now AI not building armies, that is significant.

PF
Old March 17, 2004, 18:49   #130
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 15:05
No problem, just remove "Army" property from Armies.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 18:57   #131
Antrine
Prince

Quote:
by planetfall... Now AI not building armies, that is significant.
Gee, just refer to my thread AI army really!! http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=109636

This will secure you a working knowledge ( work-a-around ) of how to see, engage and otherwise 'experience' an AI Army in the field, filled with useful units.

perhaps Firaxis should bring me on as a consultant!

Tell me truly what would rather have? A long table of work-a-rounds like unto this or an official credible patch? Hey, you decide, the list is getting longer...

P.S. Alexman I move aside to work behind this obvious genius.
Old March 17, 2004, 19:10   #132
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by player1

Well, it's made to be 2 techs to give Frigates some chance in the game. And not to be never to be used unit by players.

I'm satisifed by that.
I find it absurd that I can build Modern ships without the Ironclad tech. I don't mind that Ironclads need an additional tech, so long as Ironclads are required to build Destroyers, Cruisers, Subs, and Battleships (perhaps require an additional tech after Ironclads in addition to combustion to build these?)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2004, 19:55   #133
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

I believe Jesse posted somewhere that Civ4 was written with a new engine specifically to help deal with the issues mentioned here?
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 09:32   #134
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The big deal here is the detatchment of Mot Trans from the Electronics branch and the removal of Radio. This will help break the auto ToE-Hoover 2-step as the best tech strat for the industrial era. Before you could only get bombers from the mid-branch alone, but now you get Tanks too. ToE techs can now be used for a miltary beeline.
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 10:50   #135
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Has paradox ever released a game even as complete as C3C? Every game of theirs I've played required at least 6 months or patching before some manual features worked at all.
As an aside, C3C is the third incarnation of the civ3 engine and the upgrades are not substanially different than the initial release (with the exception of the addition of MP). Most of the upgrades (for instance, a more complete editor springs to mind) should have been part of the initial release.

Basically, Firaxis has charged customers for 2 patches - and it has taken 2 years to make civ3 playable - as opposed to the 6 months for EU2.

And Paradox upgrades EU2 without charging the customer...

I'll take Paradox's committment level to their games over Firaxis's committment level any day.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 12:48   #136
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well commitment is good, but look at Galciv and Starships Unlimited. You can't beat them for working on the game, but it does not make me want to play them all that much.

I appreciate what they have done and I am glad I bought the games, but I play Civ instead.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2004, 13:40   #137
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Antrine
Gee, just refer to my thread AI army really!! http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=109636

This will secure you a working knowledge ( work-a-around ) of how to see, engage and otherwise 'experience' an AI Army in the field, filled with useful units.
Come on, Antrine.
You modded the palace to spit out Armies like SoZ spits out Ancient Cav. No reason to continue being misleading about it, especially with so many folks wanting a "real" fix for this.
Besides, what if Jesse just scans the posts/subject lines. Sees yours about an AI army in the field and thinks "Oh, well, good. We can cross that off," without actually reading how you did it? It's not that likely, but if enough folks don't actually read your post and just take your word for it and stop complaining about it, is it possible it slips further down the priority list for Jesse?
Quote:
Tell me truly what would rather have? A long table of work-a-rounds like unto this or an official credible patch? Hey, you decide, the list is getting longer...
Speaking of "credible"...

Hehehe. Just pokin' fun a bit, Antrine. A bit of "pot, kettle, black" in there made me giggle a bit.
Old March 18, 2004, 14:42   #138
Antrine
Prince

'misleading' ?
I surely hope not! sarcastic yes!

Pokin fun in a now depressing scenario. I confess.

Leading the unwary along, who do not read?

Gosh darn ducki I SURE hope I have not so easily misled Firaxis and on account my antics 'they' bypass fixing the Army delimma.

Perhaps I include more 'disclosures' in my posts?

However, today I think I will let 'others' spell it out. Thanks

I have only presented myself one way ( a modder who worships the great big editor in the sky ). Anyway many blessings and let us collectively have mercy on the future of our game.

P.S. the creation forum is nearly dead however, I hope to move back to the graveyard soon.
I'll send you elsewhere
Old March 19, 2004, 00:14   #139
Jarred
Settler

Since Great Leaders don't build improvements anymore, why not for the AI make Amries instead of great leaders?
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 02:52   #140
Antrine
Prince

Great idea! Jarred. However...

This and many 'other' great ideas require so-called hard-coding for to be implemented. That means we continue petitioning the gods up at Firaxis for these favors.

Again, though we have been ( ...and I say apparently ) left naked on the 'windy' side of the temple, like old lovers. As new loves are pursued. ( CIV 4 )
I'll send you elsewhere
Old March 19, 2004, 03:16   #141
Rellin
Chieftain

Quote:
With such sweeping personnel change at Firaxis, is it reasonable to expect that Civ4 will be a cheap knockoff of Civ3, much in the same way that Call to Power tried to imitate Civ2 but failed miserably?
Scary thought, but sadly enough probably going to be correct.
Rellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 07:23   #142
AK47
Chieftain

I already brought this up at CFC, but 1.20 patch doesn't seem to be taking care of it (the description I read of it), so:

Hidden Nationality land units bug. Although a HUMAN player can not attack and capture cities with them (unless declaring war), the AI can, and greatly abuses this. For me it's no problem, I can handle it, but the other AIs have no clue how to deal with it.

And also, the continuing sub bug really annoys me.
(a general Invisible units bug)

I'd really like to see both of them fixed at some stage.
AK.

Last edited by AK47; March 19, 2004 at 07:38.
AK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 09:40   #143
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Antrine
This and many 'other' great ideas require so-called hard-coding for to be implemented. That means we continue petitioning the gods up at Firaxis for these favors.
Not quite. You can do a little tweak in the editor, and have armies created in battle, instead of a leader (general settings). The AI is supposed to know what to do when it has un army under its control.

Edit: however, maybe this tweak would prevent scientific leaders from appearing. I don't know, it needs to be tested.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 09:42   #144
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
However, maybe this tweak would prevent scientific leaders from appearing. I don't know, it needs to be tested.
It would not prevent scientific leaders from appearing, but it would prevent Armies from appearing if you already have an Army in the field. Tested and verified.

Still, better than how it is now, IMO.

Last edited by alexman; March 19, 2004 at 11:16.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 11:08   #145
planetfall
Prince

F3 crash bug
Any idea if this bug was fixed in 1.20? With 1.15 I'm experiencing crashes about 3..5 times a game.

PF
Old March 19, 2004, 11:12   #146
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Never seen it.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 11:17   #147
planetfall
Prince

Doc,

It happens late in game with lots of units/cities. When you press the F3 key and have ability to see other civs military, the game crashes about 1/50 turns. Not windows, just the game. Does not seem to have any correlation with frequency of windows reboot. This is on WinXP. Others have reported the problem and is listed as a bug over at cfan.

PF
Old March 19, 2004, 12:17   #148
player1
Emperor

Who knows?

Maybe when Firaxis tweaked rules for scientific leader, maybe army creation bug got fixed too.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 12:27   #149
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

planetfall do you have to have a spy for it to happen? I have not seen it, but I have not had a spy either with 1.15.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2004, 12:43   #150
planetfall
Prince

VMXA1,

I think having a spy increases frequency. What is annoying is I have not retrained me yet. I like to:
-- play round
-- see new count of AI military after my action
-- save game
-- go to next round

Unfortunately I too often forget I need to save BEFORE hitting F3. Usually I am trying to see change in number of bombers||infantry||tanks||AC||BS.

It has happened before I had spies in AI civs, but does increase with active spies.

PF