Old March 14, 2004, 10:00   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PEACE and the last base IMPORTANT
This game is a PBEM, and we all know about the bug when a faction's last base is captured/destroyed...

The turn order will be disrupted, and some factions will lose thier turn as a result.

The normal PBEM method is that the defeated faction self-destructs their last base themselves when the admit defeat.

Just a heads-up incase the CyUni were considering this action - it WILL break the game.

Thankyour for your time.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 14, 2004, 11:37   #2
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 21:10
Aw, and I just worked out such a beautifull tactical strategy.
couldn't you tell sooner...

Don't worry, joking...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 14, 2004, 13:21   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well sooner I thought that PEACE would whip your bum

-Jam
Old March 14, 2004, 14:39   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Re: PEACE and the last base IMPORTANT
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
This game is a PBEM, and we all know about the bug when a faction's last base is captured/destroyed...

................. it WILL break the game.
Well, given the turn order, it might not be too bad (with Buster's approval)

What would happen is that the CyCon destroy the last base, thuis eradicating PEACE, and the game then jumps to the start of the next planet year, to the Hive. Only the Drones play after PEACE, so they would lose a turn.

If they acquiesced, no biggie. If not, then base disbanding is the norm

G.
Old March 14, 2004, 15:06   #5
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 14:10
A turn is a turn... I think we Drones would like as many as we can get-- more if we can find a way. (kidding on that last part)
Old March 14, 2004, 18:40   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Disbanding is fine, should the last base be taken.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 14, 2004, 19:54   #7
Jamski
Deity

That's the point - the last base may not be taken, Drogue, or the Drones will lose a turn.

-Jam
Old March 14, 2004, 20:10   #8
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 12:10
I though the agreed upon action would be for the attacker to send its turn to the Gods with the Military attack plan they intend to use. The Gods then test the plan a few times to confirm that destruction is inevitable.

Then the team plays the turn without actualy performing said attacks (perhaps moving units to the locations they would have to have been in inorder to have exicuted attacks but not following through) and on the lossers turn the Gods delete them and pass the turn along to the rest of the factions on the turn.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old March 14, 2004, 20:21   #9
Jamski
Deity

Well, whatever. Just don't accidentally destroy the last base or anything...

-Jam
Old March 15, 2004, 02:47   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
I though the agreed upon action would be for the attacker to send its turn to the Gods with the Military attack plan they intend to use. The Gods then test the plan a few times to confirm that destruction is inevitable.

Then the team plays the turn without actualy performing said attacks (perhaps moving units to the locations they would have to have been in inorder to have exicuted attacks but not following through) and on the lossers turn the Gods delete them and pass the turn along to the rest of the factions on the turn.
I was just going to suggest that.
Old March 15, 2004, 04:18   #11
Jamski
Deity

The winners have to empty the base and have a unit with enough movement left that it would be capable of taking it, is the usual required situation.

-Jam
Old March 15, 2004, 12:44   #12
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
Quote:
The winners have to empty the base and have a unit with enough movement left that it would be capable of taking it, is the usual required situation.

-Jam

This has all been discussed and agreed to before... currently there is a ceasefire in place, however, so it is moot, IMHO.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 15, 2004, 18:46   #13
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
This has all been discussed and agreed to before... currently there is a ceasefire in place, however, so it is moot, IMHO.
No it isn't. Obviously the Hive knew that we were gonna sink your last schooner as retaliation of them destroying our colony pod, and that as a consequence PEACE could be eliminated from this game. That's why Jamski started this thread. The Hive never had any intention to safe you from destruction. After all they helped us win our war against you a few years back, and recently after we agreed to peace talks, they suddenly were no longer interested in participating in those. Their only intention was to have some justification to attack us, and therefore they started all that Planetary Council rubbish roleplay.
Old March 15, 2004, 20:00   #14
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
Well, I don't know at all about the Hive's motivations, but it should still be moot as the CPU has agreed to a ceasefire. Don't see what changes that at all unless CPU wants to break its word.

The only way PEACE could therefore be eliminated would be via Hive or Drone attack... which at this juncture I find highly unlikely.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 15, 2004, 20:45   #15
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 09:10

Function Maniac, trying to spread dissent.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 16, 2004, 00:30   #16
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Remember: I'm on leave. Sort of

If CyCon does indeed attempt to destroy PEACE, you will have to PM me in order for me to declare PEACE dead.
Otherwise, it won't die.
Old March 16, 2004, 04:10   #17
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Well, I don't know at all about the Hive's motivations, but it should still be moot as the CPU has agreed to a ceasefire. Don't see what changes that at all unless CPU wants to break its word.
It was more or less obvious that the only way we would be willing to leave PEACE alone was if the Hive left CPU alone. Therefore those negotiations we had should actually have been three-party negotiations. However the Hive never replied anything to our PMs about a peace proposal involving you. I guess that shows how interested they really were in your survival. In any case, it is the Hive with their actions that broke the cease-fire agreement.
Old March 16, 2004, 04:34   #18
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
It was more or less obvious that the only way we would be willing to leave PEACE alone was if the Hive left CPU alone.
No. Its not obvious at all. You're just pissed that we killed the captured PEACE colony pod that was in our territory, and looking for an excuse to start a war.

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 08:28   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The CP that we were desperately trying to move out of the area before being ruthlessly killed by Hive forces? The CP that the Hive declared war on CPU to kill?

Now why would we be upset about that?
Old March 16, 2004, 08:38   #20
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

And
Quote:
You're just pissed that we killed the captured PEACE colony pod that was in our territory, and looking for an excuse to start a war.

-Jam
And Hive seems pissed that we outsmarted them 3 times already. That cp wasn't even near your territory. It was close to Angel territory though...

If Hive is that afraid of mere civilian CPU units, why don't you just stop this war then?

I promise I'lll be

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 16, 2004, 08:41   #21
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Oh, and its too late for us to look for excuses to start a war.
Hive already declared war.
Old March 16, 2004, 09:10   #22
Jamski
Deity

The Hive has made no declaration of war. It has simply liberated captured PEACE civillians that were being held hostage in a CP.

It was a police action.

BTW...

Vendetta != War
Vendetta = Forces may engage at will, or not - no state of truce or pact.
War = Forces of both sides actively engaged to defeat the forces of the other, and normally following on a formal declaration.

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 09:14   #23
Skanky Burns

Isn't it the other way around?
Old March 16, 2004, 09:25   #24
Jamski
Deity

Nope.

Its not.

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 09:27   #25
Skanky Burns

Ok then.
Substitute vendetta with war in my posts then.
Old March 16, 2004, 09:30   #26
Jamski
Deity

Yeah, but "The Hive has declared Vendetta" isn't really saying anything.

Vendetta comes and goes.

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 09:34   #27
GeoModder
Deity

Thus I could have ordered to shoot down all those precious Hive vessels and still have no war?

/me wonders over the missed opportunity for target practice...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 16, 2004, 09:37   #28
Skanky Burns

When dealing with the Hive, certainly.

EDIT: Replying to "Vendetta comes and goes", I had better add.
Old March 16, 2004, 09:38   #29
Jamski
Deity

They are millitary targets, and we would have had to react with attacks on your millitary targets leading to a war.

-Jam
Old March 16, 2004, 09:43   #30
Skanky Burns

So we can kill all Hive formers and crawlers? Nice to know.