Old March 19, 2004, 04:01   #31
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rasputin, I just recently learned the connection between IE and quitting civ. If I had one or more IE windows open, PTW or c3c would take forever to quit(more like 5 minutes but you get my point). No IE, and it quits in a matter of seconds(10-15).

My system is even weaker, p3@450, 256MB RAM(with 2-3 bit errors.. ) and 40GB HD.
Old March 19, 2004, 06:18   #32
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
That is really interesting. I see a similar freeze. Never a lock up though. After a minute, the system works fine. It is just IE that is effected. I can switch around other apps without issue.
Old March 19, 2004, 07:02   #33
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Same here, just that the "freeze" is shorter - like 15-20 seconds. Prolly because of a bit faster system (P4 @ 1.7Ghz).

One interesting thing to note - I did not have this problem playing the C3C beta test games (C3C betas were quitting in an eyeblink for me). And I was testing on an ancient PII @ 450Mhz system. Haven't tried a C3C game with the release copy yet, though.

nye - does the release C3C behave the same way as release PtW (i.e. long period of semi-freeze after quitting the game)? If it does, it might point to the copy protection system being the culprit... as that one was different in the betas...
Old March 19, 2004, 07:29   #34
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I am surprised at the amount of problems. Those with IE you can fix by using a better browser of course.

Other than that, my old machine (1.2Ghz, 512MB RAM) ran PTW fine, with minor slowdowns in the modern era if things got busy.
Old March 19, 2004, 08:12   #35
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 21:11
I have 'only' an Athlon (iirc) 660MHz and 384MB ram. W98.
The game is not really fast, but turns are certainly < 1minute, until at least modern era
I have real problems only when I give a try at Deity+ level.
Otherwise, Monarch or Emperor, on huge pangea or continents, 12 players is OK. 16 is a real problem in the industrial age. I try not to play 16 anymore.

The problems I've noticed when quitting was that I could not re-start a game too quickly. It seems there is some cleaning during 2-5 seconds after quitting. At least, my disk is busy.
Sometimes, when I start another game too quickly after quitting something seems corrupted, the game does not start. Usually, waiting a little or starting another directX game (moo2) solve the problem, but I remember that once, I even had to switch off/on my PC to be able to play again.
DirectX stuff? Problems switching the screen size/resolution between game and desktop? I think it takes some time, but is it the reason why my disk is busy? I don't know. I'm not expert enough.
Old March 19, 2004, 12:21   #36
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
Before I replaced my motherboard and memory, I had encountered some freezes with PTW. I also changed hard drives, so I do not know which was the cause. I also felt it was the memory.

It some times crashed as well and IE did at times. It was a real pain. I have not had any since, but I am using C3C now.
Old March 19, 2004, 15:13   #37
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
nye - does the release C3C behave the same way as release PtW (i.e. long period of semi-freeze after quitting the game)? If it does, it might point to the copy protection system being the culprit... as that one was different in the betas...
I had it with every version of Civ, and hmm, being creative never helped
(It seemed to be better with some patches, although that is highly subjective)
I think I even experienced it with no IE window being open.
I asked about this at the private GS forum and DeepO said this could be some programmer trick, to make it look as if it shutsdown really fast (immediately jumping back to the desktop) while in fact it isn't.
(Well it is shutting down of course, but not as fast as they want to make it look )

XP 2000
756MB DDR
Old March 19, 2004, 15:16   #38
DrSpike
Deity

Mine shuts down immediately.
Old March 19, 2004, 15:17   #39
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
the computer just freezes when changing exiting on and starting th eother.
On the other hand I have run (I think) PTW and the CM4 demo simultanious with no problem at all, while at the same time brouwsing both games main forums.

Edit : corrected tags

Last edited by alva; March 20, 2004 at 06:32.
Old March 19, 2004, 22:47   #40
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
What do people like the most as an alternative to IE?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 20, 2004, 06:31   #41
alva
Deity

Firefox
Old March 20, 2004, 07:46   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Yes, I think so. As for betas, I may not have noticed since I would not have been rushing to forums after playing betas.
Old March 20, 2004, 08:31   #43
DrSpike
Deity

Theseus, I use Opera. Many swear by Mozilla. I'd choose between those two personally.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:42   #44
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Which one has the multiple tab view?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old March 20, 2004, 10:49   #45
DrSpike
Deity

Opera does for sure, and possibly Mozilla does as well.
Old March 20, 2004, 13:37   #46
The Pioneer
Prince

I had a P3 500 Mhz and I could take off to drink tea btwn turns (huge map, 4 or 5 civs, later part of the game). Now with my P4 2,66Mhz 1GB RAM it takes considerably less but I had to make adjustments to my tea habits

So long...
Old March 20, 2004, 13:53   #47
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
Opera does for sure, and possibly Mozilla does as well.
Yep, so does firefox.

Get it if you like a fast, small brouwser that does the job as good, if not better then the others.
Before firefox, I never used anything besides IE, each time I open it now, I can't belief I stuck with it for so long...

I personally didn't like Opera because of all the fluff, but I can others liking it.
-

Quote:
I had a P3 500 Mhz and I could take off to drink tea btwn turns (huge map, 4 or 5 civs, later part of the game). Now with my P4 2,66Mhz 1GB RAM it takes considerably less but I had to make adjustments to my tea habits
Do as normal computer people do..., drink Coke !!
Old March 20, 2004, 16:04   #48
DrSpike
Deity

Hehe this reminds me of Colonisation on my Amiga. I used to read between turns at the end of the game.

Still great though.
Old March 20, 2004, 19:13   #49
Theseus
Emperor

Ahhh, Firefox was previously known as Firebird... that's what I was thinking of. Cool! Downloading now (very important for the playing of AU 502!).

Old March 20, 2004, 19:14   #50
Theseus
Emperor

Wow that was FAAAAST!

Old March 21, 2004, 20:42   #51
Theseus
Emperor

Firefox officially rocks.

Old March 24, 2004, 22:48   #52
Gravity Happens
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:11
What I've found that usually makes turns take obnoxiously long amounts of time to compute for the AI is a lot of wars. One time I was playing as the Dutch, and I looked at my foreign advisor because the turns were taking a while, and I saw that there were 7 wars going on at once! (I normally play a huge 60% water pangaea regent difficulty 12 civ bloodbath). With these settings the turns don't usually start taking a while until a world war starts in the industrial era

-Mark Twain