Old March 14, 2004, 16:50   #1
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The reichstag is burning. (Russian elections thread )
well not really but this is happening.

Do you think it has anything to do with this?

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/074/...tion_wi:.shtml

Quote:
Putin wins Russian election with more than 68 percent, according to preliminary results

By Steve Gutterman, Associated Press, 3/14/2004 15:08

ADVERTISEMENT
MOSCOW (AP) President Vladimir Putin easily won a second term in elections Sunday with 69 percent of the vote, according to an exit poll, confirming widespread expectations of a landslide victory.

The poll, conducted by the non-governmental Public Opinion Foundation, surveyed 120,000 voters at 1,200 polling stations. With 21.5 percent of precincts accounted for, Putin had 68 percent of the vote, Central Election Commission chief Alexander Veshnyakov said.

Ninety minutes before polls closed in heavily populated western Russia, electoral officials said that 61.18 percent of voters nationwide had cast ballots. Once the turnout exceeded 50 percent, the election was considered valid.

Assured of victory, Putin was looking for a powerful turnout to further strengthen his grip over Russia already tightened by his appointment of a loyal new Cabinet just before the vote and by December parliamentary elections that gave the main pro-Kremlin party full control over lawmaking.

Putin, who reined in Russia's independent media following his first election in 2000, dominated the nationwide television networks before the vote. His five challengers received less coverage, adding to the widespread impression that the vote was a one-horse race.

''I voted for Putin because he is going to win anyway and what is the point in voting for someone else,'' said financial inspector Yelena Chebakova, 31, one of a handful of early voters at a Moscow polling station.

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said he was concerned with a lack of openness in Russia's presidential election and ''a level of authoritarianism creeping back'' into Russian society.

But he said he did not think Russia was reverting to the hard-line ways of the former Soviet Union.

''Russians have to understand that to have full democracy of the kind that the international community will recognize, you've got to let candidates have all access to the media that the president has,'' Powell said on ''Fox News Sunday.''

A frenzy of television appeals by Putin, his rivals and even top religious leaders urging people to vote reflected Kremlin concerns that the lack of a challenger with a chance of unseating the president might keep Russians away from the ballot box.

After voting in Moscow on Sunday morning alongside his wife, Lyudmila, Putin made a last-minute plea, saying that ''much depends on this election'' and that ''the feeling of involvement must increase year after year.''

The election lasted 22 hours, stretching over 11 time zones, before ending at 8 p.m. in the Baltic Sea exclave of Kaliningrad.

Nadezhda, a kindergarten teacher who gave only her first name, didn't need the encouragement provided by a van that cruised around her Moscow neighborhood with a loudspeaker shouting that voting is the way to ''a dignified life and a bright future.''

''I always vote it is my country and my responsibility,'' she said, adding that she voted for Putin. She said he is ''young and energetic'' qualities that many Russians cite for their support of the trim, 51-year-old president, who has also benefited from steady economic growth during his first term.

''We voted for Putin because under him there's been stability in society, in the economy,'' said Mikhail Antonchik, a young miner who voted with his wife in Cheryomukhovo, a Ural Mountains village. ''You can plan for the family.''

But about one-fifth of Russia's 144 million people live in poverty and the gap between rich and poor remains wide, stoking anger at the authorities.

Communist challenger Nikolai Kharitonov appealed to the poor and polled more strongly than expected, bringing in 14.3 percent of the vote, according to preliminary results. Some 3.9 percent of voters checked the box marked ''against all.''

Irina Kozhukhova, a 42-year-old radio factory worker in St. Petersburg, said she'd voted in that category.

''I didn't vote for Putin because I've seen no changes neither in politics nor in the economy,'' she said.

Amid calls by some liberals for a boycott of the vote, which came three months after parliamentary elections that international observers called a setback for democracy, rival candidates and rights groups alleged vote-rigging in favor of Putin, including pre-marked ballots and pressure on students and soldiers.

''The authorities are resorting to pressuring the electorate and abusing their powers to manipulate the vote,'' nationalist candidate Sergei Glazyev told The Associated Press at an election monitoring center he set up jointly with Kharitonov and liberal candidate Irina Khakamada.

Citing monitors, the joint center said that patients at a Moscow psychiatric hospital had complained that the ballots they received were already marked for Putin.

VOICE, a grass-roots election monitoring association, reported that officers at a military base in the Volga River region of Samara received telegrams from the Defense Ministry ordering them to tell their superiors, in writing, the time they and their family members voted. Students at Samara State Aerospace University were threatened with eviction from their dormitory if they didn't vote, VOICE alleged.

Putin did not campaign openly, relying instead on his image as a stable, disciplined leader to appeal to a nation still traumatized by the political and social upheavals that followed the 1991 Soviet collapse.

In addition to Kharitonov, Khakamada and Glazyev, Putin faced Oleg Malyshkin, the little-known candidate from flamboyant nationalist Vladimir Zhirinovsky's party, and Sergei Mironov, the speaker of the upper house of parliament, who has said he was running to support the incumbent. Glazyev polled 4.7 percent and Khakamada 4.6 percent, according to preliminary results.
Well, no surprises, to be honest, the real question being, what happens next? what will Putin do in this term?
Old March 14, 2004, 16:51   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
did he do anything last term?
Old March 14, 2004, 16:52   #3
Az
Emperor

You bet your ass he did.
Old March 14, 2004, 16:55   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

like what
Old March 14, 2004, 16:57   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:11
I'm surprised he only got 68% I expected him to fly in the 80-90% zone.

I suppose Putin will continue what he did: stability and growth that is furthered by increasing authoritarianism, that will not reach the levels of the Societ Union.
Old March 14, 2004, 17:06   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Good thread title - the Manezh, just near the Kremlin, is on fire and is going to collapse very soon.
Old March 14, 2004, 17:06   #7
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

I suppose Putin will continue what he did: stability and growth that is furthered by increasing authoritarianism, that will not reach the levels of the Societ Union.
Perhaps 68% is secure, but not ostentatious.
Old March 14, 2004, 18:09   #8
Az
Emperor

I think that the key indicator of the future is will Putin pursue a third term.
Old March 14, 2004, 18:15   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:11
Good to see btw that no TV stations in Rusland were willing to run any of the adds of the opposition.
Old March 14, 2004, 23:08   #10
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Do you think Putin is less authoritarian than would have been Gorbatchev with his reforms?
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old March 14, 2004, 23:10   #11
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Do you think Putin is less authoritarian than would have been Gorbatchev with his reforms?
That's a good question. With momentum running for both of them in opposite directions, it is really hard to tell. A lot will depend on where Putin stops and what the next step after him is wrt democratic elections.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 14, 2004, 23:43   #12
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
He's a smart dictator.
Old March 14, 2004, 23:47   #13
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Blah...blah...blah...
Old March 14, 2004, 23:49   #14
Serb
Emperor

He is back!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	terminator-2putin.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	67175  
Old March 14, 2004, 23:50   #15
DinoDoc
Deity

Awww, the little nationalist is peaved people are saying he doesn't live in a democracy.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 14, 2004, 23:56   #16
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 19:11
Serb shouldn't be so sad America doesnt, either.
Old March 14, 2004, 23:57   #17
DinoDoc
Deity

We aren't so blatant.
Old March 14, 2004, 23:58   #18
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Awww, the little nationalist is peaved people are saying he doesn't live in a democracy.
Look, boy, I LIVE in Russia, and I know much better than you where I LIVE, and know much better than you what is going on here.
You just read such BS articles and think that you know how things are going in Russia. Such BS articles is your only source of knowledge. And you tell me where I live? Yeah, right.
Old March 14, 2004, 23:58   #19
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
We aren't so blatant.
Yes, you are
Old March 14, 2004, 23:58   #20
DinoDoc
Deity

Your trolls are still boring and predictable. Try harder not to be boring in the future.
Old March 15, 2004, 00:00   #21
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

Look, boy, I LIVE in Russia, and I know much better than you where I LIVE,
You could have fooled me.
Old March 15, 2004, 00:00   #22
Nubclear

I recently had a very sucessful troll at where the event is.
But I'll stop threadjacking this thread.
Old March 15, 2004, 00:02   #23
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Serb shouldn't be so sad America doesnt, either.
I didn't vote for Putin.
Old March 15, 2004, 00:04   #24
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You could have fooled me.
I don't get it. Do you still think I'm a DL?
Old March 15, 2004, 00:06   #25
DinoDoc
Deity

I'm refering to your impressive ability to argue against a mountain of facts with little or nothing on your side.
Old March 15, 2004, 00:06   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

I didn't vote for Putin.
Why not?
Old March 15, 2004, 00:08   #27
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I weep for Russia.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 15, 2004, 00:09   #28
Nubclear

Why?
Old March 15, 2004, 00:10   #29
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:11
Whatever. I was shoveling snow out of Khabarovsk before you guys were in diapers.

I remember how it was.

Mis Novias
Old March 15, 2004, 00:10   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Wow... that DD troll got its hook attached faster than caling Fez a Communist does. Impressive .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)