Old May 9, 2004, 15:34   #91
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The event is up, but the address was changed to get rid of CT, Jagwah and a few other undesirables.
Old May 9, 2004, 15:58   #92
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
Local Date: November 3, 2010
clearly Jaguar has been PWNed

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old May 9, 2004, 19:30   #93
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 19:12
Az: Why the rant? This one thread was bumped to ask for more news, and is a site important to many who browse here. Why does it have any less business being here than other threads? Admittedly the thread has been spammed, but it was bumped just to ask for news. This isn't about a circle-jerk, this is about getting news as to whether or not it's up.

As of yet, I have no news about why it's down or for how long

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 9, 2004, 19:41   #94
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 22:12
Actually, I didn't mind that, at all, until the moment someone actually asked from JohnT to remove the URL of it, or something. I'll meet you at midnight near mystery creek.
Old May 9, 2004, 20:09   #95
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

What is so bad about it? We don't want to make it invite only, since it complicates things, and makes it cumbersome, IMHO. However we don't want it to be overrun, and as such, have asked that Eventis not be linked to. We would like to keep it as a relatively small community. Far more importantly, some of the issues discussed there are sensitive, and as such people would not like links to it bandied about the net. That was why John T was asked to remove the link, and why I am asking you to remove the link you posted. You don't use the site, you have no need to post that link. What is the purpose of posting the link? There is little to be gained from posting it, yet we have asked that it not be linked to, because it does affect us. Please respect that.

Old May 9, 2004, 20:38   #96
Az
Emperor

Then don't be pseudo-secret. It's fricking annoying. You want to keep a low profile, It's your ****ing right, use PMs, or something, don't behave like a bunch of kid detectives or ****. What's next? invisible ink?
Old May 9, 2004, 21:59   #97
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
You caved.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 9, 2004, 22:11   #98
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 14:12
rofl lol wtf omg
teh whack

t3h sex!!!!!!!!!
Old May 9, 2004, 22:16   #99
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
Calc, would you like to join us at the Event? (When it comes back obviously)

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 9, 2004, 22:43   #100
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Az reminds me of Jamski whining about me calling him a spammer
...or someone else whining about being called a Mormon.

Old May 9, 2004, 22:45   #101
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

PWNED!!!!11

Old May 10, 2004, 00:13   #102
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 13:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
HAS ANYONE SEEN THE EVENT?!!!!!!!111111111

Guess what, *******s, noone cares. The entire eventis Forums, staff, technical support of the webhosting, etc. can all collectively go **** themselves. Annoying spammers the lot of you.

'When is the event?''What happened to the event?''is ejaculating on a llama's corpse an event?' All of you, ALL OF YOU MOTHER****ING SPAMMERS CAN DROP ****ING DEAD

EDIT: I am getting way too kind in my old age.
I really like how this reads now.

Grapefruit Garden
Old May 10, 2004, 09:03   #103
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Then don't be pseudo-secret. It's fricking annoying. You want to keep a low profile, It's your ****ing right, use PMs, or something, don't behave like a bunch of kid detectives or ****. What's next? invisible ink?
Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol...

Troll, Troll, Troll, Troll, Troll, Troll.

Last edited by Dauphin; May 10, 2004 at 12:34.
Old May 10, 2004, 09:04   #104
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I'm wondering why this thread has been allowed to stay open, when a similar thread [ as far as spam content goes ] was closed without explanation.
Old May 10, 2004, 09:08   #105
Drogue
staff

Az: Thank you I do understand you're concerns. This started as one thread thing just for fun, but has got out of control. I will ask that it be tempered...

/me looks at the usual suspects.

Verto: I think the others were closed because
a) they lacked a point, even behind all that spam, and
b) there were more than one of them.

Last edited by Drogue; May 11, 2004 at 20:40.
Old May 10, 2004, 09:08   #106
Tattila the Hun
King

There was poetry reding on local library the other day. I quess that's an event...
Old May 10, 2004, 09:18   #107
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I'm wondering why this thread has been allowed to stay open, when a similar thread [ as far as spam content goes ] was closed without explanation.
We usually allow a "single" thread for other sites when they are down. It gives people a chance to stay in touch what's going on. We also "try" to keep in mind the nature of the site and allow a more flexable view on what's posted in it. We allow a little more spamming

However, I'm really tempted to close this one down as well.
Since they don't want a link posted, and want to keep Apolyton people from going there, this could be considered a club thread. Other sites post here and would welcome people to show up... It seems to go against the spirit of what we allow by having a site that doesn't want people from here to be posting about their site when it's down.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:11   #108
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Since they [...] want to keep Apolyton people from going there
If that were really true they wouldn't post here in the first place.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:20   #109
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Dauphin
If that were really true they wouldn't post here in the first place.
While I can understand your logic...

Quote:
What is so bad about it? We don't want to make it invite only, since it complicates things, and makes it cumbersome, IMHO. However we don't want it to be overrun, and as such, have asked that Eventis not be linked to. We would like to keep it as a relatively small community.
Some might find it kind of insulting that they want to use Apolyton to post updates about their site, but don't want people from Apolyton to find a way to their site. I've received a few complaints already, and I must say that I can understand the logic behind the complaints.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:24   #110
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

I wouldn't say that they don't want people to go there. They just didn't want to advertise. So only people who are really interested will go there.

Tiger is going to go to Kindergarten this year. We found out that there is this so called "magnetic" school which has a special education system and very good reputation and open to all people in the city. However they only have so many spot so they run a lottery to select who gets to be in. They don't advertise so that they don't attract too many people. Only those people who are really interested in finding a good school will find them. Btw we were just informed last Wednesday that Tiger wasn't selected in the lottery, which is a big bummer to us. We are now thinking about selling our house that we loved so much and moving to a better school district.

Grapefruit Garden
Old May 10, 2004, 10:27   #111
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

Some might find it kind of insulting that they want to use Apolyton to post updates about their site, but don't want people from Apolyton to find a way to their site.
I think everybody who requested a link would be provided with one. I have actually personally send the link to a few people when they posted in this thread and asked for a link. And I also received responses saying that they wasn't real serious when asking for the link.

Grapefruit Garden
Old May 10, 2004, 10:28   #112
Dauphin
Deity

I would say that its mainly a psychology/advertising thing, to get people to see what the fuss is about and thus look up the site.

Its also a self-deluding image thing that if challenged fades away pretty damn quickly.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:29   #113
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
However, I'm really tempted to close this one down as well.
Since they don't want a link posted, and want to keep Apolyton people from going there, this could be considered a club thread. Other sites post here and would welcome people to show up... It seems to go against the spirit of what we allow by having a site that doesn't want people from here to be posting about their site when it's down.
I do understand what you mean, and I understand the complaints about it. It is not that we don't wish people to go to it, most of the members are Apolyton posters and are always increasing. We do want people to go there. The no link rule is to stop it being overrun. We don't mind people going there, people talking about it, etc. We would just rather it wasn't directly linked to. I would like to stress it is only the linking to it we would rather keep from happening, and since others are welcome to comment, talk about it and anything else in this thread, it is no more a club thread than any thread for another site that's down.

If you wish to close this thread, I have no real objection, since Events talk on 'Poly as it is anyway, though I would like to post a thread stating it's up when it's up again. However I would disagree that it is a club thread, at least any more than any thread about a site that's down.

Last edited by Drogue; May 11, 2004 at 20:40.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:32   #114
Drogue
staff

HongHu said it much better than I did, and is exactly right

Quote:
Originally posted by Dauphin
I would say that its mainly a psychology/advertising thing, to get people to see what the fuss is about and thus look up the site.
Actually, I disagree with that. The no link reasoning is exactly as HongHu described, and it is not a different form of advertising.

Old May 10, 2004, 10:34   #115
Dauphin
Deity

Bleh!

It just rings of attention seeking to me. But what do I know.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:37   #116
Ming
lifer
Retired

While I said I was "tempted"... you will notice I posted instead of closing it

I understand your point of view that you don't want the site overrun... but I truely don't think that would happen

But people have complained (people complain about everything), so I'm just doing my job by checking it out.

Again... we do allow a "single" thread for other sites. As long as they are free, non commercial, and welcome new members.
Old May 10, 2004, 11:04   #117
Snowflake
Princess

You are always the wisest Chief Minion.

Grapefruit Garden
Old May 10, 2004, 11:26   #118
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Some might find it kind of insulting that they want to use Apolyton to post updates about their site, but don't want people from Apolyton to find a way to their site. I've received a few complaints already, and I must say that I can understand the logic behind the complaints.
Precisely.
Old May 10, 2004, 12:01   #119
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
You are always the wisest Chief Minion.
Indeed, but please tell us if you do, we've already banned one Ming

Az: We are open to new members, and you are welcome to join, if you wish

Old May 11, 2004, 17:29   #120
Adagio
staff
Spore