Old March 24, 2004, 11:04   #181
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oi I even completed MI3!!! almost without cheating too.
Old March 24, 2004, 11:35   #182
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 15:17
Quote:
He already pointed out that he was referring in that comment to the new Pirates game, not Civ3.
An easily defeated backtrack. He said it 'remind anyone of anything'. A 3D Sid game which is supposed to 'remind anyone of anything' and then he said Civ3 was bad. Not hard to figure out.

Saying it was just used to refer to Pirates! is nothing more than being caught and trying to backtracked.

Basically... pwned!!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 24, 2004, 11:48   #183
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Oh great.......

- Sid is doing it.
- Atari publishing.
- An old classic being remaked "simplified" for the masses and "prettier".
- 3D engine proven to be crap.

Hmm...... remind anyone of anything?

He screwed us with Civ3, he'll screw us with Pirates.
So this is his post. The 3D engine point clearly refers to the new Pirates game. Granted he should have made clear he didn't mean that part reminded him of Civ3 when he drew the comparison later in the post. However he posted again after to say he was referring to the Pirates game 3D engine, so the point is clear.

If you disagree then fair enough, but disagree with his points. Don't pick at a slight oversight that was later corrected anyway. You don't want people to think you can't address the points authoritively and so choose to attack a different way.
Old March 24, 2004, 13:30   #184
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
You don't want people to think you can't address the points authoritively and so choose to attack a different way.
Maybe he does?

it was like soooo OT man

And i completely understand Dales comments, but i just have a 'good' feeling about Pirates2 - its such a great game + I just couldn't bare to see another all time top 10 classic get well and truely stuffed up, it would be too much
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; March 24, 2004 at 13:37.
Old March 24, 2004, 14:03   #185
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

For those that like monkey island and indeed any lucas arts adventure games. Scummvm allows you to run them on newer systems without problem: www.scummvm.org
You have to have the game though, all scummvm does is make it run
This can be used to play the versions for other platforms as well btw, I bought MI3 for windows and played it on my mac with this (and if you have the Mac version of MI2 you can play it on windows, and so on).
Scummvm also supports revolutions broken sword games.

And MI1 and 2 are definatly the better ones

Last edited by Henrik; March 24, 2004 at 14:09.
Old March 24, 2004, 15:38   #186
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:17
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Famous? I'm serious that I have never heard of Monkey Island. It must be a regional fad game or something.
Umm, it's probably one of the best-known computer game series out there. Let me lift that rock you're under...
Old March 24, 2004, 18:14   #187
Grumbold
Emperor

True, but an entire generation has discovered computer games since the release of the original trilogy. They all predate Civ 1 for goodness sake. Did Monkey Island 4 make much of an impact? Not that I recall.
Old March 24, 2004, 18:29   #188
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
He already pointed out that he was referring in that comment to the new Pirates game, not Civ3.
An easily defeated backtrack. He said it 'remind anyone of anything'. A 3D Sid game which is supposed to 'remind anyone of anything' and then he said Civ3 was bad. Not hard to figure out.

Saying it was just used to refer to Pirates! is nothing more than being caught and trying to backtracked.

Basically... pwned!!
These comments are exactly the same ones us CTP2 lovers got from Civ3 lovers in our own forum mind you when we debated the comparisons between CTP2 and Civ3. We'd come up with points for and against each title, and the Civ3 folks would just come in and attack our writing style, and when we pointed it out to the un-educated, they basically said we suck cus we like CTP2.

Sure, it's a good thing to look on Sid's successes, but don't ride it into the dirt. Granted, Railroad tycoon, Civ 1 and pirates were massive successes, but he's failed just like every other developer out there. Gettysburg, Civ3 (in my opinion and a lot of other peoples, you either love or hate it), and lo 'n behold, Simgolf! Yes, in Australia it failed. It was in a classic label box a month after release for $19.95!

I'm looking at his progression through time designing/coding, and notice that his success graph plots like the dropping of the American dollar! So how can I NOT make the assumption that Pirates2 may fail? Add to that the fact Firaxis already stated it would be directed more to the masses (which means more directed towards the young console crowd who don't have the experience of grand strategy that us 80's/90's gamers did).

Personally, I hope Pirates2 is as fantastic if not more than the original, but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. There's plenty of choice for my limited gaming dollars, so they're going to have to do a good job to stop me spending on something else.

That's my 2 cents Imran, and if you don't like it STIFF!
Old March 24, 2004, 18:36   #189
child of Thor
Emperor

i hope its abit like this

PiratesII

'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old March 24, 2004, 19:44   #190
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
True, but an entire generation has discovered computer games since the release of the original trilogy. They all predate Civ 1 for goodness sake. Did Monkey Island 4 make much of an impact? Not that I recall.
Curse doesn't predate Civ1; in fact it's not even close.
Old March 24, 2004, 19:46   #191
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The 3D engine point clearly refers to the new Pirates game. Granted he should have made clear he didn't mean that part reminded him of Civ3 when he drew the comparison later in the post. However he posted again after to say he was referring to the Pirates game 3D engine, so the point is clear.
The point wasn't clear at the time. The 3D engine crack only refered to solely Pirates! afterwards. And yes, I'm supposed to pick out inconsistencies like this... I'm in law school, you see?

Quote:
You don't want people to think you can't address the points authoritively and so choose to attack a different way.
What points should I address? Yes, Sid is doing this, yes Atari is publishing it, yes, an old classic is being redone, yes, it's a 3d engine (but beautiful rather than crap). No, I don't think that Civ3's failures mean every game Sid does from now on will suck.

Quote:
These comments are exactly the same ones us CTP2 lovers got from Civ3 lovers
Oh God, you are a CTP2 lover . And you think you have the capacity to judge how good a game will be .

Quote:
We'd come up with points for and against each title
What points? I've already shown above, they ain't arguments.

Quote:
it's a good thing to look on Sid's successes, but don't ride it into the dirt. Granted, Railroad tycoon, Civ 1 and pirates were massive successes, but he's failed just like every other developer out there. Gettysburg, Civ3 (in my opinion and a lot of other peoples, you either love or hate it), and lo 'n behold, Simgolf! Yes, in Australia it failed. It was in a classic label box a month after release for $19.95!
Likewise don't ride Sid's ONE big failure into the dirt. Gettyburg! can by no means be called a failure, and if you are merely going on sales, then System Shock 2 was a failure, but it still is considered one of the greatest games of all time by major magazines. Both Gettysburg! and SimGolf recieved rave reviews.

Quote:
I'm looking at his progression through time designing/coding, and notice that his success graph plots like the dropping of the American dollar! So how can I NOT make the assumption that Pirates2 may fail?
SimGolf was a wonderfully fun game. Gettysburg! was amazing. SMAC is the best Civ-type game ever made. One misstep and his success is dropping on the graph? Huh?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 24, 2004, 20:04   #192
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

, but he's failed just like every other developer out there. Gettysburg,
Burn the heretic!!!

Yes suh, Ginal Lee!

SMG is terrific!!!!
Old March 24, 2004, 20:08   #193
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
, yes, it's a 3d engine (but beautiful rather than crap).
I said the engine was crap, not Pirates2's use of it. But aside from that, the graphics do look a little blocky, but almost guarenteed not to be what we see in the final release, so I'm not going to comment anymore on that till we see some release candidate screenshots.

Quote:
Oh God, you are a CTP2 lover . And you think you have the capacity to judge how good a game will be .
You just proved my point.

Quote:
Quote:
We'd come up with points for and against each title
What points? I've already shown above, they ain't arguments.
Read that paragraph again. I'd moved on from before and was pointing out the similarity between this arguement and the "CTP2 vs Civ3" arguement.

Quote:
Likewise don't ride Sid's ONE big failure into the dirt. Gettyburg! can by no means be called a failure, and if you are merely going on sales, then System Shock 2 was a failure, but it still is considered one of the greatest games of all time by major magazines. Both Gettysburg! and SimGolf recieved rave reviews.
I've learned not to completely trust magazines anymore after being burnt by a few titles. Magazines also said Moo3 was amazing too!

This is pointless. If you want to keep argueing, be my guest. But I'm outa here.
Old March 24, 2004, 20:20   #194
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I said the engine was crap
Most people considered Morrowind to be a great graphical game... and this is the same engine.

Quote:
You just proved my point.
What, that CTP series sucks so much ass that anyone who admits it can't be trusted?

Quote:
Magazines also said Moo3 was amazing too!
Really?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/19577.asp

62% is a reaaaaly baaaad score.
Old March 24, 2004, 21:30   #195
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:17
Quote:
Magazines also said Moo3 was amazing too!
Then those magazines should be out of business by now.
Old March 24, 2004, 21:35   #196
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Then those magazines should be out of business by now.
Maybe people buy them for something other than accurate reviews? (dont know, I dont buy them anymore)
Old March 24, 2004, 21:41   #197
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Argh! They pushed back the release date on Port Royale 2 to September!

Blast me innards and call me Polly! Argggggh!
Old March 24, 2004, 21:50   #198
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Maybe people buy them for something other than accurate reviews?
I buy them for the CG boobies.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 25, 2004, 05:32   #199
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Argh! They pushed back the release date on Port Royale 2 to September!

Blast me innards and call me Polly! Argggggh!
Come on, no walk the plank jokes please or else.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:04   #200
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe people buy them for something other than accurate reviews? (dont know, I dont buy them anymore)
Well i used to buy loads of magazines - i started with C+VG in the 80's and then moved onto Amiga mags in the 90's and recently i used to get PC format as it seemed the least biased in its reviews.

I only get the odd one now and then if the cover disks look interesting and i get the occasional Xbox magazine, not for the reivews(cause all xbox games are great ), but for the demos on the cover disk.

'Game' seems a good magazine for content - so i get that most issues.

Still i judge games on a combination of what the trusted sites/mags say + mostly what i hear on forums.

Thinking on the old game Pirates, the only thing that i used to get annoyed with was the weather system.

It meant i never used to go for square-riggers(hoist the main sail me scurvy swabs! arrghh!) - they were a real pain when trying to sail in an easterly direction.
So i used Barques and Sloops exclusivly - their speed and manouverability made up for their comparative lack of cargo space.

So i hope in the new game they dont try to model the wind patterns in such a strict way - i'm all for a slightly less realistic random weather system. Weather is a cool feature, running before a storm was fun in the origonal.

And in my Pirate laden dreams i always envisioned a whole world map or atleast a large random map like in civ

Add the ability to setup your own towns/forts and maybe a little of the extra detail they put into 'Cutthroats'(by Eidos), and that would have been enough for me to call it Pirates2, and maybe the best game in the world?

If they can pull that off then i could happily throw most of my games to Davy Jones locker and with a 'shiver me timbers' spend the rest of my days sailing the high seas looking for fame and fortune.

NOTE: all the Pirate stuff is for Doc

Old March 25, 2004, 10:13   #201
DrSpike
Deity

Shut it or yall get a taste o' the cat!
Old March 25, 2004, 10:29   #202
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Child of Thor, in future, if you remember any more Pirate clichés for Doc's benefit, can you PM them to him, for our benefit!

I remember the release of Civ, the first three Monkey Islands (wasn't even aware that there was a fourth until I read it here), and the original Pirates, and have to say that Dr Spike is entirely correct in saying that Civ predates MI3, and very possibly MI2 as well, although they were fairly close together.

I'm looking forward to Pirates II, and hope for something like Thor has described, with a much bigger world than the original, and a decent range of ships, different colonial powers to fight for/against, and the possibility of alliances between notorious buccaneers to share the loot after pooling their resources.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:39   #203
Grumbold
Emperor

Okay I got a bad link. They were 1990, 1991, 1997 (not 1992) and 2000. By 1997 Myst and the like had already put adventure gaming into a near terminal decline so I stand by the rest of my statement
Old March 25, 2004, 10:44   #204
child of Thor
Emperor

The reason i like the idea of setting up your own colonies is because that is exactly what many of the famous Pirates did.

The most famous of these being Captian Henry Morgan.
People still search for his reputed hidden gold these days

A sort of Civ blend of Pirates would be awesome - still i'll settle for cartoon graphics and 'follow the prompt' dance moves......

Old March 25, 2004, 11:46   #205
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor

Well i used to buy loads of magazines - i started with C+VG in the 80's and then moved onto Amiga mags in the 90's and recently i used to get PC format as it seemed the least biased in its reviews.

I only get the odd one now and then if the cover disks look interesting and i get the occasional Xbox magazine, not for the reivews(cause all xbox games are great ), but for the demos on the cover disk.

'Game' seems a good magazine for content - so i get that most issues.

Still i judge games on a combination of what the trusted sites/mags say + mostly what i hear on forums.

Thinking on the old game Pirates, the only thing that i used to get annoyed with was the weather system.

It meant i never used to go for square-riggers(hoist the main sail me scurvy swabs! arrghh!) - they were a real pain when trying to sail in an easterly direction.
So i used Barques and Sloops exclusivly - their speed and manouverability made up for their comparative lack of cargo space.

So i hope in the new game they dont try to model the wind patterns in such a strict way - i'm all for a slightly less realistic random weather system. Weather is a cool feature, running before a storm was fun in the origonal.

And in my Pirate laden dreams i always envisioned a whole world map or atleast a large random map like in civ

Add the ability to setup your own towns/forts and maybe a little of the extra detail they put into 'Cutthroats'(by Eidos), and that would have been enough for me to call it Pirates2, and maybe the best game in the world?

If they can pull that off then i could happily throw most of my games to Davy Jones locker and with a 'shiver me timbers' spend the rest of my days sailing the high seas looking for fame and fortune.

NOTE: all the Pirate stuff is for Doc
Gee i bet with what you pay for mags you could probably buy a new PC
Old March 25, 2004, 12:50   #206
Grumbold
Emperor

I'm really hurting for good magazines now that PC Strategy Games and its competitor died i the UK. PC Gamer just doesn't seem to have a true strategy game reviewer left. They all want fast cheap thrills and write off any game that puts strategy ahead of graphics.
Old March 25, 2004, 13:52   #207
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc

Come on, no walk the plank jokes please or else.
Eh, why don't you walk the plank befor I keelhaul you round the Bloody Mary.

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Port Royale 2 will allow you to found up to four of your own towns which start as hide outs and if they grow large enough become part of the Caribbean trade system.
Old March 26, 2004, 09:25   #208
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Gee i bet with what you pay for mags you could probably buy a new PC
Your probably 100% right!

But the crux is IMH(and old fashioned)O - i dont feel the need to do so in a hurry. What games are out there that REALLY warrant i upgrade from my:

Compaq Desktop Pro 4000
W98se
P166Mhz
48Mb ram[64Mb would be nice]
Creative Awe64 sound card
4Gig main HD
30Gig(slave)removable HD
2Mb generic video card[maybe this could be better?].

Dont get me wrong - some great games have been released since 1996 But the few that have been i've played to death on my work PC's.

So i dont need to play any of these games:

Total War series(shogun/Medieval etc)
EU series(1+2)
Ceasar3 games(incl Pharaoh)

there may be a few others.

But this is what i AM playing(with a bit of jiggery pokery):

UFO - enemy unknown(Xcom1)
X-Wing/TieFighter
PiratesGold
Civ1+2
CTP1+2
MonkeyIsland1-3
SMAC
Daggerfall
Imperialism1+2
Reunion(think Masters of Orion1.5)
Many Interactive Fiction titles(old Infocom etc)

there are a few others i've missed.

I'm happy in my gaming Nivarna - its upto the game producers to bring me out of it

And to bring this back to the thread, will Pirates2 be the game to make me upgrade? I'm hoping so.......but my gut feeling is probably not.

Old March 26, 2004, 09:34   #209
DrSpike
Deity

Well if you're happy it's fine. What I would do is keep that machine for classic gaming, and buy a new one for cutting edge gaming.
Old March 26, 2004, 09:41   #210
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
And to think I have an AMD1400TB idling around here.