Old March 16, 2004, 19:47   #1
Zeiter
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data Angels
King

Local Time: 13:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mind Worm Armageddon!!!
Okay, I was playing as Lal in a transcend difficulty game on a huge map. I had a +2 eco rating (running green). I had neural amplifier. I also had mostly elite units (command nexus and cyborg factory combo). I had at least 2 units guarding each of my bases, even my piddly just-conquered bases. In fact, I was owning the AI. I had shard copters while they still had missle needlejets. I could have easily won by a diplomatic victory by just voting myself in (I had over 1000 planetary council votes). But I decided I'd have some fun first, and totally terrorize Yang. I had recently built about 10 nerve gas shard choppers, so I went in and just laid waste to Yang's cities with nerve gas attacks. I probably used over 30 gas attacks in one turn. To top it all off, I nuked him with a fusion planet buster missle. Of course, everyone declared war against me, but I was so far ahead it wasn't even going to matter.

Or so I thought...

Next thing I know, all hell breaks loose with a HUGE round of fungal pops. I'm guessing probably over 25 fungal pops in ONE turn, each of them yeilding about 15 demon-boil locusts of chiron. I immediately looked at my eco-damage, and it was over 200 in some cities!!! Even in my piddly size 3 bases it was over 50! (before this my eco-damage had been 0 in almost all of my cities.)

Now, if they had been mind worms, I could have taken care of them with my elite rovers and artillery, but as you know, locusts of chiron can't be bombarded because they are air units, and they don't all die in a square when you kill one of them like mind worms do. I had dealt with the usual planet freak-outs in transcendence games before, but I had never encountered anything like this.

The fungal pops continued for about 5 turns. Needless to say, I was screwed. Even with my elite units and neural amplifier, they just kept on taking my units out and devouring my cities. At the end pf about 5 turns, my population was down from about 500 to less than 20! All of my powerful core bases with all of my secret projects were gone. Yep, they went from size 18 down to nothing from the relentless locust attacks. I ended up losing the game.

My question is: What did I do to those poor mind worms to tick them off so badly? Was it the nerve gas and the nuke? If it was, I'll know to never do that again.

My second question is this: Have you ever had this happen to you? What's the worst planet freak-out you've ever encountered?
Old March 16, 2004, 19:59   #2
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 21:19
It is the worst planet freakout I ever heard, and the planet buster is undoubtedly the cause.

I think, in game mechanics, all bases on planet get an increase in pollution with every pb that is dropped. The later in the game, the more powerfull the native life. On the size of your population I gather you were already late in the game. And since you had the most pollution on Planet, all popups gathered at you. Did the other factions had to endure native attacks as well?
And that is new from me, native life actually attacked your core bases at least 20 times so that they really went extinct?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 16, 2004, 23:50   #3
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 3, 2010
For every 5 atrocity, your major atrocity increases by on. This is important because I think major atrocities decreases clean mineral rating by 5. I'm not sure if your clean mineral rating can go negative but if it can, then I could imagine you would have accumulated -35 clean mineral in that turn. 30+ nerve gas attack + PB = around 7 major atrocity = -35 mineral rating.

This is an oddity, if you repealed UN charter before launching that assult attack and what you have done is not declare an atrocity then the mass ecodamage scenario shouldn't occur.

I am also curious, did the planet create a volcano after your attack?

Last edited by Vev; March 16, 2004 at 23:56.
Old March 17, 2004, 03:12   #4
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
You should have been able to use SAM artillery against the locusts of chiron, to greatly soften them.
Old March 17, 2004, 11:56   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Chaos theory has it right-- SAM artillery will just slam the locusts.

Also vev has the concept for ecodamage after committing atrocities. I have also done this for fun just to play with the worms but the reality is if you nerve gas more than a couple of times you will be eating worms. If you plan to nerve gas a LOT, you better have at least one artillery and one empath unit per base and preferably 2 to 3.

Having the neural amplifier and trance units is hopeless in a sense due to the massive numbers you were facing. Defenders will get killed. The only way to have a hope of fightinf offf the worms is to be the attacker and enjoy the benefits of killing or damaging entire stacks.

Oh and don't forget about the possibilities of self destructing a unit-its great tp give damage to 4 or 5 stacks of worms all at once
Old March 17, 2004, 12:57   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
I heard once that missiles defend perfectly against natives.

If so garrison a missile at each base and allow the natives to throw themselves at your missile.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 17, 2004, 13:45   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'd love to see "before and after" pictures of this. I'm REALLY amused.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 17, 2004, 15:44   #8
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

Glad to see that in the expansion that the mind worms are more powerfull it always seemed to me that the penalties for atrocities are way to low!
Old March 17, 2004, 16:00   #9
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

Glad to see that in the expansion that the mind worms are more powerfull it always seemed to me that the penalties for atrocities are way to low!
Old March 17, 2004, 16:59   #10
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
I'd love to see "before and after" pictures of this. I'm REALLY amused.

-Jam
Me too, Jamski. Also I think this would make a great theme or backdrop for a fan fiction. A faction grows powerful but in its hubris, trigger a massive reliation upon themselves by the Planet, leaving few survivors whom many probably has gone mad.
Old March 17, 2004, 20:45   #11
Zeiter
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data Angels
King

Thanks for the advice and info. SAM artillery! Never realized you could do that! Next time I'm anticipating a worm attack, I'll definitely be stocking up on those. the self-destruct thing isn't a bad idea either. do missles also work?

Yeah, those locusts absolutely devoured most of my bases, right down to the last person.

Another thing: due to all of the eco-damage, global sea levels were going to rise more than 4000 meters over the next 20 years, even with the coucil voting for the solar shade! Whoa, Waterworld...

I don't think any of the other factions had trouble with the native life.

I also forgot to mention: Yang had also just used a PB on me after my initial round of nerve gas attacks, so that might have contributed too.

About the volcano, funny thing happened. A volcano had already erupted about mid game when I wasn't experiencing any eco-damage or attack. I'm not quite sure why. I don't know if two volcanoes can erupt in the same game, can they? Well, there wasn't an eruption during the attacks.

No, I couldn't get the U.N. charter repealed. I tried, but all of the other factions took one look at my nice shard nerve gas copters, and decided otherwise.

Okay, I've uploaded two save files with the upload service. the planetfreakout2282.SAV one is my game right before the mayhem. the planetfreakout2286.SAV file is the game four years later, in the midst of the onslaught. I hope that helps. thanks again for all of the advice!
Old March 17, 2004, 20:53   #12
Zeiter
King

http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...eakout2282.SAV

---

http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...eakout2286.SAV
Old March 17, 2004, 21:17   #13
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 09:19
Holy crap, and I thought I had it bad with mindworm attacks!

At least you guys know that I'm not the only one who gets screwed over by Planet.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 17, 2004, 21:21   #14
Zeiter
King

Ya know what's funny? It kind of reminded me of the fall of the Roman Empire. The native life was kind of like the Germanic tribes and the Huns invading Europe. All of those secret projects being lost was kind of like some of the ancient learning and knowledge being lost after the fall of Rome. And it was kind of like the other factions and I were back in the "middle ages" of the game. I was small and weak again, and they had never gotten very strong. Interesting...

I probably would have been able to beat that game if I had stuck with it and given it my best. My heart just wasn't really in it after seeing all of my awesome size 18 bases vanish. Hey, maybe I should try to go back and beat that game. There's a challenge. Or maybe I could go back to the beginning of the mind worm invasion, and see if I could do better now with the info that I've learned here. I'd like to hear how other people do with the game, and see if they can withstand the onslaught.
Old March 18, 2004, 00:41   #15
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 15:19
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
major events can happen more than once
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeiter
About the volcano, funny thing happened. A volcano had already erupted about mid game when I wasn't experiencing any eco-damage or attack. I'm not quite sure why. I don't know if two volcanoes can erupt in the same game, can they? Well, there wasn't an eruption during the attacks.
I've experienced multiple volcano eruptions. Several games had two, at least one game had three. I've had two "Asteroid Strikes Base!" in some games, too (what a mess).
Old March 18, 2004, 01:08   #16
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I've only had one volcano ever erupt in my games (multiple games over time), but I've never had an asteroid hit my base!

That must suck the big one....
Old March 18, 2004, 01:29   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:19
An asteroid strike on my capital in a game many many years ago is what prompted me to play with random events off ever since.
Old March 18, 2004, 01:46   #18
Barinthus
King

Asteriods?!? That's one thing I've never experienced. I wonder what other random events are out there?
Old March 18, 2004, 03:11   #19
Frankychan
King

What does it do? Does it completely obliterate the base or just wipe out most of the population.
Old March 18, 2004, 03:17   #20
Plan9
Chieftain

It obliterates the base and leaves a new crater.

I found out the hard way.... NEVER build all your SPs in 1 base.

I think I read somewhere that the asteroid strike never hits an existing landmark (Mt.Planet, Mesa, Unity Crash Site etc.).
Old March 18, 2004, 04:06   #21
Frankychan
King

Holy friggin crap!

I'm glad that THAT's never happened to me before....
Old March 18, 2004, 05:01   #22
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I always play with random events on... and I'm kind of sad I never saw that one

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 18, 2004, 05:37   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:19
I was... mildly miffed...
Old March 18, 2004, 16:40   #24
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

I saw it at least a dozen times, not including a strange bug with repeated asteroid strikes.
Old March 20, 2004, 21:15   #25
SynthetGod8
Warlord

Not only does an asteroid obliterate every base within the new crater, but it makes all the land for quite a distance dry.
I've only ever seen it twice. Once it destroyed an Alien capitol and severly crippled them. hehe
Old March 21, 2004, 00:00   #26
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 15:19
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Ah, the thrills and chills of random events!
Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus
Asteriods?!? That's one thing I've never experienced. I wonder what other random events are out there?
See Random Events: Facilities and Secret Projects.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plan9
I think I read somewhere that the asteroid strike never hits an existing landmark (Mt.Planet, Mesa, Unity Crash Site etc.).
The asteroid always strikes a base, and always a base belonging to the Unsurpassed faction. It does not always strike the HQ or the largest base, although those seem to be the most frequently hit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Holy friggin crap!
I'm glad that THAT's never happened to me before....
Get Unsurpassed asap and stay there. You'll get 'Roided eventually
Old March 21, 2004, 00:57   #27
Plan9
Chieftain

Perhaps I should have chosen my words better:

I meant that if you absolutely have to concentrate most of your SP building in 1 base, it will be safe from asteroids if you do so in a base located on a natural landmark.
Old March 21, 2004, 08:54   #28
Barinthus
King

Re: Ah, the thrills and chills of random events!
Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj

See Random Events: Facilities and Secret Projects.
Many thanks! Great thread
Old March 21, 2004, 20:45   #29
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 14:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
Chaos theory has it right-- SAM artillery will just slam the locusts.

Also vev has the concept for ecodamage after committing atrocities. I have also done this for fun just to play with the worms but the reality is if you nerve gas more than a couple of times you will be eating worms. If you plan to nerve gas a LOT, you better have at least one artillery and one empath unit per base and preferably 2 to 3.

Putting drop pods on the artillery allows you to use fewer SAM units.

With drop, ensure your SAM artillery units are well postioned throughout your empire so they can reach every base. Once you get orbital insertion this should not be difficult. Before then, you have to ensure that every base has enough within 8 spaces.

Mead
Old March 21, 2004, 20:53   #30
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Drop SAM artillery would be nice, except units are limited to two special abilities...