Old March 17, 2004, 16:32   #31
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And furthermore I don't like being asked if I love a country or not. No I don't love countries. I mean, how should I love it, why? Is this a question that asks me what is my opinion about this country, how the heck am I supposed to have this opinion? It's such a super question, you can't answer that if you really think about it. Just the feeling you get, and say yes or no?

These polls are stupid IMO. Because these questions are super questions and can't be answered by rational people who think more than just 'Uh it make me feel good! Me like it!'.

Does it ask if I love Americans? How am I supposed to know that, I don't know them all. Some of them are nice and some are not nice. Impossible to answer.

These polls are based on feelings, not facts, and as they are like this, they are all BS and crap and piss and poo.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old March 17, 2004, 16:33   #32
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 19:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
DD, well it's like this. Americans loves the US. Other nationalities loves their countries. But I think often times Americans assume that others loves the US too. Why should they love it? The whole setting of this situation is so different, most often foreigners don't give a crap about other countries in a way that they'd love them at all. No one cares that much.
Perhaps you Finns are just content not caring about what goes on in the world, but I would hardly say that "most foreigners don't give a crap about other countries"
Old March 17, 2004, 16:37   #33
Pekka
Emperor

Well, I don't mean they wouldn't care AT ALL, but in this way, I bet majority just don't have a formed opinion. It is based on maybe the latest action of this country, or what ever movie they saw last. YOu know, it's not possible to answer if you think about it.

Let's put it like this then: let's ask 10 million Americans what they think of Finland. 9.9 million don't know anything about it. They most likely say 'sure yeah they're ok', because they don't know anything and Americans in general are polite like that and tend to give positive views if they are not sure. You see what I mean?

Sure the US is known in foreign countries, but how the hell would they form their opinions? " Yeah me likes coca cola"? "American movie good"? "American weapon kill peepl is bad!" you know? BS polls.
Old March 17, 2004, 16:42   #34
Yiff_Yiff_Yaoi
Settler

Yeah, America needs to mind its own damn business, just ask the African-American former slaves(who would be aboue 170 years old now) Don't ask 40's era France and Briton though, and you probably shouldn't ask Japan either. Definately ask Vietnam and North Korea (but don't ask South Korea) and just ask the Muslim Extremests (but don't ask the fundamentalists or pacifists) and you will get a unanimous vote! "AMERICANS ARE BIASED, RACISTS PIG-DOG IMPERIALIST OPPRESSORS WHO NEED TO MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS, GIVE MORE FOREIGN AID, AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE TOTALLY JUSTIFIED SUICIDE BOMBINGS"

Thusly Americans == Fagorts, Q.E.D.
Old March 17, 2004, 16:59   #35
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Do Americans care how the world views them, or thinks of them? I get the impression that they are mostly nice well mannerd people who might be alarmed at the thought of such world wide opinion?

I might be totaly wrong about this - which might make these kind of polls more depressing.
I care about how the world views Americans because I'm an individual, not a politican or a policymaker. I just want a world in which I am free to travel and enjoy/learn about other cultures first-hand.

It's a pain to be hated or despised for the actions of my government. Obviously, I would prefer that it wasn't like that. It's also a pain being hated or despised because I live in a rich country and have disposable income. That doesn't make me a bad guy! Negaitve perceptions of Americans based on our government's policies, world economics, Hollywood imagery, etc., is a prejudice I'll always have to deal with.

That said, my travel experiences have generally been good ones. I find when you meet people halfway -- learn a few words of their language, respect their culture, ask instead of order -- most are ready to ignore their distaste for Americans and treat you as the individual you are.

But it sure would be nice to feel safe when I travel. (sigh)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 17, 2004, 16:59   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Well, I don't mean they wouldn't care AT ALL, but in this way, I bet majority just don't have a formed opinion. It is based on maybe the latest action of this country, or what ever movie they saw last. YOu know, it's not possible to answer if you think about it.

Let's put it like this then: let's ask 10 million Americans what they think of Finland. 9.9 million don't know anything about it. They most likely say 'sure yeah they're ok', because they don't know anything and Americans in general are polite like that and tend to give positive views if they are not sure. You see what I mean?

Sure the US is known in foreign countries, but how the hell would they form their opinions? " Yeah me likes coca cola"? "American movie good"? "American weapon kill peepl is bad!" you know? BS polls.
Poly crashed as I tried posting, so heres a summary of my post:
-Americans probably dont have too many opinions about foreign nations save what CNN/Fox/etc tells them
-Perhaps Finns don't care what happens but during my travels, most people I've met do have formed opinions about issues
-I think you need to get out of your ignorant country more
Old March 17, 2004, 17:01   #37
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:20
Personally, it's not so much that I want other people to love my country, but rather that I'd prefer they didn't hate it so much that they: a) are willing to blow up our citizens; b) are willing to actively support those in a; or c) are willing to condone a & b.

By the way, I've a pretty good idea as to why people hate the U.S., and I'm not trying to get into that particular discussion. I just want to point out the difference between:

"Why do they hate us?"
and
"Hey, why don't you love us!? We rock!"

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:01   #38
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Well it is a simple heading, kinda disguising the true complexity of the issue(for me anyway ).

In our globaly aware world - i think is reasonable to ask such questions as they impact on all our lives.

In a way America is the world, its a huge melting pot of all people from all over the world that have at some point in the past when America was founded - decided to make a better place.

Thats what i look for in America - i want to see that ideal realised, because at the end of the day the only way we as human beings will last longer than the dinosaurs(even less will do!), is if we really all become as America is supposed to be.

I'm saddend that its not working out like that - saddend for us all

Its a rather pitiful dream maybe, definately idealised, but at the end of the day thats what America is supposed to be all about - fighting for freedom, justice, the benifit of mankind?

Make it so - its in your hands to do it, in fact its in all our hands to help in what ever way we can. Lets not live in a world of fear and darkness - it will be our doom.

God bless America, cause it blo*dy needs all the help it can get

In a Nutshell : as a liberalish person with tendancy to the left and right

when i think of America it is with sad trepidition.

when i think of Finland it is with friendly drink shareing.

just so you can see what i mean pekka
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:04   #39
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
Those of us who actually live in the country can.
Hence patriotism...
Old March 17, 2004, 17:05   #40
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
Definately ask Vietnam and North Korea
Believe it or not, the same survey shows that the US has an 80% positive image in Vietnam.

Quote:
My friend is married to a bolivian girl, who utterly hates America. She blames America for meddling in her countries affairs, and forcing the governments hand by threatening to pull out of investment etc .. The perception is, America uses its wealth to oppress the poor.
That's Bolivia, but the US seems most popular in those countries in Latin America where we have taken military action. Counterintuitive.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 17, 2004, 17:11   #41
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
That's why I find these polls stupid.
Well, I think this is at least moderately helpful as a political weapon. For instance, as recently as 2 years ago, the US enjoyed an 80% favorable image in Venezuela. So when Chavez rails against the US, it's probably reflecting more poorly on him than on the US.

A poll came out a couple of years ago saying that the US enjoyed some 70% favorable ratings in Iran. The pollsters received a death sentence, but the lie that the Iranian gov't's "death to the US" mantra and flag burning of the last 20 years had any negative impact on our image in Iran was exposed.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 17, 2004, 17:14   #42
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 12:20
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Americans think the world should love them all, and are angry the world does not-so in that sense they do not care.

Please do not speak for all Americans, there are around 300 million you realize...and they are not a bunch of sheep that think the same way.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:15   #43
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I think you need to get out of your ignorant country more
Those who think this country is ignorant is ignorant; heck, we all hate the French

I love America...
Old March 17, 2004, 17:17   #44
Pekka
Emperor

Tass, ignorant? I think you should get over yourself! I get out a lot, seen most countries you can't even spell I just don't see the point with these polls.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:18   #45
Pekka
Emperor

I just wanted to say I hate you all, I think your puny little countries sucks and I can't wait to control them so I can have you all SHOT.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:19   #46
Japher
Emperor

@Pekka for letting the secret out that the Finns are really plotting to take over the world... The Secret Police will be at your door shortly.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:19   #47
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:20
Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
Please do not speak for all Americans, there are around 300 million you realize...and they are not a bunch of sheep that think the same way.
"bunch of sheep"? What does that have to do with an extremely common American notion of themselves?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 17, 2004, 17:22   #48
Nubclear

Quote:
Tass, ignorant?
It's not my fault your a Finn
Old March 17, 2004, 17:23   #49
Pekka
Emperor

Japher, leave my country out of this, this is personal.

No but seriously. I think this is stupid.. and this happens in the human relations too, you know beauty contests. Building up pressures and what not. Acceptance and crap like that.

The poll shows America is loved 'Yaay!'. The poll shows America is not loved 'Booo!'. I mean, what's the point. When it comes to business relations, military alliances and country relations, I'm not saying you shouldn't know how your neighbour feels about you but this is just beauty contest, popularity contest and the reason why the fat girl felt miserable all the time in HS. It sucks, and I can't say anything more, except wait until it's my turn.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:24   #50
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Tass,

Its not our fault your a Mormon.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 17, 2004, 17:25   #51
Japher
Emperor

Mormons aren't allowed to form their own opinion so how can Tass have one? - Good point Ogie

How did a thread designed to troll for Americans end up hooking a Pekka?
Old March 17, 2004, 17:26   #52
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Mormons aren't allowed to form their own opinion so how can Tass have one? - Good point Ogie
I'm NOT Mormon
Old March 17, 2004, 17:28   #53
Pekka
Emperor

Japher, I can troll if I want to. I have power.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:29   #54
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
How did a thread designed to troll for Americans end up hooking a Pekka?
Pekka has been ultra reasonable lately.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 17, 2004, 17:31   #55
Pekka
Emperor

No I'm not saying US bad US good, I'm not saying anything. I'm saying these polls are stupid, only thing they can do is actually form opinions 'so we hate France now?' or something like that. They serve no real purpose and they are all false, and the poll makers should be shot to death until they die. That's what I wanted to say, nothing to do with the countries themselves you know I like the US in general.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:31   #56
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I'm NOT Mormon
Of course dear. You live in Utah after all.
Old March 17, 2004, 17:33   #57
Nubclear

Only because its a nice, safe, quiet place to live.
Salt Lake
Logan
Old March 17, 2004, 17:33   #58
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They should legalize polygamy again.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 17, 2004, 17:33   #59
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Keep telling yourself that.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 17, 2004, 17:34   #60
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I'm NOT Mormon

AFAIK Americans concern themselves with other countries view of them because many feel like they do so much for other countries because of Sally Struthers peddled BS. Foreign aide, involvement, and buisness is a big handout given by the US, more than any other country. Our neighbors are from other countries, our coworkers are on green cards, and our friends hand out the INS waiting for those idiots to "find their file". The last thing we want to think is that these people, are family, friends, and coworkers, hate us because their country does.

America feels it gives so much to the world, then when you hear them say we don't want it, we never wanted it (especially when you remember them specificly asking for it) and we now hate you for it, it really confuses us. And, since we are really bad at fixing our mistakes we just say "you don't know whats good for you, take it!"

Then a civil war erupts, people die, the UN steps in F's it up, says they did a good job, gives France and Germany the credit, and waits 10 years for it to fall apart again.

See! Perfect harmony.