Old March 23, 2004, 00:39   #31
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Captain Sankis, everything seems alright to me.

King Geo, the turn is yours
Old March 23, 2004, 00:50   #32
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
Ok, I think the story may go into your hands now. Some remarks about events for compatibility of the story:

- As you know, all crew apart from maybe 20 people should leave “Unity” within three hours. Time of flight of landing pods (colony pods?) is up to you.
- Santiago has her cryosleep complications – she is not revived in first wakeup. Miriam the same, was she able to reach emergency cryocell before deceleration large g force killed her outside the cell? Deceleration lasted for days – many g. Only people in cryocells could survive – no exceptions. Morgan was indicated dead by onboard ship computer, if he is going to live – computer error?
- Only up to 20 people can live for possibly several months (?) of long orbit – consumables – oxygen, food, fuel for power generation, including maybe energy for remaining cryocells with still sleeping people (sleeping maybe more than 20 people then). Remember that most modules crucial for long travel were jettisoned to maximally limit the “Unity” mass for the deceleration.
- Ship’s hull is too much stressed. The attempt to enter Chiron orbit when the ship returns on long orbit near the Chiron ends in “Unity” crash on the planet. Who’s inside? Who survives? It is up to you.
- Last: my own thought. Initially during the flight, the crew is one crew, they cooperate. They may not like each other, but they cooperate. They do not quarrel heavily from the very beginning, the tension, I think, should increase gradually. Maybe after the landing, when the captain Garland is dead some people, happens that they are future faction leaders, start to feel they may lead humanity… You know the rest I think it may be good for the story, but it is completely up to you.

If I had more time I would write better story. It could be longer maybe - If you see anything fitting there, I mean in the arrival chapter, please write that. Of course I mean here anything before part 5, coz you will end chapter "Arrival"
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 12:43   #33
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Provoost Rubin, start up your labs, please. Haven't noticed differences for my growth, production or lab output compared with the previous save.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
GeoModder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 15:25   #34
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Naval Clash, the story
Naval Clash

Chapter One - Arrival

(Part 6)

Gwynn Elevea woke up in a cacafony of movement and sound.
Her cryocel, located halfway Cryobay 5, finished the wake-up procedure and the lit was opened by a crew member she didn't recognized.
"What's..." she tried to say.
"No time", the crewman responded. "Get out of the cel, take your goods and report to Doctor Rubin for procedure 2 emergency evacuation."
"But..." she croaked, but to no avail. the crewman hurried off to the next cryocel, the one of Geo, her partner.

She stood up, and approached the cel just when the crewman yelled: "damn, another one!!"
"Another one?", she thought, and then saw the orange LED's blinking on the control panel of the cryocel.
"O no, what is going on!", she murmured, and took a closer look at the celstatus.
"Poor guy", the crewman next to her said, indicating the status screen.
"He could walk out of here without problem if only the emergency wake-up module wasn't broken."
"Well, what stops you then to start the normal procedure then?" asked Elevea bewildered.
"No time, pod is leaving within two hours, normal procedure needs six." said the crewman.

And off he went...

15 minutes later, Gwynn found doctor Rubin, head of the scientific staff.
"Doctor Rubin", she said, "I want..."
"No time, miss Elevea!" the doctor responded.
"Take your belongings, and move to pod 3."
"But Geo..." she responded.
"Geo?", asked the doctor. "O yes, your friend the mechanic."
Doctor Rubin checked his portable and said: "Sorry, we can't load him, there are more important people to bring down, Lal and his surviving staff, for instance..."
"No... way, doctor, I won't... won't leave him behind", Gwynn told Rubin.
"Dammit, woman, you're going to die if you stay here." Rubin glared at Gwynn.
"Now, gather your personal belongings and report to the pod."
Gwynn looked hard to doctor Rubin. "No!", she said. "I won't!"
"You're far to important to leave behind, Elevea, you will go down, and that's final."
Gwynn took a last look at doctor Rubin, took her luggage, turned and walked away.

Commander Yang, Lt commander Sankis and Doctor Rubin held a meeting in the auxiliary bridge.

"Report!" Yang told to Sankis and Rubin.
Rubin spoke up: "5792 people are loaded in the six remaining pods, commander."
He looked down and checked his portable "202 cryobeds with critical personnel as well, maximum allowed mass is reached."
Yang stared to him. "All revived crew members went in the pods, doctor?", he asked.
Rubin looked in Yang's eyes, and shuddered lightly. The man always made him nervous.
"No, commander." He said, "A few colonists refused to board for they didn't want to leave their relatives."
Sankis spoke up: "I noticed that you let Commisioner Lal's cryobed be loaded as well, doctor Rubin."
Rubin turned to Sankis. "True, he is among the critical personnel I mentioned, Lt commander Sankis."
"He's in critical condition, doctor.", barked Yang.
"In fact, that half dozen of colonists refusing have more value then one critical injured man, they must be brought onboard and commissioner Lal's cryobed removed."
Rubin glared at Yang: "They have decided for themself!", and after a look from Yang added: "Commander."
Sankis wanted to add something but Yang stopped him with a hand gesture.
"End of discussion, doctor, those people will go down and Lal stays behind. That is an order."
Rubin stared right to Yang: "Commander..."
"Dismissed, doctor. Execute my orders.", told Yang.
Rubin turned and left the bridge.

Yang looked after him, then turned to Sankis. "All pods are ready for launch, Lt commander?"
Sankis stood straight: "Yes, commander, the pods are checked and ready for landing."
"And how's the ships status, Lt commander?", asked Yang.
"Better then I initially thought, commander. It is in an elongated orbit around Chiron, aphelium about a million kilometers, perihelium around seven hundred.", Sankis responded.
"I programmed the ship computer to ensure that it won't crash on the planet by it's return. There is enough fuel left for that.", added Sankis.
"Good." Said Yang, "Can be usefull later when we can reach orbit again."

Yang checked his portable.
"Lt commander, you take pod 1, and tell engineer Aeolus to bring pod 2 down."
"I'll inform biologist Skye and Chief Santiago what pods to command, I believe doctor Rubin is already aware what his pod is."
Sankis directed a questioning look at Yang.
Yang smiled: "Doctor Rubin will off course take the pod with the research equipment, Lt commander."
Sankis nodded. "Good that Chief Santiago reached her cryobed in time, commander." "Unlike Godwinson", he thought.
"Yes.", answered Yang. "End of meeting, we leave the Unity in half an hour. See you back on surface, Lt commander."

to be continued...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 23, 2004, 15:53   #35
Barinthus
King

I copied all stories onto a word document so I could print them out in order to read them to see if I can come up with something... already 10 pages

Just in case someone would like a copy to read while going to the loo or whatever, here it is...

Mmmm I can't seem to find a way to attach the file so if you want one, just let me know and I can email it to you.
Old March 23, 2004, 15:56   #36
Barinthus
King

Weird, when I edited my last posting there was no attachment field. Now there is one here...

so here's the file.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip naval clash.zip (11.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Barinthus; March 24, 2004 at 02:22.
Barinthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 20:43   #37
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

2102 to Sankis.

The setup seems correct now. Thanks, mart7x5! Wonderful story!

DataAeolus: Can you make the document available as a zip file? I usually have problems accessing most files, but zip-files.
Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 22:23   #38
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:22
2102 sent to Angels.

And yes, nice stories i'd write my own but I don't want to ruin the thing you two have going.
Sankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 22:42   #39
GeoModder
Deity

Oh, Lt commander Sankis is on his own now. I just sent him to his pod. You can take over from there. Just keep Santiago, Lal and the "Unity" in my hands, the rest is free for writing.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 23, 2004, 22:58   #40
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

The map has the "Unity" wreckage, so whatever you plan i think it would be better to crash it somewhere near first or second year after planetfall, just to have explanation for the ship on the planet.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2004, 00:56   #41
GeoModder
Deity

Off course, I'm not trying to ruin your map
Just trying to tell a plausible way to make Elevea a queen :mystery:

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 24, 2004, 02:17   #42
Barinthus
King

and sure, no problem Rubin. (EDIT: It's done now)

By the way, King Geo, it's your turn.

Last edited by Barinthus; March 24, 2004 at 02:23.
Barinthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2004, 04:46   #43
GeoModder
Deity

Thank you, Data...

Received, played and sent.

Doctor Rubin, your attention for this experiment please...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 24, 2004, 07:40   #44
Rubin
staff

2103 to Captain Sankis.
Old March 24, 2004, 09:20   #45
Rubin
staff

Intermezzo - Arrival
Good

She is perfect! Well trained, moving delicately... Still, strong and fit. What a figure to behold. Survival... of the fittest. [click] Huh? I'm sure she has a name. What is this? Red!? A heart? No, no! Corazon, Corazon Santiago... [click] A body. A female pulse. Inciting.

morning

M...? I...? He is so tall. Strong. A sensation of... inferiority... [click] WHAT?!? A primitive reaction... He is no threat... a close friend--I think. [click] M... I... M.I.? Golden towers; a cornucopia?

Doctor Rubin

[click] Yes, that's me. Scientific officer. Where? The last hope. No, can't be! Where was this? [click] A spaceship. Mmmm, the explorer of our time. M.I.? It can succeed; provided a habitable destination. This is a... [click]

automated... cryosleep

The mission!!! Of course! The officer crew. My friend, Nwabudike Morgan! Commander Sheng-ji Yang; U.N. Commissioner Pravin Lal. [click] I'm having sensations. Odd! Drugs? I'm conscious--it seems... No, no, this has happened before. I'm sure it... [click]

repeat

"Information before the senses"? I'm receiving information. Data. Poor Yang. He is a brilliant thinker--alas, so many ideas remain without depth. [click] Stream of thought? I never think like this! This is an alternate state of... mind? Primitive? [click] Yang believes in data before the senses. In its simplest form he may have a valid point. Senses and data before the senses. But our senses are contingent!?! Arbitrary! No, Yang! It is data and concepts! [click] Images? Inner voice? Highly unusual. Maybe there is something wrong? [click] The mind fundamentally works via concepts--not senses. You cannot take control of concepts... Concepts are the universe and data are ordered into stars and galaxies, so to speak, Yang! You need a telescope to 'see' the stars; but you cannot 'see' the universe itself. It is. Simply... is! Concepts are! They may differ radically--but they are the most fundamental prerequisite to consciousness. They are consciousness! Senses? No, they are crude means of information retrieval! I said this before and I'll repeat again...

[click] Thirty? Thirty years? ... Cryosleep? I've been asleep!!! Hmm, for thirty years... I usually think--not in words, images or sounds--abstractly! Like the chess player is only hindered by images of the chess board; abstract conceptual thinking is the direct access to the mind. I am dreaming... or waking up. That's it! A primitive, alternate state of consciousness. Of course. That explains it! I'm slowly regaining consciousness. [click]

seconds

M.I.? Of course, Morgan Industries! The financial backbone of the U.N.S. Unity mission--or 'The Last Hope' as Morgan would refer to it. Haha! Primitive thinking is amuzing at times. [click] WAIT!!! Seconds?!? Something is wrong! [click]

Good morning, Doctor Rubin. This is an automated, pre-recorded emergency cryosleep wake-up message. This message will repeat in 30 seconds.

---

Doctor Rubin, Chief Scientific Officer (U.N.S. Mental Activity Log)
Old March 24, 2004, 16:26   #46
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

2103 turn sent to Angels.

Edit: In the RP story, Sankis is in one of the escape pods that haven't launched, yes? I might write something up if I have time.

Last edited by Sankis; March 24, 2004 at 16:34.
Old March 24, 2004, 18:26   #47
Barinthus
King

From what I understood, there're two pods left.

Aeolus' prepping up the pod #2 to be ready once Unity's in the range for landing pods, correct?

I wonder if he'll be like Star Trek's Scotty, all forgotten?
Old March 24, 2004, 19:47   #48
GeoModder
Deity

Sankis and Aeolus (and Rubin as well, actually)

ALL pods were to be launched simultaneously, since this 3 hour interval was the MAXIMUM time available before Chiron was out or reach again. 6 pods were undamaged thus capable to launch. I suppose if you want to write a Unity story, you have to be quick, because after the meeting between Yang, Sankis and Rubin only half an hour is left before Chiron is to far away.

Again, leave Santiago, Lal and Elevea to me

Perhaps for Sankis some troube on the way down so he must land on sea instead of proper land?

If you still want to write an earlier Unity tale, it should be in retrospect, like Rubin's post.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 24, 2004, 20:14   #49
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

I'm assuming the "ride down" to chiron on the pods takes a few hours or days(?) so I think i'll write a story during that, when it happens and if I have time. The people in the pod's arn't in cryosleep, are they?
Old March 24, 2004, 20:52   #50
Barinthus
King

Ugh unfortunately I'm very busy IRL and my creative juices are not exactly flowing. I probably will do something in retroscept later on. After all I need to come up with some reason on how Aeolus, an engineer, became a leader.
Old March 25, 2004, 04:48   #51
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sankis
I'm assuming the "ride down" to chiron on the pods takes a few hours or days(?) so I think i'll write a story during that, when it happens and if I have time. The people in the pod's arn't in cryosleep, are they?
No, except for the ones brought onboard in cryo.
The rest just has to sit out the ride. I suppose the ride down shouldn't take more then a day. After all, the Unity is supposed to have decelerated enough and be close enough for an easy 'transit'.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 25, 2004, 04:55   #52
Barinthus
King

King Geo, there are decisions to be made awaiting you.
Old March 25, 2004, 12:11   #53
GeoModder
Deity

No Aeolus, there ain't. You sent me the wrong save.

I received 2102, not 2103. And when I open that save, I see the previous turn.

Probe error?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 26, 2004, 11:29   #54
Barinthus
King

Perhaps!

Anyway here's the zip file you requested, Geo.

If it's still wrong, I might will have to redo my turn?
Attached Files:
File Type: zip naval_clash_geo_2103.zip (36.3 KB, 3 views)
Old March 26, 2004, 12:08   #55
GeoModder
Deity

Turn played, all was ok, DataAeolus.

Rubin, 2103 is all yours...

Edit:

O yes, sunday and monday all day offline. The soonest I can play on is tuesday morning.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 26, 2004, 15:23   #56
Rubin
staff

2104 to Sankis. Attached save file.

(Edit: Attachment deleted.)

Last edited by Rubin; April 18, 2004 at 02:20.
Old March 26, 2004, 18:22   #57
Sankis
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

forgot to mention i sent the file to Aeolus.

Also, i'll probably be a bit busy too over the weekend so it works out fine. I'll also try to do a RP story involving Sankis in the pod or something over the weekend.
Old March 26, 2004, 20:21   #58
Barinthus
King

King Geo, your advisors are waiting for you.
Old March 27, 2004, 17:31   #59
GeoModder
Deity

/me calls the council together, and let Elevea chair it...

After all, she's more popular then me

Provoost Rubin, may the experiments be with you.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 27, 2004, 17:41   #60
Rubin
staff

To Sankis.

(Edit: Attachment deleted.)

Last edited by Rubin; April 18, 2004 at 02:21.