Old March 19, 2004, 14:55   #1
ChristopherC
Warlord

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Using the option of running...
automatically the first 100-150 turns in a new game? Which, I understand, is one of the opening options for starting a new game. I have question about this which I outline below. Responses, please?

I would like to say here however that, as people who regularly read these threads know, I am a regular contributor to them who is soooo frustrated with this game, comparing it as it is with what it could be.

Anyway, actually I have two questions. But the first one is about Diplomacy. I have played the game with and without two Diplo MODs which are available on the MODs site but with or without the Diplo MODs a race with which I have made a full defensive alliance keeps making secret armistices with my mortal enemy behind my back! Is this just to be expected with this game? Have you just gotta expecting backstabbing even when you think you have made a strong alliance, which you yourself faithfully keep? I have a feeling that with most games in this genre you have similarly fickle allies though Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire gave you this marvellous scenario editor whereby, amongst other things, you could fix your alliances and enemies beforehand.

Some one has thoughtfully tried with a MOD to give a scenario editor for saved MOO3 games with which you can tinker but the read-me seems to make it rather finickiy and fragile - for instance, there seems to be one particular requirement that every star system is connected at some point to every other by a series of starlanes! I dont see how that requirement can be possibly fulfilled! Has anyone ever successfully or unsuccessfully used the MOO3 scenario editor with a saved game. I would be verrry, verrry interested to learn of their experiences.

The human race is definitely disadvantaged in comparison with other alien races, as I have noted elsewhere, but there is a program in the MOO3 MODs by which you can act extra points to the race of your choice, in this case, it would for me be the humans, being humano-centric!

So, my second and all important question is this: I have a 2200 MHZ processor with 512 Meg ram. If I allowed the game to run automatically, does anyone have any idea how long it would take to reach 100 or 150 turns. Has anyone ever tried it? I am sorely tempted, you see, to give the humans the additional points and see what would happen after letting the game run for some such number of turns. Now I wouldnt mind running my computer for several hours or even overnight if necessary but would it take that long or would it take even longer? It certainly takes long enough to make a turn even on my relatively powerful computer when I have reached seveal hundred turns into the game. If it would take days to run the game automatically obviously it wouldnt be worth trying.

Thanks in advance for any advice and observations, fellow star emperorrs, and, as always, I wish you the standard Vulcan saying of 'Live long and prosper.'
ChristopherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2004, 18:39   #2
Stormhound
Prince

Local Time: 14:26
To autorun 100-150 turns will take several hours, at least. It depends in part upon how the game itself plays, because if the empires get into lots of wars it'll slow things down.

The bit about starlanes is that every star system (excluding black holes and neutron stars) must be *reachable* from every other such system by a chain of one *or more* star lanes. So two jumps or twenty is fine, just so long as you can get there. The computer can't deal with disconnected systems.

Your opponents are, by and large, a bunch of selfish, backstabbing jerks. And it only gets worse if they're computer players.

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2004, 22:06   #3
ChristopherC
Warlord

Good to hear from you Stormhound! Hope you are doing okay?

I am now 720 plus turns into my latest game and not every star has a star lane to every other star, by however many jumpsm, so I dont see how you can use this scenario editor, at all!

Any decent game has or should have a scenario editor (like SMACX had, including for diplomacy) though and this is one thing which really pappas me off about MOO3, even though I am still playing it! But I am getting closer and closer to giving up on it and trying out another of the space strategy games gathering dust on my shelf such as Haegemonia, Imperium Galactica II or Conquest: Frontier Wars! There is a limit to even my enthuisiasm to try and make MOO3 play well.

Yes, most AI players in most games of this genre are backstabbing jerks but I seem to remember one, was it called 'Ascendency', where the program notes made a point of saying that in this game allies stay allies if you dont stab them in the back! It had serious faults in other directions - you couldnt build fleets - but I gave it full marks for that feature!

Several hours autorun is fine by me. Many thanks for the information, Stormhound. Most useful to know. I might try that. I could run it over night. But if I try a new game I will make use of the MOD which will hopefully allow me to award a few more points to the humans. They sorely need them! I am fed up as a humanoid of playing second fiddle to these alien races no matter how careful I am in my strategy!

Maybe the MODs will give me a bit more balance but at the moment, having added several MODs, over the course of the the game, I am facing that usual predicament of having to defend a star system with 300 carefully conserved ships against an invasion of 1000! This really pappas me off! I have enough stress in my life at the moment without having to suddenly face this! It seems to me more thought ought to have gone into play balance in this game which at least one of the MODs says it addresses! We shall see.

Anyway, good to hear from you and thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply, Stormhound.

Live long and prosper.
Old March 21, 2004, 22:15   #4
Stormhound
Prince

I'm okay...and my new career as a mail carrier is off to a decent start.

I don't know anything about the scenario editor you mention; I agree it would've been nice to have one in the game, but I expect it was one of those "we don't have time for this" type of things.

And about the invasion...hey, ships happen.

Old March 22, 2004, 16:36   #5
ChristopherC
Warlord

'Shi*s happen!' Indeed they do! :(
Mail carrier? I dunno. I think you deserve better, Stormhound, and I shall pray to the Lord you find it. You have been unavailingly helpful to me over MOO3. God bless you.

I will fight with pistols at ten paces anyone who disagrees that SMACX wasnt the perfect template for a game. It had the patches and then the expansion pack with scenario editor in which it was easy to change any detail you liked, including keeping your allies your allies! A feature notably lacking in MOO3! Perfect template for a space strategy game to which I hope to return one day.

Some player once said that 'the suits had taken over the genre'. Is that true? Well, if there are any 'suits' out there let me tell them there is money to be made in a commitment to a game over a year or two with patches and an archive of MODs (fortunately, lovers of the game have provided that out of their own efforts and I have used them to significantly enhance the game) and, say, an equivalent to the the SMACX expansion pack. All this SMACX had which made it one of the all time space classics. And it made money! MOO3 could do the same and, I feel, also make money. Go research it. I just cant believe that the 4X space strategy genre could ever be saturated if another good game came long or a present one was continually refined! It is an article of faith with me.

As it is, Stormhound, I am still convalescing from a heart attack I had at Christmas. Do you think there is some one I can sue some one for endangering my health in playing this game - I mean I build up a fleet very carefully and methodically of 200 Terran ships for a vital frontier system and find the perfidious aliens can just show up with a 3,000 anytime they like! And my allies then default on me! This is causing me unnecessary stress in my presently delicate state of health! Why isnt there a warning on the packet that such things can happen?

Have a great year, Stormhound, and thanks again for all your sterling advice. I think when I have been trounced in my present game, as surely I must, facing massive enemy fleets and unreliable allies, I will try the auto-run for 150 turns, overnight, though I will make sure the Terrans, with one of the MODs giving them hopefully some more points, have a bit more chance of winning!

I dont mind a fair battle, Stormhound, but when 3,000 enemy shi*s happen, to use your phrase, and I have only a few hundred, Terran ships painstakingly built with with to confront them and which will obviously go down in certain defeat. I get more than a bit frustrated and that isnt at all good for my heart in its present condition!

Live long and prosper.
Old March 23, 2004, 03:36   #6
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 22:26
Hehe :-) I'll allow myself to give you an advice :-) Always be ready and expect anything. This way you won't be surprised.

Indeed these are the bad news about the 3000 enemies. The good news is that all of them cannot attack you simultaneously. Each attack is limitedto certain amount of task forces and each of them has limited amount of ships (18 max). I think that at most 180 attacking ships can torment you each turn. Then you have one turn to prepare for the next 180 ships, and so on ....
Old March 23, 2004, 16:53   #7
ChristopherC
Warlord

Hey, always nice to hear from you, Bakalov, as it is from Stormhound.

Thanks for the attempt to console me but do you know of the Russian saying that 'quantity has a quality all of its own.' In a few recent moves, I have lost two fleets of over 400 plus carefully conserved ships through these massive alien attacks. The game just isnt a level playing surface for the human race but I may try this MOD which gives you extra points to dole out to your favoured side.

MOO3 is soooooo frustrating. I actually think most of the interfaces, with MOD enhancements, are quite good and well thought out. I love the sociologicaly and engineering sophistication of the colony building, the endless improvements you can make. I am more of a builder than a warlord!

But the obvious lack of balance in the game, when you play Terran, is (pardon my French) soooo bloody frustrating that it just spoils it. It becomes an exercise in masochism and gradual failure if you choose to play human, though, at the same time, it can be construed as an interesting challenge, as some one on these threads has observed.

I was never one to condemn MOO3 out of hand. If only they had worked on smartening up the interfaces, thankfully the MODs have helped, and getting the game balance right, maybe making the battle scenes a bit more exciting and giving you a scenario editor including for diplomacy as they did in SMACX, this could have been an absolute classic, just like its predecessor! Why couldnt they go those extra few miles? They would still have made their profits! Yes, a computer games company has to make profits but they should, within reason, let their designers design the games with care and love and attention. That will bring its due rewards.

This genre should really be maturing, as home computers become more powerful, and I do firmly believe, it will remain a popular one, but neither game makers or the marketers are investing enough in it, why? For instance, why did the developers of 'Galaxy Andromeda' pull out when it was so near completion? That was so frustrating for many of us! Why didnt they take what I would have regarded as a justified risk? Isnt that what marketing is all about?

Basically, I was born about fifty years too early. Fifty years from now, assuming, there is still a flourishing Western civilisation, (a big If, of course) I could imagine I could simply utter voice commands to my highly AI computer to tailor the perfect space strategy game for me, ab initio (from the beginning). Though I guess the perfect space strategy game is like the Holy Grail. Probably unobtainable but you can stop searching for it!

Live long and prosper.
Old March 24, 2004, 04:08   #8
bakalov
Prince

Hehe I never played with humans, but it may be interesting to try ... I wonder if I customize a race based on them, what it would look like? I'll give it a try and then I'll post the results here.
Old March 24, 2004, 04:11   #9
bakalov
Prince

And of course, you are right about MOO3 and the 4X Space strategy genre. I hope we'll live long enough to see something really good ;-)
Old March 24, 2004, 14:28   #10
ChristopherC
Warlord

I am 49, Bakalov, and have recently had a heart attack, so I do not expect either to see humans beings walk upon Mars, in this incarnation at least, or to experience the nearly perfect Space Strategy game. (Unless they decide to revamp Alpha Centauri 3D with all those lovely features such as a comprehensive scenario editor.) If you are under 25 you may live that long, Bakalov. Long life to to you!

As for the human race, they are terribly disadvantaged under the present dispensation under MOO3, no doubt about it! There is a MOD on the MOO3 Mods site which gives you an extra 550 points to dispense to the race you are going to play. I think one will need every point if one chooses the Humans. I may try it out.

My present idea, unless I succumb to death (which God forbid!I havent played enough space strategy gaming yet!) or turn to Haegemonia or Conquest: Frontier Wars. which are gathering dust on my shelf, is to fight my present game of MOO3 until I must inevitably abdicate as emperor in the hopelessness of a massive invasion of my home system and then try the recommendation of Stormhound, to run the game overnight for 150 turns - he says such an autorun could take several hours - having giving the Terrans the extra points they so badly need, if they are to have the remotest of chances of coming out on top. Will that make a difference to the game, I dont know? But to me MOO3 is presently like the Mona Lisa, half-finished! But if it hadnt been for underlying, sophisticated conception of this game of colonisation and conquest and the MOD-ers, God bless them, I would have given up on this game ages age.

Live long and prospser.
Old March 25, 2004, 05:14   #11
bakalov
Prince

Sure. I wish you luck with the new games. And be careful about your health - less emotions, more thinking. I'll pray for you too ...
Old March 25, 2004, 15:47   #12
ChristopherC
Warlord

Many thanks for your prayers, Bakalov. I will reciprocate. I am doing okay now after a long haul, thank the Lord, and hope to go back to work in the not too distant future. In the meantime, with all the various MODs for MOO3 I have been hypnotised into working out whether a medley of them would really make this a classicalgame. Looking for the Grail, I suppose?

Amazingly, though, I guess I have been really lucky, but most of the MODs seem to mesh with each other, thank the patron saint of computers and computer games, Ste. Claire.

I use a lot of thought in this game, indeed it helps to keep me intellectually alert, but the Bood Pressure raising emotions only come into play when strategy seems of no avail when playing the humans!

Forget about winning playing the humans, Bakalov, unless you are the Einstein of playing this genre! This game is loaded against them except, as I said, there is a MOD at MoO3 MODs com which gives you extra points to add to the race of your choice. I may try that out. You need every one of them, if you choose to be hu-man!

This game is, IMHO, not very well balanced. That is a piece of English understatement, btw.

Look at my thread on Jazkal's OptimistMod - alpha v.5. Very interesting MOD which promises to gave you more time to build up an empire before you face the baddies! There is no read-me, though! So when I added, the text docs to the spreadsheets directory I got an DirectX error! I just had to pull the plug literally and hope that MS would forgive me! A real BP raising event! Almost tantamount as to when I spilled a cup of coffee near my machine! Fortunately, a moderater at the MoO3 MODs site has given me an address to which to write.

What is it with this DirectX error? I keep hearing about it but fortunately have only ever suffered it a couple of times?

I keep staying hooked on this game, Bakalov,
because there are so many features which are soooo sophisticated, notably the economic, sociological te technological development of the colonies development of colonies! If only the designers and marketers had gone that extra mile, or two, we wouldnt have to rely on MOD-ers to make this game a classic.

Live long and prosper, my friend.
Old March 30, 2004, 03:30   #13
bakalov
Prince

10x Cristopher :-)
As I promised I made a custom setup for humans and here it is:

Bioharvesting - Poor
Mining - Superior
Manufacturing - Superior
Research - Average
Trade - Poor
Environmental - Good
Accuracy - Poor
Reflexes - Poor
Toughness - Poor
Government - Absolutist (Despotism)
Member - Random
Citizenship - Liberty
Minreal Richness - Poor
Biodiversity - Similar
Cunning - Slow
Creativity - Normal
Natural Engineers: no
Tolerant: yes
Empatic: no
Antaran background: no

If I had more points I would boost Research and Creativity.
BTW the perfect race for this playstyle can be made from the Eoladi - I think that Creativity will go to Original, Environmental to Superior and Research to Good, Government to Hive. Mining will go down to good.

Anyway I think that humans will do fine with this setup, if they use specialized planets - Rich and Very rich for mining and may be research on the plains, Diverse for bioharvesting and the Moderate gravity for Manufacturing.

Never put an industry dea on a mining planet - just mining and research - this way it will have great output from the start. Mining and research deas require only small amount of pop to operate.

Build a single govt dea on the production planets. Mines on the mountains at the beginning, you can change them for more industry later.

You should have one military and one recreation in each system, may be even 2 military, but preferably on an unimportant planets.

In the beginning just colonize - the more the better, get all of the good planets around, including those with magnate races and forced labour source (I use setting of 3 on the forced labour scale).

At a certain point of the game use the planets with the largest income to overflow their banks by spending only 1% for a particular need. When their banks go high enough they will start to give to the treasury - very nice feature. This way you can set your imperial and system tax to 0. All planet taxes can be raised quite high this way and you wont have any collapsing planets.
I try to play with 0% system and 1 or 2 % imperial tax from the beginning in spite of the warnings I am receiving. 30+ % planet taxes at the same time.
Old March 30, 2004, 15:18   #14
ChristopherC
Warlord

Many thanks for the suggestion, Bakalov.

But how do I apply this?

I am thinking of using a fan MOD which gives me 550 points for a race of my choice - my own human race, of course!

There is another MOD by Jazkal whom I just cant get send me a read-me file on his MOD, or get anyone else give me an idea how to use it, which advertises that it lets your empire grow stronger before you have to engage in conflict and competititon.

Oh, btw, I have just added another thread, 'the case of the disappearing starmap'. Maybe it is a question of too many MODs I have applied or the game has just got too big for my reasonably powerful computer but on several turns now I have got a blank starmap! Admittedly, I have pushed my luck with all the MODs I have added, most of which have thankfully meshed until now.

Anyway, thanks for all the effort you have put into your reply to me, Bakalov, of which I will take note.

I keep saying I will leave this game for Haegemonia but I keep playing it though I know I am on a losing streak because my main opponent, a machine culture, is just too powerful and there is no hope of a balanced rivalry anymore, but then with the way this game seems so unbalanded I doubt if ever there was!

But, there is a still a great game in MOO3 waiting to get out, if you just find the right MODs to apply. Seems to me like a lifetime's work, though!

Like I said, forty or fifty years from now I could just give a voice command to my home computer, or AI, as it will they will be then, and it would tailor me a great space strategy game.

Pity I will be dead. But maybe we come back? Or maybe the perfect space strategy game can only be played, to paraphrase the philosopher Plato, 'not here, not here, but in another world.'

Live long and prosper.
Old March 30, 2004, 15:28   #15
ChristopherC
Warlord

PS - Gotta admit, Bakalov...
re-reading your detailed suggestions, and once again I appreciate the thoughfulness which has gone into them, I let the AI governors do their work on the planets I find to colonise. I like doing a fair bit of micro-management on the production lines but even I have my limits!

I dont know why I try to be a space emperor. I really am not very good at it. The only game I ever consistently won at was Alpha-Centauri/Alien Crossfire and that was because it had a scenario editor which would allow me start with more colonies than anyone else!

And I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER could fight as an alien species. (Though you have definite advantages in playing the aliens in MOO3, it seems to me. They always seem to outpace human expansion and production. I just dont think this game was play-tested enough to be properly balanced, even at the easiest level!) It seems like an act of species betrayal! Though in another space strategy game I rather liked, for all its faults, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, one fellow player confessed he liked destroying 'human scum'!

I have always as a human space emperor preferred to live and let live or, if necessary, teach those pesky aliens a lesson! Trying not to enjoy that too much when I did!

Ciao, pal.
Old March 31, 2004, 02:58   #16
bakalov
Prince

I think Micro is important in the early game when you do not have so much planets, so its not so frustrating. Placing the DEAs on the newly colonized/captured worlds is a one time operation - and even find it interesting :-) . If you let the AI do this then it can put a completely inappropriate DEA on a fine special for example. The bad thing about the AI is that it tries to satisfy the current needs but its decisions seem to be useless in the long run. I think that once the DEAs are marked it goes OK.

Besides the thing about the overflowing of the richest planets treasuries - if you set the spending to 1% the AI will let it be such for certain amount of time and then will change it. (I hate it about this). I have a game where by overflowing of the top 20 of my planets nets me ~15M AU each turn, so I do not need any system or imperial taxes.

I like playing human too :-) I always did in MOO2 - the picks there were equal for everyone.
The good things in MOO3 is that the humans do not have natural enemies besides the Ithkul (or am I wrong?) By natural enemies I mean such that declare war on you from first sight.

By my observations the diplomacy system works as follows: The aliens will be peaceful to you while you are big as much as they are. If you are much smaller or much bigger then they will tend to declare wars. You should try to make so that the reason for the war is the second :-) When you are bigger then you probably will be able to win the war ...

And may be it is better to play more slowly, and to win and become a space emperor :-)
Old March 31, 2004, 05:34   #17
Anguille2
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherC

This genre should really be maturing, as home computers become more powerful, and I do firmly believe, it will remain a popular one, but neither game makers or the marketers are investing enough in it, why? For instance, why did the developers of 'Galaxy Andromeda' pull out when it was so near completion? That was so frustrating for many of us! Why didnt they take what I would have regarded as a justified risk? Isnt that what marketing is all about?
They were not funded anymore....HOWEVER!!! I have good news for you, the game will be released with a new publisher. The Game has a new name: Nexus.

http://www.nexusthegame.com

enjoy

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Anguille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2004, 13:40   #18
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:26
I am always glad to see new space games, but I just can't play those Homeworld rts types. They look great, thought.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2004, 15:30   #19
ChristopherC
Warlord

That is greattt news, Anguille2. Many thanks for the information. I will watch out for it!

Bakalov, if I remember correctly, some one said that the game was not properly balanced in the play-testing so the humans have an inbuilt disadvantage! I just dont think any sort of strategy will work! If that is true, I am dismayed! It must be axiomatic, at least on the easier levels, that unless you are even more incompetent as a space emperor than I am, (I grant you I am no great shakes as a space emperor but I cant be the worst ever to click on a cursor!) you ought to be able to win! This is where a scenario editor, as in Alpha Centauri - Alien Crossfire helped me! I LOVED that scenario editor feature in Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire where you could set up who would be your friends, allies or neutrals before the game started.

Bakalov, for all your attempts to help me, which I do appeciate, I dont think I could ever begin to rival the expansion of other races than human even on the easiest levels. The game just seems rigged against the humans! If I replay the game, there is apparently a MOD, as I told you, which I have yet to test, to give me extra points to award to the humans. I think I will try to use that; I see that as my best hope! But thanks again for your thoughful suggestions.

Things would easier on my heart, which having had a heart attack at Christmas, I must now be more careful of, if I started stamp-collecting instead! But no, for me the most wonderful, the most sophisticated and the most endlessly fascinating and challenging of game challenges lie in space! I think though that if you are, like me, a Sci-fi fan, as I imagine most of you are, no other genre will do!

In short, gentlemen, the basic problem is that we are alive forty to sixty years too early, the AI which will replace our humble home computers will tailor games exquisitely to our tastes, while they are secretly planning to take over the world from us!

Live long and prosper, my friends.
Old April 1, 2004, 03:17   #20
bakalov
Prince

I am sure you can beat them even on impossible with humans. In spite of the lack of ballance. I am sure you can have all of the X's at about turn 130-140 with humans. At the start just go expanding and researching towards the Research Laboratory in physics. Then build and send 5 armadas with maxed out research labs. This should happen at turn ~80-90.

If you are constantly expanding the AI will not declare war except if you hit Ithkul. With those racial picks you can compete with the aliens even on impossible - be sure!

Once you accomodate the 5 X's there will be no problems to beat them - just pick the smallest and eat him. Do not build troops from your race - gargantua or mrrshan or bulrathi will do fine.
Old April 1, 2004, 16:09   #21
ChristopherC
Warlord

Many thanks for the advice, Bakalov...
... will consider it for a future game...

... though with more select and I hope helpful MODs in it!

Like the one giving me more bonus points and possibly Jazkal's 'optimist' MOD if some one can tell me how to apply it! Hey, Jazkal, if you are out there, your MOD sounds interesting about delaying the confrontation between empires. Can you add a read-me to it, please? And also, have you had problems with DirectX errors with it? As I did when I applied it, admittedly in the middle of my present game, which maybe I shouldnt, particularly as it is so modded already! Still, while isnt helping me win, though, the presentation looks better and at least the diplomatic exchanges are intelligible, even grammatical now!

Many thanks again, Bakalov, for trying to be so helpful to me.

God bless and take care, my friend.
Old April 19, 2004, 19:44   #22
Keeblerdawg89
Settler

Hello... I read at least most of the more recent parts of this thread... I got a suggestion of what to do (which almost always works for me) when you get that "DirectX surface..." error... Instead of killing the power or yanking the power cord and hoping Windows forgives you, push the CD drive's eject button! You may have to hold it down until the CD pops out, then just wait a second... If it does or doesn't pop out right away doesn't matter, BUT this will cause your computer to kick out to a new screen asking you if you really want to pop out the CD and also shows the "stop/error" box which shows that MOO3 just committed a major error and will be shut down... Once you got all of that showing, just close MOO3 and any window related to it... If you get a blue screen saying something about or complaining about popping out your CD and more-or-less requiring that it's put back in, then close the CD drive with the disk in it... At this point, your computer should be acting like you simply shut down MOO3 normally or never ran it and can restart the game... And all of that without rebooting your computer in any way......

Next... Editting programs.... In the interest of saving your very threatened empire, there is a save edittor out there called something like Moo3Editv0.51. Make a copy of your save file first in case of bad editting. You'll always get one of those DX surface errors if you do something wrong... You can do many things with it, but I recommend you don't change your population numbers... Adding to your population causes major unrest... Also, you can move startlanes around quite extensively or create new ones entirely!! Be carefull how you do that as deleting existing lanes tends to cause the DX surface errors nearly 100% of the time... But, you can "edit" or move one end or the other of a lane to wherever you like! You can even completely isolate any empire from any kind of access to you unless they go "off-road" (which, I don't think I've ever seen the AI even try to do yet). You can also move your star systems to wherever you want by editting the X/Y/Z coordinates... X is left to right (Orion is usually "zero" with left being more negative and right more positive), Y is up and down (Orion is again "zero" with up being more negative and down being more positive), and Z is more a function of brightness with more positive being brighter... I don't know what the boundaries are for any of those coords, yet, or if it depends on the starting map size... Here's a fun idea (which I actually did)... Start a huge galaxy with 12+ other empires then isolate 70-80% of the stars to being connected only to your system and all the other races have to try to go through Orion to get to your starlanes... Hehehe!! Since they won't be able to do that for a loooooooong time, and aren't likely to go "off-road", that gives you plenty of time and space to do all sorts of stuff and experimenting without any more influence than whatever happens with the Orion Senate (if you're connected to it).

As for modding... I'm just learning that now... I would like to know how (if possible) you can add/remove any specific technologies to the tech tree of any 1 race or type/grouping of races... I have an idea how to go about figuring that out for myself, but want to hear from someone who's already done it so I can get to it faster...
Keeblerdawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2004, 05:05   #23
bakalov
Prince

I think you can mark a tech as mandatory but then it will appear in the tech trees for all races (like space shipyard modules and the different hull sizes).
For the various species you can modify certain constants but I think they only affect the speed at which they research at certain fields and not the appearing techs.
Old April 20, 2004, 20:53   #24
Keeblerdawg89
Settler

Hmmm... What does this setting do?? In Spreadsheets.mob/TechTables ... SpeciesPref section... Down the left column it goes "School_ID" then "TTL" then "TAR"... I got an idea what the first one does, but not sure... I think TTL stands for total percentage of techs you can get, but (so far) changing th value to 100 or to 20 doesn't seem to make a difference... Then there's TAR... No clue what that is for... Anyone got any ideas?? One of those settings may give me a chance to research all the techs... In case you're wondering why I would want to do such a thing, I just want to be able to see how each tech works in-game without having to play every race (maybe at least twice each) in order to see them all... After that, I might be able to see which race will end up with the best over-all techs...

Also, I couldn't find that area you were talking about to mark your techs... Maybe you could tell me which file you're talking about???

Oh... and here's a fun idea.... How to insert/add a new tech not currently being used in the game... Or even to create one from scratch...... I got an idea on that, but not sure of how to do it right... I'll get back to that...

Last edited by Keeblerdawg89; April 20, 2004 at 21:47.
Old April 21, 2004, 08:50   #25
Stormhound
Prince

TTL and TAR are two things that may or may not have been implemented as designed (and since I designed them...)

As originally created (and you have to keep in mind, this was back when you got a lot more choice in which projects you did or didn't pursue), TTL was Tech Tolerance Level, a measure of how quickly much accumulated change your race would accept. Every time you researched a new tech, it added to a number which was compared to the TTL. If your accumulated tech improvements rose above the TTL, you got empire-wide unrest. TAR was Tech Acceptance Rate, which was a number subtracted every turn from the number that got compared to TTL.

The idea was that people would accept a certain amount of change without getting unhappy about it (including reasons like workers getting teched out of jobs, and such). It was meant to make the player decide whether a new available advance was really needed now, or could wait or even be skipped entirely.

The numbers have nothing whatsoever to do with how many techs you get...that is handled in racemodifiers.txt, and is the very last number for each race in the Racemod table (the first one in the file). However, even setting that number to 100 will not guarantee all the techs; there's some additional number-shuffling that goes on which I didn't have a say in, and for which I don't have the formula.

Old April 21, 2004, 11:05   #26
bakalov
Prince

Keeblerdawg89, look in the TechTables.txt for "KEEPTHIS". This string marks the techs that always appear.

Stormhound, I've found that with the races I usually play I research physics and mathematics harder than the other fields. Any idea from where this can be tweaked?
Old April 21, 2004, 20:04   #27
Stormhound
Prince

Nope, sorry.

Old April 21, 2004, 21:02   #28
Keeblerdawg89
Settler

OK... So setting my TTL to 100 and TAR to 0 (if it will accept this) or 10 is a good way to make sure you don't get any unrest from technologies gained... Also going to the "racemod" section of the racemodifiers.txt and changing that last number (66 for most of them) to 100 supposedly can get you all the techs...

I didn't know that was what TTL and TAR meant... THANKS!!

I tried the 66-to-100 change last night and still didn't notice a 100% change or that I was suddenly getting all the techs (note that I picked the Psilons and started new games each time I changed something). I DID find (or think so) a way that guarantees getting all the techs in the tech tree... Under that "racemod" section is a string of values under the "modifiers" column where you can add (within the quotes) "TechKnow+=50" (or more)... If I understand right, that number is the number of techs added to your tech tree over your base/starting tech tree settings including whatever you would've gotten that was random and from some non-cheating game... So... If 50 is more than the number of techs left-over from what you would otherwise get, then you'll get tech-tree adds until they're all out of choices!! Does that sound right?

I'm also thinking that putting the "Keep this" into every tech's appropriate slot would give all races all the techs with that tag... That also sound right??

I'm also trying to figure out a concept to bring back the stargate from MOO2... My thoughts are (so far):
--it would take 2 turns to use, 1st to establish a temp. wormhole, 2nd to move the ships
--it can send non-warp (system-only) ships
--it would be considered a planetary item
--both sending and receiving systems have to have one built
--it should be added to (but only a thought) to military DEA's or the same way shipyards and other "planetary" items are organized
--call it either a Stargate or Temporary Wormhole Creator

I'm also trying to figure out what to do about that tech level limit I'm seeing... 50 levels may be too soon an end to getting all of them... What about a way (like in MOO2 or other games I've played) where you begin researching advanced theories of making the tech types better? In the way this game was constructed, I see no easy way to do it except to outright add new techs to the TechTables file where needed... I've already begun construction such adds, but have them set outside the tables for further contemplation....

Last thing for now... I saw a cheat mod on MOO Guardian (by Zez, I think) which put me on to another idea... Adding more starting options (in the way he did) caused all the headers ONLY to show in the race editting page (after you chose your race) with no descriptions when I think he had good descriptions in his patch... Any ideas what structuring I need to look for so the game will match all that up correctly? I got some ideas already, but want other ideas, too.

...I'm still thinking about other stuff....

Last edited by Keeblerdawg89; April 21, 2004 at 23:05.
Old April 23, 2004, 23:55   #29
Keeblerdawg89
Settler

Here's a biggie.... I'm looking for ideas on how to add the option set to choose a starting planet size? I already know I'll at least need to edit wsRaceDesc.txt and racemodifiers.txt, but I don't know about any other editting...

Also, I tried to add "Very Rich" as an option to starting mineral richness, but can't get the game to pop up the proper sellection description (in that far upper right window of the customize race picks screen). I thought I editted those 2 files to put that into the right place, but that first description always shows the top description of any other option I click on (upper left side) then back to Mineral Richness is what's shown instead... I also changed the kUnicodD and kUnicode info as needed in both files.... Now I'm outta ideas for the moment....
Old April 24, 2004, 22:13   #30
Stormhound
Prince

I don't think you CAN choose a starting planet size. Your starting planet is supposed to be nearly ideal for your race, and size would affect that significantly.