Old March 19, 2004, 16:22   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Good/bad news for future D&D CRPGs
I just saw this on the Atari boards, about a week old now. Posted by "Grok" who is a public relations person for Atari :

Quote:
Thank you for taking my rather obvious bait!

I expect to have an official announcement about the first title out in the next week or two. However, this is a console game and very unlike Temple, NWN, BG, etc. That said, it is absolutely fantastic -- so if you own a PS2 or Xbox you'll want ot keep an eye out for this one.

We'll also be announcing a new D&D title in May. Solid developer but not a RPG. More details to come then.

D&D Online -- this one has been announced and is being handled by the fine folks at Turbine. We'll be showing this game off for the first time in August of this year in Mexico!

There are however, two tentative annoucements we're planning for E3 that should be very big and just what you folks are looking for. I'm a big RPG geek myself and I'm excited...so that tells you something.

We've also got some new NWN stuff in the works that should be pretty cool.

So, lots of D&D goodness in the future.

Grok
He goes on :

Quote:
Some clarification:

The non-RPG game is very much a D&D game...it's just not a RPG (role-playing game). If I tell you what it is, then I'll lessen the impact of the announcement when we make it. It will be PC only.

As a franchise, D&D titles remain predominantly PC, but we are certainly trying to push more of them to console where it makes sense.

We've certainly considered hack-n-slash titles like Diablo, but it's tough to compete with the king -- I still play it occasionally to this day. Not to mention, we're not terribly interested in developing "me too" products.

We're working on new things for the already existing NWN and, of course...oh I better shut up. ;-)

Grok
The page is here :
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...0&pagenumber=2

This looks like one to keep an eye open for, eh?

I'm a big fan of everything D&D related (Oh really Jamski ) so even though its Atari developing this, it could be worth watching out for.

BTW, is that you that posts on there sometimes Grumbold?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 19, 2004, 17:00   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I so so hope it's a war game in the style of Total War, with a D&D setting.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 19, 2004, 17:08   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I hope its a TBS war game in a D&D setting. We shall soon see. This guy is the PR chap for Atari, so I very much doubt he's BSing us. What's more interesting is the promise of D&D titles to be shown at E3, that he, as a RPG man, is excited about.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 17:23   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
This guy is the PR chap for Atari, so I very much doubt he's BSing us.
Why? Atari owns the D&D Franchise now, remember?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 19, 2004, 17:36   #5
gjramsey
King

Local Time: 14:27
Quote:
This guy is the PR chap for Atari, so I very much doubt he's BSing us.
Isn't BS the job of a PR guy?

I am interested to see what the anouncement is though. A D&D TBS would be good news.
Old March 19, 2004, 19:06   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 13:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Why? Atari owns the D&D Franchise now, remember?
Hasbro sold it? I wouldn't think Atari would have enough money to buy it from them.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; March 19, 2004 at 20:24.
Old March 19, 2004, 19:36   #7
Qilue
King

Local Time: 05:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
According to both the Wizard's page and the Hasbro page, Hasbro still owns Wizards which still owns D&D.

Perhaps Atari has bought a licence to make D&D games?
Old March 19, 2004, 19:48   #8
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Atari has exclusive rights to D&D PC (and console?) games, from what I remember.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 19, 2004, 20:09   #9
Jamski
Deity

Actually they have exlcusive rights to the name D&D and the logo and the setting. Strangely enough WotC/Hasbro licence the actual core rules seperately. I know that Bioware, SSI and Atari have permission to use D&D 3rd edition rules at the present time. Only Atari currently has the right to stick D&D on the box though.

Its a mad world.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 20:20   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Its a mad world.
Yeah... that's freaking strange as all Hell!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 19, 2004, 20:25   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I wonder if that was an agreement WotC made before the Hasbro buyout. They would kinda fit their weird style.
Old March 19, 2004, 22:31   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:27
It least they plan to have predominantly PC games still.
Old March 19, 2004, 23:42   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:27
Quote:
Originally posted by gjramsey
Isn't BS the job of a PR guy?
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by gjramsey
I am interested to see what the anouncement is though. A D&D TBS would be good news.
Master of Magic style, HoMM style, or Warlords style?
Old March 20, 2004, 08:25   #14
Jamski
Deity

Any of the above gets from me. I think Warlords style with persistant heros would be good.

Of course, they want to show off WotC's new game-world-setting that's meant to be replacing the Forgotten Realms, so an empire building war game would demonstrate the new countries and factions pretty well.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 10:46   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

If they made an updated smoother version of the Gorgon's Crown in the Forgetten Realms world that would be cool also.
Old March 20, 2004, 10:54   #16
Jamski
Deity

Not going to happen. WotC have "closed shop" on the Forgotten Realms. No more book or game materials, no new licensces. They say its getting old.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 11:30   #17
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Not going to happen. WotC have "closed shop" on the Forgotten Realms. No more book or game materials, no new licensces. They say its getting old.

-Jam

Do It Ourselves
Old March 20, 2004, 11:36   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Sounds like WotC.
Old March 20, 2004, 11:58   #19
Jamski
Deity

Hmmm... I'll reserve judgement untill I see the new sourcebooks for whatever it is they decide to call it.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 12:45   #20
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
No more book or game materials, no new licensces. They say its getting old.

-Jam
They're right. I was getting old. It seems the new world will be called Eberron. There's some info on WoTC's website:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eberron
Old March 20, 2004, 12:54   #21
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
How did you get started?

Because of the scope of the Eberron Campaign Setting (and the fact that it will be reincarnated in novels, electronics games, and miniatures, as well as roleplaying games), it was first necessary collaborate with several people. We set up a meeting with myself, Bill Slavicsek (who channeled Keith Baker), Peter Archer, and our three concept artists: Steve Prescott, Dana Knutson, and Mark Tedine.
I think this quote from the Ebberon art director speaks for itself.

-Jam
Old March 20, 2004, 13:00   #22
Tuberski

Greyhawk was always my campaign setting of choice.

(hints at how long ago I played)

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 20, 2004, 21:41   #23
gjramsey
King

Quote:
Master of Magic style, HoMM style, or Warlords style?
MoM style would be the best of the choices. Warlords would not be bad either, unless it was like the last version... HoMM II or III would be alright also.
Old March 20, 2004, 22:50   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

-Jam

Geez good thing I gave up on learning more about the Forgotten Realms.

Of course that means ive basically given up any real interest in the fantasy genre other than LOTR. (i would still consider a good game, but as for looking into the backstory, forget it)

At least with history you books and other back story materials will always be available
Old March 21, 2004, 03:21   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
I'm expecting it to be like the Sims

looks like all bad news to me. oh well.
Old March 21, 2004, 06:26   #26
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 20:27
Maybe it's a racing game set in a fantasy setting.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old March 21, 2004, 06:28   #27
Jamski
Deity

I've been reading up on the new D&D world. It looks pretty cool. Its kind of fantasy hi-tech, if that makes sense. I'm not talking guns and spaceships, but the equivalent of late 19th Century tech, powered by magic, not by steam or electricity. For example regular train services, powered by magic. Or a water-elemental in a box for washing the clothes.

Makes a change to the normal well-worn medieval+magic setting. This is more Indiana Jones.

-Jam
Old March 21, 2004, 12:34   #28
Urban Ranger
Deity

Like, Arcanum?
Old March 21, 2004, 12:57   #29
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Steam punk D&D? Could be interesting....

(Yeah yeah, no steam. But it's the same sort of feel, I think)

Do It Ourselves
Old March 21, 2004, 13:38   #30
Urban Ranger
Deity

Personally, "technology powered by magic" is an oxymoron. Magic is something people don't understand. Once it's understood, it ceases to be magic.

Just like what Arthur C. Clarke said, "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Something like that.